$10 for another character slot?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hostile.4925

Hostile.4925

Is it just me, or does that seem a bit excessive/expensive?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Liinniejj.4186

Liinniejj.4186

just buy gems for like 3 gold in game and you have enough

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Asterai.8197

Asterai.8197

No, paying $15/month to play your game at all seems a bit excessive.

Compared to the rest of the industry, ANet’s monetary policies are the very model of restraint.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: MajorKong.8095

MajorKong.8095

Yeah it’s excessive. They did it in GuildWars 1 as well and it annoyed a lot of people. It wouldn’t be so bad if they had enough slots for every class. I just wished they’d gone with cosmetic only microtransactions (or none at all).

MajorKong
Human Elementalist -The Iron Triangle [IRON]
My WvW review

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Elric of Grans.7684

Elric of Grans.7684

I think $10 for an extra character slot is fine. $7.50 for a little extra bank space is WAY too much though. $2.50 more and you get another character, who has more space to carry things, and you can play (therefore WAY better value for money).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

If you think it’s too expensive, you can always use your in game gold to buy the gems. It might take a while, but the extra character slots would be free if you do it that way.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: JoxerNL.3752

JoxerNL.3752

You can easily make the 2 gold needed to buy 800 gems in about 1 to 1 and a half hours of doing events in one of the zones.
Stop complaining about something so small and trivial.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Chaosrock.2360

Chaosrock.2360

You can just farm gold to buy the character slot. I fail to see any problem with this.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

Is it just me, or does that seem a bit excessive/expensive?

Intel i7 2600k / ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev3 / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
2 x Radeon HD 6870 Crossfire / 128GB Crucial M4
640GB WD Black / 64-bit Win 7 Home Premium

I dunno – looks like you had no problem plunking down $1200 on a computer to play this game. Can’t see how you’d see spending less than 1% of that on a character slot to be excessive.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lazure.6358

Lazure.6358

I can’t even buy a character slot! It’s missing from the gem store.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: RavenDaughter.1857

RavenDaughter.1857

I can’t even buy a character slot! It’s missing from the gem store.

Oh good, it’s not just me.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Arc.1425

Arc.1425

I can barely imagine playing a different character than my main. Personally $10 is fine with me.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kabuki.9103

Kabuki.9103

It’s basically $10 real money for those who:

1) don’t play much so don’t have much in game gold
2) still want another char slot for their nth noob toon

anyone else can easily just play and raise enough in game gold for another slot.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sola.2531

Sola.2531

Buy one character slot a month with real money and still pay less than the subscription costs of other games
Or, hold off on buying that new shiny piece of armor and save up a few in game gold to buy your character slot (I work full time and have a young child and consider myself a more causal gamer. I have already bought 800 gems with in game gold for my next slot).
Considering how much storage space and fun each character is, I think the costs are fine. Like others, it is some of the other items I think are more overpriced, like the bank tabs. Oh, the bank tabs. I’m still tempted to get another one…..

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zyborg.4071

Zyborg.4071

I don’t think it is expensive at all. As Asterai already pointed out, the fact that we’re not paying like $15/month is a huge plus. Then $10 wouldn’t be too much to pay for another character, wouldn’t it?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Angra.1405

Angra.1405

not a bad price one months pay for a new char slott and you dont even have to pay with real money

What is love~ Oh baby, don’t hurt me~
Don’t hurt me no more~ Doo dooo doo doo doo

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shael.4703

Shael.4703

It’s fine. It’s been that way since GW1 (I’m sure people will shout “But this is not GW1 this is a totally different game!” <— argument moot, it’s still ArenaNet).

You have to give them good revenue or risk their parent company shutting them down (just like what they did with Tabula Rasa [minus the personal reasons of course]). $10 per character slot, that’s cheap already. Don’t forget, you can convert your gold to gems if you really do not want to spend real world money.

And money-wise, they don’t earn a thing if you convert your gold to gems because there’s no way to convert those gems into real-world money unless they start to create an official exchange rate / market. So at the end of the day, it’s best that people buy these extra features with real-world money. And again, $10 is cheap already compared to other games

And mind you, from where I live, $10 is already a big amount.

My blog/sites: gameshogun & Tomes of Knowledge

(edited by Shael.4703)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kinoro.7594

Kinoro.7594

It doesn’t cost $10, it costs 800 gems. The reason it’s different is because you can get 800 gems without spending $10, thus you can get a character slot without paying $10.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

Price doesn’t bother me, but right now I can’t find them -_-

Are you Shpongled?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Erikon.6495

Erikon.6495

sell 1 item for 3 gold, problem solved

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I think $10 for an extra character slot is fine. $7.50 for a little extra bank space is WAY too much though. $2.50 more and you get another character, who has more space to carry things, and you can play (therefore WAY better value for money).

While that is all true the bank is more convenient than the character slot. At least for me, maybe you can swap characters with 0 load time.

If they were to sell an Account upgrade that allowed you to access the inventories of all characters standing next to a bank then this would be a totally different story.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: whiran.1473

whiran.1473

Currently the price to buy gems with gold is: 1gold to ~260 gems.

At that price you can spend ~3 gold (a little bit more) to get your bank upgrade.

Or, you can buy it with real money.

Still, the option to use in game money for the expansion of your bank slot is a nice feature to me.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: daftshadow.2876

daftshadow.2876

I do agree with the OP that $10 for ONE additional character slot is a bit expensive. Why couldn’t it be half that at $5 which is more reasonable and plus I think ANet would gain more sales since the $10 mark puts off a lot players from purchasing an extra(s) slots.

Instead of overcharging upgrades like character slots, they could add more items to the BLTC to get more sales.