Keys are not worth 80 cents, nor 5 gold.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

And they never have been. The stuff that you can get out of a Black Lion chest are mostly junk, and yet I have about 80 of them with not nearly enough keys to open them. Currently, Black Lion Keys are on “sale” for 80 cents each, or 5 gold each if you convert gold to gems. I have never received either 80 cents worth or 5 gold worth out of a Black Lion chest, even when that chest contains a new key (which hasn’t happened to me since beta). Even at the sale price it would cost me $64 to clear my inventory of chests, or 427 gold, which is the cost of almost any two precursors, and about 15 times more gold than I’ve ever accumulated between all my characters.

ANet needs to drastically and permanently alter the cost/value balance of black lion keys, so that a player can reasonably afford to open all the chests he receives. Here are some suggestions:
A: make gold far more common, deflating the economy, such that spending 5 gold on a key is as casual as deciding to take a waypoint someplace, mere pocket change.
B: make gems far cheaper to buy with gold, so that would take perhaps only around 10s to purchase the 60 gems needed to buy one key on “sale”.
C: make keys cost way fewer gems, so that you could spend around 10s on enough gems to buy a key.
D: Make the contents of the chest guaranteed to be worth far more than they currently are, like at least one non-consumable goodie. There is not one item I’ve found in a Black Lion chest that I would pay even 1g for on the TP, so asking 1.25g per item is a bit silly.
F: Make chests drop far less common, so that you rarely find more chest than you do keys. Based on current rates that would have to be around 1/50th as common. Of course, you’d also need a temporary method to let players clear their existing inventory.
G: Make a permanent recipe similar to the Mad King’s Chest that allows you to combine four chests into one “super chest” that has a much higher rate of quality drops and a much lower rate of consumables, so that the total contents of the “super chest” would be well worth the 20g it would cost. Maybe a precursor or several exotics.

I like C and D the best, but any of them would do. Does anyone else have better ideas?

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Dredg.4890

Dredg.4890

I’d say you’re underestimating the value of boosters. I love them.

Also, you can get Black Lion keys inside chests.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ohoni.6057

I’d say you’re underestimating the value of boosters. I love them.

Boosters only last a short time. I would never pay 1.25 gold for any sort of temporary boost, unless it was like a half hour of invulnerability or something.

Also, you can get Black Lion keys inside chests.

Theoretically, I got a few during beta but not even once since launch. Even if I did get a key tough, that key wouldn’t be worth 1.25 gold either. Unless you got a stack of 5 keys at least half the time when opening a chest, paying 1.25g per key at the gem store is still not worth it.

done by now.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mousethecat.1835

Mousethecat.1835

If they change the chests too much (making them cheaper, having better rewards, whatever…), all the people who bought the keys before will feel cheated and then whine about that. I think Anet wants to avoid that. A decent solution would be to introduce an alternate item (Like the consortium chests, but those sucked too. So I guess Anet can’t get it right no matter what).

Or better yet. Just don’t buy the keys, sell the chests on the TP, and don’t think about them ever again.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Payback.4526

Payback.4526

If they change the chests too much (making them cheaper, having better rewards, whatever…), all the people who bought the keys before will feel cheated and then whine about that. I think Anet wants to avoid that. A decent solution would be to introduce an alternate item (Like the consortium chests, but those sucked too. So I guess Anet can’t get it right no matter what).

Or better yet. Just don’t buy the keys, sell the chests on the TP, and don’t think about them ever again.

Precursors for free for Thousands and Thousands of people / cost less on the TP then a lot of ppl spend building them.

Exotics getting useless and so on.

People allready feel cheated, so there is no Reason for not giving em another slap in the face.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ohoni.6057

If they change the chests too much (making them cheaper, having better rewards, whatever…), all the people who bought the keys before will feel cheated and then whine about that.

Sure, but they shouldn’t have gypped them in the first place, and they shouldn’t continue to rip people off just because they’ve ripped people off in the past. Two wrongs don’t make a right. If they can figure out a way to make it right for those people then great, but that shouldn’t prevent them from making things better moving forward. MMOs constantly make it easier to achieve things that once took a great deal of investment, it’s just the progression of the game.

done by now.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: skotie.2614

skotie.2614

Question why in god’s name can’t thief’s have a skill to picklocks? If not a useable skill that can be used to also open chests for others at least a skill that allows you to open your own locked boxed. What is the good lore reason that a “Thief” by profession decided that they would learn poisons, backstabbing, camouflage/stealth abilities or tricks as you might call them, common bandit type weapon skills…. O but opening locked boxes that contain treasure? Nah why would they want to do that?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Serenity.6149

Serenity.6149

While I agree with you that keys (and boosters, for that matter) are overpriced…

Option A would not work the way you think it does. If you add a ton of gold into the market, that would only cause massive inflation. This “80 cents to 5 gold” rate would just go up as well, and then you’d be unhappy about each key costing 25 gold each.

Option B… they’re not going to make everything in their Gem Store cost essentially nothing. That’s how they’re making money. It would be more realistic to ask for a price adjustment to the keys, but not to the extent that you’re asking (10 silver is crazy).

BTW, I’d like to note that your initial argument is flawed because you’re basing your gem to gold rate off of bannable real money transactions. The current in-game rate for 62.4 gems is ~62 silver and not the 5 gold you quote. While you’re entitled to make your cost analysis (for yourself) using methods that are against the TOS, it is silly to assume ANet should price their products accordingly with something they specifically do not allow.

Also, if you have tons of chests saved up, well, there’s no requirement that you open them all. Chests, like everything else in this game, are a commodity traded on the TP, and as you can see from the sell orders, they’re not worth very much (8 copper each right now). What you’re presenting is not very different from saying “the price on fine mats should be lowered because for me to use up all my _ ore, I’d have to spend _, which is crazy.” Just sell what you can’t use and be done with it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Serenity.6149

Question why in god’s name can’t thief’s have a skill to picklocks? If not a useable skill that can be used to also open chests for others at least a skill that allows you to open your own locked boxed. What is the good lore reason that a “Thief” by profession decided that they would learn poisons, backstabbing, camouflage/stealth abilities or tricks as you might call them, common bandit type weapon skills…. O but opening locked boxes that contain treasure? Nah why would they want to do that?

Why can’t my Necromancer raise a guildmate from the dead and force them to obey my will? Why can’t my Mesmer turn enemies into kittens instead of moas? Why can’t my Warrior face-tank bosses without dodging like in other games? You just can’t. =P

in Black Lion Trading Co

skotie.2614

@Serenity Not saying I want special skills here, what are in those boxes usually aren’t worth very much anyways, all thief classes in all game are mostly concerned about theirself and money not knowing lockpicking is just absurd. The only good reason we can’t is because they would rather force us to buy them off their in game store. Say I’m lieing lol please…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Serenity.6149

@Serenity Not saying I want special skills here, what are in those boxes usually aren’t worth very much anyways, all thief classes in all game are mostly concerned about theirself and money not knowing lockpicking is just absurd. The only good reason we can’t is because they would rather force us to buy them off their in game store. Say I’m lieing lol please…

Think about it this way. There is no lock-picking because all the in-game chests are already unlocked. While this makes thieves feel unloved, oh well, everyone’s envious of your shadowstepping anyway.

The Black Lion chests should not be considered in-game chests but cash shop items. If thieves were allowed to acquire cash shop items for free, how do you think all the other professions will react?

The chests are only distributed in game to lure people into buying keys. Whether or not they should do this or whether or not the contents are valuable are different questions altogether. They’re not valuable to me, but all that means is I don’t spend on the boosters/keys; it doesn’t mean they should be given to thieves for free (and I have a thief myself as well).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Duplicated.4715

Duplicated.4715

If by that you mean a skill to picklock the BLC, then what’s the point of having keys for sale in the first place? Leveling is such a joke in this game that it takes almost zero effort (with relatively small amount of money, you can level from 1 to 80 without leaving the town, not even once). Everyone would just make their own thieves and start burning through all of those couple hundred thousands BLCs sitting in the TP.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

Why are you fixated on the chests? They drop as marketing tools to remind you that you can buy keys nothing more. Just like ads before a movie remind you that you can get popcorn. If you don’t like to have them just sell them on the tp as soon as you get them. If/when you get a key you can buy a chest back. (you’ll barely lose 1 copper)

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

in Black Lion Trading Co

skotie.2614

@ Duplicated and that would be a problem because? What then you might not have a large stack of unopened chests which you need to buy keys for off the in game store sitting in your bank?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: PapercutCarnage.1736

PapercutCarnage.1736

And they never have been. The stuff that you can get out of a Black Lion chest are mostly junk, and yet I have about 80 of them with not nearly enough keys to open them. Currently, Black Lion Keys are on “sale” for 80 cents each, or 5 gold each if you convert gold to gems. I have never received either 80 cents worth or 5 gold worth out of a Black Lion chest, even when that chest contains a new key (which hasn’t happened to me since beta). Even at the sale price it would cost me $64 to clear my inventory of chests, or 427 gold, which is the cost of almost any two precursors, and about 15 times more gold than I’ve ever accumulated between all my characters.

ANet needs to drastically and permanently alter the cost/value balance of black lion keys, so that a player can reasonably afford to open all the chests he receives. Here are some suggestions:
A: make gold far more common, deflating the economy, such that spending 5 gold on a key is as casual as deciding to take a waypoint someplace, mere pocket change.
B: make gems far cheaper to buy with gold, so that would take perhaps only around 10s to purchase the 60 gems needed to buy one key on “sale”.
C: make keys cost way fewer gems, so that you could spend around 10s on enough gems to buy a key.
D: Make the contents of the chest guaranteed to be worth far more than they currently are, like at least one non-consumable goodie. There is not one item I’ve found in a Black Lion chest that I would pay even 1g for on the TP, so asking 1.25g per item is a bit silly.
F: Make chests drop far less common, so that you rarely find more chest than you do keys. Based on current rates that would have to be around 1/50th as common. Of course, you’d also need a temporary method to let players clear their existing inventory.
G: Make a permanent recipe similar to the Mad King’s Chest that allows you to combine four chests into one “super chest” that has a much higher rate of quality drops and a much lower rate of consumables, so that the total contents of the “super chest” would be well worth the 20g it would cost. Maybe a precursor or several exotics.

I like C and D the best, but any of them would do. Does anyone else have better ideas?

I think you are asking for a lot just based on “I have too many chests that I can’t open.” I agree that key prices are too high, but I don’t think they need to, “cost way fewer gems”. I would have been happy with their current sale if they had just reduced their 5 pack of keys by 50% rather than making a bundle of 25. Their so-called, “50% off” is based on if you were buying one key at a time. Cheaper keys would be nice, not way cheaper, just not happy with being forced to spend close to $20 to get a THIRTY PERCENT off deal. The way it is currently, I would still be more inclined to buy their overpriced 5 pack of keys than their “black friday deal”.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: PapercutCarnage.1736

PapercutCarnage.1736

@ Duplicated and that would be a problem because? What then you might not have a large stack of unopened chests which you need to buy keys for off the in game store sitting in your bank?

There is a simple answer. Money. Anet makes a ton of money off of black lion chests by requiring you to either purchase the keys or do some personal storyline to acquire them. It’s the whole reason they are in the game in the first place. Keys are probably their biggest money maker other than people buying gems to convert to gold. Not a horrible idea, but not a realistic one either. I would be all for an easier, cheaper method of opening those kitten things.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ohoni.6057

Option A would not work the way you think it does. If you add a ton of gold into the market, that would only cause massive inflation. This “80 cents to 5 gold” rate would just go up as well, and then you’d be unhappy about each key costing 25 gold each.

To a point, but it would at least reduce the fixed costs in the game, for example the cost of waypoints, repairs, etc. would become negligible, which would make it easier to accumulate money. I agree that it’s the weakest of the options but I had to get it out there.

Option B… they’re not going to make everything in their Gem Store cost essentially nothing. That’s how they’re making money. It would be more realistic to ask for a price adjustment to the keys, but not to the extent that you’re asking (10 silver is crazy).

Again, I agree it’s not the likeliest solution, but it is one possible solution. And no, I don’t believe 10 silver per key is at all unreasonable, given what comes out of them. I rarely have opened a chest and received anything that I would pay more than a few silver for The target should be for no higher than 50 silver per key, and even that’s a bit excessive. That would still end up costing me twice as much golds as I’ve ever accumulated to get through my stack of chests.

BTW, I’d like to note that your initial argument is flawed because you’re basing your gem to gold rate off of bannable real money transactions.

No, I’m basing them entirely off of the official gem price and gold prices, all above board. If I were talking about buying “illicit” gold then I assume that the prices would be far more reasonable than what I quoted, I have no idea what the price of gold is on the black market by I assume that it’s better than the 1 gold = $1.20 rate that ANet offers.

The current in-game rate for 62.4 gems is ~62 silver and not the 5 gold you quote.

Not true. It sometimes displays that way, but if you actually try to transact at that price, it jumps to 80 silver per. Either that or the market is so volatile that it can swing by 20 silver every few seconds. GW Spikitteneps track of the current market value (ingame), and according to their data it hasn’t been below 70 since before the Lost Shores event, and is on a constantly upward trend (with minor spikes).

The Black Lion chests should not be considered in-game chests but cash shop items. If thieves were allowed to acquire cash shop items for free, how do you think all the other professions will react?

If Black Lion Chests are meant to be considered cash shop items then you should only be able to buy them in the cash shop. They should not drop in the open world, or at least not any more frequently than keys do.

There is a simple answer. Money. Anet makes a ton of money off of black lion chests by requiring you to either purchase the keys or do some personal storyline to acquire them

This is their darkest monetization channel though. It’s the most gambling, and least valuable thing you can buy with gems. They should feel shame if they make more money off of black lion keys than they do from other options, because that means they’ve done something wrong (morally, I mean, not capitalistically). There’s another thread around here where someone talks about spending $200 real cash money dollars on keys and not getting what he wanted. That isn’t criminal, but it really should be. ANet should be going out of their way to discourage that sort of thing. I’ve spent about $40 or so after launch, and will likely spend more over time, but I did so buying things of actual persistent value, like character slots, bank slots, stuff like that. If they want to sell tangible goods for high prices then that’s fine, but even slot machines are a better value than the Black Lion Chests at the current prices.

done by now.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

Consider that the items you get from chests are also for sale on the shop (or usually are, anyway). If they reduced the price of keys too much, that would completely devalue the items that are inside the chests which can also be bought with gems. That’s the real reason why keys are expensive – they can’t be too cost effective or the other items in the shop are left to gather dust.

Basically the issue is the random factor – they have to make it so that, ultimately, using keys is not a cheaper method than buying the items directly, based on the chance of items dropping. Making keys cheaper would do just that. You can get items that cost 300 gems (black lion salvage kits) with keys. If a key cost only 10 silver, they’d also have to severely nerf the drop rates of the more expensive things… making keys useless again.

I do think they could be a bit cheaper. I wouldn’t spend money on keys, myself, and I’m not a fan of the chests either.

I would like chests more if all the drops had more or less the same intrinsic value (e.g. the same price in the gem shop), same drop rate, and weren’t account bound. That way, you wouldn’t be stuck with things you don’t want. Could trade with other people and so forth. Or just get some of your money back in TP value.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Duplicated.4715

Duplicated.4715

There is a simple answer. Money. Anet makes a ton of money off of black lion chests by requiring you to either purchase the keys or do some personal storyline to acquire them. It’s the whole reason they are in the game in the first place. Keys are probably their biggest money maker other than people buying gems to convert to gold. Not a horrible idea, but not a realistic one either. I would be all for an easier, cheaper method of opening those kitten things.

@skotie: this guy just nailed it (was playing the game and didn’t bother to check the forum). It is Anet’s primary way of making money, probably more so than skins/transmut stones/etc.
The one reason it might not be as successful as they think (the “buy keys and get your shinies” scheme) is because of the horrible RNG associated with these chests which, couple with the price of key being at 125 gems, makes it a rather unappealing item, especially when one considers the fact that it involves real currency.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ohoni.6057

Consider that the items you get from chests are also for sale on the shop (or usually are, anyway). If they reduced the price of keys too much, that would completely devalue the items that are inside the chests which can also be bought with gems. That’s the real reason why keys are expensive – they can’t be too cost effective or the other items in the shop are left to gather dust.

The only things you can get out of chests are the consumables. You can’t get the permanent stuff like Town Clothes, character slots, bank slots, inventory slots, minis, none of the good stuff anyways.

If a key cost only 10 silver, they’d also have to severely nerf the drop rates of the more expensive things… making keys useless again.

Not really, they would still tear through my surplus chests.

I would like chests more if all the drops had more or less the same intrinsic value (e.g. the same price in the gem shop), same drop rate, and weren’t account bound. That way, you wouldn’t be stuck with things you don’t want. Could trade with other people and so forth. Or just get some of your money back in TP value.

Yeah, basically they should be fair. Like there shouldn’t be ANY change of getting anything great. Zero chance of a permanent consumable, zero chance of a costume piece or whatever they had going on during Halloween, all that does is reward the lucky and punish the gambling addicts. The chests should only contain a random assortment of consumables, and be priced so that they’d cost slightly less than if you purchased those same consumables ala cart (since it’d be luck of the draw), but even if you didn’t get what you wanted, it’d be fair.

If they want to have containers that have random costume pieces and stuff in them, then they can do that too, but they should contain ONLY that sort of thing, so that you can buy a “box o costumes” or whatever, and not get a dump of speed boosters and killstreaks, but instead just get costume pieces.

done by now.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Numot.3965

Numot.3965

If they took out the tonics and replaced them with something else, preferably cosmetic items I would love them.

The boosters are useful, but you need to set up a situation to use them. The tools are fine too. The tonics are just worthless. If you could combine them into an endless one, ok, but otherwise just blehhhhh.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ohoni.6057

The thing with the boosters is that they are too “precious.” They fall into that annoying gray area where they cost too much to just throw away, to use an XP booster when you don’t intend to spend the next hour making the most kills you can, but they cost so much that you can’t rack up a ton of them. I mean, food items I keep up constantly because I have way more of them than I need, but boosters just take up space in my inventory in stacks of 2-4 each, never getting used because I don’t want to waste them. If I had stacks of 10-20 of them then I would keep them up constantly, but they’re far too expensive for that.

done by now.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

Unable to quote right now, but yes, you can only get the consumables – most of these are still sold in the shop, though (I’d call the black lion salvage kit and the fine transmutation stones good stuff, in any case), so they do need to make it so the keys’ prices don’t nuke the chances of those items selling. I do agree that most of what the chest drops is useless, don’t get me wrong – I’m just saying that making keys very cheap would compromise sales for items that can also be gotten with gems. In particular I think fine transmutation stones, crafting boosters and black lion salvage kits are good chest drops, but ymmv.

That said I would love something like a costume box, provided I could trade for the costumes so I could get the ones I wasn’t lucky enough to get, and that all costumes had the exact same drop rate instead of some costumes being rarer than others. That’s what really crushes the value of chests for me.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Dungin.2983

Dungin.2983

The information is out there on keys. IF you don’t want to buy them …don’t buy them? I stopped after the Halloween fiasco and vetted the consortium chests to figure out they were no go. Now, BLC do have nice boosters in them that are not available individually, so if you desire those they aren’t so bad.

For people looking for a quick buck it is a no-go though. Consortium chests are worse IMO.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Grumpy.8365

Grumpy.8365

I don’t understand the argument of why ALL BLCs need to be opened, or why it needs to be possible — the argument that seems to make appearance frequently. You do know you can just throw them out, sell or buy, right?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ohoni.6057

I do agree that most of what the chest drops is useless, don’t get me wrong – I’m just saying that making keys very cheap would compromise sales for items that can also be gotten with gems.

Sure, but the question is whether sales on those items should be compromised. Those are not the products that ANet should be basing their returns on.

I don’t understand the argument of why ALL BLCs need to be opened, or why it needs to be possible — the argument that seems to make appearance frequently. You do know you can just throw them out, sell or buy, right?

If that were the case then they shouldn’t keep showing up in my inventory. I shouldn’t keep receiving containers if I’m not intended to be able to open them. That’s just a game design foul.

done by now.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cod Eye.1632

Cod Eye.1632

What I considered naughty on Anets part is that during the Beta event they included Min-pets within these chests, giving us the impression this is what those chests will contain during release. In some respect this was false advertising as they knew this would go by word of mouth and would support fans of the game evidence to the initial naysayers that told us the chests would contain nothing but junk.

Unfortunately now the naysayers have proved themselves correct and made all us look like idiots for supporting these chests in the first place.

“Hey I swung a sword, Hey Hey I swung a sword again,”

“After several hours I’m still swinging this sword with1 lodestone drop”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Just a quick weigh in regarding the surplus of chests.

The surplus of chests is necessary and will always continue. If there wasn’t a surplus, ANET would potentially sell less keys with no corresponding payoff. The chests must always be much easier to get than keys, so people feel more enticed to get keys (or more keys) to open them.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ohoni.6057

The surplus of chests is necessary and will always continue. If there wasn’t a surplus, ANET would potentially sell less keys with no corresponding payoff. The chests must always be much easier to get than keys, so people feel more enticed to get keys (or more keys) to open them.

Nowhere close. I have 85 chests. I’ve earned a total of maybe ten keys through gameplay activities. That isn’t even remotely right. You’re in the right direction, of course we should have more chests than keys, but it should be more like 60:40, not closer to 10:1.

done by now.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

If they change the chests too much (making them cheaper, having better rewards, whatever…), all the people who bought the keys before will feel cheated and then whine about that.

Sure, but they shouldn’t have gypped them in the first place, and they shouldn’t continue to rip people off just because they’ve ripped people off in the past. Two wrongs don’t make a right. If they can figure out a way to make it right for those people then great, but that shouldn’t prevent them from making things better moving forward. MMOs constantly make it easier to achieve things that once took a great deal of investment, it’s just the progression of the game.

No one is being ripped off. Your language is pretty melodramatic for no good reason.

There is an old expression going back to Roman times. Caveat Emptor. Let the buyer beware. It is your responsibility to do research before you plunk down any cash. If you spend money on keys, and the items in the chest are not something you find worthwhile, don’t do it again.

There need be no changes made to any of the chests. Just because you feel they are not worth owning is no reason to say " OMG I think these items suck..therefore they suck." They suck for YOU.

If it turns out too many people feel as you do, then Anet will know, and change things on their own. If they don’t it’s because most people do not agree with you.

If you personally do not think opening a chest has any value to you beyond " 10 s a key." then either do not buy keys off the gem store, or sell your chests and as someone earlier said… be done with it.

No one is forcing you to buy gem keys for those chests. Relax, play the game in a way from which you can derive enjoyment. Life is too short to complain about what you cannot change.

Anet will either see that you are right, or wrong, based on key sales. If you are right, they will change things On their own even if yo9u don’t whi-..I mean post about it in the forums…

If you are wrong, you can post until next Christmas, and nothing will be changed. I do see the value of venting though… but.. I feel that si the ONLY value you will derive from Posting about this.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

I do agree that most of what the chest drops is useless, don’t get me wrong – I’m just saying that making keys very cheap would compromise sales for items that can also be gotten with gems.

Sure, but the question is whether sales on those items should be compromised. Those are not the products that ANet should be basing their returns on.

If that were the case then they shouldn’t keep showing up in my inventory. I shouldn’t keep receiving containers if I’m not intended to be able to open them. That’s just a game design foul.

Sorry for the double post. You keep making arguments that sound like." I don’t like this… this needs to change because…I don’t like it."

As someone said, there is a market for the chests. If you find zero value in them, sell them. Think of them as that dumb grey crap vendor trash items you get as mob loot.

Your post screams of entitlement. " I should be able to open ALL My chests cheap!!!" why? “I should ONLY get as many chests as i get keys!!!” Aagain why? If this were possible there would be no demand for keys and they would not sell on the Gem shop.

“They are not worth much, because… they are not worth much to ME!!!” Again,… why?
They may not be worth much to you, but I am sure they have value to others. You are not the entire market.

Then you come here, fairly regularly it seems to complain.

Stop complaining, and sell the chests On the TP. Give them to friends, destroy them.

If you don’t place any value in them, sell them to someone that gives them value.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.