Gem Price Plummet?

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: chaosbringer.4092

chaosbringer.4092

The sudden plummet in price for gems at roughly Thursday 2pm. From roughly 2.2Gold to 1.6Gold. Surely there’s ‘someone’ buying a LOT in order to cause such a big drop in the price?

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Syeria.4812

Syeria.4812

I don’t know, other than a huge drop on 1/31 (which is probably one or a few “investors” liquidating their supply) I don’t see anything unusual on the chart.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Windwalker.2047

Windwalker.2047

Price went up because of the promotions and then went back down when everyone brought all they wanted.
Still too expensive tho

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Are you sure you’re not looking at the gem to gold price as opposed to the gold to gem price?

RIP in peace Robert

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Direwulff.2396

Direwulff.2396

Quaggan backpacks…. enough said

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

no no .. each time they put the Gem shop for maintenance .. there is a huge spike but it drop instantly when they restart it.

Check the graph for the 24 and 31 january — Billing maintenance

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Giles Marchand.6970

Giles Marchand.6970

The price of gems has been confirmed to be completely controlled by ArenaNet, who confirmed it, ArenaNet, in a previous post in this forum. I don’t know if the number of people purchasing gems has anything to do with it.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: John Smith.4610

John Smith.4610

Next

The price of gems has been confirmed to be completely controlled by ArenaNet, who confirmed it, ArenaNet, in a previous post in this forum. I don’t know if the number of people purchasing gems has anything to do with it.

What post would that be?

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Predator.7321

Predator.7321

Lol, liar gets owned

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Predator.7321

Predator.7321

Go John go!!!:)

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Field Marshal.7946

Field Marshal.7946

Can you explain on how, when you buy gems, and it is converted to gold in game, where does the gold come from? Is this from the 15% that is taken with sales on the TP/tax?

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Can you explain on how, when you buy gems, and it is converted to gold in game, where does the gold come from? Is this from the 15% that is taken with sales on the TP/tax?

The gold is magically created out of thin air by Unicorns.

On the flipside, gold taken from the TP through the tax is magically (and voraciously) devoured by Bears.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

It’s from the people who convert gold to gems

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Blueshield.6291

Blueshield.6291

So real-world economies are largely based on “virtual” money already (electronic transactions) and you’re having a conceptual difficulty with virtual money in a virtual environment?

It comes from the same place as coin drops from mobs – created from nothing.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Field Marshal.7946

Nice response Ursan. Well, then what happens to the 15% tax on posting and sales of items on the TP? Is that money just removed from the world? Or does ANET take this money and use it for the drops in game?

Just trying to figure out how the world works behind the scenes.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ursan.7846

Nice response Ursan. Well, then what happens to the 15% tax on posting and sales of items on the TP? Is that money just removed from the world? Or does ANET take this money and use it for the drops in game?

Just trying to figure out how the world works behind the scenes.

You’re thinking too hard. Bears love to eat gold and remove it from the game, you know.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Field Marshal.7946

That would not work with the economy they are trying to have. It has to be put in the game and not magically just go away.

That would cause huge fluctuations in the gold price being stable/unstable if the air just evaporated it, while ANET turns down or up the drop rates/amounts for silver/copper.

Would cause market issues and possible inflation if they devalued their currency.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ursan.7846

That would not work with the economy they are trying to have. It has to be put in the game and not magically just go away.

That would cause huge fluctuations in the gold price being stable/unstable if the air just evaporated it, while ANET turns down or up the drop rates/amounts for silver/copper.

Would cause market issues and possible inflation if they devalued their currency.

1. If gold is being destroyed, and only being destroyed, it would cause the opposite of inflation. You’re not devaluing the currency, you’re making it incredibly valuable.
2. You would have a point, you know, if gold taps weren’t like EVERYWHERE in the game. Sell blues to the vendor. Kill a mob and he drops gold. Complete a dungeon and get gold.

Read my post in a different thread.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/bltc/The-bl-TP-being-abused/first#post1343223

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Field Marshal.7946

I understand. The point I was making is, what is happening to this money or tax? People say that ANET is influencing things. (Which of course they can by changing the drop amounts, rates or what mat is dropped) but if this tax was a pool of money/ treasury funds and they were not just printing money, indeed have a formula where the drops were coming out of the tax money on the TP, then all this talk about them influencing the GW2 economy would stop.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ursan.7846

I understand. The point I was making is, what is happening to this money or tax? People say that ANET is influencing things. (Which of course they can by changing the drop amounts, rates or what mat is dropped) but if this tax was a pool of money/ treasury funds and they were not just printing money, indeed have a formula where the drops were coming out of the tax money on the TP, then all this talk about them influencing the GW2 economy would stop.

So real-world economies are largely based on “virtual” money already (electronic transactions) and you’re having a conceptual difficulty with virtual money in a virtual environment?

It comes from the same place as coin drops from mobs – created from nothing.

I’m gonna say it again, you’re thinking too hard.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Field Marshal.7946

I don’t think I am. I think that they have a formula in place that all money that is put out, comes back in, to keep the economy stable and ensure that it cannot be widely affected.

And if you think that the 15% is being flushed, to what end? Just because?

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I don’t think I am. I think that they have a formula in place that all money that is put out, comes back in, to keep the economy stable and ensure that it cannot be widely affected.

So in order for one of us to “make” money via drops from enemies, someone across the game servers needs to “lose” the money first?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ursan.7846

So you think the economy is a closed system then? Nothing gets in or out, since everything, according to you, is recirculating? Am I understanding this correctly?

That is a terrible idea for the economy. What do you do when new players create more characters? If the economy is a closed system, the gold-per-character ratio would go down like crazy.

People create gold through normal gameplay. They also destroy gold through normal gameplay. I’m sure in their design, Anet tuned it so that they all more or less come out to be the same. There is no set, limited pool of gold that they draw/deposit from.

Also that 15% acts as a gold sink, to counteract the gold taps in this game.

Again, you’re thinking too much. Please read my post, I think it’s a pretty good explanation of gold taps/sinks in a MMO economy.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Syeria.4812

While it’s theoretically possible (and even somewhat remotely plausible) that the formula for gem prices includes some sort of “per capita income” variable, there’s no reason to assume it has to be there.

Gold is automatically created in various places as Ursan notes. There is absolutely no good economic reason why gold should not simply be destroyed. The 15% (it’s actually a higher rate than this when you account for failed postings still pay the 5% portion of the tax) is simply destroyed to keep the money supply from inflating out of control.

Ursan noted that you’re “overthinking” it. I might say you’re “underthinking.” Just consider the money supply if that 15% is not simply destroyed. If you can average 1.5g in straight gold creation in a single AC run, and tens of thousands of people do at least one of those per day, what will happen if there is effectively no TP tax (as reinjecting the tax elsewhere in the money supply has, ceteris paribus, the same effect as the tax not existing)? The money supply would quickly increase unabated, and we’d end up with significant (if not hyper-) inflation.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Syeria.4812

So in order for one of us to “make” money via drops from enemies, someone across the game servers needs to “lose” the money first?

Because mercantilism!

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Field Marshal.7946

While it’s theoretically possible (and even somewhat remotely plausible) that the formula for gem prices includes some sort of “per capita income” variable, there’s no reason to assume it has to be there.

Gold is automatically created in various places as Ursan notes. There is absolutely no good economic reason why gold should not simply be destroyed. The 15% (it’s actually a higher rate than this when you account for failed postings still pay the 5% portion of the tax) is simply destroyed to keep the money supply from inflating out of control.

Ursan noted that you’re “overthinking” it. I might say you’re “underthinking.” Just consider the money supply if that 15% is not simply destroyed. If you can average 1.5g in straight gold creation in a single AC run, and tens of thousands of people do at least one of those per day, what will happen if there is effectively no TP tax (as reinjecting the tax elsewhere in the money supply has, ceteris paribus, the same effect as the tax not existing)? The money supply would quickly increase unabated, and we’d end up with significant (if not hyper-) inflation.

My point is what if it is “not” being destroyed and is in fact going back to the public via drops. Who is to say that ANEt did not set up the world with a certain amount of gold, towards drops and now that we are full tilt, the economy is self sufficient because of the 15% TP tax going back directly to the people. The world never goes below that set amount of gold, it just moves around when people trade something on the TP and the tax gets put back into the drops.

Then Anet would just add different Mats/items to also move the money around again. Only money that comes in is via Gems to gold. The gold to gem also takes cash off the top and back into the system as well.

Anytime you add more gold/ coin into the system, you run the risk to cause an influx to the economic structure. I am sure they would want to limit the amount of activity from occurring.

My hypothesis sounds more secure and stable which would lessen the amount of damage that could be caused to the monetary system by always pumping and having an infinite amount of coin/gold in the system.

Right now, people are not complaining about cash, but are complaining about drops of certain materials.

I may be completely wrong, and I hope that John comes and responds. But odds are that they are probably not going to spill the details to their special sauce just to show who might be right and who might be wrong in this thread.

(edited by Field Marshal.7946)

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Syeria.4812

My point is what if it is “not” being destroyed and is in fact going back to the public via drops. Who is to say that ANEt did not set up the world with a certain amount of gold, towards drops and now that we are full tilt, the economy is self sufficient because of the 15% TP tax going back directly to the people. The world never goes below that set amount of gold, it just moves around when people trade something on the TP and the tax gets put back into the drops.

Then Anet would just add different Mats/items to also move the money around again. Only money that comes in is via Gems to gold. The gold to gem also takes cash off the top and back into the system as well.

Anytime you add more gold/ coin into the system, you run the risk to cause an influx to the economic structure. I am sure they would want to limit the amount of activity from occurring.

My hypothesis sounds more secure and stable which would lessen the amount of damage that could be caused to the monetary system by always pumping and having an infinite amount of coin/gold in the system.

Right now, people are not complaining about cash, but are complaining about drops of certain materials.

I may be completely wrong, and I hope that John comes and responds. But odds are that they are probably not going to spill the details to their special sauce just to show who might be right and who might be wrong in this thread.

Such a system could only possibly work in a market with a fixed population, or a proportional relationship between the number of characters (not accounts, but characters) and the frequency with which money changes hands. We know that a fixed population isn’t true, so we can eliminate that option, and it seems quite implausible that the latter is even possible in theory.

Essentially, if the system worked that way, you would have a fixed money supply. The average player gold would be a fixed figure, and the only question would be wealth distribution. It would be, by definition a zero-sum game, and basically a literal implementation of the mercantilist view of the world. In such a system, someone else having gold would literally make you worse off. If I played all day and earned 10g, it would only be by somehow “taking it” from another player.

To show why this sort of system would not work well, let’s look at a few examples:

Let’s say the game has 400,000 active players and 100,000,000g in currency. In this situation, the average player has 250g. Now, a lot might have only 10g, but a few may have 10,000g. The mean (not to be confused with median) player has 200g. Now Anet gets some good press and runs a sale and suddenly there’s 100,000 new players that pick up the game. Now the average player only has 200g. On average, their gold holdings decreased by 20%. Now there’s deflation, so players don’t really end up worse off. However, deflation tends to be an extremely bad thing economically speaking. Everyone talks about how horrible inflation can be, and worries about it, but inflation is (relatively speaking) a good thing. I’d rather not get into the details, but suffice it to say significant deflation is very very bad.

On top of that, what happens to money that’s on inactive accounts? My wife hasn’t played more than maybe 2 hours in the past two months. The currency on her account has essentially been “destroyed” insofar as the money supply is concerned. There’s probably hundreds of thousands of accounts like this. All of that money is essentially gone from the system, defeating any theoretical reasons for having a fixed supply of money.

Now, the big question about such a theory is the big “why” question. Why would Anet make the money supply a fixed quantity? What is gained by such a thing? I can’t honestly think of a single advantage such a system would have over one with offsetting creation and destruction of currency (which, by the way, is basically how the US dollar works). If there’s no significant advantages, why would Anet go to great programming (and mathematical) work to try link the two? That’s not to mention the fact that such a system dramatically limits Anet’s ability to influence the in game economy.

It’s almost a complete certainty that in game currency creation and destruction is handled without any direct ties. It’s plausible that the gold/gems conversion equations include some reference to the quantity of gold existing in the game, but anything beyond that is extremely implausible.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ursan.7846

You are completely wrong. It is destroyed and re-created constantly. There is no “pool” that somehow limits/increases the gold taps in this world

1. Your system doesn’t account for an increase/decrease in population. If there was a “set” amount of gold in the economy that never changed, as population increased gold/player would decrease, and would cause deflation, the exact fluctuations you’re trying to avoid.

2. If there truly is a set amount of gold in the game, then you’d see massive deflation as more and more players enter the game and gold becomes scarce, per player. And yet over the life of the game Gold → Gem prices have steadily gone up, indicating that players are converting more gold into gems than vice versa, which is exactly the opposite behavior you expect to see in your system.

3. A good majority of the gold taps in this game are constant. Dungeon boss drops and event rewards, for example. If Anet truly wanted to control gold taps that precisely, those gold taps won’t be constant.

4. You say your system combats fluctuations in currency values. But Anet already has a system of gold taps/sinks in place that does this. It doesn’t have to have a “pool” to deposit/draw from, as long as the two are tuned and balanced.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

Wow. I think I’ll just accept the Unicorns and Bears explanation and go smack some dredge.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Giles Marchand.6970

What post would that be?

“there has never been a completely free market in any MMO, patches and fixes modify markets.” – John Smith

That statement would include Guild Wars 2, earlier in the thread you had asked, “Out of curiosity, how many feel that a 100% free market would be a good idea?” Which of course would mean that Guild Wars 2 is not 100% free market, that makes sense but since ArenaNet controls our accrual of gold completely that would mean that ultimately ArenaNet controls the gem prices.

It would also appear the post you linked was made a month or so after I had left that thread and was made to address some confusion. Like many others, I misinterpreted what you had said earlier in the thread.

I apologize for not clearly expressing my thoughts in my initial post.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

wait, so why did the price go down?

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

Its the Charr who owns the TP that buys the Gems from you.

Simple as that.

He lurvs dem Gems.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

Its the Charr who owns the TP that buys the Gems from you.

Simple as that.

He lurvs dem Gems.

No ways dude. John Smith’s real job is to manually send Gold to everyone who converts them from Gems. He uses voodoo magic to create the Gold from used chewing gum and potato chips left over from the last Dev meeting. Gaile then does the Anet Haka to bind the pixels to your account so it doesn’t disappear. This process is then repeated every single time someone converts their Gems.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

What post would that be?

“there has never been a completely free market in any MMO, patches and fixes modify markets.” – John Smith

That statement would include Guild Wars 2, earlier in the thread you had asked, “Out of curiosity, how many feel that a 100% free market would be a good idea?” Which of course would mean that Guild Wars 2 is not 100% free market, that makes sense but since ArenaNet controls our accrual of gold completely that would mean that ultimately ArenaNet controls the gem prices.

It would also appear the post you linked was made a month or so after I had left that thread and was made to address some confusion. Like many others, I misinterpreted what you had said earlier in the thread.

Er, wow, you just made a huge amount of assumptions based on a very vague statement and questionnaire.

Here lemme give you an example of what you just did:

Person A: Kittens are usually brown but in rare occasions it can be white.
Person B: WHAT? Are you saying all kitten is white and that brown kitten doesn’t exist anymore!!!
Person A: No no, i’m just saying that although kitten is mostly brown, sometimes depending what you eat and stuff, it can turn white, but its rare I mean they can also be yellow too.
Person B: WHAT?, now you’re saying kitten can only be yellow and white?! pulls hair out

Person A: err…i’m going to start a questionnaire now, out of curiosity, how many people would think yellow and white kittens is a good idea :o?
Person B: OMG, this person is the devil!!!!!! he wants all our kittens to be yellow and white!!! Unitology rwar rwar awr more pulling hair

I changed it to kittens because I wasn’t sure if using the actual word would be considered an infraction. Lol, jokes aside, my point is, you’ve taken a statement totally out of context and made huge assumptions based on something they clearly did not mean.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Giles Marchand.6970

What post would that be?

Er, wow, you just made a huge amount of assumptions based on a very vague statement and questionnaire.

Here lemme give you an example of what you just did:

Person A: Kittens are usually brown but in rare occasions it can be white.
Person B: WHAT? Are you saying all kitten is white and that brown kitten doesn’t exist anymore!!!
Person A: No no, i’m just saying that although kitten is mostly brown, sometimes depending what you eat and stuff, it can turn white, but its rare I mean they can also be yellow too.
Person B: WHAT?, now you’re saying kitten can only be yellow and white?! pulls hair out

Person A: err…i’m going to start a questionnaire now, out of curiosity, how many people would think yellow and white kittens is a good idea :o?
Person B: OMG, this person is the devil!!!!!! he wants all our kittens to be yellow and white!!! Unitology rwar rwar awr more pulling hair

I changed it to kittens because I wasn’t sure if using the actual word would be considered an infraction. Lol, jokes aside, my point is, you’ve taken a statement totally out of context and made huge assumptions based on something they clearly did not mean.

That’s nothing like what I said. No one is going to deny that Guild Wars 2 isn’t 100% free market, it doesn’t sound like you know what I’m even talking about.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ursan.7846

That’s nothing like what I said. No one is going to deny that Guild Wars 2 isn’t 100% free market, it doesn’t sound like you know what I’m even talking about.

When you say something like…

The price of gems has been confirmed to be completely controlled by ArenaNet

You’re implying that they directly set the gem cost. They say "100 gold = 100 gems, and that’s that. That is “completely control” of the price.

They obviously do not do that. We’re all confused as to how did you jump from “GW2 isn’t a free market” to “Anet completely controls gem prices.”

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

One thing I have wondered:
if someone sells 10,000 gems for gold, then someone else buys 10,000 gems with gold, will the gem→gold price be the same after as before? (is it the same increase as decrease?)

also, I’d like to point out (I’m not sure if Anet has thought of and accounted for this):
if you sell 100 gems you get (as an example) 1.5g. if you buy 1.5g worth of gems, you will only get like 85 gems (for example). However, when someone sells 100 gems for 1.5g, the exchange rate goes down so the next 100 gems may only give 1.499g. and that 1.5g would then buy 85.01 gems. If this is the case, then it’s only a matter of quantity before it’s possible to make instant profit from buying/selling gems. example: sell 100,000 gems and get 1,500g, then price of gems goes down to 100 gems for 1g, then you buy 100,000 gems for 1,150g (I’m assuming it costs 15% more to buy gems than selling them will bring)
This was an exploit in Fable and many other games. I would hate for it to exist here as well. It is very possible to have less simplistic mechanics that make this impossible.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

so… no one knows the exact reasons why prices fell? :o

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

so… no one knows the exact reasons why prices fell? :o

There are people who know, but none of them are at liberty to say.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Unknown.2796

Unknown.2796

Since this seems the place to be regarding gems and stuff;

I was wondering; with gold > gems being more “rewarding” than gems > gold
(example 1 gold = 100 gems, 100 gems = 80 silver)

So it is a lot less attractive for people to trade in their gems for gold again (when rates don’t vary that much) wouldn’t that mean gem prices will mostly rise?

Location, location, location.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

I was wondering; with gold > gems being more “rewarding” than gems > gold
(example 1 gold = 100 gems, 100 gems = 80 silver)

How is it more rewarding to have to pay more for gems?

Ok now pay attention:

So it is a lot less attractive for people to trade in their gems for gold again (when rates don’t vary that much) wouldn’t that mean gem prices will mostly rise?

So which is it? Rates don’t vary that much or gem prices will mostly rise?

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

A.Net would have to be insane to be flushing gold instead of gems. Blazing hot day on Mercury insane.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Previous

John Smith.4610

if someone sells 10,000 gems for gold, then someone else buys 10,000 gems with gold, will the gem->gold price be the same after as before? (is it the same increase as decrease?)

also, I’d like to point out (I’m not sure if Anet has thought of and accounted for this):
if you sell 100 gems you get (as an example) 1.5g. if you buy 1.5g worth of gems, you will only get like 85 gems (for example). However, when someone sells 100 gems for 1.5g, the exchange rate goes down so the next 100 gems may only give 1.499g. and that 1.5g would then buy 85.01 gems. If this is the case, then it’s only a matter of quantity before it’s possible to make instant profit from buying/selling gems. example: sell 100,000 gems and get 1,500g, then price of gems goes down to 100 gems for 1g, then you buy 100,000 gems for 1,150g (I’m assuming it costs 15% more to buy gems than selling them will bring)
This was an exploit in Fable and many other games. I would hate for it to exist here as well. It is very possible to have less simplistic mechanics that make this impossible.

I thought of this before release, it won’t work; although I highly encourage you to give it a shot

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Dan.8709

Dan.8709

John, let me love you.

Just so my post doesn’t get deleted: it’s pretty fun to play around exchanging gems… I only did it once, for which I researched and waited for two days till I got the amount I wanted, I could’ve got better one day before though if I hadn’t wait too much, I did and it started dropping down like crazy, so I kept checking to see which hours it would go up more etc and got what I wanted.
Felt pretty amazing.

Daniel Cousland – Darkhaven

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Giles Marchand.6970

You’re implying that they directly set the gem cost. They say "100 gold = 100 gems, and that’s that. That is “completely control” of the price.

They obviously do not do that. We’re all confused as to how did you jump from “GW2 isn’t a free market” to “Anet completely controls gem prices.”

I already apologized for not clearly expressing my thoughts, I meant “ultimately” not “completely.”

We’re all confused as to how did you jump from “GW2 isn’t a free market” to “Anet completely controls gem prices.”

No one should be confused by that, everyone can see that I posted one before the other, not the other way around. I realized I needed to better explain and I did.

(edited by Giles Marchand.6970)

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

if someone sells 10,000 gems for gold, then someone else buys 10,000 gems with gold, will the gem->gold price be the same after as before? (is it the same increase as decrease?)

I thought of this before release, it won’t work; although I highly encourage you to give it a shot

And yet another reason why we all love John Smith.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

I already apologized for not clearly expressing my thoughts, I meant “ultimately” not “completely.”

We’re all confused as to how did you jump from “GW2 isn’t a free market” to “Anet completely controls gem prices.”

No one should be confused by that, everyone can see that I posted one before the other, not the other way around. I realized I needed to better explain and I did.

You can only say, ultimately, anet can control the gem price indirectly. i.e. they can shift the market depending on patches, fixes, new content etc. But what they’re not doing is… hmm price for gold to gem ratio is too high, lets make it lower, which is what you’ve been heavily implying based on what you said.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Giles Marchand.6970

You can only say, ultimately, anet can control the gem price indirectly. i.e. they can shift the market depending on patches, fixes, new content etc. But what they’re not doing is… hmm price for gold to gem ratio is too high, lets make it lower, which is what you’ve been heavily implying based on what you said.

Fair enough.

Gem Price Plummet?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

If you see “gold” as a tool, not so much as a goal, the game and real world both look entirely different all of a sudden.

- can’t wear a coin sword or armor
- can’t eat dollars

Ingame Gold and real money are both intrinsically worthless. They only exist to facilitate trade for something you do need. Both IRL and ingame there’s ways to completely avoid the need for cash. More value is created in trades that don’t involve money, than trades that do.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto