GW2 Tabletop RPG Q&A

GW2 Tabletop RPG Q&A

in Community Creations

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

As some of you may know, there is a small group of us putting together a Guild Wars 2 tabletop RPG. We are creating a whole new system to better capture the things that make Guild Wars 2 awesome and amazing!

We have a great team, and are actually making progress!
We are nearing our first Alpha test, and going from there.

You can read some more here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/creations/Guild-Wars-Tabletop-RPG/first#post5043488

Just wanted to give a brief update on whats been going, and to reassure those waiting for the final product, that yes, we are still working on it.

We want this project to be BY the community FOR the community. You guys are great and deserve this!

Also a special thanks and props to our team (you know who you are!)

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

GW2 Tabletop RPG Q&A

in Community Creations

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Will there be jumping puzzles?

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

GW2 Tabletop RPG Q&A

in Community Creations

pdavis.8031

The idea has been brought up, but the implementation on a 2d surface is a bit daunting. But right now it’s onthe back burner as we want to get combat nailed down first.

But we did account for jumping mechanics in the game, so it is something we want to explore and flesh out.

recognize my command!”

GW2 Tabletop RPG Q&A

in Community Creations

pdavis.8031

Also,

Is there some mechanic that you guys particularly enjoy that you would like to see implemented?

recognize my command!”

GW2 Tabletop RPG Q&A

in Community Creations

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

The idea has been brought up, but the implementation on a 2d surface is a bit daunting. But right now it’s onthe back burner as we want to get combat nailed down first.

But we did account for jumping mechanics in the game, so it is something we want to explore and flesh out.

~I hate when I get a New Private Message and get all excited, but then it turns out that some mod just moved a thread~ :/

Actually, that was a bit a of a joke question, but that’s really cool that your group has actually considered it!

Man, I haven’t done any table top adventuring since, ‘84? (I don’t count my friends Axis and Allies game that he recreated on a 8′×5′ sheet of plywood).

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

GW2 Tabletop RPG Q&A

in Community Creations

Posted by: wsp.5097

wsp.5097

Just letting you know that if you are planning to make profit on this I think it can infringe on copyright laws if you did not get permission from guildwars creators to do this.

And even if you aren’t planning to make a profit, it can still be viewed as that. Not trying to be a party crasher, just trying to give a heads up that if your idea gets enough notice you might be questioned about it or told to stop, or worse x_x A lot of companies are pretty severe on what they allow and disallow D;

GW2 Tabletop RPG Q&A

in Community Creations

pdavis.8031

Just letting you know that if you are planning to make profit on this I think it can infringe on copyright laws if you did not get permission from guildwars creators to do this.

And even if you aren’t planning to make a profit, it can still be viewed as that. Not trying to be a party crasher, just trying to give a heads up that if your idea gets enough notice you might be questioned about it or told to stop, or worse x_x A lot of companies are pretty severe on what they allow and disallow D;

That was one of our major concerns before we even started this project.
I was assured by Gaile Gray, that this being a not for profit, community project, that there should be no problems with going forward.

Also from the Content terms of use:
Can I write a story, book, poem, musical composition, etc., based on your game?
We appreciate the creative processes and the passion of our fans, but it’s essential that we maintain commercial control over our product. Therefore, commercial productions are all sourced from ArenaNet and/or NCsoft.

However, as long as such usage follows the parameters listed above, we do permit the use of our game world and our characters in literary or musical pieces intended for personal use only, such as those posted on or released through a non-profit website. We do not permit the unauthorized use of our game world, our characters, or any other elements of our game in any form that involves profit or commercial benefit, such as novels, short stories, articles, unauthorized contest or competition entries, screenplays, action figures, theatrical productions, or other adaptations of our game.
(https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-content-terms-of-use/)
(Bolded the part that concerns this project.)

So as long as we are not trying to make money off of this, and we most certainly aren’t, and provide the proper copyright information (as outlined in the content terms of use) then there should be no problems. As this falls into the “For personal use/(does not) invlove profit or commercial benefit” clause of the terms.

This was asked and answered here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Fan-made-game-in-GW-universe-legalities/first#post4808369

recognize my command!”

GW2 Tabletop RPG Q&A

in Community Creations

wsp.5097

Oooh I see. Then that’s really great ^^

I was just worried cuz it looked like you and your team had put a lot of effort forward on this project, and it would have been really sad to see it become something you had to let go of over something like that >.<

I think that this whole idea sounds really neat, and I wish you guys the best of luck in completing it ^^ Will it be a coded website type deal, or strictly an irl board game? :o

GW2 Tabletop RPG Q&A

in Community Creations

pdavis.8031

Oooh I see. Then that’s really great ^^

I was just worried cuz it looked like you and your team had put a lot of effort forward on this project, and it would have been really sad to see it become something you had to let go of over something like that >.<

I think that this whole idea sounds really neat, and I wish you guys the best of luck in completing it ^^ Will it be a coded website type deal, or strictly an irl board game? :o

We are going for the physical tabletop style game, however for our Alpha tests (and subsequent Beta tests) we will be using an online virtual tabletop (Roll20).
But once we have a compiled set of rules, tables, numbers, etc. there should be no reason that someone couldn’t configure Roll20 (or other virtual tabletop) to those settings and play that way.

recognize my command!”

GW2 Tabletop RPG Q&A

in Community Creations

wsp.5097

Pretty cool. I’ve never heard of roll20 before. I might look into it in the future to see what it has ^^

In any case, I will be following this thread a bit to see what updates you have

GW2 Tabletop RPG Q&A

in Community Creations

Posted by: Boro.7359

Boro.7359

Hold on a second please. Where do I sign up for development?

GW2 Tabletop RPG Q&A

in Community Creations

pdavis.8031

Hold on a second please. Where do I sign up for development?

At this time development is closed. We have our team, and we feel bringing in more at this point will cause more problems than its worth. We do apologize.

However if you have any questions or anything you’d like to see put into the game, please let us know.

recognize my command!”

GW2 Tabletop RPG Q&A

in Community Creations

Posted by: Boro.7359

Boro.7359

Interrupting, Reactions, Prots. From the last document I could make out, there aren’t any of these, and the game is more about trading blows and using up our encounter/daily powers than actively recharging skills, which I find to be a bit of a miss, given how the game is based around these active defenses.

GW2 Tabletop RPG Q&A

in Community Creations

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

There’s one or two other groups trying to do a table top game as well. We have not given out any materials about our game yet so you must have read someone else’s document.

We aren’t ready to release many details but I can say interrupts and reactions are a core part of our combat mechanics and encounter/daily powers don’t exist. This is not a DnD game with a GW2 reskin.