Difference between EU vs NA recruiting

in Looking for...

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

NA: come here! Come here! We need more people! Our server is amazing! Come heeerrreee.

EU: oh god we are doing well in ratings, quick everyone hide.

NA: we just got 10 guilds but no queues! We need MOAR!

EU: don’t come here! Go away! Shoo! We don’t want queues!

Of course I’m being a bit tongue in cheek, but it’s puzzling how EU for the most part is covetous of its queue times and at times apprehensive about any mass influx of guilds because of that. Whereas NA seems to constantly absorb guild after guild, and still want more, yet claim there’s no real queue times. I have my theories on these differences mostly about retention, but would like to hear your opinions.

Discuss.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in Looking for...

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

Because NA has a stupid obsession with ppt. The general opinion is that winning the matchup = skill, not coverage, despite the fact that NA servers actively recruit like crazy.

in Looking for...

Posted by: Timpsu.9324

Timpsu.9324

EU servers mostly take emphasis on having great fights, PPT comes afterwards. Even if there are also PPT emphasizing guilds/communities, no one is willing to increase their PPT by increasing queue times. At times, queues are non-avoidable, but usually u can avoid queues by not being in a totally stacked server. I’d imagine that when the Leagues start, big queue times are only a problem of 2, max. 4 EU servers, others can go and play W3 when they feel like it. No one likes to sit in a queue, and EU knows cases where servers have been broken apart because people have been sitting in queues instead of getting to play.

[TLA] – Desolation

in Looking for...

Posted by: ykyk.2740

ykyk.2740

NA mentality is funny. Look at the front page of recruitment forums – vast majority of threads are from T1 servers, and IoJ who is looking like they will easily top silver league.

It would be fine if the ppt chasers can be left to rot in their own lag infested matchups forever, but BAM leagues. Want to play WvW without being in a steamroll matchup one way or another every single week? Better stack to T1!

in Looking for...

Posted by: ballymun.3986

ballymun.3986

For the most part, NA servers are telling the truth when they say there’s no or very small queues – but it depends on the timezone and that’s the important part to remember.

NA timezone, on nearly all T1 servers (apart from this week due to the big dragon pve type thing, I dunno taquitl or whatever it’s called) there’s usually a short queue in EB and on your home BL.

SEA timezone, usually only a short queue in EB and sometimes possibly on your home BL.

Oceanic – rarely a queue on any map.

EU – again rarely if ever a queue during general EU playtimes.

As an EU player myself, the only queues I experience on NA are during reset night, which is always and will always be completely nuts. If you don’t get in via spamming then expect a couple hours queue as standard on any BL or EB.
Any other time, never had a queue on any BL or EB apart from primetime NA times.

However, playing on EU servers, yes people seem to be very wary of queue times and get in a flaff when there’s a queue at primetime of ten minute or more (lol!). So some go off on a rant about it, that the ten minute queue spoilt there 1 hour playtime !
So it just leads on from there and suddenly there’s a big deal about experiencing queues all the time, when that’s just not true at all – queues are widely exaggerated by a vocal few.

We’ve had more EU guilds transfer to JQ the last number of weeks, big German guild too (nice bunch of folks!) along with more single players filling the ranks of various other EU based guilds here and honestly, hand on heart, there’s been no queues during even EU primetimes yet we’ve pulled in the numbers for home BL and EB along with spills into the enemy BL’s.

In my own experience, a lot of the reluctance to recruit more guilds for different timezones on EU servers outside of the standard EU TZ is very much a misplaced worry. If anything, the likes of SEA or some Oceanic coverage would give many EU servers proper 24hr coverage, so at least what you spend on upgrading will actually have people there to defend it against the one server you’re playing who has some players from NA there taking absolutely everything during the early hours of the morning and who have destroyed the good work your own server has put in during EU playtimes.

in Looking for...

Jayne.9251

Yes, but that’s at the crux of why I created this thread. If there are no queues in NA, where are all these people going?

There’s been countless guilds who have gone to NA (particularly T1), that if it happened on the EU side, the queue times would be insane.

Yet there’s still a push for recruiting in NA, even when there’s a wealth of bodies. I understand, in theory, that it’s to provide relief for players who are burning out from doing 12-14 hour days, but surely there’s been enough movement in the NA tier that all bases are covered?

So either when people get to T1 NA, as an example, they find the gameplay not to their liking and they transfer off again, or going there has somehow made them stop playing entirely. Otherwise there would be a finite number reached and no need to recruit more — because there’s only so many players that can get onto a map. Any other ideas/reasons you can think of?

And why is this not happening on the EU side … that a transfer of three or four guilds to a server means hour long queues and reactionary protest?

It’s puzzling.

in Looking for...

Posted by: pejot.4806

pejot.4806

The reason might be the fact that prime time in US servers is stretched over time, due to timezone differences, while in EU it is more packed.

Anya of the Mists
[TaG] guild/raid leader
Gunnar’s Hold

in Looking for...

Posted by: Natronix.9827

Natronix.9827

As a player that WvWs in NA lower tier servers, I love recruiting people. Im not lying when I say there are no queues other than reseg night or a number of guilds working together on the same map, that draws numbers and attention.

I love lower tiers because theres no skill lag for me, makes playing in guild groups so much fun.

i tried T1 once and i hated the massiveness of the zergs on every map. I got to admit though servers there require a lot more organization between everybody to be succesful.

Commander Nachonix

in Looking for...

Jayne.9251

The reason might be the fact that prime time in US servers is stretched over time, due to timezone differences, while in EU it is more packed.

Yup. There’s truth to that.

in Looking for...

Posted by: zhonnika.1784

zhonnika.1784

Yeah, it’s funny when people who aren’t in T1 and have never played in it whine and moan about queue times. I wouldn’t mind a 5-10 min queue most nights on all borderlands, as it’s a sign that people are out there and playing. The truth of the matter is that outside of the weekends, we have maybe 1 queued map, along with EB, and that’s during NA prime. Yet, you tell this to people and they go YOU’RE LYING, YOU HAVE 4 HOUR QUEUES ON EVERY MAP and you have to just laugh and be like… yeah, okay, sure I would assume that pejot is correct, however, and that we have so many different timezones to cover (early eu, eu prime, early na, na prime, late na, early ocx.. _) that it’s very spread out and hardly ever queued. At least on JQ anyway.

Kashmara – Elementalist | Reapermara – Necromancer
Jade Quarry
Onslaught [OnS]

in Looking for...

Posted by: Avatar of Belle.9623

JQ appeared to be outnumbered versus SoR & BG during NA prime (at least when I was on JQ). I would agree that out of the top 3, JQ probably had the least amount of queued maps.

Threnody of Belle – Necromancer and PvE Carebear (24,500 achievement points)
Maguuma
#allisvain

in Looking for...

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

Yes, but that’s at the crux of why I created this thread. If there are no queues in NA, where are all these people going?

There’s been countless guilds who have gone to NA (particularly T1), that if it happened on the EU side, the queue times would be insane.

Yet there’s still a push for recruiting in NA, even when there’s a wealth of bodies. I understand, in theory, that it’s to provide relief for players who are burning out from doing 12-14 hour days, but surely there’s been enough movement in the NA tier that all bases are covered?

So either when people get to T1 NA, as an example, they find the gameplay not to their liking and they transfer off again, or going there has somehow made them stop playing entirely. Otherwise there would be a finite number reached and no need to recruit more — because there’s only so many players that can get onto a map. Any other ideas/reasons you can think of?

And why is this not happening on the EU side … that a transfer of three or four guilds to a server means hour long queues and reactionary protest?

It’s puzzling.

It’s because T1 NA chews up and spits out guilds. They go to T1, get lagged out and queued up; then get frustrated and leave because they buy the big lie that T1 WvW is the only tier that matters (they even put that at the top of their thread this week, BTW).

It’s true that some of the largest guilds are really out of place in T2 or T3; but I think a lot of NA folks are so enamored of the T1 status that they won’t consider that maybe there are different styles of play and different ways to play rather than blobbing and spamming 1.

in Looking for...

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

Guys… Come to ioj, k. Bye.

lol jk
I do agree that ioj has gotten an influx of xfers recently because we are a strong contender for 1st in silver. While we all welcome the change of pace after being stomped to the ground for almost 6 months, many of us also dont want to be the next bandwagon server.

Isle Of Janthir

in Looking for...

Natronix.9827

I gotta say, I would not like to go against servers in T3 and up, Im enjoying the small scale battles and not having to deal with skill lag

Commander Nachonix

in Looking for...

Chris.3290

I wonder how well the newly formed IoJ would handle things if they accidentally got bumped into the Gold League. Maybe BP really should consider tanking their score LOL

j/k and being mean but it is something to consider/worry about for you guys.

in Looking for...

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

I wonder how well the newly formed IoJ would handle things if they accidentally got bumped into the Gold League. Maybe BP really should consider tanking their score LOL

j/k and being mean but it is something to consider/worry about for you guys.

We’re very much aware that its possible for us to hit gold league now

Isle Of Janthir

in Looking for...

Natronix.9827

Dont underestimate YB and BP, i would like to see how we would do matched up with those two servers. We’re definetly not ready for gold league and i hope we will never. Best case scenario is that every server in the silver legue get a bump in coverage, so everybody couls compete against each other. Keeping things fun

Commander Nachonix

in Looking for...

Chris.3290

I would predict a VERY close match against those two servers for IoJ.
YB is very strong defensively (I wonder how ram mastery is treating them, probably not kindly) and BP has excellent field tactics (not as good as they boast, though).
IoJ would have to lean extensively on it’s night presence to get any headway and it would come down to Friday I’m sure. My money would be the score would be decided with less than 20k spread by Friday reset.