Block second hand sales

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

TP should be changed so each item can only be sold once, by anyone. The sold once flag would go up once the item actually sells, so not just from putting it up on the tp or re-listing. So if you find an item you don’t want you can sell it, if you need an item you can buy it, but you can’t buy an item only to sell it back for more right then or a year down the road.

This would prevent tp manipulation and “playing the market”, but people who don’t do that and just play the game would remain unaffected.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rassst.5791

Rassst.5791

Why you want to affect those who play like they want but not like you want?
Current system was done with purpose.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Da Sonic.6521

Da Sonic.6521

The ability to resell items is a massive goldsink, and with the current state of gold, we need more goldsinks, not less. John Smith, a few hours ago, said that it would take 53 thousand ecto (approximately one third of the current total supply) “a few hours” to clear in the current market. Presumably a large portion of that is people buying Ecto speculating the price to rise further. The listing fees for 53 thousand ecto at the current price is ~3100 gold. On one item. Over a few hours. If we removed the ability to trade already traded items, it would be a MASSIVE loss of goldsink.

Additionally, “remain unaffected” is a bit misleading. I would be very very surprised to hear that the majority of players have not accidentally bought too many of ________ item and sold them back to the trading post to recover most of their money.

Additionally, this would be a massive use of resources to have an additional flag for every single trade-able item in the game, and it would be very finicky with items that stack, which is the majority of items that are “manipulated”.

Additionally, playing the market is not a bad thing, it is capitalizing on the fact that people are willing to pay more for an item than it is currently listed for. What people tend to forget is that if the price of items goes up, the price of items that you get as drops is higher too.

Genesis Theory [GT] (HoD)

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Ah! This topic again.

takes a drink

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

What they should do is just add a 5% additional sales tax every 500 full listings you sell. And I don’t mean to include direct sales in that either… just items listed like say you list 50 iron… if that all sells or if you pull it off the tp then that’s 1… etc…

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Ah! This topic again.

takes a drink

No one told me we started a drinking game. Was the word of the day “manipulation”?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

What they should do is just add a 5% additional sales tax every 500 full listings you sell. And I don’t mean to include direct sales in that either… just items listed like say you list 50 iron… if that all sells or if you pull it off the tp then that’s 1… etc…

Soo, after 5000 sold items (or stacks) you would have 50% additional sales tax? Yeah, sounds great.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Because when you see in TP section a topic about a guy posting an order of 92.000 ecto (about 30.000 gold) nobody bats an eye and instead discuss how profit the situation….

Even the dev doesn t ask himself if there is nothing wrong with a player having 30.000 gold (nothing achievable by playing any other part of the game).

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Ah! This topic again.

takes a drink

No one told me we started a drinking game. Was the word of the day “manipulation”?

And chug a beer every time JS says “no.”

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Because when you see in TP section a topic about a guy posting an order of 92.000 ecto (about 30.000 gold) nobody bats an eye and instead discuss how profit the situation….

Even the dev doesn t ask himself if there is nothing wrong with a player having 30.000 gold (nothing achievable by playing any other part of the game).

Last time i checked, it is perfectly legitimate to buy 30.000 gold with gems.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rassst.5791

Rassst.5791

I think 30.000 is perfectly achievable with a little bit of dedication and without crafting those ugly legendaries.

There is surely people with 10+ legendaries who just farm, play events, do dungeon runs and sell lootz. 10+ legendaries is about those 30.000 gold.

(edited by Rassst.5791)

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Risingashes.8694

Risingashes.8694

Ah! This topic again.

takes a drink

We’d all be dead within the week. Can’t buy spare livers with GW2 gold.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Risingashes.8694

This person got this gold by directly benefiting other players.

When someone wanted gold he bought their item. When someone wanted the item he sold it to them for gold.

Both parties benefited, no gold was created.

That’s the difference between trading and ‘other parts of the game’. Non-trading wealth is gained from nothingness, it’s created. Trading wealth is gained only with direct consent of other players.

If other methods of gaining wealth was pegged to trading there would be a massive influx of gold in to the system, causing hyperinflation. Under inflation the trader is able to make even more money, meaning the droprates would need to be increased again, causing more and more hyperinflation, which will increase trader profits.

It is literally impossible for a trader not to make more money than farmers, because farmers contribute nothing to other players, and their wealth is created out of thin air.

If your suggestion was put in to place it would make things harder to sell for people with items, and things harder to buy for people with gold. And the benefit would be your feelings not being hurt because of jealousy.

It’s not the game’s job to make you not feel jealous of people with imaginary pixels. Why not do things in the game that you enjoy and leave the markets to those who happen to enjoy playing them?

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

It’s called soul/account bound, and the game already has WAY too much of this.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

LordByron.8369

@rising i hope you are sarcastic.
I dare you to post something like that in a less biased section….

Players are tired of this system hurting the game for the sake of few minigame players….

This is the section managed to celebrate the TP spculation but both in game than in other section, most player have a totally different view.

The fact the TP issue appeared in the first CDI topic many time just suggests how things really are…

Unfortunately its Always moved and discussed in this section….a great way to keep the discussion extremely biased.

Accountbound on TP sales could really be good for the game….uhnfortunately would not be for TP flippers and their protector…

GW2 balance:
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Risingashes.8694

@LordByron: So instead of addressing anything I said you’re using the ol’ “You must be joking, anyone who thinks differently than me is a clown” defense.

Okay. We’re all monsters who want to hurt casuals- you got us.

There we go sarcasm. Compare the above line to my other post so you can see the difference in the future.

After you’ve completed your exercise, tell me: why do people who get drops deserve less money for their items? Because that’s what your system would do.

Since you’ve (purposefully) forgotten that there are always two sides to every transaction, I think it’ll be nice to see how you justify hurting suppliers just so you can get more shinies.

(edited by Risingashes.8694)

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Players are tired of this system hurting the game for the sake of few minigame players….

And that is your biased opinion.

It’s ok, we all have them.

They are also usually wrong, since as an opinion, they are not facts.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

I’m casual, I don’t flip the TP, I don’t have much money … but no way do I want this.

I think it’s fine as it is – I can buy and sell what I want, when I want, if I have enough money, and I’m more than happy to work for the money and save up if it’s an expensive item. Items that are purely convenience for the game are not expensive – it’s only rare items that I don’t really need that cost anything (such is life – real and in-game, so what’s different?)

Contrary to what some argue, I don’t believe that flippers push prices up – what sells sells at what price it’s going provided there are people willing to pay. The items I see at ridiculous prices are all “nice to haves” not “need to haves”, and there are so many “nice to haves” going cheap or available as rewards in-game that even my multiple characters cannot possibly equip them all. I can only imagine when some things get to the prices they do, it’s flippers flipping each other and nobody else, in which case, all the luck to them.

I don’t consider myself unusually punished because I play casually or spend less hours in game than others – not by the TP anyway. There are different aspects to this game that the TP doesn’t touch on that need sorting out in that regard, and I’d much rather start there.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

LordByron.8369

@LordByron: So instead of addressing anything I said you’re using the ol’ “You must be joking, anyone who thinks differently than me is a clown” defense..

i ll answer only to this since i know this part of the forum is the worse to debate about economy impact of the game (this is the section for making money on other players….).

There is a limit where logic suggests a post can t really ne serious or possibly extremely uninformed.

When i read TP flippers are heroes, and they are good for normal players that logic line is crossed for me….

Since i find extremely easy to understand how wrong it is and how often it have been discussed.

The proof is the rampant inflation and the funny vids a user posted in order to try to link inflation to Queen s gauntlet.

That videos instead showed that despite queen s gauntlet affected for a time gold value, there were no subsequent deflation and a steady increment of inflation continued despite the event finished (that was even during summer with less people playing)….

Another proof is seeing how any announce is not changing item values by much….(see precursor crafting when was credible) clear symptom of a controlled market (and no even if 10% precursor are put in the market by “normal player” the market is still easy to control with the hundred thousands golds some TP guilds/players have).

Instead it clearly shown how bad TP affects inflation expecially on any rare good.

@crossed horse-….. you can t really believe IF tp flippers are pushing prices…
We have proofs and posts with screens of people intentionally pushing prices….
Its undeniable after this long.
Do you think that prices can increase to 10.000% in 2 hours due to genuine demand?
I think not

GW2 balance:

(edited by LordByron.8369)

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

mtpelion.4562

Inflation is caused by:
1. Dungeon Gold Rewards
2. Event Gold Rewards
3. Mob Gold Drops
4. Chest Gold Drops

Deflation is caused by:
1. Trading Post Fees
2. Repair Fees
3. Crafting materials (like Coal and Thread)
4. Cultural Armor

The Trading Post cannot possibly increase inflation, because it exclusively works to DELETE gold from the game.

(edited by mtpelion.4562)

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

What is wrong with someone having 30,000g?

If you think 30,000G is a lot, go ask the guy on SoR about how he got his 200,000G. He even got contacted by Anet to check out any suspicious activity, but instead congratulated him on such a feat.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Buford.2954

Buford.2954

Like mtpelion said, if you want to look to what causes inflation in an economy it is the creation of money that in turn devalues the worth of the money itself. Any loot drop is a creation of money that did not exist before. Without a check that removes currency from circulation, the value will continue to decrease; this is inflation. A small, steady rate of inflation is NOT a bad thing, but checks must be in place to avoid hyperinflation. TP fees are one way of removing this currency, another is the Mystic Forge as less value is returned from the forge overall than is put into it as it is designed as a lottery and the house always wins.

Preventing sales more than once would stagnate the market horribly and would wreck the in-game economy. Good luck selling much of anything if buyers can’t resell the things they don’t need, and those TP flippers you hate so much are a good many of your customers. I hope you like sitting on a bank’s worth of loot that you can’t sell anymore not because it was already sold once, but because no one wants to buy it.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

i ll answer only to this since i know this part of the forum is the worse to debate about economy impact of the game (this is the section for making money on other players….).
I think not

This is actually the best section of the forum to discuss this and it belongs here.
Maybe its time for you to consider that the reason why you get so much opposition to your claims that rampant speculation and tp flippers are causing inflation and are bad for the economy is that you are simply wrong.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Sometimes I wish they would actually do this… just for a week.

It would be fun to see all the people supporting this idea to come back here begging for forgiveness and to change it back.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Infamous Darkness.3284

Infamous Darkness.3284

@LordByron: So instead of addressing anything I said you’re using the ol’ “You must be joking, anyone who thinks differently than me is a clown” defense..

There is a limit where logic suggests a post can t really ne serious or possibly extremely uninformed.

When i read TP flippers are heroes, and they are good for normal players that logic line is crossed for me….

Since i find extremely easy to understand how wrong it is and how often it have been discussed.

The proof is the rampant inflation and the funny vids a user posted in order to try to link inflation to Queen s gauntlet.

That videos instead showed that despite queen s gauntlet affected for a time gold value, there were no subsequent deflation and a steady increment of inflation continued despite the event finished (that was even during summer with less people playing)….

Another proof is seeing how any announce is not changing item values by much….(see precursor crafting when was credible) clear symptom of a controlled market (and no even if 10% precursor are put in the market by “normal player” the market is still easy to control with the hundred thousands golds some TP guilds/players have).

Instead it clearly shown how bad TP affects inflation expecially on any rare good.

@crossed horse-….. you can t really believe IF tp flippers are pushing prices…
We have proofs and posts with screens of people intentionally pushing prices….
Its undeniable after this long.
Do you think that prices can increase to 10.000% in 2 hours due to genuine demand?
I think not

Alright mr Byron here is a personal example from my trading experience, for about the last year and a half or so I have been continually buying Piles of Putrid essence a tier 6 material in the same category as lodestones, I paid somewhere between 53c to 2s for each one, I currently have over 70,000 because I believe that in the future these will be used for creating legendaries or something to bring their value in line with the other tier 6 ingredients. Now if there weren’t people like me speculating on these their value would’ve easily dropped below their price of 48 copper and many would’ve been just sold to the merchant instead, meaning if there ever came a time when their supply was useful and necessary to make new items there wouldn’t be nearly as many around so in this example I believe I show that long term investing is good for the economy of the game in the way that it will reduce the price spikes in areas with newly created items.

Infamous Culverin(engi[Main]), one of every other class.
Karl Marx: “Go away! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!”

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I recently started flipping just to try things out, and found out that if you are patient, it works. I am making more gold flipping than I ever could in other areas of the game (for me, this is between 2g and 10g per day). I don’t have enough gold to engage in big time speculation, but I do buy things that I am hoping will go up in the future.

Aside from being profitable, it’s enjoyable, and no matter what people outside the realm of flipping say, there is PvP that goes on at the TP. I’ve gotten into bid wars against both bots and other players (and found a way to beat many of the bots). I’ve won, I’ve lost(:ahem: on essences, I may add, Mr. Darkness), and in general had a good time.

Just because you can’t flip a few items and turn it into a get-rich-quick scheme doesn’t mean that others should be punished. The OP sounds more like someone mad over losing a bunch of gold on bad investments. I’ve lost, so far, about 40gold on the Lovestruck weapon skins I purchased, thinking they would jump just before Valentines day, which they never did, but I’m not throwing a fit over it. I invested, and I lost. Instead of complaining I moved on to something else, and now am well ahead of where I was a couple weeks ago, and to top it off I have some skins I can use (I happen to like them, which was my catch-all should my investment fail).

The OP’s idea is not a solution to losing a bunch of gold on an investment, it’s just jealousy.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

I find it rather typical that many posters will jump on LordByron here. It is very evident that many posters in this section have vested interests in flipping/speculation/etc…It is also very typical for these types to have a very narrow view of the trading post. They tend to not be concerned with any negative aspects that such a system puts into effect. While I might not agree with LordByron’s more extreme view of things, I do believe he brings up many valid points that deserve more than the predictable criticism by those with obvious extreme bias.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

I find it rather typical that many posters will jump on LordByron here. It is very evident that many posters in this section have vested interests in flipping/speculation/etc…It is also very typical for these types to have a very narrow view of the trading post. They tend to not be concerned with any negative aspects that such a system puts into effect. While I might not agree with LordByron’s more extreme view of things, I do believe he brings up many valid points that deserve more than the predictable criticism by those with obvious extreme bias.

And which valid points are this?

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

mtpelion.4562

The negative aspects of the trading post are only perceived from a certain point of view. A fully fact-based view of the trading post returns no negative aspects at all.

Since the negative aspects are part of an opinion and are not facts, they are not valid points at all since they cannot be argued in a debate.

I’ve used this line before to illustrate the main reason it seems there is such hostility towards the “TP is bad” people, but here it goes again:

When you say “the TP is bad because x” what we hear is you trying to argue that “the sky is bad because it is seven”. We can’t address your points because to us, they are complete nonsense. I can’t argue that the sky is NOT seven, because either position is silly to me.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Essence Snow.3194

This section is mostly haunted by those with vested interests.
The only real benefit of flipping/speculating/etc outside of a gold sink is of the individual capitalizing from it, not the game as a whole.
Relying so heavily on the tp gold sink for curbing inflation is a rather “lazy approach”.
There are many cons that the current system inflicts upon the whole game to rely on such a gold sink method. ( I could expand on this, as I have in the past, but find it is mostly a waste of time given the majority audience in this section)

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

mtpelion.4562

Every player has a vested interest in the TP. It keeps the economy from either stagnating or hyperinflating.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Essence Snow.3194

I hope your are intelligent to know what I meant by the statement and are just using semantics for kittens and giggles. If you want an actual discussion I will entertain it.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

mtpelion.4562

I hope your are intelligent to know what I meant by the statement and are just using semantics for kittens and giggles. If you want an actual discussion I will entertain it.

I know what you meant, I just wanted to point out that while some people benefit on a more personal level from their interaction with the market, the market benefits everyone.

Full Disclosure: I’m sitting on 191g right now. I’m a very conservative investor, primarily because I don’t have the recreational time available to commit to investing in game. I’m not personally using the market to amass a vast fortune, but I do understand and defend the concept of a free market from both a philosophical and financial standpoint.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

The only real benefit of flipping/speculating/etc outside of a gold sink is of the individual capitalizing from it, not the game as a whole.
Relying so heavily on the tp gold sink for curbing inflation is a rather “lazy approach”.
There are many cons that the current system inflicts upon the whole game to rely on such a gold sink method. ( I could expand on this, as I have in the past, but find it is mostly a waste of time given the majority audience in this section)

If I flip any given item, there are 3 people involved, the one that fill my buy order, the one that buys my sell listing and me. How can you argue that this doesnt benefit the game as a whole but only me? The other 2 also capitalized on it, while they usually represent the general player base.

And again you claim there are many cons but you dont care to elaborate on it further.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Essence Snow.3194

If I flip any given item, there are 3 people involved, the one that fill my buy order, the one that buys my sell listing and me. How can you argue that this doesnt benefit the game as a whole but only me? The other 2 also capitalized on it, while they usually represent the general player base.

And again you claim there are many cons but you dont care to elaborate on it further.

Simplifying of terms….the 2 impatient parties other than yourself get cancelled out due to 2 other patient parties that it still effects. There are 2 sides, both instant and listings.

As a whole the game has to restrict drop rates, restrict rewards, rely heavily on RNG, allow players to have substantial impacts on other players, and more to sustain the tp gold sink in it current form. It is no secret that this game is not very rewarding outside of the tp. If this were not an adventuring game I would fully understand that.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.7601

You make it sound like the gold sink is a minor benefit.

I disagree – it is a huge benefit that is more important to the game by being included than without. Any negatives related to prioritizing gold sinks are miniscule compared to having a game without gold sinks.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Essence Snow.3194

I disagree – it is a huge benefit that is more important to the game by being included than without. Any negatives related to prioritizing gold sinks are miniscule compared to having a game without gold sinks.

I in no way think it’s minor. I just think that there can and should be better alternatives that do not have such a sweeping effect on gameplay (playing content outside of the tp) rewards.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

Simplifying of terms….the 2 impatient parties other than yourself get cancelled out due to 2 other patient parties that it still effects. There are 2 sides, both instant and listings.

As a whole the game has to restrict drop rates, restrict rewards, rely heavily on RNG, allow players to have substantial impacts on other players, and more to sustain the tp gold sink in it current form. It is no secret that this game is not very rewarding outside of the tp. If this were not an adventuring game I would fully understand that.

Apart from the obvious limitations a system as proposed by the OP (first and foremost the separation of tradeable and untradable items in bags/banks/collectible tabs) it wont make a difference to the fact that some people will make more gold through the TP than the average player through PvE rewards. It might block out constant flipping or speculating but clever people will just shift to salvaging/crafting, in order to make profit off items they get for cheap on the TP.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.7601

I in no way think it’s minor. I just think that there can and should be better alternatives that do not have such a sweeping effect on gameplay (playing content outside of the tp) rewards.

Well what kind of gold sinks in game should we have that will be as effective as the TP?

I cannot think of anything that will sink just as frequently and encompassing across the population than the TP.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

mtpelion.4562

Well what kind of gold sinks in game should we have that will be as effective as the TP?

I cannot think of anything that will sink just as frequently and encompassing across the population than the TP.

How about bumping Waypoint fees up to 3g per use?
:P

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Infamous Darkness.3284

Infamous Darkness.3284

no, because that would kill certain dungeons and new people in the game, AC, TA,CM, SE would probably become by and far the most often run dungeons because you can get to them right at the exit of a racial capital and other dungeons would cost as much to get there as you would make (almost).

Infamous Culverin(engi[Main]), one of every other class.
Karl Marx: “Go away! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!”

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

And repairs and trait respecs to 5g :P

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

mtpelion.4562

no, because that would kill certain dungeons and new people in the game, AC, TA,CM, SE would probably become by and far the most often run dungeons because you can get to them right at the exit of a racial capital and other dungeons would cost as much to get there as you would make (almost).

I was being facetious, hence the ( :P ) smiley.

The main reason why the TP is the best way to deflate the currency is because it has an extreme number of transactions and thus only needs to delete a small amount of currency per transaction keeping it an affordable method. If we were to transition the gold sink into other areas of the game they would become so insanely expensive that new and poor players would be unable to play.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Essence Snow.3194

Off the top of my head….

Reducing direct gold inputs. This would include less coin drops and less items directly converted to coin….ie less merched rewards. To balance this there would need to be an increase in non-converted rewards. It’s a balancing act so we’d need to make sure it didn’t tilt too far to one side or another.

Entry fees to coveted rewards. This is sorta like UW/FOW from GW1. Players wanting a chance at a certain reward item pay an entrance fee to have access to content providing said rewards.

Less focus on gold in general. Shifting focus from gold to item rewards should encourage less gold farming and more item specific farming/adventuring.

The magic find rework was genius. It not only reworked the mf debacle, but it also acts as a preventative measure to curb inflation. More implementations of things of this nature would greatly benefit this objective.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.7601

I was being facetious, hence the ( :P ) smiley.

The main reason why the TP is the best way to deflate the currency is because it has an extreme number of transactions and thus only needs to delete a small amount of currency per transaction keeping it an affordable method. If we were to transition the gold sink into other areas of the game they would become so insanely expensive that new and poor players would be unable to play.

And the great thing about the TP is that it’s all encompassing. A large majority of the population will use it.

You could introduce insane gold sinks, like 500G per T4 armor piece, but not everyone will be going for T4 armor, so it’s ineffective.

You could introduce T6 mats that can be purchased from vendors (while all T6 droppable mats are removed from the game), but not everyone purchases T6 mats.

Or you can introduce something as absurd kitten G waypoints, and people will begin to quit this game en masse.

There really is nothing I can think of that can be an alternatve to the TP as a gold sink.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tawn.9871

Tawn.9871

I still don’t understand what the big problem with the TP as it is now is. Why are we discussing alternatives before a problem has been identified?

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

Off the top of my head….

Reducing direct gold inputs. This would include less coin drops and less items directly converted to coin….ie less merched rewards. To balance this there would need to be an increase in non-converted rewards. It’s a balancing act so we’d need to make sure it didn’t tilt too far to one side or another.

Entry fees to coveted rewards. This is sorta like UW/FOW from GW1. Players wanting a chance at a certain reward item pay an entrance fee to have access to content providing said rewards.

Less focus on gold in general. Shifting focus from gold to item rewards should encourage less gold farming and more item specific farming/adventuring.

The magic find rework was genius. It not only reworked the mf debacle, but it also acts as a preventative measure to curb inflation. More implementations of things of this nature would greatly benefit this objective.

Reducing direct gold inputs is not a gold sink. All it would do is make people who obtained tons of gold already more rich in comparison to new players.

Taking away the neccessity of gold would also greatly diminish gem purchases.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.7601

Off the top of my head….

You can reduce gold faucets , but that still doesn’t get rid of the TP, and people would still be flipping to make lots of gold since flipping takes advantages of player’s psychological desire for instant gratification (which you cannot change).

If you want to get rid of the TP, you need to find an alternative gold sink to the TP and reducing gold faucets don’t come anything close to that.

Regarding making gold less of a focus, I agree that this can be a way to change things up.

But can you imagine the amount of whine on these forums? For these items to be of any value and to be a long-term goal rather than a 1-day goal, it would have to be grindy, like farming 250 dragonite ingots. Or you would have Anet design content so hard and challenging that only 1% of the playerbase could access these rewards.

Is it really worth making your fanbase this disgruntled with the game for the sake of taking gold away from TP players?

I emphatically say no. TP players aren’t even a problem to begin with.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Essence Snow.3194

I never said I wanted to get rid of the tp. I’m pretty sure we’ve had that conversation b4 in another thread. Again it’s not an all or nothing prospect.

Block second hand sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

I never said I wanted to get rid of the tp. I’m pretty sure we’ve had that conversation b4 in another thread. Again it’s not an all or nothing prospect.

No, you didnt. You just came in here to call people biased and spread your off topic suggestion of a different rewards system.