Extreme Precursor Inflation

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Why players are buying them faster than supply now? Well the whole skin thing is the primary reason. Once you have a precursor skin, all your character’s have access to it. A skin isn’t as good as a real precursor but people buy fake Rolex watches and Gucci bags to impress those around them in real life. The skin is a status symbol.

And ever scroll through the sell price list for an item? You’ll see that most times the prices increase more rapidly the further down the list you go. Now imagine players buying faster than sellers can supply on the TP and you can understand how the price can surge quickly while supply drops.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Why are they going up so much?

Because of demand. People insist on throwing around the term “inflation” and use it like that’s what’s happening. It’s not inflation if there’s a demand that drives up prices because supply is not keeping up.

In short, everyone else needs to stop throwing around the word inflation until they eventually get it right.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Why are they going up so much?

Because of demand. People insist on throwing around the term “inflation” and use it like that’s what’s happening. It’s not inflation if there’s a demand that drives up prices because supply is not keeping up.

In short, everyone else needs to stop throwing around the word inflation until they eventually get it right.

doesnt really matter if inflation is caused by demand or supply or money, as long as it happens, its inflation.
It doesnt really apply to specific products, because it is a general term for prices overall in an economy, but since they qualified it with the word “precursor” I think you can get the meaning even if its not the correct semantics.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

doesnt really matter if inflation is caused by demand or supply or money, as long as it happens, its inflation.
It doesnt really apply to specific products, because it is a general term for prices overall in an economy, but since they qualified it with the word “precursor” I think you can get the meaning even if its not the correct semantics.

Attachments:

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Everything kind of went up though. I’m not sure about gold to gem exchange, i think that went down a bit.

So I suppose it is the place where some economist talking about consumer confident and people spending habit, and why people are spending money instead of hoarding before.

in Black Lion Trading Co

phys.7689

“The term “inflation” originally referred to increases in the amount of money in circulation, and some economists still use the word in this way. However, most economists today use the term “inflation” to refer to a rise in the price level."

since he is talking about a rise in price level of precursors, i think its apt.

in Black Lion Trading Co

laokoko.7403

“The term “inflation” originally referred to increases in the amount of money in circulation, and some economists still use the word in this way. However, most economists today use the term “inflation” to refer to a rise in the price level."

ya but are you talking “only about” precursor or “everything”.

If I live in a country and gold price go up, I dont’ say inflation, I say the price of “that” item went up.

I think legendary make up a huge chunk of all the items on GW2 world. But not necessary everything.

in Black Lion Trading Co

phys.7689

ya but are you talking “only about” precursor or “everything”.

If I live in a country and gold price go up, I dont’ say inflation, I say the price of “that” item went up.

I think legendary make up a huge chunk of all the items on GW2 world. But not necessary everything.

yeah, but he didnt say inflation, he said precursor inflation. Like i said, i think you can understand what he is getting at, even though inflation is a general term.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: thaooo.5320

thaooo.5320

It is easy to manipulate low supply markets and completely break them like this, when you can buy all the stock at no effort, just 2 simple clicks.

This is the folly of the current implementation of Trading Posts in every new generation MMO.

The old system of standing around spamming “Selling X” and “Buying X” meant market manipulation was close to impossible, since you can’t rip the supply out of the ground at your leisure.

But obviously that way of trading has it’s drawbacks too. Spamming, standing around instead of playing, 90% of items are worth more selling to the merchant so you can keep playing to generate more wealth.

A middle ground needs to be found, and that’s probably the next big step an MMO can take.

A market that has the ease and freedom of selling your wares to the masses with a few clicks, instead of it being a painful struggle, whilst limiting the impact the gold hoarders and full time traders have on manipulating prices. The hoarders and full time traders will still be able to play the market, and make huge profits and hoard nice big pointless numbers, but they won’t be able to artificially bloat prices (ruining the game for the other 99% of players) with those profits/gold hoards.

Someone will work out how to achieve this eventually.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in all MMOs.
Stop failing at PvE, and fix WvW/SPvP. Thank you.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

I bought Dawn for 730g. I can’t speak for anyone else, but the reason I did it now (well 2 weeks ago. Ish.) is primarily because they are now account bound. Before it was just an insane resource dump into a pretty shiny thing for just one character, now it’s still crazy expensive but at least I can shuffle it around. Other reasons were that there is just nothing better to do in the game at the moment and I had pretty much everything else I needed for Sunrise. I’d imagine that the other people buying them are thinking along the same lines

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Everything is rising in price.

The supply of new silver is just outpacing the supply of new sinks for silver and the new supply of other items. The silver/gold prices for everything are just way up.

This is because people are doing pvp now (primarily rewards silver), the champion trains moved to edge of the mist (where bags + event completion reward mostly silver), armor repair costs were removed, nerfed bags and fewer crafting materials leads to less silver sunk into crafting, fewer people are doing world bosses for the guaranteed rare…

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Honestly, when I go shopping and I notice it cost a hundred dollar more, I don’t care how much the butter went up or if there is an inflation going on in the country.

I know, I’m such a simpleton. But I will use my new knowledge to talk to the cashier about the high inflatuation.

Contraire to the shopping I do have the option to not care (to various degrees), I’m just not sure if that is a good thing.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Aidan Savage.2078

Everything is rising in price.

The supply of new silver is just outpacing the supply of new sinks for silver and the new supply of other items. The silver/gold prices for everything are just way up.

This is because people are doing pvp now (primarily rewards silver), the champion trains moved to edge of the mist (where bags + event completion reward mostly silver), armor repair costs were removed, nerfed bags and fewer crafting materials leads to less silver sunk into crafting, fewer people are doing world bosses for the guaranteed rare…

1) I’m still not doing pvp.
2) I dont do champ trains as often, and will run events that spawn several champs at once.
3) I was never concerned about armor costs in the first place.
4) Only the raw silver dropped from bags was nerged. YOU STILL GET THE SAME EQUIPMENT AND MATERIALS.
5) World bosses are still done by everyone.

Oh, and there’s still no inflation. Prices of things are going up because of increased demand, mostly due to legendaries. When that demand ends, prices will shift back down without a problem.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

No new content also is guilty of precursor inflation. I mean it’s been 3 weeks now, and what do people do that still play? pve, pvp, wvw like usual, but no special content like ‘ok i’m gonna put special time and effort in that cause it’s timed’. With scarlet we had the belongings hunts, with halloween there’s the special event stuff to do etc. That is all empty now. Combine that void with the announcement of not only legendaries becoming account bound, but the skins can be copied as many times as you want (if you have charges), and I think people just made it their quest.

I’ve been ‘studying’ the market of precursors, and basically it’s slowly rising. People are hestitating to buy, but some still do it because of the boredom. Last days, The Legend, Dawn, Zap, and dusk, each on their own turn, where ‘hijacked’. This means 7 of (10 to 15) where bought up in a single hour. That never happens, not even by mere coincidance. Also the buy price in the hours after that barely went up. Wich means this was a player attempt. Now because of stealing the last precursor supply, the price went up, regardless of demand/supply. And people are now more stressed about their legendary cause they are afraid prices might go up even more, so some of them rushed it, while they usually wouldnt. Wich means supply can’t recover and price neither. Dawn is still only 800g buy, but sell 1050g. Big difference there. it’s becaues of the manipulation and the fear of people for price spike. Otherwise it would have gone below 1000g already.

The huge question is how big is the demand now really? Are there currently 100 or 500 people wanting The Legend? cause if it’s the last, it would take 50 days at least to fill the demand (average a day i see about 10 new listings per precursor, for me personally, i see it as the ‘hidden precursor drop cap’, 10 is the cap per day, averaged out. It’s not scientific, but pretty close to the truth), will take 50 days to recover. And even then it will take time to drop down.

What we need is new content (so people focus on that rather then being bored and only seeing legendary as a way out) + the precursor demand being steady enough to push prices down again.

The weird thing is apart from the legendaries that are 4+ profession compatible (like staff, sword, gs), most legendaries stayed stable from the week before patch to 2-3 weeks after patch). If demand was going up by the feature patch alone, it would have jumped then already. But recently even legendaries like kudzu, made a 100-200g jump. It’s kinda weird. For the top precursors, i know for certain it was manipulated somehow (probably a failure to make money, but a player having fun with it cause he has enough money to do it). Especially sunrise it was clear. One day 21 supply, 760g sell price, another day 6 listed, 1100g sell price. And the buy orders didn’t rise. If it’s demand going up and precursor inflation both buy and sell price go up equally. This wasn’t the case here. It’s also proven by the massive amounts of undercuts on sunrise. One moment 1111g, next time 1099 next 1069g, and then 8 undercuts by a few silver, then even more undercuts. This wouldnt happen, if the price wasn’t manipulated to be this high.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

(edited by Phoebe Ascension.8437)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Inflation has always meant a general rise in the price level. Historically, the most eye-catching inflation has accompanied large scale debasement of a currency – back when western currencies were indexed to gold prices you’d have explicit debasements, and then you had Weimar-hyperinflation from the presses going nuts. That’s what got people thinking about inflation, big shocks from large scale debasement, so it’s not surprising that inflation and debasement are confused in popular discourse.

There are some people who call themselves economists that use inflation to refer to changes in the money supply; these people are hacks and should be ignored, if not mocked openly.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

The huge question is how big is the demand now really? Are there currently 100 or 500 people wanting The Legend? cause if it’s the last, it would take 50 days at least to fill the demand (average a day i see about 10 new listings per precursor, for me personally, i see it as the ‘hidden precursor drop cap’, 10 is the cap per day, averaged out. It’s not scientific, but pretty close to the truth), will take 50 days to recover. And even then it will take time to drop down.

A while back JS released data on how much dusks and legends were sold within a 60 hour period, shortly after all dusks except 1 were bought out.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/bltc/Dusk-sold-out-1-Left/first#post2713593

It was 81 dusks and 37 legends.

Unfortunately, the tools players have arent sufficient to determine the velocity of items, which usually leads to underestimation of it.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Everything kind of went up though.

Ecto dropped significantly on patch day. A spot check of black lion weapon skins and mid tier materials shows they haven’t moved much at all. Dyes crashed, for reasons I consider obvious. It’s certain that ‘everything’ didn’t go up, and not even ‘most things’.

What has gone up noticeably is T5 fine materials – and the price of a high demand precursor is tied intimately to the price of T5 fine materials. T6 fine materials and cores / lodestones have also creeped up in price a bit. Looking at those materials, on a first pass, it appears that the supply of those materials is much lower than it used to be.

As all of those materials were major outputs of champ train boxes, I would propose that the rise in fine and rare material prices we are seeing is the result of a supply shock from substantially less champion farming.

Yes, I know we’re all conditioned to look on the monetary side of things, but in this case the monetary side looks really stable in the face of substantial upheaval on the supply side.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

A while back JS released data on how much dusks and legends were sold within a 60 hour period, shortly after all dusks except 1 were bought out.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/bltc/Dusk-sold-out-1-Left/first#post2713593

It was 81 dusks and 37 legends.

Unfortunately, the tools players have arent sufficient to determine the velocity of items, which usually leads to underestimation of it.

Look man, if you search every 10 min ‘The Legend’ in TP you have a pretty good idea. One time i’ve been refreshing non stop spamming for 2 hours in weekend primetime. Guess what? not a single listing/sale. That 81 is grossly overestimated or a massive spike that only happened once. Ofc i sleep, so maybe when i sleep. Still EVERY time i come online, and check the tp price it’s almost always same listings. And the buy listings neither suggest a lot of movement. For instance The legend has had 7 buy orders above 800g for 2 weeks. They changed the numbers but not the amount. I hardly believe any of it sold, they just removed the buy order and relisted it higher to match the higher sell price. but everything between 800g and the higher listings is empty now, wich wasn’t the case before. The magical number is 7. Not once did it make 8 or 6. It’s always 7, early mornings, or late evenings. If the velocity was this high, it would not be this fixed.

Also remember mystic forge (sort off) is nerfed. Ppl used to buy cheap exotics, no longer possible (all went up in price). Secondly, you can get lower return now by getting lvl 76-79 items in return. Reading that someone made 7 precursors just by MF, it could indicate, that by nerfing it’s return income, a lot of players would quit, and create the current situation.

If you refresh on an item lik say ‘silk’, and click refresh a few times, you will instantly see movement in the listings. So the system works like it should, refreshing, properly shows changes. This means there is no hidden or delayed showing of the market, and thus searching every now and then a day precursors, should give a good idea.

For instance if someone list at 999,99,46g it immediately is easy to remember. Cause almost everyone ends at 00 or 99. If that is the lowest listing and it’s tomorrow still there, for me it kinda proofs, nothing has been sold over that listings tresshold. Only between the buy price and the sell price.

So believe all you want with the 81 precursors a day thingy, but that is only a lucky spike (maybe karka queen drops a year back?) or maybe 1h sword, wich is still interetsing to MF from what i hear and superior popular (5x used on profession, most alt friendly legendary). But The Legend (and Dawn to a lesser extend), no way. I watched their market to closely, to believe in 60+ a day velocity.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

The 81 was about 3 months ago, right after all dusks got bought out.

You simply cant count daily sales correctly as a player. Even if you check every ten minutes and buy orders and sell listings are the same, people could still have listed 5, undercutting 100g and they all got sold witohut your knowledge, same goes for buy orders.

People simply underestimate the magnitude of the market. From most items, there probably arent even 10% that exist in game listed on the tp. The mayority is in peoples inventories, banks and collectible tabs. Yet people think, the stuff listed on the tp reflects actual in game supply. The same goes for volume traded. Only because an item has 10k supply and demand for several days, there could still 20k be traded every day.
Same goes for precursors. There are hundreds, if not thousands of each precursor unbound in peoples bags, who wait to sell it or people who arent sure, if they should sell it or use it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

We have no way of seeing the volume of items being sold daily. Sure you can make educated guesses but simply because the number being sold dropped by 5 between displayed samples on GW2Spidy or GW2TP.com could mean only 5 were sold or 100 were added and 105 were sold or 1000 were added and 1005 were sold.

If they only displayed the number traded over the last 24 hours, it would be valuable information to anyone who uses the TP.

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

laokoko.7403

Inflation has always meant a general rise in the price level. Historically, the most eye-catching inflation has accompanied large scale debasement of a currency – back when western currencies were indexed to gold prices you’d have explicit debasements, and then you had Weimar-hyperinflation from the presses going nuts. That’s what got people thinking about inflation, big shocks from large scale debasement, so it’s not surprising that inflation and debasement are confused in popular discourse.

There are some people who call themselves economists that use inflation to refer to changes in the money supply; these people are hacks and should be ignored, if not mocked openly.

ya i think everything related to legendary went up. which is quite a bunch of stuff. tier 5 is also related since people just keep dumping them into mystic forge for precursor.

I kind of said in another post a while ago, we probably seeing the gem price and maybe ecto going down. But the nerf on champ bag wont’ stop the tier 6 materials.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

I posted a similar inflation topic weeks ago after a steady 30% increase in precursor prices. The responses from some in the community were hardly amusing. You’ll get more satisfaction and meaningful conversation talking with your children. I commend you attempt though.

My current hypothesis is fewer people playing so less supply. You don’t need much of a demand as the volumes are so low… just a guess.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

Prices rapidly rising after a major paradigm shift isn’t inflation. Neither is when an item written off as junk (silk scrap) suddenly acquires a purpose. That’s a spike. Measuring in any term shorter than a year isn’t a fair way to measure inflation.

Apr 15th 2013 to Apr 15th 2014, Dawn went from 568g to 758g or 33% I’m okay with calling that inflation. Calling the change in price from May 3rd to May 5th, from 781g to 1050g, inflation I’m not okay with. That’s a spike, plain and simple.

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

phys.7689

Prices rapidly rising after a major paradigm shift isn’t inflation. Neither is when an item written off as junk (silk scrap) suddenly acquires a purpose. That’s a spike. Measuring in any term shorter than a year isn’t a fair way to measure inflation.

Apr 15th 2013 to Apr 15th 2014, Dawn went from 568g to 758g or 33% I’m okay with calling that inflation. Calling the change in price from May 3rd to May 5th, from 781g to 1050g, inflation I’m not okay with. That’s a spike, plain and simple.

spike implies its going to go down. Officially inflation doesnt really care what the cause is, whether its an increase in demand, or lowering of the supply. The key here is whether its sustained.
If it maintains this price or grows, that not really a spike, if it falls just as quickly its a spike.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: VitaminK.2517

VitaminK.2517

spike implies its going to go down. Officially inflation doesnt really care what the cause is, whether its an increase in demand, or lowering of the supply. The key here is whether its sustained.
If it maintains this price or grows, that not really a spike, if it falls just as quickly its a spike.

Indeed, as long as Anet didn’t adjust the droprate to guarantee the new needed supply prices will rise because of the paradigm shift with its revamped benefit from legendaries as Behellagh said. And i don’t think that it reached the peak.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

This inflation is good! In fact, I’d argue that further hyper inflation of precursor prices is to the benefit of us all.

Why? Because then the imbalance in the economy and the ridiculous manner in which precursors are obtained will finally force Anet into action.

Inflate them further please, and put them far, far out of reach of anyone who doesn’t play the TP.

It actually has the opposite effect. It encourages more and more gold sellers, which is good for the game. Currently only a-net have the racket on selling gems. Desired items become hyper inflated>players get sad face>gold sellers get happy face>a-net gets angry face>Players now have 2 sources to purchase would be gems from>gems/gold sellers now have competition. Considering I now get pinged 7 times a night with gold sellers, it seems the market shift has happened. Obviously it is against the rules to buy gold from 3rd parties, but it was also against rules to manipulate match results like the skyhammer farmers did, and they all walked away from it just fine. Again, I wouldn’t buy gold, or encourage it..just stating the actual truth of the matter. The game is currently flooded with gold sellers simply because players just can’t earn enough with casual play for their vertical progression.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

More people are hoarding more money.

The increase in luxury goods prices is a reflection of this. When something is abundant (in this case gold), it’s value naturally decreases. This is the economics of scarcity.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

By how the market is setup along with human nature it will not fall off quickly. Spike is probably the wrong term, maybe bubble is more appropriate here.

New supply isn’t going to be priced back down to original levels, owners will simply undercut the existing high. So it will take time. More likely that the 33% annual inflation rate will simply catch up to it’s slowly decaying price.

Because of the scarcity, bids are rising in hopes of being attractive enough to draw a seller. The new high bids will limit how low the price will drop. Yes, the ultra rich who are selling Dawns can manipulate this number and to keep the sell price elevated.

The “got to act now before it goes up even more” will drive some players to gather enough gold to buy one now.

One dawn looks to have sold for 900g a few hours ago. Current low sale price is 950g.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ramiel.4931

Ramiel.4931

Up until ANet intervenes. And they most likely will in this case. It’s bad for their image when new players start playing and see that they have to get a gorrillion gold in order to get a precursor.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Aidan Savage.2078

Up until ANet intervenes. And they most likely will in this case. It’s bad for their image when new players start playing and see that they have to get a gorrillion gold in order to get a precursor.

If new players are that adamant about getting a legendary, their priorities are clearly FUBARed so badly even a blind man could tell. It’s just fine for Anet’s image when people see that legendaries, for the benefit of their skin and stats, you will have to pay the price. It’s bad enough when I see someone in a fractal party with multiple legendaries, and they’re the first ones to die, first ones to complain, and ultimately leave the party. I’m under the immediate assumption that this player got hold of mommy and daddy’s credit card and bought a massive amount of gems and them sank them into conversion to buy the legendaries. I dont want to see some scrub player running around with a top-tier eye-candy item simply because it was handed out.

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

If new players are that adamant about getting a legendary, their priorities are clearly FUBARed so badly even a blind man could tell. It’s just fine for Anet’s image when people see that legendaries, for the benefit of their skin and stats, you will have to pay the price. It’s bad enough when I see someone in a fractal party with multiple legendaries, and they’re the first ones to die, first ones to complain, and ultimately leave the party. I’m under the immediate assumption that this player got hold of mommy and daddy’s credit card and bought a massive amount of gems and them sank them into conversion to buy the legendaries. I dont want to see some scrub player running around with a top-tier eye-candy item simply because it was handed out.

Disagree aidan. While new players should not expect to get a legendary anytime soon, they will glance at end game items. Seeing the pinnacle so far out of grasp wont generate any good feelings. They can’t even get an RNG lottery chance for 80 lvls.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Aidan Savage.2078

Legendaries are not endgame. Exotic with a progessive upgrade to Ascended is endgame. Obtaining Fractal PR 50 is endgame. Legendaries? That’s the “I’m so kittening bored now that I have everything I have to waste my money on SOMETHING” content.

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

Legendaries are not endgame. Exotic with a progessive upgrade to Ascended is endgame. Obtaining Fractal PR 50 is endgame. Legendaries? That’s the “I’m so kittening bored now that I have everything I have to waste my money on SOMETHING” content.

Legendaries are very much endgame. Maybe you don’t play that endgame, but it’s still there.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Legendaries are very much endgame. Maybe you don’t play that endgame, but it’s still there.

My Legendary hunt began 1 hour before official launch. Researched the mats needed, figured out which one to aim for, etc. Legendaries are not end game. They are the ultimate carrot that can begin a game.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I posted a similar inflation topic weeks ago after a steady 30% increase in precursor prices. …

My current hypothesis is fewer people playing so less supply. You don’t need much of a demand as the volumes are so low… just a guess.

There’s no evidence to support fewer people playing. The rise in prices of precursors is easily explained by increased demand: the patch allows you to acquire one legendary and use it on every character, including dual wielding on the same character. This makes legendaries much more attractive and people are rushing to acquire them.

The significant exception is Eternity, which allows people to unlock two legendaries and recoup some of their investment. The supply of Eternity went up just as the supply of The Legend (and other precursors) went down. Eternity is selling for an extremely low price compared to the last few months, while precursors are selling at record high prices.

As it always has done, the market will calm down after the rush is over and prices will stabilize closer to their previous equilibrium.

It’s typical after a patch for prices to go crazy, e.g. look at what happened to T2-6 leather prices when legendary armor was introduced…and look at the prices today: higher than before for some tiers, but vendor price for others.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

Why is this thread titled ‘inflation’? Does the OP even know what this term means? Prices are rising due to the nature of supply vs. demand. Inflation has absolutely NOTHING to due with supply/demand.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Why is this thread titled ‘inflation’? Does the OP even know what this term means? Prices are rising due to the nature of supply vs. demand. Inflation has absolutely NOTHING to due with supply/demand.

“Inflation” used in the thread title is fine. There are multiple definitions for "inflation, several of which fit well into the title and it’s composition.

Serenity now~Insanity later

in Black Lion Trading Co

Aidan Savage.2078

Inflation of prices do not equate economic inflation, which is what the thread’s intention was.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Odd when I read it, it reads that they are saying that gold earnings are in contrast to precursors “inflation”. That would be contrary to “general economic inflation”. Also odd that the OP didn’t post any further to elaborate on his or her intention. So I find your branding of the thread’s intention to what you want it to be nothing more than that.

Serenity now~Insanity later

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

You really need to stop seeing everything outside of what you do as wrong…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

Flying mounts are obviously endgame and their price is inflated as much as rich players are manipulating the markets.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Apocalypse.5239

Apocalypse.5239

Last i look there was 6 Dusk up on the TP for 1150g and up. so ya they need to fix the drop rate on some of the Precursor’s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwQdM-J1TM4
Only if you want to watch.
lvl 80 Charr Warrior part of Twin.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

Last i look there was 6 Dusk up on the TP for 1150g and up. so ya they need to fix the drop rate on some of the Precursor’s.

Just fix your expectations…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kernave.5732

Kernave.5732

Well this is an easy thing to fix and I’m sure anet has set themselves a nice list of easy improvements to the game for their next feature patch fixing all issues in one patch would not show progression of the game. So next feature patch the selling point will be precursors. Craft, scavenger hunt ect a precursor. I’m sure they’ll include the ability to save traits too. With some minor tweaks like remove the need for repair.

And some stealth nerfs too I’m sure

in Black Lion Trading Co

Aidan Savage.2078

You really need to stop seeing everything outside of what you do as wrong…

Did I say getting a Legendary was wrong? Did I say wanting to get a Legendary was wrong? Did I say anything was wrong? No, I havent. Another way to put what I said is that Ascended gear, being top Tier equipment, is an endgame goalpost. Legendary weapons, being as involved as they are, are beyond being an endgame goalpost.

Take Twilight for example:
~500 Globs of Ectoplasm: 194g
250 Powerful Venom Sacs: 99g
250 Powerful Blood: 125g
250 elaborate totem: 98g
250 crystalline dust: 50g
250 vicious fangs: 102g
250 vicious claws: 115g
250 armored scales: 125g
250 ancient bones: 105g

And that’s just for the Gift of Fortune, at roughly 1k gold. For a full set of Ascended gear, You can spend as little as 1/2 or 1/4th of that amount if you buy most of the materials.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TheJokester.4672

TheJokester.4672

1. Legendaries are not Legendary anymore get one and the skin is unlocked for the account
  2. Legendaries are not bound when made they can be bought
  3. Legendaries are RNG not a legendary challenge you have to complete or whatever to obtain like slaying a dragon on your own and loot it’s hoard(not an elder dragon but like one of their lieutenants.

Thank you have a good day.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The number of precursors listed for sale don’t tell us much about the drop rates. About half the people I know will either sell an un-used precursor for the highest buy offer or for the midpoint between that and lowest sell offer — we’ll never see either of those listed on the TP. A low supply on the TP just means that a lot of buyers aren’t offering enough to meet the expectation of some sellers.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

It is easy to manipulate low supply markets and completely break them like this, when you can buy all the stock at no effort, just 2 simple clicks.

This is the folly of the current implementation of Trading Posts in every new generation MMO.

The old system of standing around spamming “Selling X” and “Buying X” meant market manipulation was close to impossible, since you can’t rip the supply out of the ground at your leisure.

But obviously that way of trading has it’s drawbacks too. Spamming, standing around instead of playing, 90% of items are worth more selling to the merchant so you can keep playing to generate more wealth.

A middle ground needs to be found, and that’s probably the next big step an MMO can take.

A market that has the ease and freedom of selling your wares to the masses with a few clicks, instead of it being a painful struggle, whilst limiting the impact the gold hoarders and full time traders have on manipulating prices. The hoarders and full time traders will still be able to play the market, and make huge profits and hoard nice big pointless numbers, but they won’t be able to artificially bloat prices (ruining the game for the other 99% of players) with those profits/gold hoards.

Someone will work out how to achieve this eventually.

I remember DDO used/uses a system very similar to eBay, where items are put up for auction to the highest bidder for “x” number of days, but can alternatively be placed on the Auction House with a Buy It Now price. It’s not the greatest system in the world, but it was very difficult to abuse the Auction House in that game just to make in-game currency without playing the rest of the game.

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

There’s nothing to spend gold on other than luxuries.

People are therefore hoarding gold. It’s value therefore goes down and prices of said luxuries increase.

I would like to see more people using Gold-to-Gems. The gem store is filled with luxury goods (finishers and the like) – the artificial, ever increasingly expensive Gem barrier seems to be putting people off the idea, though.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

The “gem barrier” gets more expensive as long as more people convert gold to gems than the other way around. The fact that it is getting more expensive means that players continue to see converting gold to gems as a good choice. If the price of gems goes down it means less people are converting gold to gems than are converting gems to gold.