Who owns the content? Discussion.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Aeiea.2450

Aeiea.2450

Q:

A friend of mine seems to think that because he created a music video off of filming in game content and posted it on YouTube that he owns that content and could potentially make money off of it if it was good enough.

I don’t think this is true and I feel this misconception needs to be clarified.
He’s merely an editor of content not his.

So Anet, if people make music videos out of filming in game content then who owns it?
I’m willing to bet it’s you.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

This may hold the answers you seek: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-content-terms-of-use/

I do not know much about this stuff though

We do not permit the unauthorized use of our game world, our characters, or any other elements of our game in any form that involves profit or commercial benefit, such as novels, short stories, articles, unauthorized contest or competition entries, screenplays, action figures, theatrical productions, or other adaptations of our game.

I think there’s your answer

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

in Community Creations

Aeiea.2450

Oh yeah we’ve been over that already. He’s still convinced though that the content is his via YouTube license.

Anet allows us to use the content for fun, private not for profit use,

in Community Creations

Aeiea.2450

Hoping a game dev or mod comes along to clear this up soon

in Community Creations

Lilith Ajit.6173

Oh yeah we’ve been over that already. He’s still convinced though that the content is his via YouTube license.

Anet allows us to use the content for fun, private not for profit use,

Yeah I think he is just trying to make incorrect assumptions based on Youtube. But just because you upload something to Youtube, doesn’t make it yours. If it originated or its assets were garnered from another source that owns those, I do not think he has any leg to stand on legally for selling or making profit on anything that contains copyrighted materials from ArenaNet.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

in Community Creations

Aeiea.2450

Thank you!
Let’s talk about people who write game guides too. Apparently ‘WoodenPotatoes’ makes money off of his videos. It’s possible because he writes up guides but the content is not his. YouTube also offers a service of making some cash based on hits and stuff I think on your vids but I don’t think it’s much of a profit.

So even people who write game guides I believe are not exempt from the content terms of use.

in Community Creations

Lilith Ajit.6173

I think its different if it’s like, advertisement money. So, for instance, Dulfy most likely gets advertisement money to help keep her site going, but she is not selling the content or using it to make profit. Guides, I don’t think, can be sold for profit, unless they are official from ArenaNet. But Advertising with that information is another story.

Now I could be totally off there, but I think that’s the exception.

[ARES]

in Community Creations

Aeiea.2450

I’d say that’s about right. Most videos that have advertisements on them and such. It’s not directly selling a video or anything. So music videos and game guides don’t belong to a YouTube user or game player. Still Anet’s content.

It’s great that I’m not the only one who sees it this way. I really want an official response as well xD.

in Community Creations

Lilith Ajit.6173

I’d say that’s about right. Most videos that have advertisements on them and such. It’s not directly selling a video or anything. So music videos and game guides don’t belong to a YouTube user or game player. Still Anet’s content.

It’s great that I’m not the only one who sees it this way. I really want an official response as well xD.

It is entirely possible that they will answer, but this sub forum rarely sees red posts, so I’m about 80% sure they won’t see it. You could email them though, it’s more of a direct line that way.

[ARES]

in Community Creations

Aeiea.2450

Yeah I sent Aidan a PM. May send an email out.
I’m really out to prove a point hahaha ;D

(edited by Moderator)

in Community Creations

Posted by: AidanTaylor.3872

AidanTaylor.3872

European Community Manager

So simply put we own the visual imagery as it is from our game and therefore protected under copyright law.

Below is our stance on the use of our content on YouTube (for example):

To use assets from our games, you need to comply with the following Terms of Use: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-content-terms-of-use/. You need in particular to display appropriate trademark designations as indicated in this document. Please note that you cannot use our assets in any commercial product and that we do not deliver individual permissions.

Technically, it’s against the current Guild Wars 2 Content Terms of Use for people to make money through such things as monetizing a Guild Wars 2 video. However, we support people sharing their experiences with our game. So while we want to do the right thing and accurately relay what the Terms of Use says, we do not take action when fan sites support themselves via ads, and we don’t take action when the creators of fan videos place ads.

Although we’ve published a lot of Guild Wars 2 assets in different places, we’ve gathered a few where you may find resources that you are looking for: the two Asset Kits, which contain logos, concept art, screenshots, an FAQ, and high-resolution, multi-layered PSD files, are available on the following page: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/media/asset-kit/; there are other visual assets in the “Media” section of our official website: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/media/; and some Guild Wars 2 sound files can be found on our soundcloud page: https://soundcloud.com/arenanet

I hope this clears it up a little

(edited by AidanTaylor.3872)

in Community Creations

Posted by: Shyden.1682

Shyden.1682

If this said person feels so strongly that they are allowed to do this then just let them do it. Obviously point them to the legal terms and conditions first but after that it’s their own neck on the line. You can only help so much before you just gotta let them learn for themselves.