Random Acts Of Kindness - 100g of prizes.

in In-game Events

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

In keeping with the time of year it’s time to spread some good news to all men and all that With that in mind my guild, DVDF think it’s time to celebrate and remember those people who have done some amazing and noteworthy things for others in GW2.

We have 4 prizes to give away, first prize of 50g, second of 25 and two of 12.5g each.

All you need to do is nominate someone else and tell us (in this thread) what acts of kindness they performed that are particularly noteworthy and should be rewarded.

My guild will then judge the entries, and choose the winners. The contest is open to everyone regardless of the region or server.

Closing date for entries is Christmas day and contest winners will be announced in the new year.

Have fun

Shan

Grenchie small print

Our decision is final, and we withhold the right to not award a prize to a winner and give it to someone else if their entry is found to be false

This contest is not open to members or ex members of DVDF, we have our own contest

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

in In-game Events

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

I nominate DreamyAbaddon.3265. He has dedicated countless hours to helping new players find their footing in Tyria.

He is the writer of Combat System 101, a great guide that explains how GW2’s combat system works and how it differs from the traditional tank/healer/DPS trinity system. In addition, he often offers his help to newcomers in-game, running with them, explaining the combat, and helping them find a class they like- all free of charge. He has never shoved his own preferences down other people’s throats and told them to just roll a class because “it’s OP/I like it,” but works with them to see what their personal playstyles and preferences lean towards.

Great guy, not as well known as Dulfy, but a strong ally of new players and highly deserving of praise.

PS: If we are permitted to nominate multiple people, then I also nominate Ethic.1569 (aka Aceros) for his work in founding and tirelessly running Commendation [GC].

To summarize, [GC] is an alliance guild, formed for the purpose of helping guildless and small-guild players get commendations without having to join a guild that forces them to rep. [GC] has absolutely no rep requirements, no attendance requirements, and no influence/payment requirements. It is essentially a public service.

Every week, hundreds of players attend missions, yet Aceros and his officers keep everything running smoothly, even if bumps or misstarts occur. If a bounty is started early and people miss it, they do a second bounty. If people participate in a challenge and don’t get credit (happens a lot with Crab Toss), they do another. Very organized and patient people.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

(edited by Falunel.7645)

in In-game Events

Posted by: nickelton.1924

nickelton.1924

First of all I want to thank [DVDF] for this awesome event! It really fits into this kind of a year. Also I think being able and willing to give away this kind of prizes to strangers is something to be respected! Anyway, for my nominees… There are two people who popped onto my mind straight away..

The first one is Dauphin Ranique (Mercury Ranique.2170). He is an officer in my guild and he helped out big time! He really kept the 500 people in [REQ] happy by organizing all kinds of events each and everyday in a period I was away. But that’s not all! Ranique is a bit of the Good Guy.. He is always around to help people with their dungeons (ranging from explaining SE p1 to doing Arah p4 with them), he makes portals for people at JPs and vistas (not only for guildies!) without charge, he will always try to help someone with the personal storyline or the difficult dynamic events and he’s always around to give the best advice he can offer! Also, helping people with their 100% map completion and helping new players on its way.. that’s his thing!

The other person who pops into my mind is Loreenax (Magilerax.8015). Loreenax actually paid – with all the money she had – for the server transfer of my brother. She didnt know my brother at that time, nor did she really know me. She’s just straight from the heart a person who mainly cares for others, and sometimes forgets herself. Not only did she help my brother, but also several other people (with upgrading their armor or just running around with them, leveling together). Also, she is just a lovely personallity!

I hope you will take these persons into consideration for one of those prices, because I think they deserve to get something back.. I must however say.. their got some fierce “competition” (isn’t really the word I’m looking for, but English isnt my native language) from the other nominees!

Ciao,

Nick

Officer in the Requiem of the Dead [REQ] ~ req.shivtr.com

in In-game Events

Posted by: cynest.8576

cynest.8576

I nominate Starillusion.7128. She is the founder and leader of a Pay It Forward program on Tarnished Coast. She wanted the community to be strong and friendly and so she sent a random welcome package to a new player. The message within the package asked that the player pay it forward later on. After that she sent out several more until she enlisted the community to help in aiding her with donations for the welcome packages. The packages consist of three 8+ slot bags, one random dye, and a 10-20 stack of leveling food. To this date she has sent out over 50 packages that I know of. She has helped new players feel welcome and given them something more to start with then just a 4 sot bag, starter dyes, and no food until they discover crafting. Those same new players get their footing and pay it forward in some small or large way, thus keeping TC a friendly and welcoming community.

in In-game Events

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

Great idea! I nominate Dulfy, b/c duh. =D

Merry Christmas errrrybody!

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

in In-game Events

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Nickelton, “competition” fits your sentiment beautifully, actually.

I have two nominations. One is a person who was a stranger to me who took the time to walk me through the Lion’s Arch jumping puzzles when I was brand new to the game, and when I was even more terrible at jumping. I cannot tell you the amount of patience and kindness this person showed as I missed jump after jump, only leaving when they had to for work and promising to help later on. We’ve since become dear friends: Fruitygawd.9732.

My second person is someone I hardly know in-game, but who does a LOT of work for a guild I’m in [RPcd] and the community as well. He hosts a weekly tour of every zone in Tyria, open to everyone regardless of level (and does his very best to ensure that we protect the low levels as we reach higher level zones) or guild affiliation. He does this every week, and it takes approximately 12 hours to complete. There’s also a weekly (maybe twice a week?) temple/orrian cleanse, and many other activities. Despite being busy, he reaches out to answer questions, interact with a variety of people and generally help out: Shorok.9706 is a fantastic member of the community.

What a wonderful seasonal contest to run! If I had to nominate everyone who’s ever been kind to me, I’d be out of room. Tarnished Coast has a fantastic community.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

in In-game Events

Posted by: ATC Alpha.4098

ATC Alpha.4098

I’d like to nominate Kittipie (Kittikai.6045), a very kind and helpful person that runs her own newbie guild. She picks people up in the starting zones, places banner boosts on the Queensdale train route, teaches basic stuff and helps directly and indirectly by putting daily tips into the message of the day.

Also offers to take people to story mode dungeons and explains difficult parts, she plays a tanky support guardian and keeps everyone alive. Hosts free raffles with armor, basic crafting mats or bag prizes.

Go Kitti!

Attachments:

in In-game Events

Posted by: Tyger.1637

Tyger.1637

I nominate my good friend Kallandra.2610

For the last 4 years she has put herself out and organised playermeets firstly when we were all City players and now as most of us have scattered to play other games, mostly GW2. She’s never asked for anything in return and espite the great turnout; she always worries that we won’t show or have a good time which we always do.

She’s already earmarked the day for the next meet and I’m sure she’ll be worrying about it in the new year

in In-game Events

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

I have two nominations.

First one is Kimvalodij.2031. He’s been my friend way before we joined GW2, and he’s always been able to help out anyone who needed help. Let it be a guildie, a friend, a newbie, or even a stranger, he’s always been there to lend a hand. He’ll always come through when someone asks him for assistance, and he doesn’t ask for anything in return. Recently I sent him a Christmas gift of a new set of armor and jewels, since he needed them. He returned the kindness with gifts that were worth way more than the stuff I gave him. We’ve actually ended up in a little war where we try to outgive each other, and curse it all, he’s winning. This contest may be the only way I can send him gold, since he’d likely refuse it from me – even if I probably have more gold than him…

My second nomination is Sophiera.1209. She’s one of the many writers from the Warning Bouy (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Warning-Buoy/first). It’s a community-driven, epic tale of a mermaid’s adventures in Lion’s Arch. During one of the chapters, I needed to get a screenshot of my thief with a torch. I knew of one location where I could get the item, but I did not have the area explored on my thief. She hopped over ingame and helped me get there all the way (despite a few wrong turns here and there ;3 ). Even if we couldn’t get the event started, it was a great help to have gotten to the location in the first place. My thief was never set up for PvE, so it would have been quite difficult for me to do it alone. I not only got a torch, but a firey minion summon as well (due to one of the wrong turns. ).

in In-game Events

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

I nominate Big Bubba A Killer because he leads the BG Teq kills everyday for so long now and has been patiently teaching newbies about the mechanics of the fight and stuff. XD

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

in In-game Events

Posted by: BFMV.3198

BFMV.3198

I nominate Helios Angara.9520. Now I know this is meant to be for kind acts in Guild Wars 2 however, this guy deserved his nomination far before this in Guild Wars 1. I’m nominating him for the acts of kindness he has given to me and other people in Guild Wars 1. He was known as the “legendary zkey farmer” when introduced to me by another friend, as he farmed MANY zkeys and gave most of them away. They were worth 5k[platinum] in Gw1 a piece and he gave Hundreds away to people, people he barley knew in order to help them out. His kindness extends to me and he helps me farm my Obsidian Armor set, the best armor set in Gw1 worth quite a bit, by farming alot of zkeys and asking nothing in return. This act of kindness as well as the many others he helped out before then I have never forgotten and will always be thankful for. I think Helios deserves a random acts of kindness reward for being a loyal and faithful friend and player to strangers, guildies, alliances and friends alike in the Guild Wars industry, since 2006.

in In-game Events

Posted by: Grimibis.8512

Grimibis.8512

I nominate DreamyAbaddon.3265.

He helped me when I first started to play GW2 along with other new players. I skype him almost everyday and it is either he is still helping me or someone else in the call. He has written copious amounts of guides, posted several informative videos of the game on youtube, and he is very throughout with what he does. He has received more than enough comments to show that his work has been appreciated.

Message me ingame @ Grimibis.8512
Skype @ luisownyou@ymail.com
Steam @ Grimibis

in In-game Events

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Thanks everyone, some great nominations.

We’ll peruse the above and announce the winners in the next few days

in In-game Events

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Hi there. We’ve decided on the winners and the mails should be on their way to the recipients.

I have to say it was harder than we expected to decide between them because all entries had something wonderful about them. In the end, we had to choose and so the recipients of DVDF’s random acts of kindness prizes are:

1st Ethic.1569
2nd Starillusion.7128
3rd Magilerax.8015

Because it was tricky and we really couldn’t decide we decided to create joint 4th prizes of 6.25g each to go to Shorok.9706 and Kallandra.2610

We loved reading up on all the fantastic acts of generosity and community spirit and I’m sure we’ll be running similar ones later on this year.

Thanks to all those who nominated people and a special thanks to everyone who gives their time and resources to make this game and it’s community a nicer and better place to play

Shan.

in In-game Events

Posted by: nickelton.1924

nickelton.1924

Thank you for this epicness DVDF!!

Officer in the Requiem of the Dead [REQ] ~ req.shivtr.com