Leaves and Embers - complete novel (+art)

in Community Creations

Posted by: Jenosavel.1756

Jenosavel.1756

A young Valiant sets off on her Wyld Hunt with only a vision of colors to guide her. But in her haste to follow what sparse clues she has, she finds herself on a very different journey.

Complete collection! (186 pages) Now available in a single file!
(pdf) | (mobi/epub)

Chapters
---------------------------------------------------
Prologue (AO3) | (pdf) | (mobi/pub)
Chapter 1 (AO3) | (pdf) | (mobi/epub)
Chapter 2 (AO3) | (pdf) | (mobi/epub)
Chapter 3 (AO3) | (pdf) | (mobi/epub)
Chapter 4 (AO3) | (pdf) | (mobi/epub)
Chapter 5 (AO3) | (pdf) | (mobi/epub)
Chapter 6 (AO3) | (pdf) | (mobi/epub)
Chapter 7 (AO3) | (pdf) | (mobi/epub)
Chapter 8 (AO3) | (pdf) | (mobi/epub)
Chapter 9 (AO3) | (pdf) | (mobi/epub)
Chapter 10 (AO3) | (pdf) | (mobi/epub)
Chapter 11 (AO3) | (pdf) | (mobi/epub)
Chapter 12 (AO3) | (pdf) | (mobi/epub)
Chapter 13 (AO3) | (PDF) | (EPUB/MOBI)
Epilogue (AO3) | (PDF) | (EPUB/MOBI)

--

Welcome to my little corner of Tyria!

When I originally had the idea for this story, I thought it would be a quick 5 chapters. Two months and 12 chapters later I finished the first draft. It was 44k words. Now that I’m half-way through revisions it has grown to 47k words. By the time I complete revisions it may grow to near 50k. So apparently I’ve managed to write a Guild Wars 2 novel without particularly intending to.

I’m so excited to be finally sharing this!

--

Characters art!

Attachments:

Leaves and Embers - a fan written GW2 novel (complete!)
Servants of Fortuna [SoF] - We serve fortuna; may she grant us a smile.

(edited by Jenosavel.1756)

in Community Creations

Posted by: Bearzu Smash.5962

Bearzu Smash.5962

I’ve been waiting to check this out. Grats on getting the first chapters up!

Bearzu Smash! - A Blog of a Bear of Very Little Brain
Thorn - A full-length GW2 novel in progress very nearly complete NOW FINISHED! Long gone.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Edusd.7893

Edusd.7893

Only through chapter 1, but a very entertaining read so far! Looking forward to the rest!

-mredus.deviantart.com-

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Glad to hear you like it Edusd! I can’t wait to put up the next chapter (expect it Tuesday).

My revisions process is currently on chapter 7. It’s a really important chapter to the story and is already on its 3rd draft... but I think it’s finally getting where I want it to be.

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Chapter 2 has been added!

in Community Creations

Posted by: Kitcat.1739

Kitcat.1739

I am really enjoying your story so far! The guild wars universe has such potential as a writer’s playground; it’s so nice to see someone who can craft a good story! You’ve also managed to hit a sweet spot for me with this latest chapter – I find the strange relationship between the Asura and Sylvari races very interesting.

Although, in my own travels around Tyria, I’ve happened to spot a red-crystal golem or two, and it’s never a good sign…I noticed your other subtle hints about this as well. Methinks Malomedies could have been a bit more specific in his teachings…
The rather clueless sylvari crowd was entertaining

One thing that jarred me a little when I was reading (and believe me, I wouldn’t bother critiquing if I didn’t think your story was worth the effort)- This line: “The joy in their faces was lost on the asura, however. Her mouth tightened to a thin line…”
Because “asura” is both singular and plural, I had a moment where I had to figure out who “her” was. At first, I thought you meant the group of asura that was there. Small thing, but probably an easy fix if you’re into post-editing.
Another note (and maybe this is a personal preference), be careful with the dog. Animal companions in writing are tricky; I’ve seen many authors OVERwrite the animal in a attempt to endear them to the reader, but it winds up having the opposite effect. Displaying the animal’s actions and emotions is also a tough task, because it can lead to scenes that feel a bit… juvenile. Perhaps less is more? I wish I could give you some real advice about this, but the truth is, if there are any hard and fast rules about writing animal companions, then I don’t know them :/

I’ve been working on my own GW “novel” lately, so I had to laugh when I saw this on your website: “You got X wrong in the lore!” Haha, even with a “creative liberties” attitude, doesn’t it just haunt you sometimes that someone’s going to jump out and shout “wrong Wrong WRONG!” :P

Anyway, great work on this! I look forward to reading more.
(Disclaimer I leave on all my reviews: If you never hear from me again, it’s not you. No, your story doesn’t suddenly suck. If I review you once, it means your a good writer – if I never review you again, it means I’m a bad reviewer.)

“Premade”
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Thank you very much Kitcat! I really appreciate pointing out the awkward sentence, I’ll note it down for my next pass through the story. I’m very much an active editor, and its great to smooth out any wrinkles the readers come across.

Also thank you for your comments about the dog. I’d be curious to hear your opinions on future chapters (if you come back to comment again later), as my writing style towards the animal companions will intentionally change. I over-do them a bit up front on purpose, and I’d be curious to find out if you still think its to much after you’ve read another chapter or two. One of the biggest things in my mind when I do revisions is toning back the obviousness and ham-handedness of previous versions. In the first draft everything was overdone. I said each thing I wanted to say in a dozen different ways. The trick later, then, is to go back and delete all the ones that don’t say it as well. In fact, I can think of a candidate or two for doggy-overdoneness-deletions right off the top of my head. But I purposely won’t come back and edit it until the current pass of my story is done. It helps me be a little more objective if I remove myself in time from the writing.

Heh, I think I put that lore-warning up there precisely so I can stop worrying about if people will latch onto some lore detail they disagree with. I’ve already got a response I can point to, and I just know that if I didn’t have that pre-made response waiting, I’d get caught up in a lengthy debate each time. I’m a lore-lover myself; I know how those debates can get! The XKCD comic comes to mind... "Just one minute, someone is wrong on the internet."

I’d love to see your own novel if you ever post it! I love the GW2 universe. It’s a rich breeding ground for creativity.

in Community Creations

Edusd.7893

I noticed that you said chapters 1&2 are up as well as the prologue. When visiting the link, it listed them as chapters 1-3. Maybe an oversight? Also, still loving it so far!

-mredus.deviantart.com-

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

If you’re talking about the archive of our own links, it’s because they don’t allow for prologues on that site (at least, not as far as I can tell), so they’re counting the prologue as chapter 1. If anyone knows a way to fix that, please share!

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Chapter 3 has been added! }:] Enjoy the ride folks.

(AO3) | (pdf) | (mobi/epub)

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Have some Easter themed chapters! I wish I could claim that the timing of this was intentional, or even that the theme was. It wasn’t. I wrote these chapters in January and I planned their release timing for "when it was ready."

Guess I got a happy accident!

Chapter 4 (AO3) | (pdf) | (mobi/epub)

in Community Creations

Kitcat.1739

Lots of interesting things going on this chapter! The sylvari ghost was certainly…sad/creepy/intriguing. Ah, I see the Easter reference – nice.

I am so glad that Laurel feels the need to rescue Liath; I felt so bad for him, and I was half afraid she would forget about him! Who knows, maybe he will be allowed to just grow his little garden in peace? …no? Too much to ask for? :P

And our innocent sylvari is now a murderer….hmmm. Hmm. Hmmmmmmmmm….bit of a big change for a character; I think you’re handling it well, though. Not callous or vengeful yet, but traumatized. I admit I like this as an opportunity to see Laurel grow as a person a little more – there are times when I have difficulty trying to figure out what she’s thinking/feeling.

Swamps are delightfully eerie in this game, aren’t they? I love that I can recognize the places in your story from the game – without being outright told place names. Good job on the descriptions!

Rescue mission: Hooo!

“Premade”

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Thank you Kitcat! I really love hearing reader thoughts like this. It’s hard to be a good little author over here and keep my mouth shut about what will or will not happen, but I am determined. *zips mouth*

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Woot! Another chapter is added. This is where I get to start playing with character development for the first time.

Chapter 5 (AO3) | (pdf) | (mobi/epub)

in Community Creations

Edusd.7893

Another well done chapter! Always great to see a new chapter up. I really enjoyed the interactions between the various sylvari. Have you any pictures of any of your characters? I seem to remember you mentioning doing artwork also somewhere.

-mredus.deviantart.com-

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Thanks Edusd! I am an artist, though I haven’t gotten around to drawing any of my characters yet. (I haven’t done much fan art in a while)

There are quite a few screen shots of Laurel on my tumblr blog though. Her clothing might vary in the screens from some aspects of the story, if only because she does change what she wears from time to time.

Of the other characters met so far, only Liath, Deorai, and Diriblaine are completely original. The others are all named but otherwise dialog-lacking NPCs that can be found in the world. So while I invented their personalities and embellished their appearances a bit, you can actually seek out Dierdre, Enyr, and Ethni pretty easily if you go looking for them in game.

I’d really like to do some art of all my original characters in this story. I’ve had a lot of fun thinking up their appearances. My favorite is perhaps Diriblaine, though Liath is a close second.

I keep meaning to do some art of all these guys and then running out of time. If I do get around to it, rest assured I’ll toss them up in this thread!

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Okay, actually talking about it made whipping out a drawing too irresistible. Here’s Diriblaine from this week’s chapter 5: Among Wardens. (moved attachment to first post since I can’t get [img] tags to work)

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Here’s another chapter! I’ve definitely split chapter 9 into two now, bringing the total count up to 13. I’m still revising the new chapter 10 and the old chapter 10 that’s now become 11.

Chapter 6 (AO3) | (pdf) | (mobi/epub)

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Chapter 7 has been added! This is my favorite chapter and the first one that underwent heavy re-writes during the revisions process. I hope you enjoy it!

Chapter 7 (AO3) | (pdf) | (mobi/epub)

in Community Creations

Edusd.7893

Hope you plan to release a collected version!

-mredus.deviantart.com-

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Absolutely! I’ll put it out the same time I release the final chapter, I think.

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Chapter 8 is up!

in Community Creations

Edusd.7893

Look forward to it each week, it’ll be sad to get to the end…

-mredus.deviantart.com-

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Thank you! <3 It really warms my heart to hear that. And while I’m sure it’ll be sad to see this story end, at least it’s good that it’ll have an end and won’t just dwindle away forever. I’m putting a lot of work into my ending, I hope it can live up to the rest of the story!

Endings are hard to write well... but I started editing the final chapter today. Chapters 11, 12, and 13 are being edited simultaneously so I can jump around and try getting all my ducks in a row.

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

And Chapter 9! This introduces my personal favorite side character, no question.

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Chapter 10 is up! This and the next chapter were quite fun for me to write.

Also, new character art has been added to the OP.

in Community Creations

Edusd.7893

Posting before I read this time because I know it’ll be great! Also, nice to see a new picture!
edit excellent!
edit 2 I know this isn’t as nice as stuff posted by the real artists around here, but just mywway of saying, thanks! Looking forward to next week!!

Attachments:

-mredus.deviantart.com-

(edited by Edusd.7893)

in Community Creations

Kitcat.1739

d/d eles are so OP, they’ll be fine.

XD Sorry, I couldn’t resist. Still here; still very much enjoying the read! It’s so fun that all this is going on in my favorite map – I can picture everything perfectly. And Agghi is great. All the work you must have put into this story really shows, great job!

“Premade”

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

<3 Thank you so much guys!

I love the drawing Edusd! It’s probably the first time anyone has drawn anything for me since I was a kid. That’s a great expression on her too. It fits so well!

And its funny you say that Kitcat. I love playing (and now writing too) d/d eles. In fact, I think these days Agghi is seeing more play time in game than Laurel (because of course both are based on characters I have in game). My guild was teasing me, "How can Agghi be your favorite side-character when he’s now your main?"

I actually used to hate asura. I hated their pretension, their superiority complex combined with often meaningless technobabble... My first asura character was a female thief who got rerolled around level 7 as a human (who ironically has only made it into the teens anyways). Then later I tried forcing myself again, this time with a male elementalist.

I ended up falling in love with his voice acting in the stories. It had just the right mix of childish enthusiasm and professional sincerity. There was a lot less of the sneering superiority I was used to. It felt out of place for an asura, but I liked it. And thus came to me the idea of little Agghi ...

(possible spoiler, I guess. None of this backstory is directly touched on in Leaves and Embers, though you might want to get to know him naturally first)
... too honest and humble to make it far in asuran society (not to mention he has a girl's name). Turned down by every krewe for offending the colleges on his passing through them (quit one, flunked out of another), and finally finding a place for research within the Durmand Priory. If he's a bit too eager, it's only because he wants to make a name for himself and prove everyone else wrong.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Jeconiah.6871

Jeconiah.6871

Hi there, I read your work and find it refreshing. Your prose is very impressive, and I find Laurel to be a unique character. Her characterization from innocence to veteran is on the sophisticated side, which is hard to accomplish. Chapter 4 was chilling, seeing how much fear can consume us. In this incident, it consumed Laurel. Chapter 10 left me slack-jawed with its cliffhanger. I can hardly wait to read that battle and how Laurel will deal with the Destroyers.

On another note, I recently started playing guild wars, so I’m definitely no lore expert, but as a novel it holds up well with the plot, interesting dialogue, character development, and action. Please keep on writing because we need more fantasy writers. And by the way, if you enjoy reading as much as writing, feel free to check out my published fantasy novel, The Vagrant Chronicle. It’s available on Amazon via kindle and paperback. If you ever find your way to it one day, I hope you enjoy it. In the meantime, I’ll be waiting for chapter 11. Have a great day!

Paul Louis Centeno
www.PaulCenteno.com

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Thank you Jeconiah! I always feel like my prose is still a bit weak, and that I’m struggling through character development. The initial plotting of my arcs is the easiest part; the rest I just have to rehash over and over until it starts to look readable. Some chapters got by with only 2 drafts, but some of them needed 4 or 5 drafts before they got to where the are.

It makes me really happy to know that you like where its at. I am indeed a reader, but with a huge stack of must-reads and not nearly as much time as I’d like to sink into them. I’ll stick The Vagrant Chronicle on my list and hope I can find you again to comment when I finally get the chance to read it.

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Chapter 11 is a go! We’re closing in on the home stretch now. Strap yourselves in!

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Chapter 12 is here! That moment you’ve surely been waiting for...

in Community Creations

Edusd.7893

Best chapter yet. I knew puppy wasn’t gone for good, but it still almost got me all misty at work! Outstanding.

-mredus.deviantart.com-

in Community Creations

Kitcat.1739

Ahh, such a relief to have the rescue mission underway! And successfully, too (or, sorta. I happened to like her woefully deceased “shy friend.” I suppose it’s GW2 tradition to off these pleasant people, though XD ).

And from the last chapter I wanted to mention: for (I’m assuming) side characters, the vigil group certainly are a charming bunch.

Also, there was one cut-scene I wanted to bring up: Now, I truly am a fan of the cut-scene. It cuts through the technicalities that a reader might not even care about, it lets everybody get on with the story, and lord knows it saves the writer some work. I use them whenever I can…maybe too much. One of my beta readers read my stuff recently and said something to the effect of: “Yeah, this is really great, you’re really good…um, so what happened from point A to point B here?” …..ugh. She was right though, so now I’m thinking I might actually do the unthinkable and edit. Shudder. ANYWAY, how this relates to you: I’m just really, really curious about what happens after the fight with the destroyers.
So maybe, possibly, if you’re bored one day and want to write a fill-in-the-gap short story…

OH! And I also wanted to comment on your art: It’s wonderful! I love how full of character it is!

I ended up falling in love with his voice acting in the stories. It had just the right mix of childish enthusiasm and professional sincerity. There was a lot less of the sneering superiority I was used to. It felt out of place for an asura, but I liked it. And thus came to me the idea of little Agghi …

(possible spoiler, I guess. None of this backstory is directly touched on in Leaves and Embers, though you might want to get to know him naturally first)
... too honest and humble to make it far in asuran society (not to mention he has a girl's name). Turned down by every krewe for offending the colleges on his passing through them (quit one, flunked out of another), and finally finding a place for research within the Durmand Priory. If he's a bit too eager, it's only because he wants to make a name for himself and prove everyone else wrong.

Thank you for posting some of Agghi’s backstory! I’d be lying if I said Agghi wasn’t quickly becoming one of my favorites. Haha, I was wondering about his name. Someone’s parents were expecting something a little more on the female side, perhaps? And I absolutely agree with you about the voice acting; in fact, I think it’s the best one in-game, for the reasons you mention.
I’m really curious to see how Laurel’s hunt plays into everything, too. As always, thanks for writing!

“Premade”

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Thanks for the kind words and reader’s insights! It’s always so nice to hear what you’re thinking as you go along.

I’m actually kind of surprised by the reaction people are having to my cut scene there. You’re not the first to ask me what might go in that blank. It’s probably one of the first places I’ll flesh in more next time I get around to writing on this piece (which will likely not be for a while, I think I need to let it rest for a bit now).

Agghi’s just a little bundle of amusement for me, and he’s got quite a bit of back story to him as well. I’ve been toying around with super short-shorts for him on tumblr. If you liked that little synopsis you might like these two short Agghi journals in particular:

- How Agghi got his name
- Agghi’s college (mis)adventures

There are also a few "research papers" for the Priory on more taboo subjects in there, because there just isn’t any research he’s afraid of.

Edit: I promise the final chapter is coming. Literally an hour before I would have posted the final chapter I had a boot drive failure. Thankfully my data harddrives are separate from my boot drive, so the fic is safe and sound and complete... I just can’t access it to post it at the moment.

I’ll keep you updated.

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Ha ha! Computer issues conquered for the moment.

Chapter 13
(AO3) | (PDF) | (EPUB/MOBI)

Epilogue
(AO3) | (PDF) | (EPUB/MOBI)

in Community Creations

Edusd.7893

Brilliant! A beautiful ending. I really enjoyed meeting your characters and joining in their adventure. While sad that the tale has reached its end, I look forward to seeing what you create next. Thanks again for sharing!

-mredus.deviantart.com-

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

The complete story is now available in a single file. In this formatting, it weighs in at a cool 186 pages.

PDF version: http://www.jenniferhoffman.net/leave...and-embers.pdf
E-Reader version: http://www.jenniferhoffman.net/leave...and-embers.zip

If you’ve been waiting to put it on an e-reader, now’s your chance.

in Community Creations

Kitcat.1739

Congratulations on completing your novel! Wow, that must feel great – and you should definitely be proud!
I think you’ve told a great story – and I was realizing that as I was thinking about your characters at the end and how I like them better now than at the beginning (which is the whole point, anyway). They’ve been through a lot, but now as I think about them in their world, they seem “fuller;” wiser, more deserving of respect.
I loved the sylvari Niahm’s advice; a nice way to end the epilogue. Did that “cycle of noon casts the sharpest shadows” stuff come from in-game, or is that an original? It’s very good.

Thanks for pointing me towards Agghi’s journal! His anecdotes are delightful.

Again, thanks for all the time and work you put into writing this so that us readers could come along on the adventure with you!

“Premade”

(edited by Kitcat.1739)

in Community Creations

Jenosavel.1756

Thank you!

Niamh’s line there doesn’t come from the game itself, at least not that I’ve seen, but the metaphorical push and pull between light and shadow is a pretty common theme in fantasy, and the sylvari with their idealized view of the world seem to fit right into that (even Fear Not This Night). But one thing that’s often left out when a world is poetically boiled down to light vs shadow, is that light can’t exist without shadow unless you’re in a void. As soon as there’s an object, an actor, then light and shadow become inescapably intertwined. Learning to add that layer of complexity onto their fairy-tale world view represents, to me, a sylvari variety of maturity and wisdom.

And I felt like Laurel needed that last little push at the end. She’d come so far and through so much, but she still hadn’t really come to terms with her deepest inner conflicts. She’d beaten them into submission rather than deal with them, and I wanted to see her at least started on that path before I let her go. I like to imagine the day, a long time from now, when she sits down and really thinks about what happened with Caiomhe. I know she’s not ready for it yet, but someday she will be and it probably won’t be the most comfortable of days for her.