In Loving Memory

In Loving Memory

in Community Creations

Posted by: wondersmith.2305

wondersmith.2305

The woman I have dearly loved for the last 12 years passed away suddenly in May. Deborah and I met in EverQuest, swiftly recognized each other as kindred spirits, and thenceforth duoed together in dozens of MMORPGs. In Guild Wars 2 she was known as Tolitha Furyborn and Shabine Trueshot of our tiny guild Comedy of Errors (COE).

In all those years, talking and playing three hours every night, we never once traveled the 2,000 miles separating us to meet in real life. Yet surely many couples living together never experience the kind of happiness we shared in our explorations of myriad beautiful imaginary worlds.

In her memory, I have assembled a video sampler of the many greeting cards we created for each other out of screenshots from the MMORPGs we played, set to music I composed and performed myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV4AP8Sw-EU

Heartfelt thanks to ArenaNet for creating not one but two of the loveliest worlds in which we adventured. Alas, our tradition of making greeting cards came to an end before the release of GW2, but there are more cards in the video based on the original Guild Wars than any other game. (Indeed, I remember fondly how we lost sleep playing as much as we could in the open beta weekends before Guild Wars’ release.) To help fill the gap, I have attached three GW2 screenshots of us to this post, including one with Deborah’s (adult) daughter.

May this video and post stand as a testament to our profound love, and to Deborah’s creativity, humor, and gentle soul.

—Blake Linton aka Gareth Ironfist and Kurok Minionmaster

Attachments:

In Loving Memory

in Community Creations

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Oh, gee. That video is just too sad. My sincere condolences.

In Loving Memory

in Community Creations

Posted by: globe.7238

globe.7238

Well done, a nice way to remember a great friend. Sorry for your loss.

Imminent Demise » [iD] « Blackgate

In Loving Memory

in Community Creations

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

Sorry for the loss.

& a nice montage of memories

In Loving Memory

in Community Creations

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

So sorry for your loss and thank you so much for sharing this.

In Loving Memory

in Community Creations

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Sorry for your loss

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

In Loving Memory

in Community Creations

Posted by: Sthenith.5196

Sthenith.5196

My sincere condolences, nice video and a true testament on how games can be a bridge between kindred minds.

In Loving Memory

in Community Creations

Posted by: Craray.2603

Craray.2603

My sincere condolences…

In Loving Memory

in Community Creations

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

That’s a beautiful video tribute. I’m so sorry that she’s passed away. It looks like you made some wonderful memories together. Video games can help forge some truly amazing friendships and loves.

In Loving Memory

in Community Creations

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

You have experienced a great light which defies all laws and reason for its absence produces not darkness but greater brightness, in memory and in your heart.

I offer no condolences for your loss but instead congratulations for what you have had.

In Loving Memory

in Community Creations

Posted by: hoewhoew.4619

hoewhoew.4619

I’m so sorry that she’s passed away but I’m also happy that you’ve had this experience and light in your life. The video certainly is a beautiful tribute to your friendship, love and memories.

It’s nice what games or the internet can do when it comes down to forging friendships and it proves yet again that you don’t have to live close to each other to make something work. Keep her in your heart and memories for the rest of your life for I believe she will still be there for you and give you the strength when you need it.

“No memory is ever alone; it’s at the end of a trail of memories, a dozen trails that each have their own associations.”

May she rest in peace even though she will keep on living, through you.

Guardians of the Silver Dragons – Piken Square