Finding buyers outside the game

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Macsimus.7304

Macsimus.7304

I am double checking this for a good friend. He recently got a precursor drop (Dusk from something resembling a crab in an “epic” event). Unfortunately he does not have the 15g to list the item on the TP. Is there anything at all in the ToS that makes finding a buyer outside the game wrong/bannable? The entire transaction will take place in game and be legit (gold for item). Just wanted to make sure for him while he is in a meeting. Sorry if this has been discussed/answered before!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: John Smith.4610

John Smith.4610

Grey market trading outside the TP is not supported by us.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Macsimus.7304

Macsimus.7304

Thank you sir. I will tell him to get back to farming. If you happen to read this (which you don’t have to because this is highly tangential to the topic), is there a good reason there is a listing fee charged when meeting a buy order? Since it is an instant transaction for usually a good deal lower than the posting option, it stands to reason that the 10% tax would be enough. Again this is a total aside and thanks for your information regarding the topic.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ythreekbug.4589

Ythreekbug.4589

If he is just meeting a buy order, I could front him the gold (he would have to pay me back after the sale). I won’t be in game for like 5 hours, but if that works for him/you, shoot me a PM with the particulars and we’ll work out the details.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Signet of Forums.4397

Signet of Forums.4397

Thank you sir. I will tell him to get back to farming. If you happen to read this (which you don’t have to because this is highly tangential to the topic), is there a good reason there is a listing fee charged when meeting a buy order?

It would weight the market more towards buy orders.

Therefore we proceed to write a sig.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sirgleno.2679

Sirgleno.2679

Not sure what “not supported” means exactly. Does that mean it isn’t allowed, or that ANet won’t enforce payment (essentially buyer beware)? This is a pretty important question, and I’d appreciate clarification.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mika.9815

Mika.9815

I’m just noting that it’s nice to see you used the correct term, and not ‘black market’ as some in the community are saying when talking about 3rd party sellers.

Ie. illicit trade in goods or commodities in violation of official regulations, vs. a market that legally circumvents authorized channels of distribution to sell goods at prices lower than those intended by the manufacturer -Merriam-Webster

Not sure what “not supported” means exactly

It’ll probably mean that you risk your account getting banned if caught participating in it. Or at least they want to imply that risk, to scare you off.

(edited by Mika.9815)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mamourrir.9641

mamourrir.9641

Not sure what “not supported” means exactly. Does that mean it isn’t allowed, or that ANet won’t enforce payment (essentially buyer beware)? This is a pretty important question, and I’d appreciate clarification.

It just means they are not responsible if you get scammed.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: HeeHee.5208

HeeHee.5208

It just means they are not responsible if you get scammed.

Yup, you trade at your own risk!

Stay alert and be smart! i.e. trade only with people you can trust

EDIT: Just noticed caveat emptor in Sirgleno’s post, yes, it is essentially that, except in this case it applies for the seller.

(edited by HeeHee.5208)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

As the others have said, John’s use of the term “grey market” means that while it’s not considered illegal (and thus bannable), you’re on your own if you happen to get scammed while trading outside of the TP.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jia Shen.4217

Jia Shen.4217

There is no safe way to trade outside of the TP. It is why they didn’t include the old face to face trading. Because despite all of their efforts to provide safe trading in that kind of system far too many players were still managing to get scammed. Your friend can borrow the fee from someone to sell the item and then pay them back. I’m assuming your friend is trustworthy and knows someone who trusts him.