Price droppers kinda ruining the economy completely

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: R E F L H E X.8413

R E F L H E X.8413

Player one wants to buy lets say omnom pies for a cheaper (almost completely insane price).

He buys one omnom pie for 1.5g.

He then relistes that omnom pie for 75 bronze.

Sellers not paying attention to only one being lsited starts stacking them on matching lowest seller until there are thousands of items at 75g to the point where it will not go back up in price and keep being stacked.

I’ve seen this being done on numerous items and crafted items
There is more than one way to help rpevent this, there is also a way to fix the price of drops and crafting mats that have been completely destroyed in prices (I have already posted/listed what could be done).

I must’ve missed the sign that said it was a fire sale.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ghoest.3945

Ghoest.3945

I know nothing about economies but Im angry because supply is out pacing demand.

I fixed that for you.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

I know nothing about economies but Im angry because supply is out pacing demand.

I fixed that for you.

Thats what I read too.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

in Black Lion Trading Co

R E F L H E X.8413

No, there is people dropping prices intentionally. When you see people taking and listing one item for less than half, and I mean taking an item with thousands at say 1s, then listing it for around 35 bronze ONLY ONE ITEM, then they start stacking on that price.

I know what is going on, you on the other hand can stay clueless. This has nothing to do with supply and demand if you think so you need to keep thinking that but do so silently. I’m mainly talking about crafting/craftables here.

(edited by R E F L H E X.8413)

in Black Lion Trading Co

R E F L H E X.8413

Noone who is selling the items will drop it as much as I am saying, they will put it in for 1 bronze less, and even then, they will most likely be listing more than one.

This is people dropping items by about 75% in the price, and only listing one waiting to see hundreds stacked on top of it. If you think this isn’t happening you yourself might want to learn about how this works but like I said, do so silently.

It’s buyers tricking the sellers into listing the item for lowest price, by only listing one for around 75% less than what the normal price costs (for example listing an item that is 1s for around 25-35 bronze then sellers match his lowest price without really paying attention).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ghoest.3945

If supply was not out pacing demand then the low ball bait items would be bought by end users faster than the sellers could respond to them – at least half the time.

This sort of market push only works when the demand is low and the supply is high.

in Black Lion Trading Co

R E F L H E X.8413

What you just said is only partially true.

Supply and demand both high = it still works (the item will be being replaced at a fast rate if he slides it in right before someone places 100 or so in, then a bunch of players start putting in 100 or 50 at a fast rate until there’s thousands at that lower price).

Demand being medium = Works

Demand being low = Works

The only time it doesn’t work that well well is with VERY LOW SUPPLY and the only items that are low supply is very rare drops.

I’ve seen it done to some of the more popular items, and If you haven’t noticed almost everything is almost not worth even trying to collect and sell, or even craft at this point in the game because it’s already been done on most items.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Heru.5427

Heru.5427

Yup, this is a great tactic if you want to drop the price of something you want to buy. Like pointed out before, it usually doesn’t work for items with a large and constant supply and demand, like copper. However if you do it during off peak hours with T6 crafting mats, you can usually save some money.
It doesn’t have anything to do with supply and demand, but with the fact that there is no entrance barrier into the market, so anyone can enter it easily, even if they are stupid and have no understanding of it. The fact that these items are by the sellers being tricked, not bought, but earned through labor(read farming), means that they also lack any sense of the actual value determined by supply and demand.

On top of that, unlike in the real world, people don’t have to pay for food and rent daily, so there’s not the same desire to make sure that all the hours spent in the game are actually profitable, which is another reason why you have people driving the price down.

(edited by Heru.5427)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I just love the thread title. “kinda” and “completely” make a great pair

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ghoest.3945

But what you arent understanding is that people also push markets the other way. In a market where supply and demand were more closely aligned the 2 attempts at manipulation balance each other other out and are actually forcing an accurate market.

In short – the market responds to supply and demand over time(attempts at manipulation really just accelerate this) – and you dont understand.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hippocampus.8470

Hippocampus.8470

The thing the OP is complaining about is only possible for items that have a large gap between bid and ask prices. When the margin is greater than the 15% tax that will ultimately be taken out of a successful sell, then yes, there is opportunity for profit at the potential expense of others.

However, as I and others have pointed out repeatedly, the only items that have real margins (i.e. buying at the highest bid and selling at the lowest ask will give you a profit) are the ones that aren’t very common and aren’t selling very quickly. Anything that is traded in high volume has zero margin, so it’s impossible to actually undercut the lowest asking price significantly without hitting the highest bid price.

Also, what Ghoest said: when there’s a bid-ask spread, sellers can do the same thing by asking for one at a higher price than the current highest, then waiting for others to do the same and selling to them for more money than could have been made otherwise.

The two trends will tend to narrow the gap until it disappears, rather than consistently pushing it one direction indefinitely.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

You guys are all missing the point.

He’s saying somebody lists an omnomberry for 75 silver and then a bunch of people just assume that’s the going price so they list theirs, then that guy who only listed 1 omnomberry buys a bunch of them for 75 silver to craft with.

I don’t know how viable that is because the lower listed one he posts will get snapped up quickly so it’s not too likely that a huge pile will develop.

However it would be nice if the “match lowest seller” would only count piles of a certain size. It’s pretty dirty to be able to manipulate the market with only a single listing even if it doesn’t work every time.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Telegraph.7509

Telegraph.7509

He’s saying somebody lists an omnomberry for 75 silver and then a bunch of people just assume that’s the going price so they list theirs, then that guy who only listed 1 omnomberry buys a bunch of them for 75 silver to craft with.

I don’t know how viable that is because the lower listed one he posts will get snapped up quickly so it’s not too likely that a huge pile will develop.

However it would be nice if the “match lowest seller” would only count piles of a certain size. It’s pretty dirty to be able to manipulate the market with only a single listing even if it doesn’t work every time.

I think one possible way is to list a median seller’s price in addition to the lowest seller’s price on the selling interface. You will still have problems with the low quantity goods, but should solve some issues with the higher flow ones.

In the end, there is only so much they can do. The sellers has to do a bit more work if he wants to get the price that he deserves.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

I think one possible way is to list a median seller’s price in addition to the lowest seller’s price on the selling interface. You will still have problems with the low quantity goods, but should solve some issues with the higher flow ones.

In the end, there is only so much they can do. The sellers has to do a bit more work if he wants to get the price that he deserves.

The median is a bad price to go with because some idiots list stuff for ridiculous prices and others list stuff for prices that aren’t insane but wouldn’t sell unless the item happens to inflate over a few days.

All they really have to do is for high quantity items list the lowest large stack instead of that random one that is undercutting the large stacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Telegraph.7509

Telegraph.7509

The median is a bad price to go with because some idiots list stuff for ridiculous prices and others list stuff for prices that aren’t insane but wouldn’t sell unless the item happens to inflate over a few days.

All they really have to do is for high quantity items list the lowest large stack instead of that random one that is undercutting the large stacks.

Price outliers would affect the mean price (like selling copper ore for 200g), but not the median price if the selling pool is reasonably large. If 100 people are selling copper ore for 15c, and 3 guys are selling them for 200g, the median would still be 15 c.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

I like how every price example in this thread is completely outrageous. I doubt anyone would buy Omnom pie for 1.5g

But yeah, other than that, it does suck that while selling, you can only view lowest offer and highest buy-offer. Every time I sell something, I need to search the item in the TP to check the actual buyer and seller lists for actual prices.

How about while selling items take the highest offer from buyers from the sellers, get the 3 mode’s, display the lowest. (That is, 3 offers with the largest quantities.) Could also display the current lowest offer as a backup to give the optimal idea of the items actual and current worth.

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hippocampus.8470

No, I didn’t miss that point. I countered with the observation that this is impossible to do with anything that has only a small gap between selling price and buying price. If the current lowest selling price is 1g50s, then either the highest buying price is going to be around 1g25s or more, or it’s not an item that actually sells all that frequently.

If the current highest buying price is 1.25g, you can’t undercut 1.5g by much. If the current highest buying price is much lower than that, say, even lower than 75s, then just put in a buy order for 75s. That way yours will be the highest buy order and people will sell to you first.

If there is a big gap, maybe it’s because the people buying the item don’t agree with the people selling the item that it should cost 1.5g, and you’ll actually be doing all of them a favor by setting the new price lower than that.

in Black Lion Trading Co

R E F L H E X.8413

“No, I didn’t miss that point. I countered with the observation that this is impossible to do with anything that has only a small gap between selling price and buying price.”

Most items in the game are already at this point seller competition beating other players by 1 bronze combined with buyers manipulating sellers dropping it fast that way, so you kinda did miss the point — Almost everything is at the lowest possible price to sell (1 copper above merchants buy price) at when you try to sell to lowest buyer it’s just lower than merchant price and you can’t sell it that way. Also, the lowest price possible to sell shouldn’t be what a merchant buys things from you (the majority of items) it should be what he would sell it to you for (for example I sell a green to a merchant he buys it for 1.8s, however if you rollover that item in buyback he would sell it to you for about 13s). Otherwise the tp is a kitteny version of a merchant that takes cuts from you.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hippocampus.8470

Almost everything is at the lowest possible price to sell (1 copper above merchants buy price)

Sure, “almost everything” if you’re counting the number of distinct types of things on the TP, because most of those items are severely oversupplied midlevel green and blue items that nobody wants to spend a lot of money on.

If, instead, you count “almost everything” in terms of the actual volume traded, then no. “Almost everything” that goes through the TP is one crafting material or another, and pretty much all of those things are going for significantly more than what a vendor would give you.

You know why? Because people actually want them and are thus willing to pay for them.

in Black Lion Trading Co

R E F L H E X.8413

Almost everything is at the lowest possible price to sell (1 copper above merchants buy price)

Sure, “almost everything” if you’re counting the number of distinct types of things on the TP, because most of those items are severely oversupplied midlevel green and blue items that nobody wants to spend a lot of money on.

If, instead, you count “almost everything” in terms of the actual volume traded, then no. “Almost everything” that goes through the TP is one crafting material or another, and pretty much all of those things are going for significantly more than what a vendor would give you.

You know why? Because people actually want them and are thus willing to pay for them.

You are clueless but I will let you stay that way for now. Everything that drops and is a teal/green – lowest price possible – naga jolokias – near lowest price possible – many cooking mats, – near lowest price possible except for a handful – level 375 leather or so – at the lowest price – ancient bones, near or at lowest price – there is plenty of them, you must not have seen them, but there is too many like this to not see it, and I just don’t understand why I’d have to tell you this — saffron threads is another some fo the wood is at lowest price, all the mid levelled crystal collectibles are worth merchanting, etc. Don’t see how you missed all these items when it’s almost everything except a rare or exotic weapon/gear.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: MF Panda.5874

MF Panda.5874

Things being at the lowest possible selling price is not a problem with the trading post or with manipulation of any kind. It is a problem of either unwanted items (blues, whites, 99% of greens) or oversupply. Changing trading rules is not going to fix supply problems.

In addition, more on the topic, this kind of manipulation is a way for people who pay attention to take advantage of those with less knowledge or time. The best possible information you can get when trying to sell an item is first trying to buy it – it lists the full depth of supply of both sellers and buyers so you can determine for yourself what price to list your item. This is an interface problem, but even fixing it (i.e. making the Sell interface the same as the Buy interface) would not prevent this kind of manipulation.

in Black Lion Trading Co

R E F L H E X.8413

You can say that all you want, but when high demand items are also dropping it becomes a false statement, I’ve already went over this in one of these two threads on this topic.

I’ve also written a long thing about why the trading posts minimum prices should be changed and it has to do with the games economy (waypoints, repairs, sieges, etc). I might go back in my posts and copy/paste it for you guys later, however you can just click my name and look for it if you want.

I don’t understand why people would argue with me over this, it would be like the president saying everyone will have free rent and everyone that can’t afford their rent wants to argue with him about it. Or maybe it’s people who just want to keep huge egos from already having commander by keeping the market in a pathetic state (there shouldn’t even be an ego for that,LOL).

Never seen a game with such a bad economy, even runescape has a better eco, so did rift.

I’m not even going to lie I was so close to buying from a gold seller because this economy kittening sucks. I bought 3 things of gems from arenaet, two for char slots when I first got started, then bought 800 for gold, then I seen how much gold I got for ten dollars, and will NEVER be buying gems again at that price. Now, I was very close to supporting the gold sellers, however at that time I didn’t see how they would get the gold to me or I would have. Until anet fixes this kitteny economy I would rather support a gold seller than them at that price. If you can craft high level items (aside from cooking we get kitten on by buyer manipulations big time all the way down to one copper per item) then you can probably get exotics from spam making rares like that one guy was doing, and you are fine making money, the rest of us, aren’t.

Sure I could get my crafting up and spend all my money doing that but I want an exotic set first even though it’ d be better the other way around. Point being, the MAJORITY of the market is a complete failure.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: jamescowhen.1562

jamescowhen.1562

I see this sometimes, and I just buy them out and re list them at the appropriate price and make the profit. It’s that simple if they undercut so much

in Black Lion Trading Co

R E F L H E X.8413

“I see this sometimes, and I just buy them out and re list them at the appropriate price and make the profit. It’s that simple if they undercut so much”

I see it too but sometimes they are persistent,and last night it was showing only one item of this type of undercut, so I bought it, then after I bought it there was another undercut within a few minutes, so I bought that one, then, it kept showing 1 this second time and I bought 5 for that price, and it never went away.

The worst items this is happening to is food, and food has no limit so they can bring it down to 2 copper per food, as if they didn’t already destroy them enough.

When someone really wants to lower the price, it will happen on a lot of items, it’s just all about their timings.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Arasuki.6094

Arasuki.6094

1. whos stupid enough to buy an item for 1.5g only to devalue it?
2. its called normal fluctuations in the market. the economy isnt a daily or weekly reset thing like wvw. be patient.

[DU]Arasuki – Ranger
Down Under – Stormbluff Isle

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hippocampus.8470

The food items that sell for dirt cheap are the ones that are easy to make and not that great.

Just like the weapons that sell for the minimum price, and the armor that sells for the minimum price, and everything else in the game that sells for really cheap. No one is manipulating anything to cause this situation, unless you count the people flooding the market with low-quality goods.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aruemar.7891

Aruemar.7891

The food items that sell for dirt cheap are the ones that are easy to make and not that great.

Just like the weapons that sell for the minimum price, and the armor that sells for the minimum price, and everything else in the game that sells for really cheap. No one is manipulating anything to cause this situation, unless you count the people flooding the market with low-quality goods.

Arasuki, they are not stupid but smart.I been at the trading post most of my time and this happens. Here is the trick.

1)Buy a few and drop it down.
ex: buy 2-3 at 70s and sell it for 30s

2) wait for some “lesser informed” people to match your price at 30s.

3)Buy all at 30s and sell it at 70s, Profit!

It doesn’t always work, so it is gamble.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hippocampus.8470

And once again, that is only possible when there is already a significant gap between buy prices and sell prices. A properly balanced price, for something that sells in high volume, will never have that kind of margin.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aruemar.7891

Aruemar.7891

And once again, that is only possible when there is already a significant gap between buy prices and sell prices. A properly balanced price, for something that sells in high volume, will never have that kind of margin.

True, but there is items with wide gaps that sells.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hippocampus.8470

Well yeah, they just don’t move in the kind of volume of basic materials or low-quality items. Also, the ones with large gaps are not the ones that end up being listed for 1c over vendor price, obviously.

in Black Lion Trading Co

R E F L H E X.8413

Again, there is items not possible of having a low gap because this already happened to them and they are down to prices that you might as well merch them for, and I am talking about almost everything in the game, except a handful of items in comparison to how many are in the game.

The only items that this cannot really happen to are rare drops, aside from a few others. You are too hard headed and now we are repeating ourselves, anyone else, just read my old reply that he obviously didn’t read. If you think the economy is good how it is you are wrong, very wrong, this economy is pathetic.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hippocampus.8470

I’ve read all your posts. It’s not my fault you keep making blatantly false claims, such as that crafting materials are selling for vendor prices on the TP.

I still maintain that every item there’s actually a demand for sells at a higher price than you’d get from a vendor. It just so happens that blue and green drops and crafted items don’t have much demand for them, since everyone in the game is getting them or making them and then turning around and dumping them on the trading post.

in Black Lion Trading Co

R E F L H E X.8413

I’ve read all your posts. It’s not my fault you keep making blatantly false claims, such as that crafting materials are selling for vendor prices on the TP.

Enough said you aren’t playing the same game as I am, I am playing guildwars 2. There’s only some of the crafting mats that are selling for more than vendor and those are the blood vials, some of the bones, and a couple others, alot of the woods have been down that low, alot of the ores have been lower than they should be (platinum for example), alot of the leather has been low (I have a stack of thick leather in bank because I don’t know whether I should just merch it or what), all of the gems except ruby are at vendors prices for the most part, almost all of the food materials are at that point.

Also, the majority of blues and greens from drops are minimum listing what a merchant buys for and that is not a proper way to run a trading post when it is taking cuts (the minimum trading post price should be whats listed in the buy back section of the merchant)..

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hippocampus.8470

Lower than it “should be” is not at all the same as selling for 1c above vendor price. Platinum ore vends for 6c, and the going rate on the TP is twice that. Iron vends for 3c and is trading for the same price as platinum.

What price do you, in your infinite wisdom, think these items “should be” selling for?

in Black Lion Trading Co

R E F L H E X.8413

Lower than it “should be” is not at all the same as selling for 1c above vendor price. Platinum ore vends for 6c, and the going rate on the TP is twice that. Iron vends for 3c and is trading for the same price as platinum.

What price do you, in your infinite wisdom, think these items “should be” selling for?

Is this the only game with an economy that you have played? it seems like it. I can’t talk to you anymore.

The majority of highest leveled crafting mats should not be taking hundreds almost thousands of them to = one siege golem in price, etc. This economy is completely terrible, and I don’t need to justify this fact when this is well known aside from people that just don’t get it, possibly from lack of experience in playing other games with economies.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hippocampus.8470

I’ve played other games with economies, and I also know a thing or two about the real-world economy. For example, I know that low prices for items where supply outstrips demand is not the sign of a completely ruined economy.

If you want to sell mats to make money for a siege golem, farm lowbie areas and sell copper, green wood, and jute, because those are actually in demand.

in Black Lion Trading Co

R E F L H E X.8413

I’ve played other games with economies, and I also know a thing or two about the real-world economy. For example, I know that low prices for items where supply outstrips demand is not the sign of a completely ruined economy.

You are also completely ignoring the fact that supply and demand had nothing to do with alot of this thread.

There is only one way it doesn’t work, where supply is almost non existent. Other than that supply and demand means nothing here.

Someone else in this thread also tried to tell you, that supply and demand doesn’t matter here as much as you seem to think it does.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hippocampus.8470

No, actually supply and demand mean everything, because the things selling for prices “too low” for your liking are doing so because everyone gets tons more of them than anyone wants. The things that are selling for significant profit over what you’d get from a vendor are the ones people actually want, so they’re willing to pay more for them.

It is really that simple.

in Black Lion Trading Co

R E F L H E X.8413

Omg, you really don’t understand this thread, I cannot argue with you anymore.

in Black Lion Trading Co

R E F L H E X.8413

Arasuki, they are not stupid but smart.I been at the trading post most of my time and this happens. Here is the trick.

1)Buy a few and drop it down.
ex: buy 2-3 at 70s and sell it for 30s

2) wait for some “lesser informed” people to match your price at 30s.

3)Buy all at 30s and sell it at 70s, Profit!

It doesn’t always work, so it is gamble.

Or wait for thousands then there is a permanent price drop.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hippocampus.8470

Omg, you really don’t understand this thread, I cannot argue with you anymore.

I know you can’t. It’s hard to argue when none of the facts are on your side, isn’t it?

Anyway, I’m done with this thread. The first reply really said all that needed to be said.

I fixed that for you.

in Black Lion Trading Co

R E F L H E X.8413

No because obviously there is other people aside from me trying to tell you what this thread is about but you are completely ignoring this when it is more than just me telling you what is going on.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: MF Panda.5874

MF Panda.5874

What I’ve learned in this thread is that you think siege golems are too expensive.

You need to give up on this idea that things “should be” or “ought to be” worth some value that they aren’t. In games with more open and more player-driven markets, things are worth what the market says.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sporadicus.1028

Sporadicus.1028

If you want to compare how prices are fairing, you need to find a medium item.

I think the best medium items to compare would be the Blue collectible items. Claws, Totems, Bones, Blood, etc. These are uncommon and are in high demand. Your average tier 5 collectibles like that right now run just under 1s.

If you track them, you can track supply, demand, and the economy of the game.

Malkin Rawl – Charr Engineer, Tarnished Coast
Loudmouth, lousy PvPer, and mediocre PvEer.
I don’t own, I just play

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

I think you are right and you should go to post your suggestion in the suggestion tab. Median price would definitely help here, as the market is huge and there’s bound to be a median price that quite accurately reflects what the current value of the item really is.

One – Piken Square

in Black Lion Trading Co

Tom Gore.4035

Is this the only game with an economy that you have played? it seems like it. I can’t talk to you anymore.

The majority of highest leveled crafting mats should not be taking hundreds almost thousands of them to = one siege golem in price, etc. This economy is completely terrible, and I don’t need to justify this fact when this is well known aside from people that just don’t get it, possibly from lack of experience in playing other games with economies.

I’m quite sure that in most games the prices of the crafting materials do not accurately reflect what you can actually craft with them.

The games you mentioned having good economics have small playerbases using the AH, which tends to give more room for manipulation, not less.

TBH I don’t know what you’re trying to say. GW2 has one of the hardest markets to manipulate due to the sheer volume being traded through.

The reason most stuff goes at vendor price is that anyone can post stuff from anywhere in the world.

One – Piken Square

in Black Lion Trading Co

Tom Gore.4035

Ps. if this price dropping is such a great way of making money shouldn’t you be happy and swimming in gold?

I think you’re just mad because you tried this yourself and failed.

One – Piken Square

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gillysan.1962

Gillysan.1962

Where do you get these bronze coins? Sorry, couldn’t get past the first post or two.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

OP says that some people are taking advantage of sellers by artificially posting a lower prices to get other sellers to undercut him/her and then buying at lower prices.

Thing is… if I post something lower that the current spread it would meet a buyer´s request and the item would get sold immediately and not affect the market.

So, no this is not a problem of such epic proportions. It could of course help a savvy buyer to get a small advantage (always between the spread) but if the other sellers are not willing to commit the effort to check the price trends (Did this happen to you OP?) and sell lower than they could then… well its the sellers problem. In the long term it wont affect the market.

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Obie.3268

Obie.3268

I’d love to see the price droppers work on the vanilla bean market. 1s80c for ONE vanilla bean is insane.