On the Topic of the Unid Exchange Program

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TheDeparted.8013

TheDeparted.8013

Something has been lingering in the back of my mind as I read through all of the “people exploiting this offer of 1 unid for each already unlocked dye on your account are going to make so much cash monies” posts.

Let’s say I have 5 characters on my account and I want to unlock a dye on all 5 to get 4 unidentified dyes plus the color. Most people aren’t going this far, but let’s pretend I’m extreme and have a ton of free time on my hands. I buy said dye on the TP for 15 silver on all 5 toons for a total of 75 silver.

Now patch day comes around and I get my 4 unidentified dyes for that color. Each one is only going to be selling for around 20-25 silver when this patch drops (speculation but probably accurate). So I sell the 4 of them for 25 silver each for a total of 1 gold. Now I take out my listing fee of 10% to get 90 silver. So for all that time, and effort, and hustle, all I really get is 15 silver coins and a crappy dye I probably won’t use.

Point is – when you break down the numbers, people aren’t getting rich on this exchange program. The dyes don’t need to be account bound, the economy is going to be just fine.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

The people who are going to get rich off this are the ones that bought the cheap does for a few copper/silver.

And this is assuming unid dyes are tradeable after the patch.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TheDeparted.8013

TheDeparted.8013

The people who are going to get rich off this are the ones that bought the cheap does for a few copper/silver.

I fail to see the reason why they wouldn’t be.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

And to top it off, you won’t be selling you unidentified dyes for 25s after the patch. At least not for few months. The amount of unidentified dyes that gonna flood the market is gonna go through the roof. So naturally the price will fall dramatically.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I buy said dye on the TP for 15 silver on all 5 toons for a total of 75 silver.

Now patch day comes around and I get my 4 unidentified dyes for that color. Each one is only going to be selling for around 20-25 silver when this patch drops (speculation but probably accurate). So I sell the 4 of them for 25 silver each for a total of 1 gold. Now I take out my listing fee of 10% to get 90 silver.

Just a note, you actually get less back from the situation you describe due to the Listing Fee of 5% in addition to the Sales Fee of 10%. So it’s actually only 85s return and not 90s. The “Projected Profit” does not include the 5% Listing Fee when displaying your Projected Profit. You must manually deduct the displayed Listing Fee from the displayed Projected Profit to see your actual projected profit from the entire transaction. Yeah…it’s quite misleading to many who don’t realize it doesn’t factor in the Listing Fee when determining Projected Profit and they end up selling at a loss.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

And the issue is non-relevant if the unid dyes are account bound.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Schizo.1375

Schizo.1375

IF. I haven’t seen anything that would suggest they will be account bound.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.7601

Yeah I just remembered about Bifrost, kitten

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

youre gonna have to have an SSD and log each char super fast AND then insta sell, or youre not gonna make any money off them anyway,

im one of those people who have been robbed of around 1000g of dyes and im tired of hearing of people compling about legendaries :C thats another story though

what im saying is ill be racing you guys to the TP on patch day :P

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: pswendel.8179

pswendel.8179

Or those who choose to invest after the patch hits…but that’s a real long term idea which will likely only sit on the laurel conversion rate…probably not worth it.

Anyway – @OP – Yup.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Aidan Savage.2078

They’re giving free unid dyes for every dye that’s duplicated on your account. Some people already have 10-30 character slots. What’s stopping those people from cashing in on every fine dye to get hundreds, maybe even thousands, of unid dyes back. I find it hard to believe Anet wont have made them account bound in anticipation of such…dubious money grabs by players :P

in Black Lion Trading Co

Schizo.1375

They’re giving free unid dyes for every dye that’s duplicated on your account. Some people already have 10-30 character slots. What’s stopping those people from cashing in on every fine dye to get hundreds, maybe even thousands, of unid dyes back. I find it hard to believe Anet wont have made them account bound in anticipation of such…dubious money grabs by players :P

This counters itself. Because everyone is doing this, we can tell by the price rise of common dyes, there will be millions of uid’s created on patch day. When everyone tries to cash these in on the TP the mountain of supply will drive the price of uids down to below 5s each. Thus no one really makes any money.

(edited by Schizo.1375)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: pswendel.8179

pswendel.8179

This counters itself. Because everyone is doing this, we can tell by the price rise of common dyes, there will be millions of uid’s created on patch day. When everyone tries to cash these in on the TP the mountain of supply will drive the price of uids down to below 5s each. Thus no one really makes any money.

Why is this so hard to understand?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Schizo.1375

Why is this so hard to understand?

Because not everyone is familiar with economics as most people don’t do any sort of trading in the real world. Then when they get into a game where their primary source of buying and selling goods is a market they don’t have the knowledge or experience to make the connections between supply and demand. It’s not difficult to understand when explained but its certainly not something people consider unless they are deeply involved in some sort of trading in the world. I certainly didn’t consider these things until recently.

(edited by Schizo.1375)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

I’ll be IDing my dyes to fill in the gaps on my palette first then using the mystic toilet to try and make the the other missing colors come up.

Don’t jump the shark and assume that everyone is doing the same thing.

Imagine how many Bifrosts that could be made from this seeing as how the requirement of 250 dyes is dropping to 100 to make the gift of color. One account with at least two full dye palettes could make in theory at least 4+ Bifrosts.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.7601

I’ll be IDing my dyes to fill in the gaps on my palette first then using the mystic toilet to try and make the the other missing colors come up.

Don’t jump the shark and assume that everyone is doing the same thing.

Imagine how many Bifrosts that could be made from this seeing as how the requirement of 250 dyes is dropping to 100 to make the gift of color. One account with at least two full dye palettes could make in theory at least 4+ Bifrosts.

The difference of 150 dyes is nothing compared to the other costs involved in making Bifrost.

The requirement nerf helps but it’s by no means significant.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

I honestly think there will be more Bifrosts as the unidentified dye price tanks.

What was the average of unided dyes, around 25 silver? About 62g 50s to make the Gift of Color @250 dyes. Now it will be 100 dyes at that average will be around 25g or with a projected price tank of about 5s would make it about 5g. The price of the Bifrost is meant to recoup this cost along with bringing a net profit.

Now imagine the profit if the Bifrost stays the same price but the cost of dyes were free? Granted it might not mean much to some, but the ability to save between 5g to 25g is big for some players. I honestly think there will be more Bifrosts on the TP.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

I honestly think there will be more Bifrosts as the unidentified dye price tanks.

What was the average of unided dyes, around 25 silver? About 62g 50s to make the Gift of Color @250 dyes. Now it will be 100 dyes at that average will be around 25g or with a projected price tank of about 5s would make it about 5g. The price of the Bifrost is meant to recoup this cost along with bringing a net profit.

Now imagine the profit if the Bifrost stays the same price but the cost of dyes were free? Granted it might not mean much to some, but the ability to save between 5g to 25g is big for some players. I honestly think there will be more Bifrosts on the TP.

I honestly think you don’t understand how much gold creating Bifrost really takes. 25g is a drop in a bucket. It’s nothing.

Using http://www.bravevesperia.com/ you can get the following numbers:

Current system price of all pieces bought from TP:
2122g 66s 76c

New system price of all pieces bought from TP:
2062g 6s 76c

That 5-25g will go a long way… >_>

So… when you calculate how much is that 25g in total price of creating a bifrost:
25g / 2122g 66s 76c = 0.0117776330123473
So… 1.2% of your total cost

Now given current prices of Unid Dyes (40s 40c) you’re actually saving 60g 60s 0c
That would be a whooping 2.85% of your total cost.

So sure, everyone will be making Bifrosts left and right.

(edited by Romo.3709)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I tend to think the time to “get rich” on this issue was for about 2 hours several weeks ago. Everyone else with plans to capitalize on this one will end up eating a lot of UIDs. (Unless you are going for Bifrost….as I can’t see this not significantly lowering the material costs to forge it).

I also want a view of the chaos that will follow if the UIDs are account bound….the wailing and gnashing of teeth will be a glorious sound!

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

The prices of dyes will rebalance over time, so I would think it would be pretty dodgy of ANet to make the compensatory unid’d dyes account bound given the amount of lead time they’ll have had to mention it. Making those versions account bound and saying so up front might irritate some of the opportunists, but it would be 100% legit and respectfully transparent to the player base. Springing it on people—despite the “fact” that there are boatloads of folks trying to game the system for profits on this (what’s new there?)—would be a big slap in the face. “Ha ha ha, you fools! We gotcha!”

This is primarily an in-game thing, rather than a marketing thing, so I think it’s safe to assume by now that the dyes will be tradeable since ANet’s devs have been good about not willfully screwing people over with such bait and switch tactics so far.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

I doubt they will be account bound. Imagine the outcry from people who already own almost every dye on multiple characters, who would get essentially nothing in compensation.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I doubt they will be account bound. Imagine the outcry from people who already own almost every dye on multiple characters, who would get essentially nothing in compensation.

They could still ID them and sell the identified dyes.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

The prices of dyes will rebalance over time, so I would think it would be pretty dodgy of ANet to make the compensatory unid’d dyes account bound given the amount of lead time they’ll have had to mention it. Making those versions account bound and saying so up front might irritate some of the opportunists, but it would be 100% legit and respectfully transparent to the player base. Springing it on people—despite the “fact” that there are boatloads of folks trying to game the system for profits on this (what’s new there?)—would be a big slap in the face. “Ha ha ha, you fools! We gotcha!”

This is primarily an in-game thing, rather than a marketing thing, so I think it’s safe to assume by now that the dyes will be tradeable since ANet’s devs have been good about not willfully screwing people over with such bait and switch tactics so far.

I would say that there probably weren’t a “boatload” of people since the volume of dyes for sale was very low and so were the prices. There will be a few people who figured out how it was going to work and bought up the cheapest dyes, and a lot of people who jumped on that bandwagon after it passed the point of no profit who will lose a lot of gold on patch day.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: JoeytheHutt.1742

JoeytheHutt.1742

wasnt it said by someone with a red flag that both id and uid would be tradeable?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.7601

From the Dolyak Express post, unid dyes will be acquirable from rewards, the forge and the TP, so it is not account/soulbound.

I hope dyes require something like:

1 Mystic Coin
50 Leather Scraps
1 Elonian Wine
1 something something

yeah it doesn’t make sense but I dream!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Aidan Savage.2078

wasnt it said by someone with a red flag that both id and uid would be tradeable?

Yes, but those are not unid dyes you obtained by virtue of having duplicates of colors across your account.

The other reason I think they’d leave the dyes account bound is to give an incentive to actually open them. Unless you had enough gold, or enough luck, to have collectively accumulated every single possible dye color, you’d want ot open the unid dyes on the offchance you do receive one you’ve never had before, or ones that are actually worth quite a bit.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I seriously doubt the exchange dyes will be account bound (but I think the possibility exists). I’m guessing I’ll get between 25 and 50 (never been a huge dye fan) and if I’m forced to open all of them, I won’t be upset. I can certainly see how someone that has spent 100s of gold getting rare dyes for 10 alts might be a bit peeved, however…..

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances