Yahtzee reviews Guild Wars 2

in Community Creations

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

For those who don’t know, Yahtzee is a fast-talking British Australian who is generally known for ripping on games good and bad. People frequently hope he rips on their games (For some reason) and this week he decided to look at Guild Wars 2.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6337-Guild-Wars-2

I feel he may have missed one or two things…

in Community Creations

Posted by: Omega.1346

Omega.1346

Oh Yahtzee, you never fail to make me laugh xD

in Community Creations

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

I love it lol. In the context of a Yahtzee review, I’d say that was positive!

in Community Creations

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

Pretty typical for Yahtzee. I think he gets upset that every game he plays isn’t Psychonauts.

I don’t get his objection to a lack of story of purpose or however he put it. I felt much more “connected to my journey” in GW2 than any other MMO.

But, alas, everyone has their thing.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Mongo.2490

Mongo.2490

I think it was pretty accurate. I love exploring so the free-roaming playstyle suits me well, although I absolutely have to agree that there’s no real sense of purpose. But maybe that’s a good thing. When you have millions of players, it doesn’t make sense that every single one is the Supreme Grand Champion that will save the world.

in Community Creations

Tradewind.6913

Pretty typical for Yahtzee. I think he gets upset that every game he plays isn’t Psychonauts.

I don’t get his objection to a lack of story of purpose or however he put it. I felt much more “connected to my journey” in GW2 than any other MMO.

Likely due to his loathing of most mmo’s he didn’t get very far into it lol.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Untouch.2541

Untouch.2541

Likely due to his loathing of most mmo’s he didn’t get very far into it lol.

Yahtzee never gets far into any game, he stopped playing MH:Tri during the tutorial and decided that was a fair point to review it.

in Community Creations

Tradewind.6913

Because it’s not a “review” in the strictest sense. It’s just humorous to see what sort of analogies he comes up with and his “angry words.”

in Community Creations

Posted by: the uprising.6317

the uprising.6317

I like how he commented on how zergy the game is and how inconsequential things thus feel. World events/content needs to be less….kittenimo.

Wow de.rp is censored.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Terrant.2903

Terrant.2903

Hickeroar.9734:

People make the mistake of calling Yathzee a reviewer. He is not. He has never really reviewed a game. instead he is a critic. He looks for what’s wrong with the game. This is a valuable thing, since most “review” sites like IGN and others just hand out high marks to whoever pays and ignore the negatives. TOR’s review for IGN was rife with complaints, but still earned a very very high score. Yathzee reads between the lines (at least in his own view) and often points out what review sites do not.

Also bear in mind he is an entertainer. He got his gig with the Escapist because his dark, sarcastic humor made people laugh and got him views on youtube. The man gets paid to be a snarky jerk about games. Plain and simple.

That said, I enjoyed the review. It’s obvious he didn’t play for long, an only the human campaign, and I would have liked to see his thoughts on combat. He also does a text blog called “Extra Punctuation” that often adds to what he says in ZP. I’ll be curious to see if he adds to what he said in the video.

I agree with many of his points…I feel he judged the story and lack of grand adventuring context too prematurely. On the other hand, maybe that’s important. First impressions do count.

Overall, as MMO reviews go, that may well have been his most positive (That or AoC)

in Community Creations

Posted by: Calavera.1086

Calavera.1086

I prefer Angry Joe.

in Community Creations

Posted by: ozzybananas.6178

ozzybananas.6178

over the last year that guy has been so lame. Bad reviews. bad bad bad

in Community Creations

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

It’s easier to take people seriously when they don’t fake an accent. I’m British myself and we tend to define that accent as someone feigning being ‘posh’. Aside from that, if someone hasn’t actually gotten to the meat of a game they really shouldn’t be doing a review at all.

Alas, the days of in-depth reviews and research appears to be over in favour of everyone spewing out their thoughts about things they’re not familiar with.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

To be perfectly fair – How DO you review an MMO? Do you wait till you have completed all raid content? Do you wait until you are max level? Do you wait till you maxed all crafting skills? Most game reviewers don’t even get to 100% most single player games before reviewing, let along 100% everything in a MMO.

MMO’s are harder to judge because by the time a true 100% fair review is released, they would have patched the game and entirely changed the context of the review.

Say someone came out and released a review saying something similar to "The crafting using cooking is extremely irritating because you have to keep swapping between your collections tab and your discovery tab. – That is 100% true. Till they fixed that. This makes this entire point invalid thus the review invalid.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

The best reviewers are those who stick to a genre they like and are knowledgeable about, whilst avoiding bias in the process. There’s far too many self-proclaimed reviewers with legions of rabid fans following their every word even when they show that they’re not even all that interested in reviewing a particular genre/game.

There’s far too many reviewers who see fit to review anything and everything, sadly for the sake of the money and income that comes with hefty subscription numbers on sites like Youtube.

in Community Creations

Posted by: ituhata.6830

ituhata.6830

“Thank you, hero of the hour, here’s a pile of experience and money, now @#! off! "

XD

God I love that guy. =D

Caelthras – Fort Aspenwood
3rd Flora Artillery Unit

in Community Creations

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

I’ve been looking forward to some Yahtzee attention for GW2 for a while now. Not disappointed.

in Community Creations

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Critical hit with a hammer on the head of a nail. Causes 2 stacks of bleeding.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Sevens the lucky.2913

Sevens the lucky.2913

eh, not impressed…tries to talk so fast that anything funny or of value he has to say gets lost in the flood of noise coming out his mouth

in Community Creations

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

I’m afraid to watch it… I just know it’s going to show some glaring issues that I’ve overlooked and I’m not gonna be able to unsee it.

in Community Creations

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

C’mon guys, he’s a comedian. Taking it seriously is sorta like watching The Daily Show to stay up on current events.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Zen.1740

Zen.1740

“Thank you, hero of the hour, here’s a pile of experience and money, now @#! off! "

XD

God I love that guy. =D

Sounds like he didn’t even play the game. All the events I did, I never got more than 2.4 silver.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2,
no one enjoys that, no one finds it fun.” – Colin Johanson
R.I.P. in piece, Guild Wars 2, August 2012 – September 2012

in Community Creations

Posted by: KuiShanya.2645

KuiShanya.2645

It’s easier to take people seriously when they don’t fake an accent. I’m British myself and we tend to define that accent as someone feigning being ‘posh’. Aside from that, if someone hasn’t actually gotten to the meat of a game they really shouldn’t be doing a review at all.

Alas, the days of in-depth reviews and research appears to be over in favour of everyone spewing out their thoughts about things they’re not familiar with.

Except that he isn’t really reviewing, he just prefers to point out all the problems with the game.

Also he is British, but lives in Australia.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Jnaathra.6549

Jnaathra.6549

Pretty positive review coming from him.

in Community Creations

Tradewind.6913

People are clearly missing the point that he is a “Humor Critic.” Probably the only purely positive review I’ve ever watched of his was for Minecraft.

in Community Creations

Posted by: oulan.8956

oulan.8956

I tried to listen to him for two minutes and shut it off, he has the type of humor I do not find funny in the least it is similar to hitting ones self in the head with a hammer.

in Community Creations

Posted by: the uprising.6317

the uprising.6317

Oh cmon guys it was funny, don’t let the fanboy in you make you blind to that. The first review I saw of him was on Amnesia, and I LOVED that game, and thus was irked of his criticisms of it and hated the reviewer in general. I wasn’t 100% loving GW2 and this review made me laugh.

After looking through a lot of his reviews, its not that his points are completely invalid or that he’s not reviewing the game at all, but simply that he takes on a very critical mindset when reviewing something and points out all of its flaws, which is important. Compared to the other games he’s reviewed, this review is GLOWINGLY positive, especially considering that he hates multiplayer games.