Finally a worthy purchase in the Gem Store

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

An orichalcum pickaxe that doesn’t break. No RNG, no gambling involved.

GG, ArenaNet, you have my money.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wildblood.2097

Wildblood.2097

Would agree almost, why oh why is it soulbound? 800 gems per char if you want to have set :/

TEO -Whiteside Ridge
Ren Wilblood – Necromancer

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Grayson.2375

Grayson.2375

roughly about 20-22g, lets take 21g, that abt 525 ori pick

So, u buy 525 picks (52,500 usage) on a single char…

Nt sure how a RNG or gambling is apply on a pickaxe.

(edited by Grayson.2375)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

6 months to a year from now, there’ll most likely be “orichalcum+1” level nodes, so unless you’re too lazy to restock on picks, it’s not really worth it.

As a bonus however, like all gathering tools, you can exploit the pick to also be an infinite use axe and sickle.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Preyar.6783

Preyar.6783

Try looking at the permanent hairstyle contract. Currently it has a 405g OFFER
The 1 use version costs roughly 5g in conversion. So you need to have used the permanent one 81 times before it’s worth it. People just want these things because they are UNLIMITED!

Wondrous Achiever \o/

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Grayson.2375

Grayson.2375

The 1 use version costs roughly 5g in conversion. So you need to have used the permanent one 81 times before it’s worth it. People just want these things because they are UNLIMITED!

u compare hair to picks? I dun even know how r they related in any ways.

U know the Hair thing is Account bounded? u can use it on all 8 chars to have diff VISIBLE looks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

U know the Hair thing is Account bounded? u can use it on all 8 chars to have diff VISIBLE looks.

The analogy is sound.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Preyar.6783

Preyar.6783

Ah, didn’t think about the permanent one being account bound. My bad. Anyways, people are still gonna buy the picks because they are unlimited.

Wondrous Achiever \o/

(edited by Preyar.6783)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Milennin.4825

6 months to a year from now, there’ll most likely be “orichalcum+1” level nodes, so unless you’re too lazy to restock on picks, it’s not really worth it.

As a bonus however, like all gathering tools, you can exploit the pick to also be an infinite use axe and sickle.

Yeah, probably. It’s just a nice convenience thing to have, though.

How does that exploit work to make it work like an axe and sickle?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mairenaianelle.3849

Mairenaianelle.3849

I don’t get the price for the pick. Not interested in it just for that. Half the price…maybe. Just maybe. But that’s still stretching it. I don’t make a lot of gold as it is ( usually have around 5g on me at a time ) so converting isn’t an option either. Oh well, it ‘is’ a convenience thing so most likely many are still going to get it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Huechi.2658

Huechi.2658

When you use the pick, lava erupts from the node, pretty cool.

I’m quite happy with the convenience of not having to continually check how many picks I have left, and frees up bag space for other stuff. I’d always skip lower level nodes as I didn’t want to ‘waste’ an orichalcum pick use, but now I feel free to use it on whatever.

Attachments:

(edited by Huechi.2658)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mairenaianelle.3849

Mairenaianelle.3849

Haha. :P

Not something for me, apparently. I’m an alt hopper so there’s no way I’d get something like that and only be able to get for one character. x_x

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

Not something for me, apparently. I’m an alt hopper so there’s no way I’d get something like that and only be able to get for one character. x_x

Even if it was account bound the inconvenience of having to continually swap it between 8 characters is enough of a turn off for me.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rengaru.4730

Rengaru.4730

Actually…

• Extremely expensive (we are talking about >50k uses of an Orichalcum Pick here)
  • Not usable on alts
  • No guarantee it wont become useless one day (higher material Tier)

I think I’ll pass on this one.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Anet is genius. I hope they look at the sales data and show that people are willing to pay lots for guaranteed items

Next up:
-perma logging axe
-perma mf booster (5000 gems)
-perma BL salvage kit (5000 gems)

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Would agree almost, why oh why is it soulbound? 800 gems per char if you want to have set :/

why in the world would they want it to be account bound? They’d make more money this way.

Also, you’re gonna go through all the trouble to put it in the bank and switch chars? Unless you’re a mining bot it’s not worth the hassle.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Anet is genius. I hope they look at the sales data and show that people are willing to pay lots for guaranteed items

Next up:
-perma logging axe

Quite unlikely that they would put permanent versions of gem-store only items in the gem-store.

The BLC is another matter though (which can be seen with the permanent bank, merchant and BLT hidden in there)

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Easlay.3297

Easlay.3297

u need to consume 55’000 uses before u are even..that’s like 550 orich mining pick..
Atm not worthy at all for me :/

[OSC] Easlay Koorst – Thief
Sfr

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Love these things. Love ’em.

…and were you using Orichalcum picks on copper and silver, or were you carrying around level appropriate picks for while dinking around waiting for the Frozen Maw to start? There are are many ways these add to your convienience factor that are going to add up over time.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Totally worth the 10 bucks. Forget the gold to gem conversion.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zumy.6318

Zumy.6318

I’d pay. And it would be worth it.

Thief | Zumy [Buka]
Legendary counter: Twilight, Bolt, Incinerator, Incinerator Nr. 2, Meteorlogicus, The Dreamer

in Black Lion Trading Co

munkiman.3068

I’d pay. And it would be worth it.

4000 would make more sense only since that’s the max buy and i too would totally pay for that, but imagine what the ecto market would do at current salvage rates. I already make 4-5 g burning through 2 kits, if i could do that all the time, i’d flush the market of cheap rares alone. Crafting might actually be profitable!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Milennin.4825

Love these things. Love ’em.

…and were you using Orichalcum picks on copper and silver, or were you carrying around level appropriate picks for while dinking around waiting for the Frozen Maw to start? There are are many ways these add to your convienience factor that are going to add up over time.

Pretty much this. I don’t hang out in level 80 zones all the time. I like to visit low and mid level zones as well. Not having to buy multiple sets of pickaxes is pure convenience. It’s not about saving money (because it really won’t), or having an advantage over people with regular pickaxes (all it does is mine the same ores), but it’s all about convenience. Which is great, because that’s what the store should be about.

Next up:
-perma logging axe

A permanent axe / sickle and salvage kit would be another instant buy for me. I love conveniences.

(edited by Milennin.4825)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

This really only benefits players with few characters. Let’s be real, did I ever mine Copper or Silver? No. Would I mine it with the pick? No. One tap on an Orichalcum node is worth 20 Copper taps; I wouldn’t bother wasting my time on the lower node types. The only time I’d ever use this thing is if I were doing map exploration or leveling an alt by running around the wilderness, and let’s be real, the low level mining tools are so cheap that it’s no big deal.

My only real consideration here was maybe getting this thing on my commander so I can mine anything I run into in WvW, but let’s be real there too… How often do I mine in WvW? Honestly, I haven’t in months, so why bother?

I’d shell out the 800 gems if it were account bound so I could use it as I level alts, but not as it is now.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Black Lion Trading Co

munkiman.3068

It does cater to some people for sure though… I certainly run around the low level areas for dailies since it’s pretty quick and since gathering is very often part of dailies. There are times i run out of picks in the middle of nowhere, it’s going to save me some travel costs too.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kernave.5732

Kernave.5732

Yeah, I’m sure there will be an “orichalcum+1” level node and considering they’ve made the effort to state it has the same efficiency as an Orichalcum Mining Pick this isn’t a long term mining solution investment. This is a looks cool item, still I might buy one.

in Black Lion Trading Co

lordkrall.7241

Yeah, I’m sure there will be an “orichalcum+1” level node and considering they’ve made the effort to state it has the same efficiency as an Orichalcum Mining Pick this isn’t a long term mining solution investment. This is a looks cool item, still I might buy one.

Actually the item itself says: “Used to mine all metals” so it is quite unlikely that it will be unusable on a possible future higher tier metal.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I buy my ori tools with karma. much cheaper than gold.
350 karma
other methods of turning karma into gold are around 50,000 karma to 1 gold. that would make 350 karma worth 70c. at 21g for unlimited, that’s equivalent to 3,000 tools. 300,000 uses. 3 seconds per use = 900,000 seconds = 10.4 days of harvesting (not counting running between nodes, this is what teleport bots would observe)
it’s not worth it in terms of long term investment.
but it is worth it in terms of convenience of never not having one in the future.
however, without the other 2 tools as well, this second one doesn’t really count as you still have to go buy stuff and worry about those.
the only way I’ll buy this is if the other 2 are also available.

for those who don’t know: the ori mining pick is purchasable from Lionguard Demolitionist Varrv in Southsun Cove for 60 seconds after completing the “Help Lionguard Demolitionist Varrv plant explosives in karka nests” event. 4 months ago I did this and bought 20 stacks of picks. I currently have 2 stacks left and will need to head back there soon :P

(edited by Mystic.5934)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

What I do wonder about this axe is this:

Should a new tier of crafting materials appear (in this case, a new higher-level ore node), would this mining pick still be useful? If remains to be useful, then I think what we really have here is a Legendary mining pick, in that it has similar statistical functions to a Legendary weapon. Meaning like as new more powerful weapons are introduced, the stats of your Legendary weapon should theoretically increase. The same idea could be applied to this mining pick if new higher-grade materials are introduced.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

in Black Lion Trading Co

lordkrall.7241

Well it does say “Used to mine all metals” on the actual item (not in the store though, for some reason) so it is quite likely that it will be able to mine higher tiers should they be released.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

Well it does say “Used to mine all metals” on the actual item (not in the store though, for some reason) so it is quite likely that it will be able to mine higher tiers should they be released.

Exactly. I also would feel pretty kitten in the kitten if it didn’t work on the higher nodes once they are released.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

If we could get a statement, one way or another, as to wether or not this will ALWAYS work on any mining node it would be great.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

I didn’t buy it because it was cost effective. I bought it because it looks cool when I mine. If it had been limited uses, I wouldn’t have bought it because I would have felt the need to save the effect for a special occasion, and that would have pushed the value below the $10 threshold.

I totally get that it’s too expensive to be worth it for some folks. I see it as two fancy coffees (and maybe a cookie) from a cafe. I think I probably wouldn’t have spent the money if GW2 had a subscription, but as it is now, it’s a permanent item in a game I can pick up and play whenever I want. I also have a main character that I’ve been playing since early access, so the soul bound part didn’t pain me too much.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Xyne.9104

Xyne.9104

I bought it for convenience sake.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: EgonVenkman.1907

EgonVenkman.1907

The cost per character is what bites for me. I don’t play on just one. I bounce back and forth between all my alts depending on my mood.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.”
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-guild-wars-2-preview?page=3

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: dronzer.8392

dronzer.8392

we live in a world of convenience, and convenience is good business! that’s what I’ve learnt from watching the apprentice!
I’m sold! though still on the fence whether to get it for my alt, one of the best products on the gem store! whoever came up with this idea, is a keeper!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

I bought one for my main even though I was aware that it would be a very long time for me to break even on the cost of it.

But thinking about it some more, the picks are both a convenience item and a cosmetic item, so you’re not just paying to free up bag space or to reduce the hassle of buying new picks, but you’re also getting the cosmetic value from them too.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kallah.3271

Kallah.3271

I’m sold! though still on the fence whether to get it for my alt, one of the best products on the gem store! whoever came up with this idea, is a keeper!

I wonder how closely they’ll be following the sales from this pick vs. sales of keys from people searching for the weapon skins. While it’s not a straight comparison (a weapon skin is almost constantly shown off, where as a pick looks cool for a few moments while you mine) it’ll be interesting to see how many people are willing to pay a higher, flat fee for a cosmetic boost vs. how many people are willing to buy fistfuls of keys hoping for a winning ticket. Even though the convenience of the axe is small, and the particle effect is only seen when mining, I’ll be picking one of these up in a day or two when I have the gold – mostly to show my support of fixed rate vs. randomly obtained cash store goodies.

in Black Lion Trading Co

munkiman.3068

If we could get a statement, one way or another, as to wether or not this will ALWAYS work on any mining node it would be great.

Hmm, unless i’m missing something, they haven’t said anything about a higher type of materials ever being introduced. So the worry that something is always going to work seems a bit misplaced.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: HappyDale.5398

HappyDale.5398

I personally feel that the unlimited usage pickax is a Horrible idea. For one simple reason it removes a gold sink. (Now you could argue that this particular gold sink is a small population, but still it is a gold sink that was in game). Maybe this item won’t affect the economy in a negative way, but the idea that Areannet would provide a gem store item that would remove a gold sink is troubling.

For those that don’t understand a gold sink is something in game that removes money from players, in order to try and control inflation.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Narly.9023

Narly.9023

Actually…

• Extremely expensive (we are talking about >50k uses of an Orichalcum Pick here)
  • Not usable on alts
  • No guarantee it wont become useless one day (higher material Tier)

I think I’ll pass on this one.

Actually, I have one and it’s description says “Used to mine all metals. Unlimited use.” As it says, ALL metals.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I personally feel that the unlimited usage pickax is a Horrible idea. For one simple reason it removes a gold sink. (Now you could argue that this particular gold sink is a small population, but still it is a gold sink that was in game). Maybe this item won’t affect the economy in a negative way, but the idea that Areannet would provide a gem store item that would remove a gold sink is troubling.

For those that don’t understand a gold sink is something in game that removes money from players, in order to try and control inflation.

It removed a goldsink for harvesters – letting them move up a little compared to say, oh, day traders or COF 1 commandos.

I can totally support that shift in relative wealth.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: LowestTruth.2635

LowestTruth.2635

No RNG, they now have some of my money. More stuff like this, please.

I really just bought it because lava. Unlimited use is nice, though.

Tarnished Coast

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: dronzer.8392

dronzer.8392

I wonder how closely they’ll be following the sales from this pick vs. sales of keys from people searching for the weapon skins. While it’s not a straight comparison (a weapon skin is almost constantly shown off, where as a pick looks cool for a few moments while you mine) it’ll be interesting to see how many people are willing to pay a higher, flat fee for a cosmetic boost vs. how many people are willing to buy fistfuls of keys hoping for a winning ticket. Even though the convenience of the axe is small, and the particle effect is only seen when mining, I’ll be picking one of these up in a day or two when I have the gold – mostly to show my support of fixed rate vs. randomly obtained cash store goodies.

I’m pretty sure they’ll follow the sales closely, the fact that it’s listed as a limited time offer could lead one to assume that this item would be quite popular, I can definitely see the appeal of the weapons skins and the people who want it would be willing to risk RNG from the loot chests but like many others have stated, it is a form of gambling and that can could lead to a dangerous thing, especially for the younger audience of the game.
Though not to derail the thread, the item is great, the many times I’ve been out there and forgot to buy an extra pair of mining items has been too great, and like you said the extra slot is definitely welcomed.
It is on the expensive side but convenience is usually expensive, (like the car vs public transport. )

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Most of the supposed gold sinks in GW2, including that one, are regressive – they impact primarily on poorer players (and basic gear up to level 80 exotics hasn’t really inflated at all unless you’re looking for vanity looks – if anything, prices in that region have dropped) and don’t touch the people who are actually driving inflation except indirectly through the trickle-up effect. Since gold sinks are in theory to prevent inflation so new players don’t face an impossible barrier to get into the market, they’re actually having the opposite effect.

From my calculations of it requiring thousands of orichalcum nodes to make back your investment, plus the fact that it’s apparently soulbound and I have eight characters… Thanks, but no thanks. I’ll cover lower-level zones by having a set of lesser picks that I can share across my account. Or even just use mithril tools for lesser materials.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Hmm, unless i’m missing something, they haven’t said anything about a higher type of materials ever being introduced. So the worry that something is always going to work seems a bit misplaced.

Since they’ve talked about one day increasing the level cap, the odds of getting higher level nodes is more likely than not. Regardless of the level cap, I would imagine harder zones, such as the ring of fire, would have something above orichalcum level. They could even decide that ascended gear should be craftable and add special nodes requiring “ascended” tools.

If the pick was intended to be usable forever, they would probably be advertising it as such, since it would sell more. By leaving it unclear, those that hope it will last forever will buy it, whereas if they directly said it wouldn’t, some of those people would no longer want it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rengaru.4730

Actually, I have one and it’s description says “Used to mine all metals. Unlimited use.” As it says, ALL metals.

“Used to mine all metals.” is in the description of every standard Orichalcum Pick, if there ever will be a higher tier they will definitely change the text to reflect this.

And the Pickaxe in the shop explicitly states “same efficency as an Orichalcum Mining Pick” so there is still no guarantee it won’t become useless one day.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

“Used to mine all metals.” is in the description of every standard Orichalcum Pick, if there ever will be a higher tier they will definitely change the text to reflect this.

And the Pickaxe in the shop explicitly states “same efficency as an Orichalcum Mining Pick” so there is still no guarantee it won’t become useless one day.

But there’s no guarantee that it will either. Works both ways.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rengaru.4730

But there’s no guarantee that it will either. Works both ways.

Thats what I said…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I bought one for each of my 5 characters. For me, the convenience of never having to worry about buying picks ever again trumped everything else. I only maybe buy gems every 3 – 4 months, and only if there’s something I really want, so I could afford dropping the $50 or so for 4000 gems.

I think that if (and it’s a big “if”) ANet releases T7 or higher ore nodes in the future, there’s a good chance that the Molten Alliance picks will be upgraded to harvest those nodes too. The picks were sold on the premise that you’d never need to buy mining picks ever again, so we could argue that the MA picks should be upgraded to match that promise.