please delete

please delete

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: John Smith.4610

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

So I was thinking about the introduction of precurser crafting. I know that John Smith cannot answer specificially concerning such things, but my main concern would be a price shock if/when an annoucnement is made. I would think that even an announcement of such a thing would cause MANY people to rush out and buy up as much T6, Lodestones and whatever else may be thought to be used in such a venture.

My question is would the economy be able to handle such a thing? Would prices climb dramatically for a short period and then stablize? or just spiral upwards out of control? Are these things even considered when discussing the possibily of precurser crafting?

I understand that some of these may not even be able to be discussed in depth, but I am just curious as to how the economy would react to something like this. Thanks!

I’m here to protect the game from major problems like this. Any major feature that would affect the economy of the game I’m brought in to help with.

please delete

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

B. tact clearly isn’t my strongest skillset, so I’ll need to continue developing that before any awards are in order.

Say it ain’t so! But seriously, as ye olde saying goes, “sometimes the truth hurts,” amiright?!? Huh, huh?

I think most people appreciate the honesty vs the tact imo.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

please delete

Posted by: Mckeone.9804

Mckeone.9804

B. tact clearly isn’t my strongest skillset, so I’ll need to continue developing that before any awards are in order.

Say it ain’t so! But seriously, as ye olde saying goes, “sometimes the truth hurts,” amiright?!? Huh, huh?

I think most people appreciate the honesty vs the tact imo.

Except the community relations managers that don’t like it when he says mean things about someone’s parents

please delete

Posted by: ConfusedDave.4271

ConfusedDave.4271

Tact is overrated. For some reason games companies have not yet fathomed out that honesty in forum posts wins over Marketing Spin any day of the week! :-)

please delete

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

So I was thinking about the introduction of precurser crafting. I know that John Smith cannot answer specificially concerning such things, but my main concern would be a price shock if/when an annoucnement is made. I would think that even an announcement of such a thing would cause MANY people to rush out and buy up as much T6, Lodestones and whatever else may be thought to be used in such a venture.

My question is would the economy be able to handle such a thing? Would prices climb dramatically for a short period and then stablize? or just spiral upwards out of control? Are these things even considered when discussing the possibily of precurser crafting?

I understand that some of these may not even be able to be discussed in depth, but I am just curious as to how the economy would react to something like this. Thanks!

I think they already have the solution for that issue. Timegates all over the bloody place. If they released precursor crafting tomorrow you could expect to maybe finish your first one same time next year.

please delete

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I think they already have the solution for that issue. Timegates all over the bloody place. If they released precursor crafting tomorrow you could expect to maybe finish your first one same time next year.

Time gates would help, but only if people spend that gated time acquiring the materials.

If everyone just waits until the time gate is up and then has a precursor but none of the other materials then the market would still be jolted, just a year later than it would have without the gate.

Server: Devona’s Rest

please delete

Posted by: IvanTheGrey.2941

IvanTheGrey.2941

@Mr. Smith. Thank you for engaging with us. We’re all really grateful that someone is actually answering questions.

Thank you, and I hope that you are continued to be allowed to interact with your player base.

please delete

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Time gates would help, but only if people spend that gated time acquiring the materials.

If everyone just waits until the time gate is up and then has a precursor but none of the other materials then the market would still be jolted, just a year later than it would have without the gate.

I was referring to the cost of the materials that would be used in crafting the precursor not the the ones for the gifts of whatever. I assumed pdavis was referring to the same. Even if that is not the case it would be pretty much impossible to have none of the other materials while collecting materials for the time gated things. That is unless the ingredients list overlap which would be extremely disappointing.

I would also expect some people to give up part way.

please delete

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I was referring to the cost of the materials that would be used in crafting the precursor not the the ones for the gifts of whatever. I assumed pdavis was referring to the same. Even if that is not the case it would be pretty much impossible to have none of the other materials while collecting materials for the time gated things. That is unless the ingredients list overlap which would be extremely disappointing.

Yeah I was speaking about the supply shock that having all those new precursors would pose to the rest of the legendary crafting process.

They’d have to either boost T6 drop rates or nerf precursor acquisition outside of crafting in order to prevent a massive price spike once the precursor crafting gate expired.

Server: Devona’s Rest

please delete

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Yeah I was speaking about the supply shock that having all those new precursors would pose to the rest of the legendary crafting process.

They’d have to either boost T6 drop rates or nerf precursor acquisition outside of crafting in order to prevent a massive price spike once the precursor crafting gate expired.

I was speaking to both the cost of the mats as well as the supply shock. Presumably one should see an increase of prices. However, if they can anticipate such things, I’m sure that T6 supply would be increased (i.e. inceased drop rates) to help stable out the prices so they don’t go crazy, as well as remove gaining a precurser, if not dramatically lower the drop rate outside of crafting to avoid flooding the market with precursers.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

please delete

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

I would think that even an announcement of such a thing would cause MANY people to rush out and buy up as much T6, Lodestones and whatever else may be thought to be used in such a venture.

My question is would the economy be able to handle such a thing? Would prices climb dramatically for a short period and then stablize? or just spiral upwards out of control?

Rule of thumb of ‘buy on the rumor sell on the news’ should hold, assuming the design isn’t a massive faucet. People will buy up the things you mentioned like crazy on the announcement of precursor crafting, to sell when it actually goes live…and then, on release, they’ll find that the price was bid up by speculators and there are far fewer real customers for those items.

So you’d see them shoot up on the announcement, crash on release, with many of the speculators taking a bath. Yes, the market can handle that just fine.

please delete

pdavis.8031

I would think that even an announcement of such a thing would cause MANY people to rush out and buy up as much T6, Lodestones and whatever else may be thought to be used in such a venture.

My question is would the economy be able to handle such a thing? Would prices climb dramatically for a short period and then stablize? or just spiral upwards out of control?

Rule of thumb of ‘buy on the rumor sell on the news’ should hold, assuming the design isn’t a massive faucet. People will buy up the things you mentioned like crazy on the announcement of precursor crafting, to sell when it actually goes live…and then, on release, they’ll find that the price was bid up by speculators and there are far fewer real customers for those items.

So you’d see them shoot up on the announcement, crash on release, with many of the speculators taking a bath. Yes, the market can handle that just fine.

Aaah gotcha. That makes sense.

recognize my command!”

please delete

Posted by: Supermagnum.3458

Supermagnum.3458

Has anyone ever given you an award for good communication, ie, giving straight answers or, if you don’t have a straight answer, admitting it and explaining why?

No and while I’m here answering questions often, tact clearly isn’t my strongest skillset, so I’ll need to continue developing that before any awards are in order.

Well it’s about time we fixed that.

Attachments:

please delete

Posted by: darko.4501

darko.4501

What if Anet make the crafted version of precursor account bounded.

please delete

Mckeone.9804

Has anyone ever given you an award for good communication, ie, giving straight answers or, if you don’t have a straight answer, admitting it and explaining why?

No and while I’m here answering questions often, tact clearly isn’t my strongest skillset, so I’ll need to continue developing that before any awards are in order.

I heartily endorse this post.

Another serious question:

Do you have different measures of money supply that you track? For example, M1 = all gold in player wallets, M2 = all gold in player wallets + all gold tied up in TP bids, M3 = all gold in player wallets + all gold tied up in TP bids + gold held in the gem exchange?

Also, do you track the value of tradable assets held in player accounts?

please delete

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It wouldn’t matter as it would still affect precursor and other material prices.

please delete

Mckeone.9804

The economy is an ecological system. If you touch one part of it, a ripple extends throughout the entire system. Sometimes it’s hard to anticipate how the system would react, particularly if it changes a variety of incentive structures.

please delete

Posted by: Ask Dons Mop.3601

Ask Dons Mop.3601

Well what do y’all think would be a better idea, using materials that are already in game for precursor crafting that would really shift and cause a bigger ripple , or introducing As entirely new line, maybe the electrum stuff that’s not entirely implemented yet.

“Customers know when there is a problem, but they don’t always know what the best solution is”

please delete

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The best approach would be new legendary weapons with craftable precursors where nothing is used from the existing materials that are used towards crafting current legendary weapons.

Edit: As Wanze mentioned, this discussion topic should be moved to one of the already dozen existing threads.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

please delete

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Well what do y’all think would be a better idea, using materials that are already in game for precursor crafting that would really shift and cause a bigger ripple , or introducing As entirely new line, maybe the electrum stuff that’s not entirely implemented yet.

“Customers know when there is a problem, but they don’t always know what the best solution is”

I think a good idea would be to keep those discussions in a seperate thread.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

please delete

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Depends on what they require. If no account bound or time gated materials are involved in the crafting, then binding the precursor to the account should have a minimal to no effect; players would simply be better off buying the materials to craft it themselves anyway, and prices would reflect that.

If the recipe did make heavy use of account bound or time gated materials, binding the crafted precursor would make a difference, as those account bound resources owned by people who don’t want to make use of the precursor themselves would be idled by account bound precursors. So you’d have a lower supply from crafting and a lower overall impact, but just how much lower I couldn’t say.

please delete

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

I will treasure this.

please delete

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

I heartily endorse this post.

Another serious question:

Do you have different measures of money supply that you track? For example, M1 = all gold in player wallets, M2 = all gold in player wallets + all gold tied up in TP bids, M3 = all gold in player wallets + all gold tied up in TP bids + gold held in the gem exchange?

Also, do you track the value of tradable assets held in player accounts?

Yes, and it is pretty close to what you’re saying, but the manner in which I track is a bit different since we have to apply some weights. For example, accounts that have achieved X or haven’t played in Y time to kitten raw wealth or realistic liquid wealth.

please delete

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

Why was the decision made to allow legendary weapons to be tradable, but make ascended items account-bound?

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

please delete

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

My only real concern with the current economy is that I think the following is a huge flaw, and I would like to see your opinion about it.

The Watchwork Mining Pick, an infinite use mining tool, gives a clear advantage over other infinite mining picks. Big enough, in it’s current shape, that the ‘’Return on Investment’’ is drastically shorter than any other (I don’t really like to use that term and I’ll explain in a bit). The other issue I have is that because watchwork sprockets are a wanted item it will maintain a certain value that I believe will hold for a considerate amount of time. Now this is a good thing, that items are desirable, but I don’t feel like the mining pick should come into this equation.

The reason why I don’t like to use return on investment for an infinite mining pick is because in the original design it was a convenience item. Therefor the return would be irrelevant. However, with the Watchwork Mining Pick it doesn’t feel like this to me.

Can you perhaps share your vision regarding this item?

(edited by eekzie.5640)

please delete

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

^ I’d like to know your thoughts on this, JS. I’ve pretty much accepted that it’s here to stay (and if I’m being totally honest, I’m making a lot of money from my Watchwork Pick so it’s not like I’m complaining TOO hard about it…), but I’m curious to know what the pick might mean for future gem store products going forward. Did you anticipate the controversy it would cause? What factors played a role in the decision to keep it as it was?

please delete

Wanze.8410

Are there still Mystic Forge Recipes/items that havent been discovered yet that are not recipe sheets for food feasts/pots/trays or recipe sheets for satchels/boxes of armor?

Does Zommoros still have some secrets up his djinny sleeve?

please delete

Posted by: IvanTheGrey.2941

IvanTheGrey.2941

Are there still Mystic Forge Recipes/items that havent been discovered yet that are not recipe sheets for food feasts/pots/trays or recipe sheets for satchels/boxes of armor?

Ooooo…. this is a good question! Are there any spiffy weapons/armors that haven’t been discovered yet either?

please delete

Wanze.8410

Ooooo…. this is a good question! Are there any spiffy weapons/armors that haven’t been discovered yet either?

My guess would be that some Transformation Potions havent been discovered yet, weapons are propably all discovered already.

please delete

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

My only real concern with the current economy is that I think the following is a huge flaw, and I would like to see your opinion about it.

The Watchwork Mining Pick, an infinite use mining tool, gives a clear advantage over other infinite mining picks. Big enough, in it’s current shape, that the ‘’Return on Investment’’ is drastically shorter than any other (I don’t really like to use that term and I’ll explain in a bit). The other issue I have is that because watchwork sprockets are a wanted item it will maintain a certain value that I believe will hold for a considerate amount of time. Now this is a good thing, that items are desirable, but I don’t feel like the mining pick should come into this equation.

The reason why I don’t like to use return on investment for an infinite mining pick is because in the original design it was a convenience item. Therefor the return would be irrelevant. However, with the Watchwork Mining Pick it doesn’t feel like this to me.

Can you perhaps share your vision regarding this item?

I’m sorry, I don’t have an answer I can share about this one.

please delete

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

Yes.

please delete

Wanze.8410

Yes.

Is it Mounts?

please delete

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

Yes.

Is it Mounts?

It’s the Christmas present you always wanted, but never received.

please delete

Wanze.8410

Yes.

Is it Mounts?

Easter Eggs!

please delete

pdavis.8031

Yes.

Is it Mounts?

A Red Ryder BB gun with a compass in the stock, and this thing which tells time!?

recognize my command!”

please delete

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

you’ll shoot your eye out, Kid!

– The Baconnaire

please delete

pdavis.8031

you’ll shoot your eye out, Kid!

Awww….

recognize my command!”

please delete

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Is there any hope you can give for the value of Badges of Honor?

I mean, they’ve got to be worth something even if we’ve got thousands of them.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

please delete

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Precursor Crafting!

Ok rich TP fatcats, put your illgotten wealth to good use and start chucking expensive stuff into the MF until a reproducible Precursor recipe is found!

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

please delete

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Yes.

Is it Mounts?

Cantha confirmed everyone. The trick to unlock it is a MF recipe.

please delete

Posted by: Jandopo.2107

Jandopo.2107

Capes? Cloaks?

please delete

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

Just wanted to drop in and say kudos to John for actually engaging with the players and acting like a real person. Really appreciate it, and it’s great to see someone from anet actually chatting with us like real people whether it’s feedback, questions, whining or just banter.

please delete

Posted by: Ossus.9231

Ossus.9231

I think the secret recipe is for a very special gilded sink, which would allow an individual player to single-handedly keep the economy balanced.

please delete

Posted by: CyClotroniC.4957

CyClotroniC.4957

So it’s a pony!

Necros need more love… seriously. – http://necroaming.tumblr.com/

please delete

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

So it’s a pony!

No of course its world peace…

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

please delete

Posted by: joritzel.8015

joritzel.8015

Was the missing receipe buggy since beta and got fixed by now?

please delete

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

Yes.

Is it Mounts?

Great, now I have to figure out what could possibly be the recipe for a Hummer Power Wheels.

please delete

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

Yes.

Is it Mounts?

Please don’t do that. Don’t create a hype, if there is none. It’s bad enough that we have had a fair share of disappointments with certain developers own dubious hype. Like the Final Rest mysterious drop location, or what we got in the Thaumanova Reactor fractal.

please delete

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

Please don’t do that. Don’t create a hype, if there is none. It’s bad enough that we have had a fair share of disappointments with certain developers own dubious hype. Like the Final Rest mysterious drop location, or what we got in the Thaumanova Reactor fractal.

I think he was just being silly. He was asked whether there are hidden recipes that haven’t been found, and he said, yes, which of course there would be. There has never been a better spot I can think of in any game to hide easter eggs.

Either that or precursor forging has existed for the last year and we just aren’t smart enough to have unlocked it. That’s why they won’t tell us, they’re disappointed in us. :-(

(edited by wwwes.1398)

please delete

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

I think he was just being silly. He was asked whether there are hidden recipes that haven’t been found, and he said, yes, which of course there would be. There has never been a better spot I can think of in any game to hide easter eggs.

Either that or precursor forging has existed for the last year and we just aren’t smart enough to have unlocked it. That’s why they won’t tell us, they’re disappointed in us. :-(

I hope that’s the case, but you know people are going to take john’s words a bit more literal. When they get there and they find something verily minuscule it will create a backlash like always.