GW2 Platform Game: Super Guild Wars

in Community Creations

Posted by: Tai Kratos.3247

Tai Kratos.3247

Hello! I’m making a Guild Wars theme old-school styled platform game, and I’m coming here to share it with the community and possibly get some help.

UPDATES
——————————————————————————————>>>
I’ve designed more sprites and fleshed out my plans for gameplay a bit more. Below are two new screenshots! One is of Taimi with her newly sprited Scruffy, and the other is of the Game Over room.

In classic games, when you lose all of your lives, you get booted back to the beginning of the zone and lose all progress. In this, there are a few sparse save stations along the way, but if you do lose all of your lives, you get sent to the Game Over room. In that room, you will be asked multiple choice questions about Guild Wars lore. If you answer three correctly, you get to return to the game with three lives. If you answer questions incorrectly, the rate of the lava rises, the bombs blow, and the spikes squeeze increases. If they reach you, you lose all progress since the last save.

Lore questions won’t be obvious necessarily; they can range from simple questions like who was the god of death before Grenth to choosing which year the Forgotten first arrived in Tyria.

ABOUT THE GAME
The game will follow the story missions of the Prophecies Campaign. The game will have 4 zones, and around 5-8 levels in each zone. The levels will each be based off of a mission in Prophecies, so that makes a total of 25 levels.

Each level will have a primary and bonus objective. The primary objective is just beating the level, the if you complete the bonus objective, you unlock a new character. These characters all have their own unique ways of moving and attacking.

The first time you play a level, you play as Prince Rurik. After that, you unlock Free Play mode. In Free Play you can choose a party of up to three characters that you have unlocked and can switch between them while playing.

Characters come from both GW1 and GW2, so you can fight as Eir with Garm by her side, Taimi riding Scruffy, or Master Togo summoning Spirit Rifts.

WHAT YOU CAN DO
I don’t have a whole lot of time on my hands normally since I’m in school right now. So if people want to help out, they can do that by pixel painting tile sets, bad guys, whatever. Or even just by showing interest here: a little encouragement goes a long way.

If there is enough interest – and if I finish the project – I may continue on to do more games like this, building off what I have in this one. So I would continue to do more GW1 content, such as the Factions and Nightfall campaigns, Eye of the North expansion, and GW2 content. But that’s more like a stretch goal. Right now I just want to get the basic game done.

Below is a screenshot of some old gameplay (working on making the basic functioning parts right now), a close up of Rurik, and a sheet of characters that have been painted so far. The only characters missing are some charr (they’re harder to do and need to be done piecemeal rather than as whole chunks like these).

Characters in order from left to right, top to bottom:
– Shiro Tagachi
– Logan Thackery
– Prince Rurik
– Caithe
– Zojja
– Snaff
– Razah
– Mhenlo
– Devona
– Cynn
– Eve
– Aidan
– Master Togo
– Braham
– Eir
– Scarlet
– Taimi
– Kasmeer Meade
– Marjory Delaqua
– Koss
– Palawa Joko
– Sieran
– Forgal

Attachments:

(edited by Tai Kratos.3247)

in Community Creations

Tai Kratos.3247

UPDATE

Added new screenshots: one of the game over room, and one of Taimi with Scruffy. Very proud of that sprite.

Also, new information about the game:
– The game will take place as a simulation created by Moto. So now I am replacing the gold, silver, and copper coins with baubles and continue coins for lives.
– The game over screen is your chance to return to the game without penalty for losing all your lives: answer three questions about lore, and you get out of the room. Answer wrong enough, or take too long, and you get sent back to your last save point.
– The game will no longer be strictly 8 bit. It was too constraining on visual appeal and color choice to portray all of the characters.
- Naming the game Super Guild Wars. So, yeah.

As a final note, if anyone wants to let me know what characters they would like to see in the game that are not on the list, I’d be happy to take requests and suggestions. Right now, there are 25 so that you unlock them when completing bonus objectives, but I could add more and just have a variety of ways to unlock the extra characters outside of bonus objectives.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Jingy.5643

Jingy.5643

I can’t believe that I missed this thread! This looks and sounds awesome! Can’t wait for another update!

in Community Creations

Tai Kratos.3247

Thanks for the reply! I was beginning to think nobody was interested. O_o

For the next update, I’m working on painting and programming the overworld, programming new characters to switch between, and adding new enemies. I’m also updating the color palette for Ascalon and adding details such as searing crystals and parallax scrolling in the background.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Jingy.5643

Jingy.5643

Cool! I think the people just missed this post! I don’t see any reason why they shouldn’t be interested xD

in Community Creations

Posted by: Cahaya.6208

Cahaya.6208

It’s wonderful!! Keep your great job ^^

in Community Creations

Posted by: Minami Kaori.2548

Minami Kaori.2548

Oh I totally missed this thread! This is fantastic!!

I loveloveLOVE old platformers, this is great!!!

in Community Creations

Posted by: mahri.8410

mahri.8410

Nice Work ! I am eager to play your game. The development is still alive ?

in Community Creations

Posted by: Lethal Njection.8741

Lethal Njection.8741

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

I save Ascalon against another Charr invasion, and my father trifles with doors!

in Community Creations

Posted by: Fossilized Amber.1352

Fossilized Amber.1352

I could help with some logic, what language are you using?