Posted by: AnAltruisticEgoist.5476

AnAltruisticEgoist.5476

What are your thoughts on this??

(edited by Moderator)

Talking GW2 expansion (long overdue)

in Community Creations

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

Yeah just watched it. I kinda want to rase hell over it. My cash shouldnt be going any were but to this game, Kitten NCsoft. if some of this was to reimburse the cash that was used to make GW2 than fine but how much of this is going to GW2, and How much did Box sells make them.

and when will A-net start being able to get there real cut from the gem store.

in Community Creations

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

This is not really something new.
This is how every single company ever created have done stuff.

Of course 100% of the income will not go straight back into the game.
Why would anyone want to do a game if they earned nothing from it?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Community Creations

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Wow OK this explains alot. Thanks for the link. Its funny how you smell somthing bad and then someone points out whats causing it :p

in Community Creations

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’m laughing so hard I’m crying…..

You know, I generally like Dontain’s videos (they make me laugh), but this one….yeah he’s just grumpy.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I’m not really sure.

I have spent pretty much money on the gemstore to buy vanity items and such, do none of the money I spend go to ArenaNet?

If that is true then it’s sad.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

Well, at least I understand now why this game hasn’t moved an inch in the direction I was hoping it would: an epic, dynamic world with player actions having at least some measure of influence on it. What we have is a ton of (great) mostly solo leveling content, a bunch of dungeons filled with kitten bosses and extremely unsatisfying PvP. Back to vanilla WoW for me.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Sinifair.1026

Sinifair.1026

I have to state, before saying anything else, that I really like GW2, it shows great potential and has done that since the beta’s.
- Still, I have to agree with him. When we payed for WoW money were used to create new permanent content.
The old questing system was improved with phasing, there are now scenarios (though I have never tried these). Basically, they have improved some of the core gameplay elements of WoW, and yes, they dumbed it down when it comes to the hardcore content.

ANet should improve on their content as well.
- I mean, I saw the manifesto before launch and the beta testing, and I expected to see the kind of content they were talking about, although I did not expect a perfect first attempt. Therefore they should improve this core gameplay so that the game itself improves and gives people more incentive to actually play. It will also serve for them to better design content for future expansions, or just zones.
- I don’t want new zones to become like Southsun Cove did. It was empty, no one was there. I hope some permanent content makes its way to Southsun Cove to make it bloom with players, but otherwise, this game has a long way to go before it reaches the peaks of its potential.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Seercull.1495

Seercull.1495

You know, I’ve been subscribed to Dontain for a long time now but I don’t really know how to look at this video: Saying that GW2 is totally stale is obviously not true and that every part of new content sucks is neither. The Molten Facility has been the dungeon with the best design so far and there is a new one coming in a week. GW2 is more consistent with updates than any other MMO I’Ve played so far and even if they might not be as big as an expansion, they keep me playing.

But yes, I agree, that some things in GW2 don’t seem like ArenaNet’s style. The fact that Europe and the States made up only 13% while Korea made up 64% really frightens me. I want to know HOW MUCH say NcSoft actually has in the development of GW2. At the moment, GW2 seems so catered to the Korean market and I don’T want to be racist but those guys seem to like all the RNG and farming bullkitten.

Gw1 has shown me the design philosophies of ArenaNet. I cannot recognize them in GW2 as clearly as I was once able to. But noone really has intel on how much NCSoft can influence the development of the game. For example, I heard that there was no Canthan expansion coming up because NCSoft didn’T want to localize it for Korea or something, some cultural thing. Now that really sucks and chockes creativity. I wish ArenaNet could be independent, I’d even pay subscription fees for it.

/E: I think Reddit is a better place to have those discussions although a lot of guys seem to be full of kitten over there

in Community Creations

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

The one thing where this guy is completely off the mark: Arenanet HAS to receive some % of gem store sales. They do get paid, they have hired a lot since launch, because the game is growing. Where is his proof that the 10$ I might spend goes 100% to NCSOFT. How does he know? His perception on what he read in that article? You are raging about that?

Also, early on they said they are going to make frequent smaller updates…get this, for free.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

in Community Creations

cesmode.4257

Also, when he compares WoW. Blizzard takes your 15$ a month for 6 months, and then gives you content in the form of a new dungeon, a new raid, and a new island. Takes 15 bucks for another 15 months, and then gives you the same three things,

Arenanet gave you content for for free, much more frequently.

in Community Creations

Seercull.1495

The one thing where this guy is completely off the mark: Arenanet HAS to receive some % of gem store sales. They do get paid, they have hired a lot since launch, because the game is growing. Where is his proof that the 10$ I might spend goes 100% to NCSOFT. How does he know? His perception on what he read in that article? You are raging about that?

Also, early on they said they are going to make frequent smaller updates…get this, for free.

Look, I respect your optimism but you have to lower the pink glasses at some point. Lookin at what is happening now, you can be pretty sure that alot of money goes to NCSoft and not to ArenaNet. Usually, the publisher gets more money per sale than the developer.
And just because the game is growing doesn’t mean that it’s all fine and dandy for ArenaNet. Most living story updates seemed.. underwhelming compared to what Arena Net had in mind, I’m sure. You do have some valid points and as I said Dontain’s arguments are a little off here and there, but to me it seems like ArenaNet’s design philosophies are altered by NCSoft’s plan to cater the game towards an RNG heavy grindfest-liking audience in form of the Korean market that makes up more than 5 times of the sales that Europe/NA do.

in Community Creations

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

GW2 is probably getting to a state where it could potentially be its own producer, cutting NCSoft out of the picture, which would give them more freedom. However, whether or not this happens is not something anyone has discussed publicly, and probably won’t unless something major happens.

As such, for as long as NCSoft is publishing Anet’s games, they will take a % of all sales, probably the lion’s share, so to speak, to cover production of the boxes and such. So, while Dontain is not wrong, he is not completely correct either in stating that gem store purchases go to NCSoft.

Now, his ‘assumption’ that all the funds get pooled and then they decide what to spend it on is not accurate either, unless NCSoft is very broken. Generally speaking, a company tracks how much it is making from which product, and then turns around and uses the funds from that product to reinvest in it…to expand, to ‘better’ it, etc. That’s just the general strategy of ‘business.’

Edit: It should probably also be pointed out (again) that after the NCSoft release that is being discussed, both Regina and Martin have stated that it is inaccurate. Anet is not looking at an expansion [at this time], they are still focused on the core game.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

in Community Creations

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

What I’m seeing in this thread is a lot of people who don’t understand what’s going on here.

Arena Net is completely 100% owned by NCsoft and has been since BEFORE Guild Wars 1 launched. NCsoft owns Arena Net. Every possession owned by Arena Net is the property of NCsoft and always has been.

So, NCsoft doesn’t get ANY of the sales from the sales shop directly because NCsoft gets them even if Anet gets them. That’s how corporations and parent corporations work.

Anet has bills to pay. They have employees to pay. They have expenses. NCsoft hopes that Anet will be a self perpetuating property than can keep going and making them more money. There’s zero reason for NCsoft to remove money from the cash shop. It’s theirs anyway.

in Community Creations

cesmode.4257

Look, I respect your optimism but you have to lower the pink glasses at some point. Lookin at what is happening now, you can be pretty sure that alot of money goes to NCSoft and not to ArenaNet. Usually, the publisher gets more money per sale than the developer.
And just because the game is growing doesn’t mean that it’s all fine and dandy for ArenaNet. Most living story updates seemed.. underwhelming compared to what Arena Net had in mind, I’m sure. You do have some valid points and as I said Dontain’s arguments are a little off here and there, but to me it seems like ArenaNet’s design philosophies are altered by NCSoft’s plan to cater the game towards an RNG heavy grindfest-liking audience in form of the Korean market that makes up more than 5 times of the sales that Europe/NA do.

Im not saying its 50/50. But the guy in the vid is making it sound like arenanet gets nothing. I just dont think that is the case. And I don’t think this guy has enough evidence to support his claim.

in Community Creations

Seercull.1495

Im not saying its 50/50. But the guy in the vid is making it sound like arenanet gets nothing. I just dont think that is the case. And I don’t think this guy has enough evidence to support his claim.

I agree. There’s not enough hard data going around to make credible arguments atm.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

ANet may have frequent content updates but the difference between this MMO and the rest is, you get through GW2 content in a day… no matter what it is.

We. Need. Raids.

…or something similar that is actually going to last in between these tiny updates. Is it really their goal to get us to log in for a day then take another month break? I guess so, since no monthly fee.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I’d say from all the WoW vids in Dontain’s channel we know exactly where this piece of propaganda is coming from

in Community Creations

Seercull.1495

What I’m seeing in this thread is a lot of people who don’t understand what’s going on here.

Arena Net is completely 100% owned by NCsoft and has been since BEFORE Guild Wars 1 launched. NCsoft owns Arena Net. Every possession owned by Arena Net is the property of NCsoft and always has been.

So, NCsoft doesn’t get ANY of the sales from the sales shop directly because NCsoft gets them even if Anet gets them. That’s how corporations and parent corporations work.

Anet has bills to pay. They have employees to pay. They have expenses. NCsoft hopes that Anet will be a self perpetuating property than can keep going and making them more money. There’s zero reason for NCsoft to remove money from the cash shop. It’s theirs anyway.

No, I don’t think you are right here. Look, I have no idea about all this corporate stuff whatsoever but I do know a thing or two about game design and i definitely know ANets design philosophies and how they thrive to make a game that is a piece of art.
And NCSoft have their fingers in the development of GW2 which kitten es me off. They should be put back in their place as publishers and publish the game instead of ruining ArenaNet’s creativity. i like to remind you of a certain thread in this forum ( https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/How-is-getting-rid-of-Cantha-a-universal-representation-of-humanity/page/4 ) and NcSofts decision of BANNING a Cantha expansion ("NCsoft was firm in its decision to stay away from “Asian” themes and keep it “universal.”).
Plus, the great collapse has once been a Canthan Quarter until NCSoft decided that they didnt want the theme. Now it’s a big hole. All that work – lost.

I want to know how much power NCSoft has over the delopment of GW2. IF they were able to basically remove a whole district of Divinity’s Reach, why would they not be able to introduce all those disgusting game mechanics – why would they not be responsible for all the real money RNG chest bull kitten from the past? Because I’m sure they are.
So while you may be right when you say that money plays no role here, interfering in the development of the game certainly seems to be a factor – and it’s influencing the game in a negative way.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Riselight.3695

Riselight.3695

I quite agree with the fact that NCsoft is starting to become like EA. They more and more control what will happen with GW2 than Anet does, especially when NCsoft said they don’t want Cantha in GW2 (Like the Great Collapse in Divinity’s Reach is supposed to be the Canthan district, but then got removed) made me very angry. I am not waiting uncertain how NCsoft will react to this discussion, if they even will…

Riselight [WvW] – Elementalist
Smough The Cruel [WvW] – Warrior

in Community Creations

Posted by: Rika.7249

Rika.7249

I’d say from all the WoW vids in Dontain’s channel we know exactly where this piece of propaganda is coming from

From a sane gamer who’s not too proud to admit his game is pretty much just an empty framework that has received no actual updates since Fractals. I think we know exactly where this piece of excellent argumentation and concern is coming from indeed.

Buuuuut hey, Wildstar seems like it’s going to be great. You know, actual dungeons and actual goals. Actual challenges. The stuff Guild Wars 2 needs but never receives.

This is not the game they said it would be sadly, and my patience has run out. I guess that’s where it’s good that there’s no subscription fee. I can check in once in a while to see if they’ve finished their game.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

See i think this is why the players are more like the Consortium then Anet and nsoft. There way too much assumption off the bottom line of Anet and there sells and how they put out content base off of this.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Community Creations

Posted by: lekyii.9856

lekyii.9856

Its like Kripparian said the difference between Neverwinter and Guild Wars 2 is that Neverwinter had the courage to say that the game was in Open Beta.

in Community Creations

Jski.6180

Its like Kripparian said the difference between Neverwinter and Guild Wars 2 is that Neverwinter had the courage to say that the game was in Open Beta.

Also in Neverwinter ppl have expostulated the hell out of most of the real life money system that and Neverwinter is from Perfect world where there games are in open beta for 5 years +.
Open beta is a very missed use term they often do not changes any thing of significances to make it still worth the idea that its part of any type of beta. MMORPG changes a lot over time but when it comes to the idea of having beta you should be seeing major shifts in game play types such as chasing the contortions UI.

(edited by Jski.6180)

in Community Creations

cesmode.4257

ANet may have frequent content updates but the difference between this MMO and the rest is, you get through GW2 content in a day… no matter what it is.

We. Need. Raids.

…or something similar that is actually going to last in between these tiny updates. Is it really their goal to get us to log in for a day then take another month break? I guess so, since no monthly fee.

No. We. Dont.
Go. Play. Wow. Besides, you clear a WoW raid in a week or two anyways. Only difference is, you paid 15$ for that.

What we need is more fractal maps. We also need mini-dungeons that one or two people can tackle, like chronicles from Rift.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

Also, when he compares WoW. Blizzard takes your 15$ a month for 6 months, and then gives you content in the form of a new dungeon, a new raid, and a new island. Takes 15 bucks for another 15 months, and then gives you the same three things,

At least with WoW’s content it’s permanent, it’s difficult and challenging, With the crap we get from Anet its here for a few weeks, and we are able to finish it in less than an hour.

I to would pay a sub fee to this game if it was more like WoW and added permanent content every once in awhile instead of this temp kitten, and had better boss mechanics and didn’t have to answer to NcSoft.

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

(edited by Rama.6439)

in Community Creations

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

I think a lot of the frustration he expresses and that I see in some is from all the back and forth over an expansion, the resistence to putting Cantha in, and the INSANITY of putting “pakitteno” / gambling like RNG items into the gem store. That last one has people getting very confused about the direction of things. It just smacks of “somebody here is making decisions that seem out of touch”.

I dunno, maybe they have analytics to show western gamers really like money for RNG… but I’m skeptical. Of course I don’t think eastern gamers like it either… but maybe they’ve not had a choice but to have it…

I can’t see anybody from anywhere liking it.

It needs to stop.

Things sold for real $, even cosmetic “junk” – should have an item listed and get that item 100%.

I’d rather spend $1 for a common dye than 50-cents for a 30% chance at a precusor… because if my real money hits the table, I want to know what I’m buying…

But maybe the data actually says people like RNG… I doubt it…

So I can see why some are angry right now.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

in Community Creations

Vayne.8563

That’s not courage. It’s called a stealth beta. If they’re not wiping the servers and they’re selling stuff in the cash shop…then the game is open for business. Most of the people in the industry are calling it a launch not a beta…beta is for testing You don’t run an open cash shop during beta.

Guild Wars 2 did in the last beta, but the gems you bought were given to you again when the game launched.

in Community Creations

Jski.6180

At least with WoW’s content it’s permanent, it’s difficult and challenging, With the crap we get from Anet its here for a few weeks, and we are able to finish it in less than an hour.

I to would pay a sub fee to this game if it was more like WoW and added permanent content every once in awhile instead of this temp kitten, and had better boss mechanics and didn’t have to answer to NcSoft.

Most of WoW hard content was not played by most of the players. You had ppl who made the game WoW a job like environment where it was all you could do if you wanted to do all of the high end content. There was also a gear stander that you HAD to get to get in the high end content. This is just simply want GW2 is not about. There is hard content in GW2 but you must get to it first. F&F was hard the first time you ran it but once ppl worked out the trick the dungeon became nothing more then a farm to be exploited. It simply stopped being a story and events for ppl it became a mad item grab by the time they took it down. It would of been far worst now if it was still here. There is a good use of making content a temp. thing so you can keep these events from becoming a farm fest. Not many ppl would rerun these things if they gave no items because sadly story is not enofe for most players to play games.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I would run away if this game was more like WoW.

To the OP – obviously the publisher will get some of the profit. They use that profit to advertise the game, make hard copies, etc. The company that publishes spends a lot. If they got nothing in return publishers would just go bankrupt.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Hoyvin.3241

Hoyvin.3241

You guys understand that A-Net is owned, and all property produced by them, by NCSoft? They don’t get “put in their place” by A-Net. They can’t “cut NCSoft out of the picture.” It’s not their picture; it all belongs to NCSoft. A-Net is told what to do by NCSoft and they do it. Every nickel they make from the gem store or boxed sales is the property of NCSoft to do with what they please.

All that being said, I love GW2. One for the sheer fact that it’s not like WoW. I have no problem providing NCSoft with my money so they keep feeding A-Net. If GW2 remains profitable, you can be sure they will keep feeding it.

(edited by Hoyvin.3241)

in Community Creations

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

WoW dropped 1.2 million subs last quarter, why do we want to be more like them again?

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

in Community Creations

Vayne.8563

You guys understand that A-Net is owned, and all property produced by them, by NCSoft? They don’t get “put in their place” by A-Net. They can’t “cut NCSoft out of the picture.” It’s not their picture; it all belongs to NCSoft. A-Net is told what to do by NCSoft and they do it. Every nickel they make from the gem store or boxed sales is the property of NCSoft to do with what they please.

All that being said, I love GW2. One for the sheer fact that it’s not like WoW. I have no problem providing NCSoft with my money so they keep feeding A-Net. If GW2 remains profitable, you can be sure they will keep feeding it.

Okay this doesn’t necessarily follow.

Guild Wars 1 was also owned by NcSoft and made by Anet. I’m pretty sure Ncsoft didn’t tell Anet what to do. Creativity doesn’t work that way.

If you had an artist that was awesome working for you, would you tell him how to paint? Very often corporations that own other corporations don’t interfere as long as that corporation is making money for them. If that company is meeting expectations, they don’t have to worry about getting involved, because that takes work and money.

You can bet your bottom dollar that if Guild Wars 2 tanks, NCsoft is going to move in and take over. But if the game is doing well, they don’t really have a reason to.

in Community Creations

Hoyvin.3241

Guild Wars 1 was also owned by NcSoft and made by Anet. I’m pretty sure Ncsoft didn’t tell Anet what to do. Creativity doesn’t work that way.

If you had an artist that was awesome working for you, would you tell him how to paint? Very often corporations that own other corporations don’t interfere as long as that corporation is making money for them. If that company is meeting expectations, they don’t have to worry about getting involved, because that takes work and money.

You can bet your bottom dollar that if Guild Wars 2 tanks, NCsoft is going to move in and take over. But if the game is doing well, they don’t really have a reason to.

It doesn’t necessarily follow, sure. I’m not saying that the NCSoft/A-Net relationship is draconian or otherwise. I have no idea if it is or not. A wise publisher allows as much creativity as possible from their developers, within the purview established for them. But you can be sure, and Cantha is a prime example, that if/when NCSoft doesn’t want something, they’ll put their foot down and that’s the end of it.

I’m just trying to disabuse anyone of the idea that any of it, intellectual property or cash proceeds, is truly A-Nets to do with or spend as they please or ever has been. “Wholly owned subsidiary” right?

(edited by Hoyvin.3241)

in Community Creations

Jski.6180

It doesn’t necessarily follow, sure. I’m not saying that the NCSoft/A-Net relationship is draconian or otherwise. I have no idea if it is or not. A wise publisher allows as much creativity as possible from their developers. But you can be sure, and Cantha is a prime example, that if/when NCSoft doesn’t want something, they’ll put their foot down and that’s the end of it.

But at the end of the day if Cantha is going to make lots of money then you will see how fast a foot will be brought back up.
That the thing they all want to make money its not good or evil if things do not work out then other things will be tried. Nsoft was part of Anet before GW1 came out and its going to be part of Anet for some time. This is just how the world of money works.

in Community Creations

Hoyvin.3241

But at the end of the day if Cantha is going to make lots of money then you will see how fast a foot will be brought back up.
That the thing they all want to make money its not good or evil if things do not work out then other things will be tried. Nsoft was part of Anet before GW1 came out and its going to be part of Anet for some time. This is just how the world of money works.

Of course. My whole point being is that ultimately these decisions are NCSofts to make, not A-Nets, right?

in Community Creations

Hoyvin.3241

and the INSANITY of putting “pakitteno” / gambling like RNG items into the gem store. That last one has people getting very confused about the direction of things. It just smacks of “somebody here is making decisions that seem out of touch”.

I dunno, maybe they have analytics to show western gamers really like money for RNG… but I’m skeptical. Of course I don’t think eastern gamers like it either… but maybe they’ve not had a choice but to have it…

You know that there’s a whole city in Nevada based entirely on RNG, right?

in Community Creations

Jski.6180

Of course. My whole point being is that ultimately these decisions are NCSofts to make, not A-Nets, right?

No i am not saying that at all the ultimate decision is will it make money or will it not.

in Community Creations

Hoyvin.3241

No i am not saying that at all the ultimate decision is will it make money or will it not.

Of course, but that’s a truism. The sky is blue. And it’s certainly not the only criteria in making a descision. Again, Cantha being a prime example. There seems to be a lot of clamor for it being introduced in GW2. That to me, barring any other information, would indicate that it would probably be a profitable enterprise, yet Cantha will not be introduced.

(edited by Hoyvin.3241)

in Community Creations

Jski.6180

Of course, but that’s a truism. The sky is blue. And it’s certainly not the only criteria in making a descision. Again, Cantha being a prime example. There seems to be a lot of clamor for it being introduced in GW2. That to me, barring any other information, would indicate that it would probably be a profitable enterprise, yet Cantha will not be introduced.

How can you tell thought did Nsoft hate Cantha if so why did Nsoft not hate Cantha in GW1?
All of this is pure speculation there is no hard facts and to throw view points like this at Anet like this needs a bit more then just speculation.

If you wanted to purely from speculation you can make the argument that Anet planes out there update purely off of other game titles coming out. So all the timing is being used as a means to compete with every game that coming out this year.

(edited by Jski.6180)

in Community Creations

Hoyvin.3241

I’m pretty sure that NCSoft doesn’t “hate” Cantha. It’s a business decision. That being said, GW1 was a smaller market than GW2 is so I’m sure the same set of criteria don’t apply in both cases. Things change. Personnel changes. Environment changes. I doubt if profit is the only factor driving the Cantha decision, which is what you implied two posts ago. Anyway, this is starting to ramble. And you’re right, it’s all speculation and wasn’t really the point of my original post.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

On one of the pages of that “How is getting rid of Cantha…” topic the developers said that they will love to work on Cantha for GW2 again. The fact that there will be no Cantha was entirely speculation based on the fact that there are no Canthan buildings in a Krytan city. There are still some Asian NPCs and you can still state that your character is from Cantha in your personal story. Don’t talk about “will be” or “won’t be” when we don’t know yet.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

and the INSANITY of putting “pakitteno” / gambling like RNG items into the gem store. That last one has people getting very confused about the direction of things. It just smacks of “somebody here is making decisions that seem out of touch”.

You know that there’s a whole city in Nevada based entirely on RNG, right?

Somewhere in Kansas is a guy making a living doing taxes for a bakery or restaurant.

That doesn’t mean I want to have to files gold taxes with NCSoft to level cooking.

One thing does not relate to another. And yeah – it exists out there in the real world somewhere, but keep it out of our MMO.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Stupor.2786

Stupor.2786

The logic in this video escapes me. He says the revenue that GW2 makes would go to other games like Lineage and Aion. Those are established games making their own money. Ncsoft wouldn’t need to divert GW2 revenue to those games unless they were losing money and if they were losing money wouldn’t they just shut them down? He then goes on to extol the virtues of Ncsoft’s upcoming title Wildstar. Where does he think the money to develop that game is coming from? What makes more sense – that NCsoft is taking profits from GW2 and putting it into games that are already making their own money or are they using it to develop new games that don’t have their own revenue stream yet? Would he prefer NCsoft slow down development of Wildstar so they can return more of the profits to Arenanet? Probably most people on these forums would say yes, but is that what he really wants?

in Community Creations

Hoyvin.3241

Somewhere in Kansas is a guy making a living doing taxes for a bakery or restaurant.

That doesn’t mean I want to have to files gold taxes with NCSoft to level cooking.

One thing does not relate to another. And yeah – it exists out there in the real world somewhere, but keep it out of our MMO.

Just implying that “I can’t see anyone anywhere liking it” is a pretty broad brush considering something like Las Vegas exists. It’s pretty conclusive proof that lots of people like gambling. Not implying that I do or don’t, or that you’re wrong for not wanting it, you’re entitled to have your opinion be heard, just that there are plenty of people who love it. If there wasn’t, arguing about RNG in the gem store would be academic.

in Community Creations

Jski.6180

The logic in this video escapes me. He says the revenue that GW2 makes would go to other games like Lineage and Aion. Those are established games making their own money. Ncsoft wouldn’t need to divert GW2 revenue to those games unless they were losing money and if they were losing money wouldn’t they just shut them down? He then goes on to extol the virtues of Ncsoft’s upcoming title Wildstar. Where does he think the money to develop that game is coming from? What makes more sense – that NCsoft is taking profits from GW2 and putting it into games that are already making their own money or are they using it to develop new games that don’t have their own revenue stream yet? Would he prefer NCsoft slow down development of Wildstar so they can return more of the profits to Arenanet? Probably most people on these forums would say yes, but is that what he really wants?

O wow i did not know Ncsoft was part of Wildstar too. I guess ppl myself included do not realize just how big Ncsoft is. I look at it as if NCsoft is over all business side of the gaming for these titles but when it comes to game making its up to the game makers such as Anet and Carbine for there respective games because at some point and time these two games are going to compete with each other and in truth its not going to be that great for NCsoft to have products that compete with each other for profits but its still going to happen.

in Community Creations

Hoyvin.3241

On one of the pages of that “How is getting rid of Cantha…” topic the developers said that they will love to work on Cantha for GW2 again. The fact that there will be no Cantha was entirely speculation based on the fact that there are no Canthan buildings in a Krytan city. There are still some Asian NPCs and you can still state that your character is from Cantha in your personal story. Don’t talk about “will be” or “won’t be” when we don’t know yet.

I honestly don’t care one way or the other about Cantha, whether it does or does not ever get into GW2, that wasn’t the point of my original argument. I haven’t stated it either will or won’t. That’s not the point. If my grasp of the Cantha “situation” is wrong, then there are other examples. Lets just, for the sake of argument, say that I’m right. It could be a legendary left handed monkey wrench that we’re talking about, and not Cantha. The example is irrelevant to the point.

The whole point is: Arenanet is a wholly owned subsidiary of NCSoft, and as such is subject to the wants needs and/or whims of it’s parent company. That’s all. If NCSoft tells ANet to do something, it must comply. It has no choice. I make no implications of the relationship that exists between the two organizations.

in Community Creations

Jski.6180

I honestly don’t care one way or the other about Cantha, whether it does or does not ever get into GW2, that wasn’t the point of my original argument. I haven’t stated it either will or won’t. That’s not the point. If my grasp of the Cantha “situation” is wrong, then there are other examples. Lets just, for the sake of argument, say that I’m right. It could be a legendary left handed monkey wrench that we’re talking about, and not Cantha. The example is irrelevant to the point.

The whole point is: Arenanet is a wholly owned subsidiary of NCSoft, and as such is subject to the wants needs and/or whims of it’s parent company. That’s all. If NCSoft tells ANet to do something, it must comply. It has no choice. I make no implications of the relationship that exists between the two organizations.

But if you "If my grasp of the Cantha “situation” is wrong, then there are other examples." and that the base of your point of view then you need to changes your point of view. That just simple logic. Also i would like to know what other examples you would use?
Everyone is a subsidiary of something bigger then it when it comes to gaming. These business make a living picking up game makers to make games for them.

in Community Creations

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Dontain is losing it a little bit and its because he is a player who needs hardcore content to survive. I understand his pain because I feel it too, its not like I don’t want raid-level(not raid type) content in this game that is rewarding to its difficulty. I just don’t see Anet doing it anytime soon. I do also get kitten off at the continuous RNG boxes but at least this patch Anet offered us a new way to obtain them through farming which is somewhat generous. I question the relationship between Anet and NCSoft. Because of their recent statement about an expansion, and Anet even more distant statement about no interest in an expansion, it seems the too have a disagreement. However its the way NCSoft expresses their statement, its as if they took no consideration for the desire of the Dev’s at Anet.

in Community Creations

Hoyvin.3241

But if you "If my grasp of the Cantha “situation” is wrong, then there are other examples." and that the base of your point of view then you need to changes your point of view. That just simple logic. Also i would like to know what other examples you would use?
Everyone is a subsidiary of something bigger then it when it comes to gaming. These business make a living picking up game makers to make games for them.

I obviously haven’t made my point very well, so I think I’m done. But with this last thing: the example is irrelevant. It could be entirely made up: i.e. Legendary Left Handed Monkey Wrench. NCSoft wants it, ANet doesn’t. Guess what: LLHMW is in game.

I was addressing those posters who think “ANet should go it alone” or “ANet should tell NCSoft to butt out.” My point was, they can’t. That’s it.

That said, I’m done.