Gossamer worth less than silk

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: SSalp.6423

SSalp.6423

I think Gossamer should not be worth less than silk. I, personally, am fine with the silk price but gossamer should get something to increase its worth.

Immotal Kingdom[KING] – Desolation

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

You know there’s something wrong when a rare drops and you’re disappointed that you didn’t get the common drop instead. — salvaging

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

You know there’s something wrong when a rare drops and you’re disappointed that you didn’t get the common drop instead. — salvaging

I said something like this in guild chat the other day.. something to the effect of: does anyone else find it weird to now be disappointed when you get gossamer instead of silk?

And of course when you factor in linen, the whole situation is even more absurd. :P

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I think Gossamer should not be worth less than silk. I, personally, am fine with the silk price but gossamer should get something to increase its worth.

The reason why gossamer is cheaper than silk is that lots of people promoted silk to gossamer prior to the ascended armorcrafting patch in december because they thought Gossamer would rise higher in price.

the silk/gossamer prices are a dilemma the players brought upon themselves and i dont know why Anet should change anything.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Noah.4756

Noah.4756

The reason why gossamer is cheaper than silk is that lots of people promoted silk to gossamer prior to the ascended armorcrafting patch in december because they thought Gossamer would rise higher in price.

the silk/gossamer prices are a dilemma the players brought upon themselves and i dont know why Anet should change anything.

That’s one (odd) way to explain it. A more logical explanation is that the demand for silk is much higher than gossamer because people need waaay more of silk for ascended armor crafting. Here are the numbers for a full set of ascended armor:

- Silk scrap required: 10800 (light), 7500 (heavy), 7200 (medium)
- Gossamer scrap required: 60 (light), 70 (heavy), 60 (medium)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Gossamer is just useless atm, noone needs more than about 2 stacks.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Just wait for Legendary armors to come out. Then, prices will spike when people start crafting Exotics to MF their Precursor armor.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Just wait for Legendary armors to come out. Then, prices will spike when people start crafting Exotics to MF their Precursor armor.

How does that help goss? Or you mean wait until they eventually come out with legendary armor?

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

How does that help goss? Or you mean wait until they eventually come out with legendary armor?

Unless they change the way you craft Legendary armors, most likely we’ll need to feed Zomorros Exotic armors to get our Precusors. And those armors require a lot of Gossamer.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cleftjaw.9287

Cleftjaw.9287

Tier 7 cloth needing 100 silk bolts instead fo 50 like the rest of other tier 7 mats was a weird move. Made silk prices absurd.

Linen and cotton i understand, because the areas where these drop are less farmed than tier 5 and 6 areas. And also because the majoraty of players play with 80s chars.

But silk prices are artificial because Anet wanted. Not sure why…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Why? What’s wrong with Gossamer being less? For long periods of time in this game, platinum, gold, and iron have been worth more than mithril. Vanilla is worth more than Chili which is worth more than Sage & Rosemary, even though all drop from the same plant (just in different regions).

Just because an item is higher tier doesn’t mean it must be worth more. As long as it drops less often, I’m fine with it.

An alternative question might be, “why does the game spike the demand for silk so high, but do little to increase the demand for its T6 counterpart?” Again, I don’t see anything wrong with this, but I am curious how the Southsun Economist might respond.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Somebody thought it would be clever to change the Bolt of Silk recipe.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

Ah, no. The silk stockpiles were tiny compared to the silk requirements. No idea why you keep peddling this false idea.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Ah, no. The silk stockpiles were tiny compared to the silk requirements. No idea why you keep peddling this false idea.

Just check supply for gossamer and silk bolts and scraps in the 3 weeks prior to the asc armor patch and 2 weeks after. I dont know if you were online during that time but prior to patch all the rage was about gossamer, not silk, even though the change to 3 scraps per bolt of silk already happened.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Just check supply for gossamer and silk bolts and scraps in the 3 weeks prior to the asc armor patch and 2 weeks after. I dont know if you were online during that time but prior to patch all the rage was about gossamer, not silk, even though the change to 3 scraps per bolt of silk already happened.

That’s because no one knew the absurd amount of silk that would be required every day.

I was personally nuts about cotton/wool/linen back then and salvaged a lot for that stuff to get acc MF on top of that though :P

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’m still a bit baffled that people invested so much into Gossamer when prior experience from Ascended Weaponcrafting hinted to us that we would only need minimal amounts of T6 mats.

The one thing none of us expected was the crazily high amounts of Silk needed. I’m not sure why ANet decided to exclude Thermo Reagents from the Ascended Silk Spool and instead make it 100 Bolts of Silk. Maybe they were experimenting to see how much it would destroy the Silk oversupply, but overcorrected for it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

dietzero.3514

All the silk promoted was still just a drop in the bucket. Without the promotion the price would have just skyrocketed a day later.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

All the silk promoted was still just a drop in the bucket. Without the promotion the price would have just skyrocketed a day later.

You are correct, but we are discussing about Silk being more expensive than Gossamer. One of the reasons Gossamer is so cheap it’s because of the high influx of Gossamer in the game due to promotion. If no one had promoted, there would be less Gossamer overall (and more Silk), making it more valuable.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in Black Lion Trading Co

dietzero.3514

You are correct, but we are discussing about Silk being more expensive than Gossamer. One of the reasons Gossamer is so cheap it’s because of the high influx of Gossamer in the game due to promotion. If no one had promoted, there would be less Gossamer overall (and more Silk), making it more valuable.

True. But the main issue is that Gossamer is pretty much useless for most people without a trillion silk to go with it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

Gossamer is useful for leveling tailoring to 500. Its functionality for other crafting disciplines is far less, though.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tremain.4623

Tremain.4623

No the reason is because tons of people craft damask every single day, most of them to sell it, and it uses 300 silk vs 0 gossamer. It has nothing to do with the upgradings, its just much much much higher silk demand than gossamer. Whoever came up with the ascended recipes did a terrible job of balancing the necessary items making t6 worthless, all leather worthless and silk/linen/cotton/wool requirements insane.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

I think we have a much bigger problem with mithril.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

That’s one (odd) way to explain it. A more logical explanation is that the demand for silk is much higher than gossamer because people need waaay more of silk for ascended armor crafting. Here are the numbers for a full set of ascended armor:

- Silk scrap required: 10800 (light), 7500 (heavy), 7200 (medium)
- Gossamer scrap required: 60 (light), 70 (heavy), 60 (medium)

This was my thought, too. It’s like Mithril – it should be MUCH more valuable (lore-wise) than it currently is.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Mithril has too many sources. Considering armor is crafted with cloth lining, all armor needs to have a chance to salvage into cloth, like how wood/metal weapons can give either.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

No the reason is because tons of people craft damask every single day, most of them to sell it, and it uses 300 silk vs 0 gossamer. It has nothing to do with the upgradings, its just much much much higher silk demand than gossamer. Whoever came up with the ascended recipes did a terrible job of balancing the necessary items making t6 worthless, all leather worthless and silk/linen/cotton/wool requirements insane.

Even if the demand is high, it’s the supply that is important for the final price. A lot of Silk “disappeared” because it was thrown in the Mystic Forge, hence the overall supply of Silk decreased tenfold.
We always knew that Linen+Wool+Cotton would be used in large quantities before Ascended Armorcrafting was out, so I don’t really see the problem here.
If anything, it’s Leather that should be looked at.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in Black Lion Trading Co

dietzero.3514

Even if the demand is high, it’s the supply that is important for the final price. A lot of Silk “disappeared” because it was thrown in the Mystic Forge, hence the overall supply of Silk decreased tenfold.
We always knew that Linen+Wool+Cotton would be used in large quantities before Ascended Armorcrafting was out, so I don’t really see the problem here.
If anything, it’s Leather that should be looked at.

The stockpile of silk was enough for like 1 day of ascended crafting. The current prices would still exist.