New Gem conversion| My analysis on it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tiriyon.8735

Tiriyon.8735

I see a lot of rage around the new Gem to gold/ Gold to Gem conversion system, and for a right reason.

This system, if twisted around (sell 400 gems for x amount of gold and buy with 1 gold instead rates) will be better for the economy instead of how it is now.
Buying 400 gems balk is very hurtful for gem rates. Now players will be forced to buy 400 gems at once instead of being able to buy few at a time. This will end up raising the gem prices to sky rocketing highs.

If it was the other way around, it would force gem sellers to sell 400 gems on a bulk, resulting in lowering the gem prices.

Any way looking at it, this change unbalance the gem conversion rates.

Is it something that will make me rage over so hard and leave the game? we’ll see in the future “fixes” or patches ANet is throwing at us.

Can I live with it? only for now. Gem rates will skyrocket, making the entire BLTC unbalanced, resulting in gold inflation, higher prices, and overall rant.

I really start to doubt the whole Idea of CDI, and if these changes are made by listening to player base on these forums and on Reddit, please, ANet stop listening to us.
You made a great game without listening to us.

If it’s a money greed resulting from growing pressure from NCsoft…. Please ANet release yourselves from NCsoft’s grasp in some way!

I really have hope about this game, but as it progress I lose bits of this hope.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

they can’t. they are owned by ncsoft. does your toaster have the possibility to free itself from you?
all is vain, hope is lost. that you have any just shows your detachment from reality. for us this game is a way to kill time, for anets employees it’s their income and for ncsoft it’s a way to milk us monetarily. that won’t change, this is how business works. the more players leave due to understanding they are being milked without getting much in return / wandering off to games where they are being milked less or get more content for being milked the more anet will be forced by ncsoft to implement systems to milk the remaining players even more in order to keep up with the revenue until it reaches a breakpoint and gw2 stops being lucrative and the investments from ncsoft will be moved to another lucrative project. this will either be another game by anet or anet will have to release more and more employees in order to keep running.

there is one very important change from “back in the days” gamers need to understand. 15-20 years ago games might have been produced to offer entertainment because they were a niche-product in society. nowadays they are like any other mainstream product: designed to produce maximum revenue with minimal investment.
go for it or leave it be. pleading to a subsidiary 100% dependent on their publisher/investor won’t change a thing. anet is powerless, ncsoft doesn’t care since they have more in their portfolio than gw2. that’s how the economic system works. in the mass the customer is lost in the statistic.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Not sure why you felt you needed to start another thread on this issue, when it’s already been resolved.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Lets-talk-about-the-new-Gem-conversion-Merged/page/34#post4507962

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Tiriyon.8735

Wow zaced, you really are angry oO.

Light shed on farther ANet’s plans on this issue:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2k1nly/anet_is_reverting_the_gem_update/

And back to Zaced, back in the day, you’d pay sub, some people may say cash shop isn’t the best business plan ever, but man gem store as it is now is way better then the rest I’ve seen so far. Subscription? I don’t care about subscription, I find it better then cash shop, because then all these items you buy on gem store now can be rewards for in game stuff. BUT, gw2 isn’t about grinding, nonetheless players grind their brains out, and that’s ok because that’s what MMO players do anyway. You can’t go and make everyone happy.

And Yes, I believe ANet can get itself out of NCsoft’s ownership, there are contracts and contracts have time gate or money gate. ANet is a company of it’s own and NCsoft is only the publisher, you can look at ANet as some NASCAR racer with lot’s of coca cola or other companies tags on his jacket and car. But that’s what it is. (not in the advertising bit but in way that NCsoft pays a sum to ANet and receives the money made by gem store [I think that’s how it works]).

Now hope, yes I have hope, infect my hope is so large that I actually pay 10$ a month, not in sake of the gems alone, but as a token of my appreciation. Yes, there have been some mistakes made along way, like the NPE we like the rant so much. But look a bit on the past of GW2… Players ranted that LS is a one time thing and that you must get on it when it’s up, also add the ranting about the frequency, and how the content was not satisfying enough. and we got an instanced story mode that is being released slowly and people rant about that too.

Players will rant, that’s what players do, they want more, they want better.
Heck! Players are asking for “Hardcore” content, I bet then when this will come, if, Players will rant on how hard it is and how they want more casual stuff.

“Milk the players”- I don’t think the gem store is milking players in any way. I said the new transition will make the economy unstable. Yes I showed up some irrelevant personal feeling that grow in me, and to be fair, these feelings only growing by listening to others. If I’d just play the game and have no concern what so ever what anyone else think, I would never have come to a conclusion that “hey this NPE sucks” “This Gem rates are ridiculous”. The gem store is only aesthetic, yes as any other aspect of this game is, but it’s irrelevant for you playing experience. Sure there are some convenience in the gem store, like more bags, more bank space and larger material deposit. Sure you can pay a load of money to have some gold. But if you look at this on the content only player’s perspective, you’d log in, do the LW content, do some achies and then leave. And that’s ok! If you’d look on the casual social player, you’d log in do the daily, chat with /m or guild and log off. Having this skin or that skin isn’t beneficial at all.

Yes this game have a huge problem with reward system that’s true.
Will you spend 4 hours in a raid just to get the top gear item just that in some months from then you’d have to do the same for bigger and bigger stat number?

All in all, gw2 still rest hope in me. Why?
*Because of it’s combat mechanics which are fun to play hours on ours with.
*Because of the fact that I’m not tied to it, I don’t pay sub (well I do but it doesn’t bother me as much as in other games).
*Because of the fact that every thing is a huge party and no activity ties me into some schedule (sure guild missions and PvP groups maybe WvW, but you can look at it as the hardcore, and it doesn’t affect me personally).

So that’s all I had to say about Zaced Comment, wow I went over OP.

Edit: Smooth Penguin, I’m sorry, I looked this over and couldn’t find anything that reflects my thoughts on the issue only until now.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

Wow zaced, you really are angry oO.

how am i angry? i just gave a n explanation why anet can’t free itself from ncsoft. yes, there are contracts but a subsidiary is neither gated by time nor money. and i bet the amount needed to buy anet from ncsoft is more than the companies worth atm (that might change if gw2 or any future project of anet goes down the gutter). since anet gets it’s money from ncsoft i doubt they have the money to buy themselves free. also i doubt they even would want to. not having to look for investors has it’s benefits.

anet is not a company on it’s own, it’s a subsidiary of ncsoft which means ncsoft owns more than 50% of anets stock, so anet doesn’t even have the power to decide anything like being bought or buying themselves. that is decided by a conglomerate of 51% or more stock owners which atm is ncsoft. anet is not a nascar racer and the more of your post i read the less i think you actually know either the details of this economical arrangement or how this thing works as a whole. yes, ncsoft is also anets publisher but it’s also anets owner. they bought anet in 2002.

what you think or not doesn’t matter. gaming is a business and investors will always look for the highest gain. that’s not a critique that’s a fact. also what makes this game worthwhile doesn’t matter for a purely economical analysis.

and yes, they are taking it back. this wasn’t the first milking system introduced and also not the first taken back. since they run on a “new” business model they have to test things like this. seems like the risk of losing players is too high for the calculated gain. at least atm. since it will take some time to reverse it, they’ll still earn on it (although only temporarily now) while cutting off the kittenstorm with the promise to reverse it. now they know their customers react allergic to this specific change (at least atm, boiling frog and such) and have temporarily made some shinies on the way. win-win.

you’re naive if you think such decisions aren’t calculated thoroughly and made without weighing customer satisfaction (= willingness to spend money) against revenue from milking systems. voluntary gain vs. forced gain is always a factor in such a decision.

(edited by zaced.7948)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Tiriyon.8735

Excuse me for thinking you were angry, that’s what I felt coming from your words on the previous comment.
Yes, I don’t know how NCsoft- ANet business relationship works.
No, I’m not naive thinking business decisions are calculated on profit, that’s a fact in any product, unless it’s a free product (all products not just games).

My point was Trading Post view only and how it will affect it, the rest of the topic was emotional mumble I just puked on the way. And beg your pardon for it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

ANet is owned by NCSOFT. However there’s been murmurs that NCSOFT can’t close ANet, only divest it and in that case ANet keeps the Guild Wars IP. Also ANet does seem to exercise a greater degree of control than other NCSOFT entities. Things like striking it’s own deal for a distributor in China, hiring it’s own PR firm for the GW2 launch and publicly correcting the mothership every time an expansion was brought up in an investor’s conference call.

NCSOFT’s problem overall is they have been using “puffery” over the last 5 plus years whenever they talked about income growth. First that Blade & Soul was going to be the next AION, it wasn’t. That licencing in China was going to be a significant new source of income, it hasn’t. And finally enough disillusioned investors had enough and that has led to it’s stock price collapse. Stock price doesn’t hurt a company directly and it’s market value is still in the billions (~3 billion USD).

Now in that mess comes ANet with GW2. It had a huge roll out and it’s annual income is 2nd in terms of percentage for NCSOFT. The western developed MMOs NCSOFT closed over the years had earnings that were a fraction of what GW2 is currently making.

Now if you want to analyze the new Gem Exchange for nefarious motives, it may be that players didn’t keep a significant Gem balance, converting just enough for their needs at the time and therefore not sinking as much gold as they could. The hot dog/bun structure of item prices and purchase sizes virtually guaranteed players would have left over gems, which are worthless in the Gem Shop because it’s not enough and worthless in exchanging it back into gold because of the asymmetric exchange rate. And there’s a bonus that cumulative excess of extra gems being purchased spikes the exchange rate up so more gold is sequestered while the price of gold becomes more attractive.

But no more if this tin foil hat conspiracy that these changes were demanded by NCSOFT or Nexon or the Gnomes of Zurich.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I see a lot of rage around the new Gem to gold/ Gold to Gem conversion system, and for a right reason.

This system, if twisted around (sell 400 gems for x amount of gold and buy with 1 gold instead rates) will be better for the economy instead of how it is now.
Buying 400 gems balk is very hurtful for gem rates. Now players will be forced to buy 400 gems at once instead of being able to buy few at a time. This will end up raising the gem prices to sky rocketing highs.

If it was the other way around, it would force gem sellers to sell 400 gems on a bulk, resulting in lowering the gem prices.

Any way looking at it, this change unbalance the gem conversion rates.

Is it something that will make me rage over so hard and leave the game? we’ll see in the future “fixes” or patches ANet is throwing at us.

Can I live with it? only for now. Gem rates will skyrocket, making the entire BLTC unbalanced, resulting in gold inflation, higher prices, and overall rant.

I really start to doubt the whole Idea of CDI, and if these changes are made by listening to player base on these forums and on Reddit, please, ANet stop listening to us.
You made a great game without listening to us.

If it’s a money greed resulting from growing pressure from NCsoft…. Please ANet release yourselves from NCsoft’s grasp in some way!

I really have hope about this game, but as it progress I lose bits of this hope.

You lost me at gold inflation.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.