Sodapoppin on GW2

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: Vegeta.2563

Vegeta.2563

So I’m watching Sodapoppin ( http://www.twitch.tv/sodapoppin ) playing GW2. He’s lvl 32, and already has almost 3,000 gold. -_-

Is this even legal for people to be sending him gold after gold?

This Guild Is Fire [PRUF]

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: Twitch.4635

Twitch.4635

Pays to have a following I guess.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Aye it is legal.

Seems like a waste though, seeing as he will probably move on to the next “cool thing” rather soon.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Who is this guy and why should I care?

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

People on Twitch are some of the most generous people I’ve ever seen, honestly. Either that or they just have a whole lot of disposable income. The amount of paid subscriptions some casters can get during basically every single stream they put out never ceases to amaze me.

So I can’t say I’m surprised it extends to in-game currencies as well. Even to the point of ridiculousness.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Vegeta.2563

Yeah thats what I’m saying. He’s getting about 600g an hr from mails. I wish someone gave me free gold.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Yeah thats what I’m saying. He’s getting about 600g an hr from mails. I wish someone gave me free gold.

Come up with something people want to watch and maybe they will. Personally I’d never give a copper to a streamer. I just think it is silly to watch other people play video games.

The Burninator

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

he seems like a kittenbag, how does he hold 10k viewers

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

lordkrall.7241

he seems like a kittenbag, how does he hold 10k viewers

I would assume because he seems to be jumping from the cool thing of the day to the next cool thing of the day.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: Aviate.1376

Aviate.1376

He has problem with hearths, i dont know why people fallow him. He is totaly unskilled player.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Vegeta.2563

lol, people are telling him to buy a legendary at lvl 32.. I’m like no.. Copper Fed Salvage-o-Matic then a permanent bank contract would be a lot better lol

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

lordkrall.7241

lol, people are telling him to buy a legendary at lvl 32.. I’m like no.. Copper Fed Salvage-o-Matic then a permanent bank contract would be a lot better lol

And also completely pointless, since he will probably stop playing rather soon anyway.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

Sodapoppin will most likely be a very good addition to the sPvP scene.

For those who don’t know him, he was one of the biggest people in the arena seasons in WoW (Top of the ladder on several occasions, top feral druid many times). Imagine Abjured in WoW but with a 20k average following 15k on a SLOW night. He is sometimes responsible for half of WoW’s total viewers on twitch which is generally top 4 of the board which GW2 struggles with.

There are many benefits to getting him to stay such as:

1. higher sPvP scene and overall awareness of the competitive scene in guildwars 2
2. higher streamer views which is something Anet values

Getting him into sPvP will be extremely positive for the mistpedia tournaments just for the sake of game exposure and the exposure of our competitive culture to average internet viewers if he begins to formulate and get really good at the game. If all the top WoW arena players jump kitten with SodaPoppin, that is basically good bye to a huge chunk of community exposure for WoW and more for GW2 which is something we should be wanting as part of a player base that wants this game to be a better and bigger thing.

Tons of upsides with very little downsides.

Getting him to stay with us has many benefits to it.

EDIT: As someone who wants this game to be the best it can be with the biggest and strongest communities it can possibly get, I see no problem with ensuring he gets an enjoyable experience with the game.

(edited by IllegalChocolate.6938)

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

He’s hilarious, watching him die in Ascalon Catacombs xD

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Soooo…. is this whole “rant” thread really just an advertising ploy? For me, I’d rather log in and actually play than watch someone else. Unless someone’s on an opposing server in WvW, than I do enjoy hunting and ganking them.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

For those who don’t know him, he was one of the biggest people in the arena seasons in WoW (Top of the ladder on several occasions, top feral druid many times). Imagine Abjured in WoW but with a 20k average following 15k on a SLOW night. He is sometimes responsible for half of WoW’s total viewers on twitch which is generally top 4 of the board which GW2 struggles with.

1. higher sPvP scene and overall awareness of the competitive scene in guildwars 2

Getting him into sPvP will be extremely positive for the mistpedia tournaments just for the sake of game exposure and the exposure of our competitive culture to average internet viewers if he begins to formulate and get really good at the game. If all the top WoW arena players jump kitten with SodaPoppin, that is basically good bye to a huge chunk of community exposure for WoW and more for GW2 which is something we should be wanting as part of a player base that wants this game to be a better and bigger thing.

thanks, thats the history i was looking for, his past broadcasts are pretty mixed between wow, csgo, cod something, and random crap more recently.

i generally only turn on gw2, lol, or people i like who used to play those or d3, so im mostly clueless / dont care about wow or hearthstone or whatever else and dont know the high viewer count people.

hope his viewers disburse to the other gw2 streams a bit too, although we can probably do without crowdsourced in-game funding for streamers. kinda ruins the experience.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

IllegalChocolate.6938

For those who don’t get “streaming videogames” and why people watch them.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/26/6068993/this-is-why-people-want-to-watch-other-people-play-video-games

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: Timelord.8190

Timelord.8190

So I’m watching Sodapoppin ( http://www.twitch.tv/sodapoppin ) playing GW2. He’s lvl 32, and already has almost 3,000 gold. -_-

Is this even legal for people to be sending him gold after gold?

Why wouldn’t it be legal? lol, you seem jelly :P

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

IllegalChocolate.6938

thanks, thats the history i was looking for, his past broadcasts are pretty mixed between wow, csgo, cod something, and random crap more recently.

i generally only turn on gw2, lol, or people i like who used to play those or d3, so im mostly clueless / dont care about wow or hearthstone or whatever else and dont know the high viewer count people.

hope his viewers disburse to the other gw2 streams a bit too, although we can probably do without crowdsourced in-game funding for streamers. kinda ruins the experience.

Part of the hope is for some of the rain to come down to other people. Maybe some of them will buy the game themselves to “play” along with the stream.

People buying games because he is playing it is not a foreign thing.

For those of you who don’t go to twitch, WoW will get to upwards of 35 or even 50kviewers in a session, Half of that is always sodapoppin. As of now, GW2 has more viewers than WoW because of him. That is consistent free advertisement for Anet.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

This guy is a hardcore WoW player. Why is he playing GW2 now? Got tired of WoW? Or is it because the upcoming HoT expansion looks so awesome?

Not to talk trash about GW2, but if I had the time and money to play WoW on a hardcore level, I wouldn’t be playing GW2. I only prefer GW2 over WoW because it has better combat, because it’s free and it’s casual-friendly (and with casual I mean time-wise, not skill-wise, though I guess GW2 is also friendly for casual-skilled players).

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

IllegalChocolate.6938

This guy is a hardcore WoW player. Why is he playing GW2 now? Got tired of WoW? Or is it because the upcoming HoT expansion looks so awesome?

Not to talk trash about GW2, but if I had the time and money to play WoW on a hardcore level, I wouldn’t be playing GW2. I only prefer GW2 over WoW because it has better combat, because it’s free and it’s casual-friendly (and with casual I mean time-wise, not skill-wise, though I guess GW2 is also friendly for casual-skilled players).

He was scrimming with some of his buddies which were all top of the food chain arena players in WoW. He wanted to try out his friend’s character, in public, and due to how exposed he is his WoW acct was terminated perma.

His fault of course, unfortunate blow to the community which blizzard had no choice but to accept due to their strong stance on their ToS.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

People’s time worth so little?

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

LucosTheDutch.4819

He was scrimming with some of his buddies which were all top of the food chain arena players in WoW. He wanted to try out his friend’s character, in public, and due to how exposed he is his WoW acct was terminated perma.

His fault of course, unfortunate blow to the community which blizzard had no choice but to accept due to their strong stance on their ToS.

Ouch. I would have been devastated if I spend so much time and effort on my WoW account, only to see it being perma-banned. Man, I kinda feel sorry for him now. There is no way for him to get it back?

So because of this he switched to GW2? I hope he’ll like it and stay.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: Benjamin.7893

Benjamin.7893

Unfortunately his reasons for playing gw2 (boring pve endgame in WoW and stale pvp) are some things that gw2 doesn’t have either. Pvp has basicly been unchanged for a year, even the meta has been the same for almost a year (april 2014). As for pve endgame he already said gw2 had none, but realised that this was gw2’s major flaw and that the devs would be foolish not to fix this in the expansion (which seems very hopeful and I frankly doubt it’s gonna happen).

So all in all I can’t see him staying.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

JustTrogdor.7892

Out of curiosity I watched a few minutes. I didn’t see much value in it. He was in AC and it was basically him running around with very little narrative aside from, “Ohh kitten. Ohh shi.. I’m on fire. . Ohhkitten. Oh sh..”

I guess people find that entertaining. If so I don’t have a problem with it. It isn’t for me.

The Burninator

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

LucosTheDutch.4819

Unfortunately his reasons for playing gw2 (boring pve endgame in WoW and stale pvp) are some things that gw2 doesn’t have either. Pvp has basicly been unchanged for a year, even the meta has been the same for almost a year (april 2014). As for pve endgame he already said gw2 had none, but realised that this was gw2’s major flaw and that the devs would be foolish not to fix this in the expansion (which seems very hopeful and I frankly doubt it’s gonna happen).

I disagree on the pvp thing. Sure, it’s not perfect, but compared to WoW’s pvp, GW2’s pvp is actually pretty decent.

And obviously HoT is gonna address a lot of issues that GW2 has now, in both pve and pvp.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

LucosTheDutch.4819

Out of curiosity I watched a few minutes. I didn’t see much value in it. He was in AC and it was basically him running around with very little narrative aside from, “Ohh kitten. Ohh shi.. I’m on fire. . Ohhkitten. Oh sh..”

I guess people find that entertaining. If so I don’t have a problem with it. It isn’t for me.

You can’t expect someone to be funny 24/7. Back in the old days when I was playing WoW myself I was a huge fan of Sodapoppin. He’s actually really funny a lot of times.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

IllegalChocolate.6938

Ouch. I would have been devastated if I spend so much time and effort on my WoW account, only to see it being perma-banned. Man, I kinda feel sorry for him now. There is no way for him to get it back?

So because of this he switched to GW2? I hope he’ll like it and stay.

He has been trying a whole portfolio of online games but continues to come back to GW2, that is atleast a hopeful sign.

There is no way for him to get his acct back due to the nature of the ban, Blizzard won’t even let siblings share accounts, you have to be a parent/guardian otherwise its bannable perma with no way to get it back even if its for your wife.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

JustTrogdor.7892

You can’t expect someone to be funny 24/7. Back in the old days when I was playing WoW myself I was a huge fan of Sodapoppin. He’s actually really funny a lot of times.

I wasn’t expecting funny. I wasn’t expecting anything for that matter but I viewed to see what was so entertaining. From what I watched, and granted that was maybe 4-5 minutes, it was “Ohkitten. ohh sh.. ohhkitten. oh.. sh…” over and over as he played through AC. I didn’t find it interesting at all. Maybe because I have run AC enough times to make my eyes bleed and maybe because (from what I watched) he just curses most of the time through the game play.

To each their own I guess.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

LucosTheDutch.4819

I wasn’t expecting funny. I wasn’t expecting anything for that matter but I viewed to see what was so entertaining. From what I watched, and granted that was maybe 4-5 minutes, it was “Ohkitten. ohh sh.. ohhkitten. oh.. sh…” over and over. I didn’t find it interesting at all.

Like I said, you can’t expect someone to be funny 24/7. It’s one of the reason why I almost never watch streams and only watch edited YouTube videos. Streams are almost always boring 80% of the time, while edited YouTube videos usually only show the funny highlights.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

IllegalChocolate.6938

I wasn’t expecting funny. I wasn’t expecting anything for that matter but I viewed to see what was so entertaining. From what I watched, and granted that was maybe 4-5 minutes, it was “Ohkitten. ohh sh.. ohhkitten. oh.. sh…” over and over. I didn’t find it interesting at all.

Like I said, you can’t expect someone to be funny 24/7. It’s one of the reason why I almost never watch streams and only watch edited YouTube videos. Streams are almost always boring 80% of the time, while edited YouTube videos usually only show the funny highlights.

You ever watch Darksydephil gaming? I think the man is a genius.

:)

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: Eviscera.9703

Eviscera.9703

This is good for the game. Calm down ladies. Are your kittens tingeling of excitement because a big streamer is playing GW2?

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

JustTrogdor.7892

Like I said, you can’t expect someone to be funny 24/7.

Again I never even mentioned expecting funny. My feedback was based on entertainment value . I found none. I found a player cursing their way through AC. There is nothing new or entertaining about that.

When I joined this discussion I did so based on perceived entrainment value of watching streams. Humor was not part of the discussion. You don’t have to be funny to provide entertainment.

I find little entertainment value in watching others play video games and the few minutes I spent watching that stream only helped confirm my feelings on the issue. That’s just me. If you like that sort of thing then I don’t have a problem with it.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: Benjamin.7893

Benjamin.7893

I disagree on the pvp thing. Sure, it’s not perfect, but compared to WoW’s pvp, GW2’s pvp is actually pretty decent.

And obviously HoT is gonna address a lot of issues that GW2 has now, in both pve and pvp.

I didn’t say GW2 pvp was bad. Soda likes WoW pvp, but it has been stale for him. Gw2 pvp atm is the definition of stale.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: Rapchez.5371

Rapchez.5371

It’s nice to see Guild Wars 2 in the front page of Twitch TV I think it deserves the recognition. He’s just trying out Guild Wars 2 from the looks I think he will hit max level and from there he will decide if he will stick around.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

GW2’s pvp being decent? This is a game where 4 engineers and an ele won world.

That being said, he’s only here cause HoT is a huge topic going around. It’s the new hottness because, much to everyones expectations WoD blew.

However, I can’t wait till he hits 80, and goes to try to buy precursors to get a set of legendaries because he thinks they’ll help him. Then go to make a full set of beserker ascended gear on his Thief to get literally steamrolled.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Pays to have a following I guess.

Just noticed your name, lol.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

IllegalChocolate.6938

GW2’s pvp being decent? This is a game where 4 engineers and an ele won world.

That being said, he’s only here cause HoT is a huge topic going around. It’s the new hottness because, much to everyones expectations WoD blew.

However, I can’t wait till he hits 80, and goes to try to buy precursors to get a set of legendaries because he thinks they’ll help him. Then go to make a full set of beserker ascended gear on his Thief to get literally steamrolled.

He learned combo fields before level10, I’ve seen lvl 80 fractal runners who don’t know how to effectively take advantage of combo fields with 10k+ cheerio points. All he needs to do is Look, Listen, Learn, and React and he can do whatever he wants successfully.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: Arkinos.7245

Arkinos.7245

Guess it takes a streamer with an existing viewerbase to make GW2 worth watching.

Cant imagine that he manages to keep up interest with pve content though.
Pve in mmos is incredibly boring to watch regardless of game.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Guess it takes a streamer with an existing viewerbase to make GW2 worth watching.

Although it was amusing to watch WoW’s viewers fall to <400 today. Really shows how much that it’s the personalities that get views – the “Twitch Celebrities”, not the games or number of players they have

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: Arkinos.7245

Arkinos.7245

Although it was amusing to watch WoW’s viewers fall to <400 today. Really shows how much that it’s the personalities that get views – the “Twitch Celebrities”, not the games or number of players they have

Yeah if its not a moba or csgo, nobody out there gives a kitten most of the time.

Then again watching pve crap or the completely random pvp modes of GW2 isnt really fun.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

IllegalChocolate.6938

My personal preference on streaming content is that I like to watch people struggle through content.

When the sPvP weeklies come along and its the finals with abjured vs whatever, I close the stream. Why? I already know its gonna be a land slide victory with abjured so where’s the excitement? Mega speed clear dungeon streams with tons of corner kitten? closed, why? there’s no struggle, its just another fast efficient run with the end result always being the same, there’s no sense of danger or excitement or struggle with the pawns coming off like their gonna die any second with fear of whats gonna happen next.

That last AC run that sodapoppin did I enjoyed, he had no idea what he was doing and the party was struggling (he was using p/p on the borrows trying to play the best he could and just fumbled despite having 5 players for the event). I like content like that. Solo runs are also entertaining because it takes a lot more stones to do that successfully especially when the streamer is struggling with everything vs running a full 5 man group of efficiency meta comps.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: Lippo.5970

Lippo.5970

Uhm this is totally wrong, the one you are talking about is Reckful, a former blizzcon contender ( and champ?) in WoW Arena.

Sodapoppin is just bored of WoW as myself and not banned at all.
He just wanted to try a new mmo and guild wars 2 was one of them, and for the gold part, he could stand in Stormwind (capital of alliance side) and get gold for whatever he wanted, he got litterally gold capped in WoW from gold he recieved from his viewers.

But you spend it on whatever you want, so its not illegal to give him gold ..

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

No, that’s not Soda that’s another streamer, Sodapoppin simply got bored of WoW and quit, so he’s looking for a new MMO as his main, right now gw2 seems to be the one.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Sodapoppin on GW2

in Community Creations

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

Yeah im quite jelly. Back in the headstart I was happy to have 30 silver at lvl 32, LOL. Those repair fees x.o