A more reasonable solution to RNG Boxes.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

So, we all know that the current state for obtaining new weapon skins is garbage. Nobody likes it. Nobody wants it. Nobody thinks it’s a good idea except NCSoft and maybe the Korean market (not being racist, but lets be honest, 90% of Korean MMOs are riddled with RNG and it apparently does well there). The way to obtain weapon skins and cosmetics needs to change.

So, a gamble is appealing when the chance is worth it. Currently the gamble is not worth it at all and some people would rather an outright chance to just buy it, so I’ve come up with a solution that will make everyone happy.

Two things in the store:

Cosmetic Ticket.
This ticket would obviously change name and type and such for every new update. You would be able to use it purchase whatever cosmetic items are in the box. One ticket = 1 skin. Price: 500 – 800 gems.

RNG Box
The RNG box has the standard stuff in it, (like the consortium one) but has a ONE IN TEN (1/10 or 10%) chance to drop a Cosmetic Ticket. This is a fair chance at the item.

Price: 75 – 150 per box.

This solution makes everyone happy. You can either try your luck on a box, for cheap, or you can avoid the RNG and buy it outright. This also means the odds are REASONABLE, while NCSoft and ArenaNet make their money. If you buy boxes, you know the odds are against you, but they are reasonable and fair. You understand that in the long run it’s probably cheaper to buy the skin, but you can luck out and just buy 1 box. If you don’t like RNG, you buy the skin and ArenaNet makes more money.

This solution will stop everyone complaining and keep the current RNG in, because I doubt NCSoft will ever let it go. I fail to see any issue with this either. More people are likely to buy weapons if the chance is decent or they can simply avoid RNG. It’s the same as precursors in for legendaries. Players can either save up and buy it from the trading post or try their luck with the forge. In most instances the cost is about the same and some get lucky and others get unlucky.

Would everyone be okay with this system? Personally if I wanted a weapon I’d buy a box or two and if I didn’t get it, I’d just buy the ticket. What about you guys? Would you pay for this method?

noice

(edited by mexay.3902)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: WaxWorm.8574

WaxWorm.8574

[…] but has a ONE IN TEN (1/10 or 10%) chance to drop a Cosmetic Ticket. This means that, mathematically you would need TEN boxes to have a 100% chance to get a cosmetic ticket.
[…]

Mathematically absolutely wrong

But I agree, that there have to be better chances to get some of those skins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Stone.6751

Stone.6751

I’m actually pretty alright with the RNG system. It means that anyone with a small amount of gold to spend (or who gets a crate/chest/key in game) has a chance at a very exclusive item.

People love having gear to show off, and the little guy gets a shot at it this way and it isn’t ruined by the guys who have a lot of actual dollars to throw into the gem store (unless those guys are gullible enough to dump a lot of dollars into it trying).

Penny Royalty – Level 80 Guardian
Raingarde – Level 80 Necromancer

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gasoline.2570

Gasoline.2570

I’m actually pretty alright with the RNG system. It means that anyone with a small amount of gold to spend (or who gets a crate/chest/key in game) has a chance at a very exclusive item.

People love having gear to show off, and the little guy gets a shot at it this way and it isn’t ruined by the guys who have a lot of actual dollars to throw into the gem store (unless those guys are gullible enough to dump a lot of dollars into it trying).

Yeah it’s all fun and games until theres a skin you want and you really don’t care what anyone else thinks.

Then it becomes a real pain.

Unless you’re lucky.

Guess what.

You’re not.

RNG.

Asia.

Fin.

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

The RNG box has the standard stuff in it, (like the consortium one) but has a ONE IN TEN (1/10 or 10%) chance to drop a Cosmetic Ticket. This means that, mathematically you would need TEN boxes to have a 100% chance to get a cosmetic ticket. Price: 75 – 150 per box.

Please go review your statistics.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

One would think that a one in 10 chance, in theory, would = a 100% after 10 tries (IN THEORY)

but whatever, my maths was never my strong point. Anyway, a 10% chance is reasonable.

No. Getting heads on a coin is a one in 2 chance. In theory, after 2 tries, are you guaranteed heads? Read up on it before you try to talk “theory.”

Probability isn’t additive, it’s multiplicative. For a 10% chance, the probability of getting at least one ticket after 10 tries is 65%

100% – 90%^10 (probability of getting nothing at all) = probability of getting at least one.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

[…] …
[…]

Mathematically absolutely wrong

But I agree, that there have to be better chances to get some of those skins.

Please go review your statistics.

My apologies. It’s early and I was never that great at maths. Main post has been edited.

noice

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Stone.6751

Stone.6751

Yeah it’s all fun and games until theres a skin you want and you really don’t care what anyone else thinks.

Then it becomes a real pain.

Unless you’re lucky.

Guess what.

You’re not.

RNG.

Asia.

Fin.

There hasn’t been one single item in this game, or any game, where I had to have it no matter the cost. This game especially, because the new shiny skins out today are replaced tomorrow by something else shiny. Everyone wanted those SAB skins, and now how many people are running around with them? Then everyone wanted the Molten skins, now people want the ugly Southsun skins, and tomorrow something else.

Penny Royalty – Level 80 Guardian
Raingarde – Level 80 Necromancer

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It’s not gambling because you always get something. The problem here is you want the item that’s described as “rare” and are upset that they didn’t lie about the fact that it’s rare, as in infrequent, slight chance, seldom occurring.

This is just like blind-box and capsule toys throughout Asia.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes