Can we talk about exclusive dyes?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: SansSariph.9548

SansSariph.9548

I don’t expect this thread to go anywhere, but I want to make sure the feedback is explicit.

The idea of time-locked, exclusive dyes (implemented as-is) is not a good one.

During the beta events, there was a big hullabaloo over the fact that dyes were becoming character-specific instead of account-wide. ArenaNet presented arguments in favor of this change (which I did, and still do, completely disagree with). However, dyes are in abundant supply on the trading post, so I can acquire them at my own pace on each character.

Thanks to the Living Story, we’ve had several sets of “exclusive” dye introduced. I was on a GW2 vacation for the past several months, so I’m trying to get over the anxiety I’m experiencing that I will theoretically never be able to obtain some of these dyes.

Looking at this new toxic dye kit… we’re paying more than a dollar at one shot at a random dye, with only a 1 in 5 chance of it being one of the new hues. And that’s for one character.

If I wanted to unlock all 6 of these dyes across all of my characters, for posterity’s sake, just in case I wanted that specific shade a year from now, I’d have to pour so much money down the RNG machine I wouldn’t be able to pay rent this month. I could go to the Trading Post and pay (currently) 20-50 gold per dye, per character, financed through a gem-to-gold conversion. This would almost certainly end up being cheaper.

What I’m getting at here, is that I know the official ArenaNet stance is that dyes aren’t “collectibles”. To many players, me included, they very much are. I’m obsessive about my colors and I feel an almost physical need to obtain the exclusives on each character, just in case. I can break out my wallet after work tonight, but in doing so I’ll be cursing and boiling away a lot of good will. In reality I’ll probably spend nothing, and still have lost good feelings towards ArenaNet and the game.

Making these account wide would actually dispel a lot of my discomfort. I’d be okay paying cash for time-gated account wide dyes, because I’d have something to show for my money two years from now when I decide I really want to play an elementalist instead of a necromancer, for example.

Please reconsider the design here. Again, I want to emphasize that the current system is actively discouraging me from spending money that I would otherwise be comfortable spending.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Alice.8694

Alice.8694

Please reconsider the design here. Again, I want to emphasize that the current system is actively discouraging me from spending money that I would otherwise be comfortable spending.

Very much agree, personally after the jade ticket debacle I have no intention of buying any form of gambling based item from the cash shop store again.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

100% agree. I’ve stated this elsewhere a million times I am sure but I have a complete set of normal dyes on my first character. I have several 1/2 completed sets on all my alts. Then comes flame and frost, I did buy into it and tired. 2k gems later I had 1 of the new dyes and I gave up.

I love dyes but they aren’t worth 30g+ and I don’t want to spend gems at a chance I know I am going to lose, plus they are character bound and not account bound. Simply put this is just one of many things in GW2 that aren’t collectable or alt friendly.

I am still trying to come to terms with this, by now you would think it wouldn’t upset me in the slightest. However every RNG pack I see continues to annoy me.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

I completely understand. I have all the dyes on 1 character and honestly it is the dyes over everything else that make me not want to play alts.

I never use some of the colors but I feel like I should have it on my character. I have to make myself not buy them for multiple characters I was broke even before the exclusive dyes because of colors on alts so I guess the exclusive dyes saved me a good chunk of gold because it made me stop getting dyes on alts.

I now only let my newer characters get a full set of the blue quality dyes and that is it. My warrior was the first alt I actually opened unidentified dyes on since the cost of them is so high now. I will probably never play anything other than my mesmer for an extended period of time for the simple fact that I cannot afford to have all the dyes on them.

Some people are into different things. A person can collect minis in this game and resell them if they are tired of them. Even skins you can switch between characters if you decide on a different profession. If you collect dyes it is very costly and no way to recoup the money if you tire of the color.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Drucilla.3158

Drucilla.3158

3k+ gems later and I’m the proud owner of two of the six shades. Neither is one I particularly wanted, but I guess I should feel fortunate that I spent the equivalent of 45 US dollars on them.

Fires of Wisdom [WISE]
Angry Intent [AI]
Yak’s Bend

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

3k+ gems later and I’m the proud owner of two of the six shades. Neither is one I particularly wanted, but I guess I should feel fortunate that I spent the equivalent of 45 US dollars on them.

Wouldnt it be cheaper to buy them on the TP for gold?

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sir Myron Gaines.2189

Sir Myron Gaines.2189

I expect a dye system overhaul in the future. Adding achievements as well as a title to ownership of them would be great. Still, the one thing that really discourages me from leveling an alt is the fact that it won’t possess 300g+ worth of dyes.

Lord Thomas

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: RainbowSyrup.4130

RainbowSyrup.4130

I dont mind it at all. In most other MMO’s you have to spend money on dyes EACH TIME you want to dye a piece of armor. In GW2 once you buy a dye you have it forever. Ofc it would be awesome with account bound dyes, but I think that if they ever implement that, most dyes will skyrocket anyways. :p

’’I’m sad hanar can’t wear sweaters’’
-Grunt

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Drucilla.3158

Drucilla.3158

Not really, I had the gems. My in-game gold has been low since crafting my legendary and ascended weapon.

Fires of Wisdom [WISE]
Angry Intent [AI]
Yak’s Bend

in Black Lion Trading Co

SansSariph.9548

I dont mind it at all. In most other MMO’s you have to spend money on dyes EACH TIME you want to dye a piece of armor. In GW2 once you buy a dye you have it forever. Ofc it would be awesome with account bound dyes, but I think that if they ever implement that, most dyes will skyrocket anyways. :p

Sure, but you have to keep in mind that the market prices for dyes should already reflect the fact that they’re re-usable. If gold or gem prices for dyes would go up with account binding, I think that’s an acceptable trade-off.

The thing I take issue with is that I don’t know which characters I’ll be playing in the future. I do know that I have probably 2-4 weeks to buy enough of the exclusive dyes to last me… forever? Across all of the characters I have now and might have in the future.

Out of:

• Character-specific dyes
  • Event exclusive dyes
  • RNG dyes on the gem store

I don’t think any of those are inherently evil. I liken dye packs to TCG booster packs – it can in fact be fun to see which commons and which uncommons you get! I do think the price for a single event dye is too high, but that’s a different discussion.

Where it starts to venture into dangerous territory is when you combine all three of these things, which is the situation we have today, and my argument is that making only event exclusive dyes be unlocked account-wide is the maybe most straightforward way to solve the problem.

In my fantasy land, all dyes are account-wide, dyes are cheaper, there are no timed exclusive dyes. You could keep color coordinated themed dye packs, it’s kind of a cool idea.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

I do find it strange just how hard the game makes it to want to collect things. Dyes being soulbound just discourages anyone with an alt from collecting. Minis being so hard to actually use/display/keep in your bag makes them really forgettable. Armour and weapon skins… well.

I love the game, but this is just a really strange system to me. Collectors spend money and play obsessively, why design the game to exclude them?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Curse Drew.8679

Curse Drew.8679

There’s comparable shades for a few silver. Mainly the super rich who want them just because there expensive, the obsessive completionists, and speculators are the ones who buy these.

Players fuel the gold to gem ratio, converting the gold to gems. It’s also adds a huge gold sink since some of the gold isn’t re-entering the economy. The upwards gem to gold prices show more players are converting gold to gems, versus those converting gems to gold. When players use these dyes, all that gold gets consumed into thier character.

It’s really a great way for ANET to make money, raise gold to gem conversion, and help remove gold from the economy by something as easy as adding a new color.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I’d love to see the gemstore exclusive dyes be account bound. I’d be opposed to the rest of the dyes being account bound, though.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

in Black Lion Trading Co

CrashTestAuto.9108

I’d love to see the gemstore exclusive dyes be account bound. I’d be opposed to the rest of the dyes being account bound, though.

Out of curiosity, why is this? I’m genuinely stuck as to the reasoning behind character bound dyes.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Guhracie.3419

To me, personally, it adds weight to making the decision of who gets which dye, and this allows the drops to be rather plentiful and the cost of most basic dyes to be under 1g. I also feel like a lot of people who spent a lot of money getting expensive dyes on more than one character would be rightfully angry at this change.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien

in Black Lion Trading Co

CrashTestAuto.9108

To me, personally, it adds weight to making the decision of who gets which dye, and this allows the drops to be rather plentiful and the cost of most basic dyes to be under 1g. I also feel like a lot of people who spent a lot of money getting expensive dyes on more than one character would be rightfully angry at this change.

Oh yes, I understand the problem of implementing it now (I’d hope that if it was implemented then any unlocked duplicates would be returned as the item to the player). I’m not sure I agree with you that account bound dyes would necessitate fewer drops or that basic dyes were more expensive though. If a dye is account bound then that means each player only needs one of them (rather than five as standard), so any spares they get go straight on the TP.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

As someone who unlocked every F&F dye on three characters, I would still welcome this change. My other 5 characters are waiting for the day these dyes become account bound. I would not be angry, I’d be very, very happy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

That just means some poor other player was duped into spending money for RNG in order to list them on the TP in the first place. Now if you tell me the listing price on the TP will allow that player to recoup their losses (i.e. the gold from the sale will be the same as having traded the original gems for gold), I’ll grant you your point.

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServerâ„¢, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

That just means some poor other player was duped into spending money for RNG in order to list them on the TP in the first place. Now if you tell me the listing price on the TP will allow that player to recoup their losses (i.e. the gold from the sale will be the same as having traded the original gems for gold), I’ll grant you your point.

Skip thinking refunds. Start thinking permanent solution. As I just described, few people would be as “duped” as I, having spent hundreds of gold to unlock all of them on several characters. Yet I would applaud and encourage the change to account unlocks for these dyes. I’ll rather bite the bullet then let this continue.

in Black Lion Trading Co

SansSariph.9548

I was thinking about this problem a lot more this morning, and I have some ideas that might be a good compromise between the current system and an “ideal” (player friendly) system, so that ANet can continue to monetize dyes.

• 800? gems for a “Dye Diffuser”, which consumes a dye but unlocks it for your account. You could have it consume a Mystic Forge Stone (50 gems) per use if monetization is a concern. I’d even be happy to pay 50 gems per use just to create a soulbound duplicate of a dye. This way I always have an exclusive dye available, but it’s still per character (and I pay a little bit every time I want it on a new character).
  • Mystic Forge recipe involving a dye, which spits out a “Limitless Vial of <X> Dye”, which is account-bound. Using the Vial on a character unlocks the dye for that character (or it could spit out soulbound copies of the original dye – same end result).

Basically, I think the ideal solution in my world is:

• Keep dyes character specific overall
  • Allow some way (involving gems) to remove this restriction, especially for exclusive dyes
  • The method of unlocking the dye for the account should (obviously) consume the original dye in some fashion

This way you can pick and choose – do I want to buy two Vincent Dyes for two characters, or do I want to spend gems (and potentially a good deal of gold) to guarantee I have Vincent Dye across all my characters forever. It becomes an interesting decision point for every dye, while solving the “exclusive dye” problem.

(edited by SansSariph.9548)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

I was thinking about this problem a lot more this morning, and I have some ideas that might be a good compromise between the current system and an “ideal” (player friendly) system, so that ANet can continue to monetize dyes.

• 800? gems for a “Dye Diffuser”, which consumes a dye but unlocks it for your account. You could have it consume a Mystic Forge Stone (50 gems) per use if monetization is a concern. I’d even be happy to pay 50 gems per use just to create a soulbound duplicate of a dye. This way I always have an exclusive dye available, but it’s still per character (and I pay a little bit every time I want it on a new character).
  • Mystic Forge recipe involving a dye, which spits out a “Limitless Vial of <X> Dye”, which is account-bound. Using the Vial on a character unlocks the dye for that character (or it could spit out soulbound copies of the original dye – same end result).

Basically, I think the ideal solution in my world is:

• Keep dyes character specific overall
  • Allow some way (involving gems) to remove this restriction, especially for exclusive dyes
  • The method of unlocking the dye for the account should (obviously) consume the original dye in some fashion

This way you can pick and choose – do I want to buy two Vincent Dyes for two characters, or do I want to spend gems (and potentially a good deal of gold) to guarantee I have Vincent Dye across all my characters forever. It becomes an interesting decision point for every dye, while solving the “exclusive dye” problem.

That would be cool I guess. They need something more to do with the mystic stones anyways.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Guhracie.3419

Oh yes, I understand the problem of implementing it now (I’d hope that if it was implemented then any unlocked duplicates would be returned as the item to the player). I’m not sure I agree with you that account bound dyes would necessitate fewer drops or that basic dyes were more expensive though. If a dye is account bound then that means each player only needs one of them (rather than five as standard), so any spares they get go straight on the TP.

Yeah, but I feel like they’d have to adjust drop rates and access to dyes overall to be more on par with finding black lion chest keys, for example.

I dunno. I still stand by my thought that gemstore dyes should be account bound, and I like the solution of refunding duplicates- that spreads the dye around a bit more. I’d be slightly more likely to participate in the RNG-fest of these dye collections, that’s for sure.

-Mike O’Brien

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Cosmetics and novelty drive this game financially. I have no problem having these time-limited dyes and promotions.

You and everyone else should have expected stuff like this before the game was launched. Dyes are not pay 2 win. They are cosmetic.

Anet needs to make their money somehow, and if you really, really want that specific shade of dye, you will have to pay for it.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Black Lion Trading Co

KOPPER.1458

Vol: I would love to pay for it. I want to pay for the dye I want. I do not want to pay for an RNG CHANCE at a dye I do not want. Why does it have to contain 19 common dyes that are worthless and not new at all?

I know the response will be “Buy gems and convert to gold” this is a terrible solution. I am willing to pay and have paid IRL cash for items in the gem store, but RNG is out.

This game is not alt friendly, it is not collector friendly. One of the original arguments put forth by arena net for why dyes are not account wide is they wanted your characters to have some individuality. The truth is, it’s a money grab. Its a good money grab. Once they realized how well RNG works in their favor it was only a matter of time before they added that feature to dyes and anything else they can fit it in.

This isn’t a revelation by any means but I’ll continue with each RNG dye pack to voice my opinion on the matter and hope they change it. (I know they probably won’t)

in Black Lion Trading Co

SansSariph.9548

Cosmetics and novelty drive this game financially. I have no problem having these time-limited dyes and promotions.

You and everyone else should have expected stuff like this before the game was launched. Dyes are not pay 2 win. They are cosmetic.

Anet needs to make their money somehow, and if you really, really want that specific shade of dye, you will have to pay for it.

I think you are misunderstanding my problem, here.
I don’t object in principle to time limited dyes or promotions. I object to how they’re implemented today.

If ArenaNet wants me to play alts (which is a good goal to have, as it keeps me playing the game and therefore frequenting the cash shop), then it would behoove them to make the cash shop more alt friendly.

As someone interested in running more than one character, the current incarnation of time limited dyes is not appealing and they aren’t getting my cash. I am attempting to offer advice that would incent me to actually spend money in their shop.

KOPPER hit the nail on the head – making the game more alt friendly or collector friendly is a good way to encourage people to spend money without them feeling like they’re being scammed.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Vol: I would love to pay for it. I want to pay for the dye I want. I do not want to pay for an RNG CHANCE at a dye I do not want. Why does it have to contain 19 common dyes that are worthless and not new at all?

I know the response will be “Buy gems and convert to gold” this is a terrible solution. I am willing to pay and have paid IRL cash for items in the gem store, but RNG is out.

This game is not alt friendly, it is not collector friendly. One of the original arguments put forth by arena net for why dyes are not account wide is they wanted your characters to have some individuality. The truth is, it’s a money grab. Its a good money grab. Once they realized how well RNG works in their favor it was only a matter of time before they added that feature to dyes and anything else they can fit it in.

This isn’t a revelation by any means but I’ll continue with each RNG dye pack to voice my opinion on the matter and hope they change it. (I know they probably won’t)

People have been asking this since release. I too, would like it. But I understand why Anet does it. It’s this ‘gambling’ feature that nets them a lot of money. They’ve been doing this forever, so it leads me to believe that they would make more money overall than selling it outright.

If they were to sell it directly, they would have to price it so that they would make more money, considering these factors:

1.) The $ lost from individuals who were willing to gamble as much as possible to get the dye they wanted
2.) The $ gained from individuals who would not have bought the item otherwise if it were based on gambling

Another thing to factor is this – if Anet were to commit to selling directly, and the financial results are not appealing, it will be very, very difficult to revert back to gambling. The PR disaster that would follow would not be appealing. If Anet is selling their items well enough right now, it’s not worth the risk to find out if they can make more money by selling directly.

A somewhat comparable example is this. Let’s say I’m selling Quaggan plushies for $40 and I profit off of each plushie by 100% (so I pocket all $40).

If I sell 1000 units for $40, I make $40,000. But then I start to get greedy, and I think that I can make even more money through volume alone. I drop my price to $20. Now my units sold will definitely increase. But it can increase well enough to make me better off or it can increase too little to make me worse off.

If I sell 2100 units @ $20, I make more money. But I only sell 1500 units now, I lose money.
Now can I go back to the customer and say, “sorry guys, but the price will go back up to $40”. It’s not exactly a popular decision. Sure, you can do these type of price changes with timed sales, but if we were to talk about Anet’s sales, you can’t really do that.

They can’t say, “Oh, for this month only, we will be selling dyes directly to you rather than gambling!”

They tried it with Wintersday skins, and I’m sure the financials with that were not pleasing since we haven’t had a promotion like that since then.

Anyways, I’m rambling on, it’s a boring day at work, my apologies.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Vol is correct. The Gem Store makes money for the company that it otherwise wouldn’t make. Couple that with the fact that there are players who will purchase dye packs, even if it’s only for the chance of getting what they want.

The only way to force a change is to have everyone completely stop buying RNG items from the Gem Store. Unfortunately that’ll never happen, as there are some of us who actually like to take the chance at getting rare stuff.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Guhracie.3419

Yes, but I think the point is that RNG bags are burning up goodwill from a rather significant portion of the playerbase. I mean, heck, make the directly purchased dyes account bound (IE: You can’t sell them on the TP). That would be fine by me.

It would be okay if they were releasing other similar items for a direct gem purchase cost and leaving a few rares out there, but I don’t like feeling manipulated for my support. They don’t have to game me to get me buying from the gemstore. Put some compelling things up and watch them sell.

-Mike O’Brien

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

Yes, but I think the point is that RNG bags are burning up goodwill from a rather significant portion of the playerbase. I mean, heck, make the directly purchased dyes account bound (IE: You can’t sell them on the TP). That would be fine by me.

It would be okay if they were releasing other similar items for a direct gem purchase cost and leaving a few rares out there, but I don’t like feeling manipulated for my support. They don’t have to game me to get me buying from the gemstore. Put some compelling things up and watch them sell.

People will complain about RNG for years on end, but at the same time, continue to go back and buy more. It’s like screaming that the cheeseburger you’re eating tastes bad, all while you take another bite.

They aren’t gaming you. If you want the new dyes, you make the choice to buy the RNG Dye packs. If you don’t like RNG, you can then buy them off of the TP.

in Black Lion Trading Co

SansSariph.9548

I think the discussion for this thread should be less about RNG overall, and more about how hard (read: impossible) it is to kit out alts with exclusive content. There are dozens of other threads expressing dissatisfaction with the RNG business model – I’m hoping we can discuss ways that ArenaNet can make exclusive content more alt/collector friendly while still profiting from it.

Call it a pipe dream if you must

Edit: To be crystal, absolutely, clear – I do not mind playing the RNG lottery game nearly as much if it means my alts can also benefit.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Guhracie.3419

People will complain about RNG for years on end, but at the same time, continue to go back and buy more. It’s like screaming that the cheeseburger you’re eating tastes bad, all while you take another bite.

They aren’t gaming you. If you want the new dyes, you make the choice to buy the RNG Dye packs. If you don’t like RNG, you can then buy them off of the TP.

Except I’m NOT buying it, so…. your point doesn’t really apply to me. I bought one of their RNG packs (Flame and Frost) because I misread the blurb and thought I was getting one of the new colors randomly. (Heck, even THAT would be better than what they’re doing now. Or only include rare dyes in the “non-set” dyes.)

-Mike O’Brien

in Black Lion Trading Co

KOPPER.1458

well put post Vol.

It is the way it is. If you don’t like it then don’t bye it. Crappy way to think about it, but it is what it is. With new MMOs coming out next year, all with cash shops selling cosmetics etc, maybe this will make things more competitive though I doubt it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

Except I’m NOT buying it, so…. your point doesn’t really apply to me. I bought one of their RNG packs (Flame and Frost) because I misread the blurb and thought I was getting one of the new colors randomly. (Heck, even THAT would be better than what they’re doing now. Or only include rare dyes in the “non-set” dyes.)

It’s not just about you, as the whole economic system isn’t based on the sales of one person. You may not be buying, but a lot of others are. And due to the success of such an item, a business would continue to put these out.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Guhracie.3419

And I am questioning the value of that success when it is at the cost of so much goodwill, word of mouth, and general interest in the game from people like me. I realize I do not dictate the economy, I’m just wondering if they could do something better.

-Mike O’Brien

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

And I am questioning the value of that success when it is at the cost of so much goodwill, word of mouth, and general interest in the game from people like me. I realize I do not dictate the economy, I’m just wondering if they could do something better.

There’s a difference between the goodwill of one player who doesn’t agree with a company’s policies, and the amount of sales of a product put out by said company.

Long story short, if it sells, why change? And just remember, you aren’t being forced to buy these Gem Store items. Anet offers these items as optional, luxury purchases. Even then, players can still buy these items without spending any real life money.

in Black Lion Trading Co

SansSariph.9548

There’s a difference between the goodwill of one player who doesn’t agree with a company’s policies, and the amount of sales of a product put out by said company.

Long story short, if it sells, why change? And just remember, you aren’t being forced to buy these Gem Store items. Anet offers these items as optional, luxury purchases. Even then, players can still buy these items without spending any real life money.

We have a means for providing feedback (this forum) and we are voicing feedback and will continue to do so.

We are willing to buy gem store items and are expressing displeasure with the current means available to do so. If ArenaNet doesn’t care about this feedback, that’s fine – we might end up quitting. They might not care about that either, and that’s also fine.

I think it’s silly to discount the feedback though, and I personally will continue to provide it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Guhracie.3419

This is a frustrating discussion because I feel like you’re intentionally misunderstanding my reasoning. I understand that they’re making a profit on these things, but I also know that they can’t possibly calculate how much they’re losing by burning up goodwill. Yes, I am one customer, but I am not the only one who feels this way. I’m not arguing that what they’re doing isn’t effective or anything, I’m saying that I feel like they could be doing it better, and that’s just my opinion.

-Mike O’Brien

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

Feedback is important for all companies. But what I’m getting at is that another measure they look at is volume of sales. X number of people complain about how something is, but XX number of players are making purchases. In a hypothetical situation, if 5 people complain they don’t like how things are, but 500 people buy the product, the bottom line is the current success (or failure) of said item.

in Black Lion Trading Co

SansSariph.9548

Feedback is important for all companies. But what I’m getting at is that another measure they look at is volume of sales. X number of people complain about how something is, but XX number of players are making purchases. In a hypothetical situation, if 5 people complain they don’t like how things are, but 500 people buy the product, the bottom line is the current success (or failure) of said item.

I think we might all be saying the same thing here in different ways.

As players of the game, we don’t have insight into their internal marketing efforts or charts or analysis they perform to determine the most profitable course of action.

It may very well be that going the casino, per-character, timed exclusive route is the financially optimal plan for them to execute based on the data they have.

That being said, we need to let them know when the plan they are executing is driving away sales on an individual level. Sure, in the big picture, maybe people like us not spending money doesn’t matter, because they are making more money from players who like to gamble.

Still, as a player, my needs aren’t being met, and I think that is useful data for them to have – maybe this way we can reach a solution that satisfies all parties.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

I love dyes but they aren’t worth 30g+

Why would you say that? Looking at the TP it seems some of them are indeed worth 30 gold or more. Much more in some cases.

I mean, what IS “worth 30g+” in your eyes?

P.S. I think character-bound dyes are just fine, I dont need to unlock ALL of them on every character. Whenever I find a valuable dye I consider my characters and give it to the one I find most suitable, or if it suits none of them I sell it.

(edited by Mastruq.2463)