Howto use a XBox360 or PS3 controller

in Community Creations

Posted by: cubed.2853

cubed.2853

Since a video can say more than thousands of words, lets start with a little recording of me playing guildwars 2 with a xbox 360 gamepad:

Guild Wars 2 with gamepad demo gameplay:
http://youtu.be/S4gWY_AZN5k

And here is my solution how you can play Guild Wars 2 with your xbox360 / ps3 or similar gamepad! I’m working on this profile since the very first beta! Sadly the solution is not based on freeware, but you can test it for 30 days and – from my point of view – even just a month worth the setup and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed – just maybe after the 30 days..! ;-) [There are also a lot of free solutions, some can also be found under the link below!]

All you need and more -> http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:Mighty

Basicly all possible commands are mapped onto the gamepad. You have no real disadvantage in fights. It is not as easy to select a target and all the stuff you can do with a fast/precise curser, but in return you are a little bit more mobile. If you are in a group with mouse players, then just let them call the target!

I put a lot of information into the wiki page, however if something is unclear, then I’m glad to help right here.

Please note: This is a very complex and advanced profile. You can do absolute eveything the game offers witout a mouse or keyboard! You wont be able to play it fluent in one day, but I think it is managble in about a week. Concentrate on the important controls first.

Ps: Full HD 3D on TV with gamepad is just absolut amazing! To explain this comment – my TV has a huge input lag with 24hz, but with gamepad it is acceptable – a mouse would be a no go!

Pps: Is anet ok with it? Looks like: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Are-we-allowed-to-play-with-a-gamepad In addition I got not yet banned ;-)

Have some fun and play your way!

Attachments:

it was written…

(edited by cubed.2853)

in Community Creations

cubed.2853

So this is a little bump, hope it is allowed :-)

The reason is that I just added a little demo video Enjoy!

If you are interested: I just noticed that the software my profile is based on offers a 50% discount atm. Sadly there are only two days left…

it was written…

(edited by cubed.2853)

in Community Creations

Posted by: Lyndis.4653

Lyndis.4653

A very nice setup you have there ! Unfortunately I don’t own a PC xbox controller nor a cable to plug my regular controllers.

The price involved for a configuration that is not necessarily often wanted because of the keyboard being required to chat anyway is really a killer though Isn’t there a freeware able to map controls for this to work ?

in Community Creations

cubed.2853

A very nice setup you have there ! Unfortunately I don’t own a PC xbox controller nor a cable to plug my regular controllers.

The price involved for a configuration that is not necessarily often wanted because of the keyboard being required to chat anyway is really a killer though Isn’t there a freeware able to map controls for this to work ?

Well first you need a gamepad, the more buttons the better ^^ Most ppl own a xbox and ps3 pad, like me, so I startetd working with a ps3 pad. Later I bought a xbox pad, because it is so much more ergonomic (for my profile/handsize)! ;-) And yes you cannot live without a keyboard – I myself have always a keyboard in range, but I prefer voive over ip if possible. Also a mouse is a good thing to have too.
In my link @wiki there is a list of free solutions. It is about a year old, so I do not know how usefull those stuff is, but yeah there are indeed a lot of free solutions available. If the wiki does not help, then google will find a lot! However I prefer the paid solution. When I started working on that profile I first tried to use free software, like xpadder. But xpadder is one of the worst programms I have ever seen as software developer and in addition it does not allow to create such a complex profile like I was able with pinnacle. (also it is no longer freeware) I could get into details, but belive me, unfortunatly there are things only pinncale can do. For the basic gamplay a free software is enough for sure, but since I nearly only play with gamepad I was looking for the best I could get.

it was written…

(edited by cubed.2853)