How to Find the Right Guild for You.

in Looking for...

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

Hi peeps,

I’m Pix, I’m Co-GL and primary recruiter for The Society. I have 4+ years experience as a guild recruiter, both in GW2 and another MMO.

Finding a good guild can be a difficult and bewildering affair, and I hope to give players a handle on how to attract the right guild for them, as seen through the eyes of a recruiter.

How to compose your topic:

Topic Title
Your topic title should display all neccessary info for a recruiter. Yes, we’re aware you’re looking for a guild; What we are interested in are your interests (PvE/WvW/PvP/PvX), your timezone, your investment (casual, semi-hardcore, hardcore) and which server you are on. All of these should be contained in the topic title.

For example:
“LFGuild on Borlis Pass (PvX, casual player, OCX)”
“Lf hardcore euro WvW guild on Blackgate”

This will tell a recruiter immediately whether you fit the bill. You are then more likely to be targetted by recruiters for the sort of guild you are looking for, instead of getting a generic cut-and-paste response.

Message Body

Give us additional information you think is relevant. Is it just you, or are you looking for your friends too? What do you expect from a guild? What is it you’re interested in in detail? Are you willing to switch servers? Are you willing to use VOIP? etc, etc.

Do your homework
Most servers have community forums. A quick google search of [server name]+forums will yield results for the server relevant to you.

There’s some other external resources to find Guilds:

http://gw2.guildex.org/ Credit to Guardian of Angels.9867
http://euguilds.com/ Credit to fizzypetal.7936

You want to make sure you look for a guild on your server if you are even the slightest bit interested in WvW. If you are on a Euro server, you want a guild on a euro server, same for NA. This is due to restrictions between NA/Euro servers. You’d only be able to participate in chat if your guild’s server is NA and you’re on a euro one, and vice versa.

Check out the guild’s forum if they have any. You can get an idea for how active they are, general atmosphere, how often they do guild events, etc. That doesn’t mean a small guild without a forum is bad; it’s about making sure the guild matches your expectations. Otherwise you probably won’t stick around, and the guild loses a member. Not good for anyone! If they don’t have a forum, chat with the recruiter to get a feel for the guild. It’s ok to ask questions!

Abbreviations
LFG – Looking for Guild/group
PvE – Player vs Environment; includes all non pvp content.
WvW – World vs World; serverbased realm vs realm mode. Large scale pvp.
PvP – player vs player, competitive and balanced pvp mode.
BG – Blackgate server
TC – Tarnished Coast server
JQ – Jade Quarry server
YB – Yak’s Bend server
SoS – Sea of Sorrows server
FA – Fort Aspenwood server
DB – Dragonbrand server
SBI – Stormbluff Isle server
DR – Devona’s Rest server
IoJ – Isle of Janthir server
Mag – Maguuma server
NSP – Northern Shiverpeaks server
CD – Crystal Desert server
HoD – Henge of Denravi server
BP – Borlis Pass server
GoM – Gates of Madness server
Ebay – Ehmry Bay server
DH – Darkhaven server
ET – Eredon Terrace server
SF – Sorrow’s Furnace server
SOR – Sactum of Rall server
FC – Ferguson’s Crossing server
KN – Kaineng server
AR – Anvil Rock server

Hope this will help both recruiters and players out.

Pix

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

(edited by Pretty Pixie.8603)

in Looking for...

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

I like this post.

I think a standard format for “looking for guild” posts should be added and this post should defiantly be stickied. I think this would help recruiters and players find better fits for each other.

Something like….

Server preference: (NA or EU, Specific server is a must or will accept any guild server?)
Play Type Preference: (PvE, PvP, WvW, PvX, ect)
Player Style: (Casual or Hardcore)
Active Time: (I am most commonly online during…)
Voice preference: (very active in/when necessary use/refuse to use… voice programs)
Social preference: (I am looking for a small close community/large loosely affiliated community/ect)

Body: (Introduction of yourself, any requirements and expectations you might have, and anything you feel is relevant for a recruiter to know)

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

(edited by Mireles Lore.5942)

in Looking for...

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

One thing I want to mention here that might surprise a lot of players looking for guilds…

As a guild leader, I want to find players who want to be in my guild. NOT just a guild. If I ask people what they’re looking for and they respond something like “Whatever/idc/everything/dunno,” that means I walk away.

Consider this also from a player perspective: would you prefer to be in a guild of people who joined the guild because they don’t really care about what the guild does? I’d think not. Most players probably want a guild full of people who have similar interests, playstyles, etc.

The only way to ensure you find a guild that’s a good fit is to be choosy. And your guild should be choosy as well. It’s worth taking the extra time to find a good fit… or you’ll just be bouncing around a bunch of guilds full of people who are just names in /guild chat.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

in Looking for...

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

This is really solid advice, and nicely presented too.

I’ll make it a sticky. Also, and I’m sure you’ll agree with me, I will remove the bump posts to keep things tidy. )

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

in Looking for...

Posted by: PartyPanda.1960

PartyPanda.1960

Woo! Made it a sticky

in Looking for...

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Ok, tidying done. If anyone got a “your post was removed” note, there’s no harm and no foul, I just wanted to get all the good stuff at the top. That’s the initial post and contributions by Mireles Lore and timmyf.

Y’all are free to comment below on the topic at hand.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

in Looking for...

Pretty Pixie.8603

Thanks a lot Gaile!

in Looking for...

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

to be honest… i would advise against only using the word “hardcore.” it’s still too vague. someone can be “hardcore” into dungeon running, yet hate speed clears. someone could be hardcore into WvW havoc roaming, while the guild that tries to recruit them is hardcore into organized zerg vs zerg, while another guild could be hardcore into large scale siege of The Castle on EB.

in other words, be more specific about what you really enjoy. saying that you…

like to occasionally RP,
occasionally EotM,
really love to organize “end-game” PvE (like triple trouble, or Balthazar Temple Runs, or Dry Top Tier 6),
join solo queue in sPvP one day a month,
and spend every minute of every saturday taking your time to get lost in the lore of explorable Arah dungeon

will give guilds a better idea if you’ll fit, then just saying that you’re hardcore PvE, who sometimes dabbles in the other game modes.

i’m just sayin: please feel free to open up and actually say what you like to do, instead of trying to “sound cool” with TLA’s (Three Letter Acronyms) or vague jargon. it’s okay to ramble on a little about yourself and game interests in your Looking For Guild post…

– The Baconnaire

in Looking for...

Pretty Pixie.8603

Oh by all means, FE. The TLAs are simply meant to get the basic message across in your Topic Title. You have limited space, so it pays to be brief and to the point, while still giving enough ‘at a glance’ information in it. They’re general indicators.

in Looking for...

Posted by: Leap.2760

Leap.2760

One wise soul once said in map chat, that a guild is only good if you get along with the people in it. Many guilds will fit your needs, but it all boils down to the people you are going to be calling “guildies”. I loved it when my guild took me to TS for an informal interview before joining. We had such a crazy fun conversation that I knew I’d fit right in.

in Looking for...

Posted by: Vinnie.2415

Vinnie.2415

This link is broken:

There’s also the guild recruitment forum: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/guilds/recruitment.

in Looking for...

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

http://gw2.guildex.org/

Great website to look for GW2 Guilds!
Both NA and EU

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

in Looking for...

Posted by: fizzypetal.7936

fizzypetal.7936

Another resource for finding guilds, community sites on EU English Language Focused Servers -http://euguilds.com/

New guild listings going up regularly so is worth bookmarking and checking back from time to time. We are also now hosting a Live Streamers section and have Facebook & Twitter accounts.

(edited by fizzypetal.7936)

in Looking for...

Posted by: Nurgles Socks.2496

Nurgles Socks.2496

What is the best way to find a guild and make friends in the game? just playing the game and talking to people?

Vapour Snake – TEEF – GODS – RoF EU

in Looking for...

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

What is the best way to find a guild and make friends in the game? just playing the game and talking to people?

thats about it, basically interactions.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in Looking for...

Posted by: kousei.5914

kousei.5914

Your guild name and tag:
Marked Souls [MkS]

Your guild’s preferred gameplay choices: Are you PvE or PvP all the way? Do you have a focus on WvW? Are most of you fractal focused? Or are you a “do it all” sort of guild?” Describe that in your post.:
PvX. Dungeons, Fractals, sPvP, WvW Havoc

Your home world and, if you wish, your guild’s preferred language:
Jade Quarry – English speaking

Times you are particularly active, such as guild events, meetings, new character runs, PvP practices, etc.:
We’re mostly on during NA evenings.

Guild leader in-game contact info or a link to your guild’s website or forums:
Kousei.5914 for in game
www.markedsouls.com

Other info you’d like to include:
We’re a small-medium casual guild that likes to do things together and cooperatively. Some of us have been together since our 2007 formation in GW1.

Leader of Marked Souls [MkS]
Jade Quarry

in Looking for...

Posted by: Scar.1793

Scar.1793

LFG – Mainly PvE focused + WvW {small squads} ( casual, no use of TS/Mumble)

Hey there, my main character is Hellfang, a big nasty Charr warrior. I’ve been playing the game since betas, and also played the betas of Guild Wars 1.

At the moment, I’m located in Vizunah Square’s server, but I’m more than willing to change to a new one. As you can see in the title, I do not wish to use VoIP. Not because I cannot, but because when I get back from work, I like to chill, listen to music. In-game text chat is more than enough for me. Problem is, most guilds using VoIP have their in-game chat inactive, which isn’t helping in building friendships.

Also, I hate sylvaris.

See you in-game maybe !

Hellfang

in Looking for...

Posted by: Gunslinger.7031

Gunslinger.7031

I recently came back to the game and I’m now in search for an active, casual & English speaking Tarnished Coast server based guild for weekly guild runs, fractals, WvW and etc.. I don’t mind using TS or Discord, but I prefer to not have to talk for personal leisure reasons.

I’m on the EST timezone and I usually play in the afternoons/evenings.

PM me here (or send me a whisper in game to Gunslinger.7031) if your guild fits the bill.

Many thanks : )

in Looking for...

Posted by: Chenren.2810

Chenren.2810

LFG Eredon Terrace, PvE, Casual, EST

It’s just me looking for a guild, and I’m hoping to find some other people to level with and eventually do late-game PvE and the like. I’d like to find a community that’s relatively close and welcoming, and I’m usually on in the afternoons, though frankly I can be a little bit sporadic. That, of course, I’d try to rein in as much as I could for a guild that I could kind of feel accepted in? I’d have to talk to a recruiter a bit to get a feel for the guild, so feel free to PM me or w/e. Also, I’d prefer not to use VIOP, honestly.

in Looking for...

Posted by: JabZta.3147

JabZta.3147

Hi,

I’m looking for scheduled RAIDs between 8am & 1pm daily.

Server preference: NA
Play Type Preference: RAID, PvE, PvP
Player Style: Semi-Hardcore
Voice preference: Discord / TS3

[wead]JabZta – 80 Sylvari Warrior