How do you flip?

How do you flip?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: The Talcmaster.7391

The Talcmaster.7391

Since I’ve been seeing this term around, I was wondering what exactly does the process entail. My main thought would be immediately buying and then turning around and selling it, but I have a feeling that what some (possibly many) people are doing things that are more elaborate. So if someone would like to explain how this process works in general, I and probably many others would be appreciative.

Fort Aspenwood – [fury], [SAO], [NICE]
Fun on someone else’s schedule is not fun

How do you flip?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Other than buying with a buy offer rather than clicking ‘buy now’, setting your expections when pricing it for resale relative to how fast you want/expect it to be bought, and recognizing the flipping is a FIERCELY competitive activity with many, many established combatants… you’ve got the jist of it already.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

How do you flip?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

For short term trades, try to identify something that has a reasonable profit margin before too many other people swamp it. You probably won’t get more than one or two bites at it before any meaningful profit is wiped out by the masses so you have to keep looking for new things. There;s always a risk of getting caught and making a loss so don’t put all your eggs in one basket and don’t risk everything you have at once.

Longer term, you’re talking more about investing which is, in my opinion, even more risky but the same thing applies…just over a long time scale.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

How do you flip?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Start with a good pan, and practice a lot. It’s mostly in the wrist.

How do you flip?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gasoline.2570

Gasoline.2570

Start with a good pan, and practice a lot. It’s mostly in the wrist.

Dis guy. Dis guy knows it!

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

How do you flip?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: AggieTechGuy.4901

AggieTechGuy.4901

If you’re still trying to figure it out, I’ve written a guide on how to flip. Along with the guide, I have created a tool that helps out people flipping the TP do it faster.

Good luck

Commander Logain Redwood – Isle of Janthir
Guildmaster of [CORE] Company of the Red Elite

How do you flip?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Fuschia.6573

Fuschia.6573

Bro, do you even flip?

Seriously, though, the guide in the post right above mine is pretty solid.

I will say that LSHD markets are probably the best to start out in if you can find one in your price range, as there’s very little risk involved – no loss on failed buy orders – and the waiting means you don’t have to do any micromanagement. Gives you a while to get comfortable with everything and all that.

How do you flip?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zumy.6318

Zumy.6318

LSHD markets are what exactly?

Thief | Zumy [Buka]
Legendary counter: Twilight, Bolt, Incinerator, Incinerator Nr. 2, Meteorlogicus, The Dreamer

How do you flip?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

Low Supply / High Demand

How do you flip?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: The Talcmaster.7391

The Talcmaster.7391

Wow. I really appreciate all the tips. I’ll definitely look through that article more thoroughly.

I’ve been doing some experimenting over the weekend, and I think I managed to make some money (I didn’t take existing inventory into account when I started selling, so I’m not sure).

I’m currently trying to ply my analytics expertise to the data that Drakie over at gw2spidy was nice enough to provide me with to make my own tool, which I hope to make publicly available when it’s finished. Nice way to further my work skills and game skills at the same time.

Fort Aspenwood – [fury], [SAO], [NICE]
Fun on someone else’s schedule is not fun

How do you flip?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

an example of flipping:
search for level 68 to 80 rares, sort by price ascending. the first few to show up will likely have low buy orders, which you place several buy orders for. when they fill, salvage those rares and sell the ecto. check the price of ecto before hand, know the return for each salvage, then calculate the max you can pay for each rare to still get a profit.
current ecto price = 23.07s
after TP tax = 19.6s
MSK gives 0.9 ecto/rare = 17.64
so if you can buy your rares for less than 17.64s, you make a profit. not even including the mithril/leather/silk you also get.

patience is the key that leads to profit. waiting for your buy orders to be filled saves a bunch, waiting on your sell orders to sell gets more profit.

How do you flip?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

an example of flipping:
search for level 68 to 80 rares, sort by price ascending. the first few to show up will likely have low buy orders, which you place several buy orders for. when they fill, salvage those rares and sell the ecto. check the price of ecto before hand, know the return for each salvage, then calculate the max you can pay for each rare to still get a profit.
current ecto price = 23.07s
after TP tax = 19.6s
MSK gives 0.9 ecto/rare = 17.64
so if you can buy your rares for less than 17.64s, you make a profit. not even including the mithril/leather/silk you also get.

patience is the key that leads to profit. waiting for your buy orders to be filled saves a bunch, waiting on your sell orders to sell gets more profit.

That’s not flipping, that’s running a scrap materials business at a junk yard.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

How do you flip?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

Bro, do you even flip?

I will say that LSHD markets are probably the best to start out in if you can find one in your price range, as there’s very little risk involved – no loss on failed buy orders – and the waiting means you don’t have to do any micromanagement. Gives you a while to get comfortable with everything and all that.

Wouldn’t that takes months to fulfill orders? LSHD

How do you flip?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Fuschia.6573

Fuschia.6573

Bro, do you even flip?

Wouldn’t that takes months to fulfill orders? LSHD

In extreme cases, perhaps, but usually you’re looking a complete turnover of 1-5 days.

Low-level armor, dyes, some runes, some sigils, and some miniatures are all good examples of that sort of market.