GW2 Soundtrack Editor Tool

in Community Creations

Posted by: Dolkar.7846

Dolkar.7846

What does it do?

It’s a Graphical User Interface for the current soundtrack editing feature in Guild Wars 2. It should allow you to customize what music will be played in any situation in the game in a hopefully easy and intuitive way.

Why should I use it?

Adding custom music in the game is currently a long and inconvenient process. You must create a playlist using some compatible player, name it correctly and paste it in a correct folder. Also, to bypass the random playing feature/bug, you must download or otherwise create an empty music file and include it in the playlist as a first file. This tool does it all for you.

How to use it?

First, you create a new playlist and choose which files you want to include. Then, in the main window, you can select in which situation in the game it will be played. When you’re done, simply close the app and it’s all set!

How to play my own music together with the default one?

It’s unfortunately not possible with the current system. The game does not use these categories for it’s own music. Instead, each zone seems to have it’s own. The only way to accomplish this would be to get the in-game music and add it to the playlist, too. I have a tool that does this, but Anet doesn’t like the idea at all, so I can’t share it with you. Hopefully they will add an option for that, maybe in the form of some switch in playlist’s meta-data.

OK, where to get it?

Here is the sourceforge page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/gw2soundtracked/
Apart from downloading, you can also check out the screenshots or write a review…

If you’ve found a bug, want to suggest a feature or just share your feelings, feel free to post here

Have fun listening!

(edited by Moderator)

in Community Creations

Posted by: DABhand.2079

DABhand.2079

This may be on the verge of being illegal, especially gaining music from servers (although most of the music is from the GW1’s campaigns and GWEN)

in Community Creations

Dolkar.7846

The app itself is completely legal. It only manipulates the playlist files game uses to play your custom music as described here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Customized_soundtrack

in Community Creations

Posted by: Jackard.3071

Jackard.3071

This may be on the verge of being illegal

Don’t bring up legalities when you really have no clue.

in Community Creations

Jackard.3071

This keeps throwing up an error when I try to use a track, saying the file is corrupted and that I need AVbin.

So I installed AVbin, but that didn’t help.

(edited by Jackard.3071)

in Community Creations

Dolkar.7846

This keeps throwing up an error when I try to use a track, saying the file is corrupted and that I need AVbin.

So I installed AVbin, but that didn’t help.

Ooh, my bad! I forgot to include that dependency -_-
Download the archive again, it should now have avbin.dll included.

If you find any other bugs, please let me know!

in Community Creations

Jackard.3071

Another note, this would be much easier to use if it remembered what directory you were last in when opening a playlist.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Nemesis.9560

Nemesis.9560

Awesome! Works flawlessly, thank you for this. I would never have bothered adding my own music the original way.

To those who are reading through replies, here’s how it went:
Download > Unzip > Open .exe > Create a playlist from your music files by highlighting and moving > Name it e.g. City Music > Check the boxes you want the music to apply to e.g. Cities > Open the game.

The music works perfectly based on what you check. It fades and gets louder like “normal” in-game music as well.

Thanks again, Dolkar!

in Community Creations

Posted by: Drakonis.8903

Drakonis.8903

First off, I find it cool that you made this little program, however, I can’t seem to get it to work.
When I just double click the .exe it tells me it couldn’t find the Guild Wars 2 local directory (even though it’s where it should be under Username/Documents/).

When it asks me to find the Local.dat and I open it, it crashes with the following error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "maingui.py", line 576, in <module>
File "wx\_core.pyo", line 7981, in __init__
File "wx\_core.pyo", line 7555, in _BootstrapApp
SytemExit: OnInit returned false, exiting...

I use Windows 7 home 64 bit.
Two things that may be important for bugfixing:
1) I play the game since the beta weekends and never reinstalled the game since I first downloaded it.
2) I’m playing on a German Computer, and do play with German Text and English Voice files.
Not sure if any of the two above actually do have anything to do with the problem, but maybe it’s important.

(edited by Drakonis.8903)

in Community Creations

Dolkar.7846

It should be fixed now. I have no idea why it couldn’t find the folder, but the manual choice works now. I guess I should have tested it more extensively…
Good point Jackard. It now opens the folder where the first file of the playlist is located.

Glad you like it guys

in Community Creations

Drakonis.8903

Thanks for working on it so fast, but I’m afraid it’s not quite working yet.

When I try to add a song to the list, it tells me it needs avbin for compressed media. The avbin.dll is in the same folder as the gw2soundeditor.exe, so I’m kinda confused why it has a problem at all.
Do I need to put the avbin.dll into a specific directory, or is it just a bug and the program doesn’t check correctly for it?

in Community Creations

Dolkar.7846

It’s a weird bug, but not on my part. I downloaded another program that also needs it and it has the same problems even though the library is in the same directory. Then I restarted my PC and it suddenly started to work. So try doing the same.

If it doesn’t work even then, don’t worry, the file will still be added into the playlist and will play correctly in game. The only thing that won’t work is the detection of track length and playing it inside the playlist editor.

in Community Creations

Drakonis.8903

Thanks again for the quick answer.

I restarted and tried it again, but it gives me the same error message. It seems normal for the bug if it’s the same you had, but it doesn’t show the added tracks on the left side of the edit playlist window after giving the error.

It also doesn’t seem to play ingame.

No idea if I did anything else wrong or it’s just a weird bug with my system setup.
Sorry I can’t be more helpful in debugging your program, it’s great that fans of the game create something like this and care enough to try to help within a few hours of each post.

in Community Creations

Dolkar.7846

Thank you for your dedication

I think I found out what might be causing problems on your part… Try to redownload it again, hopefully for the last time now. Also try to copy-paste the avbin.dll to your windows/system32 folder, if it makes any difference for you. That’s the place where it should find libraries for sure.

in Community Creations

Drakonis.8903

Seems to work fine now. It still will say “These files could not be loaded” and show a window of the recently added files, but it does create a playlist and plays the songs ingame.
Thanks!

in Community Creations

Posted by: Selryam A Zephine.8573

Selryam A Zephine.8573

/Signature.

in Community Creations

Jackard.3071

This is pretty frustrating, getting AVbin errors again and after not using this for a week I’ve forgotten how I fixed it the first time. The track previews were actually working before.

I am also Windows 7 64bit.

(edited by Jackard.3071)

in Community Creations

Dolkar.7846

May I…. bump this a little? You don’t mind, right?

in Community Creations

Posted by: fmagrao.1873

fmagrao.1873

Dolkar,
in other forum post, you suggested the gw2music_downloader.exe for who don’t want replace the original soundtrack.

I liked this tool because this knows (and avoids the extreme work to discovering) the right original music of each playlist. But even trying of all ways on my Windows 8 x64 (I don’t know if it is incompatibility), this tool stops at music file “105487” and reports this error on logfile:

Exception in thread Thread-1:
File “threading.pyo”, line 552, in __bootstrap_inner
File “threading.pyo”, line 505, in run
File “gw2music_downloader.py”, line 118, in downloader
File "gw2music
downloader.py", line 47, in downloadAndSave
Exception: Cannot download file…

If you or someone succeeded use this tool I would just like to get a list/playlist showing which original music belongs to each playlist (Ambient, City, Crafting, etc.) to help me only increase the background music without replace the original. But solve this tool’s (software) problem would leave me more sure about.

Have a great weekend!
;D
until…

in Community Creations

Posted by: munkaybiznaz.8067

munkaybiznaz.8067

This is the Error I’m getting trying to open the editor

File"maingui.py", line 579, in <module>
File “wx\_core.pyo”, line 7981, in_init_
File"wx\core.pyo",line7555, inBootstrapApp
File"maingui.py", line571, in OnInit
File “maingui.py”, line 517, in_init_
File “maingui.py”, line 386, in_init_
File “maingui.py”, line 200, in LoadMetadata
File “playlist_tools.pyo”, line 123 in fromFile
File “xml\etree\ElementTree.pyo”, line1177, in parse
File “xml\etree\ElementTree.pyo”, line654, in parse
File “xml\etree\ElementTree.pyo”, line 1636, in close
File “xml\etree\ElementTree.pyo”, line 1488, in_raiseerror
ParseError: no element found: line 1, column 0

Um..what? lol

in Community Creations

Posted by: RipVanWinkleX.9725

RipVanWinkleX.9725

Does not work. Despite the errors, creating the playlists are fine. But the game never plays them.

in Community Creations

Dolkar.7846

Sorry for late response…

fmagrao: Sorry, but Arenanet does not like the downloader at all, so I no longer support that feature.
munkaybizkitten: Now thats weird… It seems the playlists are somehow corrupted… Could you try and delete all the playlists you have in the Music folder? If you don’t want to lose them, you can try just moving the playlists elsewhere and then load them using the playlist editor.
RipVanWinkleX: Could you check if the playlists are in the correct folder according to http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Customized_soundtrack ? Unless Anet changed something, it should work just fine.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Skolia.2408

Skolia.2408

I just wish that Guild Wars 2’s music player had a better randomizer. (It oddly seems to favor certain tracks on each play session.)