Remove the Ability to mail gold!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I don’t understand why the ability to mail gold is currently in place?

There is no trading by mail so it is not needed there.

All inter-account trading is done through the account wide bank

All trades are done through the TP

As far as I can tell the one and only reason for being able to mail gold is so you can buy gold from gold sellers. If you remove this option you instantly shut down 100% of gold sellers and lose absolutely nothing in the process?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

What about if I want to mail my buddy a few gold so he can buy himself some armor or dyes or w/e? There are reasons to mail gold.

in Black Lion Trading Co

ZudetGambeous.9573

1. just buy him the armor and dyes and mail him those. edit or use the guild vault to send him what he wants.

2. Yes you should try to think before posting, better luck next time

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zephyrlol.8497

Zephyrlol.8497

But I like selling my items through map chat. Some of us like to avoid the 15% TP fee. What happens if the TP is down? How are people supposed to buy and trade goods then?

What if you’re TP is lagging? Just the other day I gave my friend 2g to place a buy order for me because my TP was unreasonable slow.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Promega.7628

Promega.7628

I completely agree and have been met with harsh criticism for suggesting the same thing. To be effective you also need to remove the ability to mail items, and alter guild banks in a way that people would need to contribute a significant amount of influence to that guild before they can use them.

Third party gold selling/buying and botting have literally been programmed into this game for some unknown reason. Remove player/player item/gold trading and restrict it to the trading post and you will make it much harder for bots to get their product to gold buyers.

Outcomes from altering the system in such a way:

1. No incentive to hack accounts or access them illegally as you cannot gain anything from that account if you cant remove its wealth. MAJOR save for Anets resources as far as account security and customer support goes.
2. Drastically reduces the incentive for RMTers to bot, essentially removing them from the game, as well as gold spam in public chat channels and in game mail.
3. The in game economy is much less susceptible to inflation due to thousands of bots farming gold 24/7 and thus devalueing in game gold.

The con:
4. Players can’t send near worthless identified dyes to the friend, or make their friend’s life a tiny bit easier by sending them a mediocher staff upgrade through the mail.

C’mon is all the resources that could be saved really worth this archaic and outdated player-to-player gold/item transfer system?

We could probably have an extra expansion per year with all the resources ANet would save by implementing such a system.

(edited by Promega.7628)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Third party gold selling/buying and botting have literally been programmed into this game for some unknown reason. Remove player/player item/gold trading and restrict it to the trading post and you will make it much harder for bots to get their product to gold buyers.

Hey and while were at it, lets just get rid of the trading post as well, Since thats a way gold sellers sell people money. Lets ruin the game for everyone just to get rid of the bots, that will show them! Everything can just be account bound and we can all farm happily for our endgame items.

How about no.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

in Black Lion Trading Co

Promega.7628

you can easily start a collection that goes straight to certain items like commander and siege golems. yes there are issues that would need to be addressed but it would be a much easier way to deal with RMT and bots than playing an endless game of cat and mouse that consumes a MASSIVE amount of resources and compromises a lot fo player accounts.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: VendettaDFA.9368

VendettaDFA.9368

Shutting down the ability to mail gold accomplishes nothing but punishing legit players. You ban the illegal buyers and sellers. Thats how you deal with this issue.If you shut down acct gold mailing the goldseller will conduct a TP transaction to “buy” a garbage item for the amount of gold the illegal buyer purchased in order to get it transferred into the buyers account. Your idea does nothing.

(edited by VendettaDFA.9368)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: GreyInsomniak.1328

GreyInsomniak.1328

In addition to the reasons listed above, the mechanic of mailing moneys is too integral to the system as a whole – but more to specifically PvE. How would you get the rewards for map completion of heart quests? The amount of restructuring involved would be ridiculous. Please take the time to think before you post.

Hey Anet, can we get a moderator in here and close this thread? I think it has “run its course.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Promega.7628

@VendettaDFA

Of course you can shoot a hole in any suggestion in a single sentence if your not going to take the time to actually think of how it can be overcome. We could sit here and argue all day, you come up with silly reasons why a system wont work, and I’ll come up with systems to overcome them. Thats called development and is the process to improving things. Simply doing ban waves will get no where as we have seen over the past decade plus of proof in other games.

In the end I really dont care as long as my account never gets compromised. I acquire more than enough gold, am a couple days away from my first legendary, and am not bothered by the gold spam.

The game is great, but could be even better if resources were redirected to pumping out content instead of babysitting a system that provides very little to the community and enables RMT/botting/account compromises.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Promega.7628

@greyinsomniak

map completion rewards already to straight to your inventory, I don’t see it a huge stretch for heart completions to do the same…

It is also different to get gold in the mail from a heart completion, and allowing gold and items to be attached in player-to-player mail.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Targren.6073

Targren.6073

Counterexample: Upgrade/Siege Donations in WvW.

Counterexample: Gold sellers already use alternate methods.

Only 100% solution to removing the problem of gold sellers: Completely eliminate all inter-player trading.

Fail.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

Since it wouldn’t actually solve the problem (as mentioned in an earlier post, all they need to do is post an item on the TP for the appropriate price instead) but would annoy players who actually send items and gold to each other, I don’t see it as a good idea in the slightest.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

While I personally think that the negatives of this idea outweight the positives, I’m sceptical about the claims of gold selling happening via the TP. If I was to list an item for 100g for a gold seller to buy, I would first need to have 5g in order to list it, and then only receive 90g (and I would also need to find an item that had no other sell orders listed).

While it could be used as workaround if mailing gold to other players was disabled, it seems to me that it would be too inefficient for it to be the current primary method of transferring gold.

in Black Lion Trading Co

ZudetGambeous.9573

1. The trading post is much easier to monitor then in game mail. If an item is sold for a price well outside its typical buy range it would send up multiple red flags, this is a non-issue. Heck there are multiple Player made programs and websites that can already do this.

2. Using in-game mail to avoid the 15% fee is just exploiting. If Anet wanted you doing this they would have added a person to person trade feature. Stop exploiting and scamming people and you don’t need to trade by mail.

3. An alternate donation system for WvW would be better anyway, the current asking for donations is 90% of the time just a scam to get free money. Another problem that would be solved by removing in-game gold trading.

Sounds like for the most part you guys don’t want your cheap exploited gold sources to go away, I have yet to see an legitimate reason not to implement this.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: NinjaKnight.1340

NinjaKnight.1340

There are enough nerfs in this game for legit players. Putting in place another major inconvenience simply to punish the few gold buyers would be a bad hack fix.

I can’t imagine there are more than 1-5% of the player base who buy illegal gold. To punish the remaining 95-99% of the players for the few bad apples is out of hand. Besides as others have mentioned the TP is another way to transfer Gold and they willsimply switch to that method if they aren’t already.

As a player who has never bought illegal Gold but has sent stuff and coin to friends and family, I would think this inconvenience would be the last nail in the coffin.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mapache.4852

Mapache.4852

All the people claiming that you can use the TP to transfer money don’t realize that it doesn’t work in this game. In games where you can buy specific listings, the seller can put up any piece of worthless junk for an outrageous price, and the buyer can choose to buy it. In GW2, you can’t buy the more expensive items when there are cheaper ones, so you would need to find a tradable item which you have and which hasn’t been listed by anyone else in the world in order to be able to use it to transfer money.

in Black Lion Trading Co

NinjaKnight.1340

All the people claiming that you can use the TP to transfer money don’t realize that it doesn’t work in this game. In games where you can buy specific listings, the seller can put up any piece of worthless junk for an outrageous price, and the buyer can choose to buy it. In GW2, you can’t buy the more expensive items when there are cheaper ones, so you would need to find a tradable item which you have and which hasn’t been listed by anyone else in the world in order to be able to use it to transfer money.

no just find a thinly traded item, then buy out all the exisiting low listings that prevent the Gold trade. That isn’t a hard thing to find and do.

Besides there are legit players who manipulate TP prices for profit by doing just that.

(edited by NinjaKnight.1340)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Astraea.6075

no just find a thinly traded item, then buy out all the exisiting low listings that prevent the Gold trade. That isn’t a hard thing to find and do.

While that covers one side of the problem, there are still the inefficiencies of paying an up-front listing fee and sales tax to consider. Not insurmountable, but I can easily think of a more efficient way to transfer gold without incurring these costs that does not use the mail system.

in Black Lion Trading Co

NinjaKnight.1340

While that covers one side of the problem, there are still the inefficiencies of paying an up-front listing fee and sales tax to consider. Not insurmountable, but I can easily think of a more efficient way to transfer gold without incurring these costs that does not use the mail system.

I can think of one, the guild bank.

But my point is to show th OP that shutting down mail transfers simply moves the trades elsewhere while punishing the legit players.

You would have to literally shut down ALL methods of inter account trading to completely stop illegalgold transfers.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Astraea.6075

I can think of one, the guild bank.

But my point is to show th OP that shutting down mail transfers simply moves the trades elsewhere while punishing the legit players.

You would have to literally shut down ALL methods of inter account trading to completely stop illegalgold transfers.

That is the method I was thinking of too… and I agree, all methods of inter-account trading would need to be shut down or severely limited to completely stop transfers of illegal gold.

My contention was with an earlier statement that gold sellers were already using the TP to transfer gold. I am highly doubtful that this is occurring due to the inefficiencies of doing so when more efficient methods exist.

in Black Lion Trading Co

VendettaDFA.9368

@VendettaDFA

Of course you can shoot a hole in any suggestion in a single sentence if your not going to take the time to actually think of how it can be overcome. We could sit here and argue all day, you come up with silly reasons why a system wont work, and I’ll come up with systems to overcome them. Thats called development and is the process to improving things. Simply doing ban waves will get no where as we have seen over the past decade plus of proof in other games.

In the end I really dont care as long as my account never gets compromised. I acquire more than enough gold, am a couple days away from my first legendary, and am not bothered by the gold spam.

The game is great, but could be even better if resources were redirected to pumping out content instead of babysitting a system that provides very little to the community and enables RMT/botting/account compromises.

I started a thread on banning gold buyers that extended over 7 pages by the time the moderator locked it down. I have more than thought it out and frankly after that fight I don’t wish to discuss it further than the bottom line statement I gave. Research the other threads if you want to see all the discussion. Heres my old one … its way more than a single sentence.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Gold-Buyers-Lets-deal-with-the-cause-in-addition-to-the-effect

Also noticed you even POSTED TO THAT THREAD. You sir, are just trolling.

(edited by VendettaDFA.9368)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mrsrachelm.7618

mrsrachelm.7618

Slapping band aids on the symptoms (like being able to mail gold in game etc) doesn’t actually address or solve the root of the problem. Until the foundation of the issue itself is taken care of, no amount of treating the symptoms will do anything but make legit players more limited in game play. Just my opinion. I recognize that others’ mileage may vary.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Barfoi.9537

Barfoi.9537

What they said… ^^^

I’d be quite irritated if I didn’t have the option to mail gold to my wife/children (or vice-versa) as we play together!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mrsrachelm.7618

mrsrachelm.7618

What they said… ^^^

I’d be quite irritated if I didn’t have the option to mail gold to my wife/children (or vice-versa) as we play together!

Exactly. A lot of people don’t realize that families actually -do- play games like this together and parents of younger kids actually use the mail system to help their kids out.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Elfa.2876

Elfa.2876

@VendettaDFA

I started a thread on banning gold buyers that extended over 7 pages by the time the moderator locked it down. I have more than thought it out and frankly after that fight I don’t wish to discuss it further than the bottom line statement I gave. Research the other threads if you want to see all the discussion. Heres my old one … its way more than a single sentence.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Gold-Buyers-Lets-deal-with-the-cause-in-addition-to-the-effect

Also noticed you even POSTED TO THAT THREAD. You sir, are just trolling.

You’re right Vendetta, you did post thread which is exactly like this thread and that one was closed, so close this one too. What can be said about this topic has been said, enough is enough.

All in all, it ain’t all bad.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lucubration.8361

Lucubration.8361

This sounds like an all-around bad idea. Inconvenience or cripple legitimate players and add only a little overhead to gold seller operations by forcing them into the TP for transactions instead of mail.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Promega.7628

For those claiming that the TP can be abused as a gold selling method, again simple systems could be put in place to protect it, either monitoring or capping sale/buyout offers at +/- XX% of the running average for the last variable number of that item sold based on trading volume.

Seriously. If you fight gold sellers like you fight drug dealers and you will end up crippling your economy with flooded jails and an overwhelmed justice system. Or in GW2 terms, have less game content because resources on being spent on security/policing bots/hackers etc. Just remove the possibility for it to exist.

And to the guy who likes to mail gold to his kids. I did adress this in an earlier post. Yes you will be inconvenienced, sorry. But you would likely also get extra game content based on the resources ANet would be saving, and the people whose accounts get compromised from gold sellers should come before the dude wanting to send a bit of gold or a staff upgrade to his friend/child/co-worker/dominatrix/whatever…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Promega.7628

@VendettaDFA

Yep lets ban gold buyers. Lets reduce the game’s population further, reduce GW2 revenue, until the game is so crippled that it can barely exist. I don’t think you can fault people for wanting to take the path of least resistance to accomplishment, its human nature. Sure its against the rules but so far ANet has not kept a competitive gold conversion rate on the gem store.

The problem is not gold buyers, but that the systems for black market gold selling to take place even exist.

in Black Lion Trading Co

VendettaDFA.9368

The problem is not gold buyers, but that the systems for black market gold selling to take place even exist
@Promega.7628
Thats the only intelligent thing you have said. The problem is NOT banning gold buyers who ARE the problem since their DEMAND for black market gold IS why goldselling exists.

You, by your own admission, want to treat these cheaters as legitimate members of the GW2 population. You would also rather punish the 95 percent of the legal players because of the actions of the 5% of illegal buyers and sellers.

I will also point out that the glut of illegal gold being used to purchase gems is keeping your precious gold conversion rate skewed. The problem is the total lack of understanding by people like you of how much everything within the framework of the game is tied together. Knee jerk reactionism like yours and general apathy in enforcing the terms of agreement will damage GW2 infinately more than banning gold buyers ever will. Chat suppression…. anti-farming code…. Diminishing returns … etc. Still you want to keep your cheating gold buying friends in the game …. pfft.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TwoSwords.4687

TwoSwords.4687

I don’t understand why the ability to mail gold is currently in place?

There is no trading by mail so it is not needed there.

All inter-account trading is done through the account wide bank

All trades are done through the TP

As far as I can tell the one and only reason for being able to mail gold is so you can buy gold from gold sellers. If you remove this option you instantly shut down 100% of gold sellers and lose absolutely nothing in the process?

I trade by mail, I’m glad the feature is there.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hippocampus.8470

Hippocampus.8470

Eliminating the ability to mail gold would severely hinder the ease of buying gold. That much is not in doubt. The problem is that it also severely hinders lots of other things legitimate players like to do, such as mail gold to their friends (not everyone is in the same guilds as every single one of their friends, after all).

They need to strike a balance between hindering gold selling and botting on the one hand, and allowing legitimate players to continue enjoying the game legitimately on the other. Severe DR, greatly increasing the proportion of soulbound or account bound items, eliminating the ability to mail gold: all of these things can reduce gold selling, but they also reduce the enjoyment for most players, and as such they are really stupid “solutions” that I hope are never seriously considered by the cooler heads at ANet.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Promega.7628

The problem is not gold buyers, but that the systems for black market gold selling to take place even exist
@Promega.7628
Thats the only intelligent thing you have said. The problem is NOT banning gold buyers who ARE the problem since their DEMAND for black market gold IS why goldselling exists.

You, by your own admission, want to treat these cheaters as legitimate members of the GW2 population. You would also rather punish the 95 percent of the legal players because of the actions of the 5% of illegal buyers and sellers.

I will also point out that the glut of illegal gold being used to purchase gems is keeping your precious gold conversion rate skewed. The problem is the total lack of understanding by people like you of how much everything within the framework of the game is tied together. Knee jerk reactionism like yours and general apathy in enforcing the terms of agreement will damage GW2 infinately more than banning gold buyers ever will. Chat suppression…. anti-farming code…. Diminishing returns … etc. Still you want to keep your cheating gold buying friends in the game …. pfft.

The demand is there because Anet has implemented a system by which RMTers can circumvent the gem store and provide their product cheaper. The demand for gold is there as an intrinsic property of the game. I personally bought gems and converted it to gold despite the horrible conversion rate because I believe in supporting the game makers and wan’t the game to flourish. Banning others who simply want the best deal is inappropriate IMO simply because the game needs a player base to survive and the fact of the matter is that ANet made the game in such a way that someone else can supply their product for cheaper. These players who buy black market gold aren’t doing it with the intention to cheat and circumvent the system they just want the best deal for their money.
Everything on the gem store can be purchased via gold so why would anyone give ANet 10X more money for the same product when they could buy black market gold and convert it to gems then buy what they want off the store. The system is flawed and simply making more rules then spending gross amounts of resources to police them is the wrong way to go.

Yes I am suggesting a minor inconvenience to the player base in not being able to mail gold/items. But through this we stand to gain so much more… content, account security, actual players in game not bots and so on and so forth.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Jestunhi.7429

For those claiming that the TP can be abused as a gold selling method, again simple systems could be put in place to protect it, either monitoring or capping sale/buyout offers at +/- XX% of the running average for the last variable number of that item sold based on trading volume.

Seriously. If you fight gold sellers like you fight drug dealers and you will end up crippling your economy with flooded jails and an overwhelmed justice system. Or in GW2 terms, have less game content because resources on being spent on security/policing bots/hackers etc. Just remove the possibility for it to exist.

And to the guy who likes to mail gold to his kids. I did adress this in an earlier post. Yes you will be inconvenienced, sorry. But you would likely also get extra game content based on the resources ANet would be saving, and the people whose accounts get compromised from gold sellers should come before the dude wanting to send a bit of gold or a staff upgrade to his friend/child/co-worker/dominatrix/whatever…

So… apply even more arbitrary limitations on genuine players to try to punish the botters? “No mailing items, no mailing gold, and you can only sell if it’s within our ANet approved price range!”

Glad you’re not a dev.

:edit:

Since reported bots are still ingame I assume they are doing the smart thing.

Instead of punishing everyone I assume they are monitoring the reported botters to find out how the bot works so they can stop it.

Prevention > punishing all players > spending all your man hours chasing bots to ban.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Promega.7628

So… apply even more arbitrary limitations on genuine players to try to punish the botters? “No mailing items, no mailing gold, and you can only sell if it’s within our ANet approved price range!”

Glad you’re not a dev.

The alternative?

Bots/goldfarmers robbing ANet of their revenue = failing game in the not to distant future.

Account compromises with irreversible consequences.

Constant inflation due to the surplus gold being generated and introduced to the game by excessive botting and cheap black market gold selling. Thereby making the market more and more competitive for players who do not by gold.

But at least you can send that blue staff to your friend while the game survives.

You can play cat and mouse with the bots all you like. As long as the systems are in place to circumvent the gem store RMTers will continue to try and find ways to make money.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Jestunhi.7429

Unless you have some serious details about ANets and gold sellers income… I’ll take your “THE GAME WIL DIE!!!!!!” with a pinch of salt.

And as I said, the alternative is to stop the bot programs, not punish the players.

I see the same claims in every game forum, and yet they don’t all shut down due to gold sellers. Funny that.

:edit:

Which MMOs have disabled trading (because this is the only form of direct transfer of items / currency that we have) to stop gold sellers and actually done well afterwards?

:edit2:

They could also consider changing the exchange rate which you buy gems at in RMTs to make it less worth the risk to use a 3rd party gold seller.

(edited by Jestunhi.7429)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lucubration.8361

Lucubration.8361

I think you would have a better chance at stopping gold sellers if you took out the botters. I think I reported the same group of 4 rangers on my server while leveling my Guardian, first in Kessex Hills, then in Gendarran Fields, then in Swampfly Fen, and now in Orr. Those four among several dozen who still hang around various areas in Orr every day for the last week.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Jestunhi.7429

I think you would have a better chance at stopping gold sellers if you took out the botters. I think I reported the same group of 4 rangers on my server while leveling my Guardian, first in Kessex Hills, then in Gendarran Fields, then in Swampfly Fen, and now in Orr. Those four among several dozen who still hang around various areas in Orr every day for the last week.

Banning a hacked / keylogged / abandoned account will resolve very little.

They need to stop the bots from working or stop people from buying from gold sellers. The problem is gold sellers offer waaaaaaay better rates.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Promega.7628

Why does everyone take everything so personally. This is not a punishment. Its a change ment to ensure the integrity of the game.

@ Jestunhi

Once everyone who is playing the game has paid their $60 where does ANet generate revenue?
A: The gem store.

If RMTers sell everything on the gem store for 1/10th the price of ANet plus ANet is investing loads of resources into combatting them how can you possibly argue that they have an effective business strategy?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Jestunhi.7429

Why does everyone take everything so personally. This is not a punishment. Its a change ment to ensure the integrity of the game.

There would be less flaming if they just closed down the forums, does that make it a good idea? Just removing something the community use because “well, if you look at the big picture it ensures the integrity of the game!”?

@ Jestunhi

Once everyone who is playing the game has paid their $60 where does ANet generate revenue?

If RMTers sell everything on the gem store for 1/10th the price of ANet plus ANet is investing loads of resources into combatting them how can you possibly argue that they have an effective business strategy?

If ANet changes the RMT gem rate to match the gold sellers – how many people do you think would use the gold sellers? *Note – I realise it’s not as simple as just changing the exchange rate if it’s not going to damage the economy, but you get the point I hope

If they spent time working out how the bots work so that they could stop them from working – who would provide the gold sellers with their gold?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Promega.7628

There would be less flaming if they just closed down the forums, does that make it a good idea? Just removing something the community use because “well, if you look at the big picture it ensures the integrity of the game!”?

@ Jestunhi

If ANet changes the RMT gem rate to match the gold sellers – how many people do you think would use the gold sellers? *Note – I realise it’s not as simple as just changing the exchange rate if it’s not going to damage the economy, but you get the point I hope

If they spent time working out how the bots work so that they could stop them from working – who would provide the gold sellers with their gold?

And when they finally get to a golden state of being that is a game without bots, what then do we do about the “chinese gold farming houses” with children playing gold farming characters (search the internet for pictures/videos of such places) or RMTers who play the TP making massive gold to sell to players. As long as a system is in place by which gold farmers can get their product to players, they will find a way to make money off it.

Also I don’t know that ANet specifically sets a gem to gold conversion rate or if it is a result of supply/demand for gems.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Jestunhi.7429

And when they finally get to a golden state of being that is a game without bots, what then do we do about the “chinese gold farming houses” with children playing gold farming characters (search the internet for pictures/videos of such places) or RMTers who play the TP making massive gold to sell to players. As long as a system is in place by which gold farmers can get their product to players, they will find a way to make money off it.

How is it that all the other MMOs with trading survive, and not just the sub ones? I’m certainly not saying “ignore the gold sellers and bots, they are fine”, I’m just disagreeing with your plan of punishing everyone to try to stop the minority.

Personally I can’t think of a successful MMO with no direct trading – can you point me to one to show how well your suggestion works?

Also I don’t know that ANet specifically sets a gem to gold conversion rate or if it is a result of supply/demand for gems.

I’m sure they don’t on a day-by-day basis, it’s presumably an algorithm.

However, that doesn’t mean that they can’t change the algorithm, nor the amount of gems in each RMT bundle.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Promega.7628

Throwing around words like punishment, is not constructive nor a viable argument. Is it punishment to remove 41 karma weapons for the people who didn’t buy them? Is it punishment to expect players to level to 80 before having access to all the game’s content? is it punishment to expect players to work for things in game period? Your claim is simply childish and outlandish.

At worst removing or restricting player-player gold and item transfers is a minor inconvenience to some of the player base which would soon be forgotten once people adjust to the mind set of “I need to go gather myself 4 more butternut squash for this recipe rather that expecting it in the mail from someone”.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Jestunhi.7429

Throwing around words like punishment, is not constructive nor a viable argument. Is it punishment to remove 41 karma weapons for the people who didn’t buy them? Is it punishment to expect players to level to 80 before having access to all the game’s content? is it punishment to expect players to work for things in game period? Your claim is simply childish and outlandish.

At worst removing or restricting player-player gold and item transfers is a minor inconvenience to some of the player base which would soon be forgotten once people adjust to the mind set of “I need to go gather myself 4 more butternut squash for this recipe rather that expecting it in the mail from someone”.

I accept that that’s your opinion. You believe it would help more than it hinders.

I disagree.

We both know the arguments on either side, you accept that it’s an “inconvenience” so you know it would be worse for players than the current system and I accept that removing the ability to trade would stop obviously gold sellers from trading. What we disagree on is which is more important.

I don’t think that will change by us repeatedly stating our viewpoints.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: StevieMJH.9105

StevieMJH.9105

OP just seems like a complete kittenhead, honestly. If you’re going to create a thread and then hound everyone in it, then you’ve already made up your mind and are just trying to start a fight.

in Black Lion Trading Co

NinjaKnight.1340

@ StevieMJH Agreed, OP is not being rational.

In any game there will be a small percentage of players who will cheat try and get cheaper gold etc.

You don’t put in place mass restrictions that affect the majority of the player base just to catch the few bad eggs. You go around with a detective/police force and catch them.

It would be like telling the US Gov to shut down the Postal service because possibly a small amount of illegal stuff is being mailed.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Promega.7628

@ StevieMJH Agreed, OP is not being rational.

In any game there will be a small percentage of players who will cheat try and get cheaper gold etc.

You don’t put in place mass restrictions that affect the majority of the player base just to catch the few bad eggs. You go around with a detective/police force and catch them.

It would be like telling the US Gov to shut down the Postal service because possibly a small amount of illegal stuff is being mailed.

In a real world scenario you can’t remove the ability of people to break the law because their ability to break the law is ultimately governed by the laws of physics and their will.

But we are not in the real world, we are in the matrix, where Anet CAN remove the ability of people to circumvent their ability to make profit.

I don’t see these people as a few bad eggs. I see them as a particularly attractive portion of the gaming community (in a business sense), those that are willing to spend money for in game reward. These are the people that Anet really wants in the game. They just need to adjust the system so that they have a monopoly on gold sales.

Can you honestly say you would stop playing the game if you could not mail massive amounts of gold and items to other characters or receive it in the mail? Is it really that much of a coveted feature?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Jestunhi.7429

I have never quit an MMO due to bots, so I’m not sure whether someone would quit due to the removal of trading matters.

None of us speak for everyone.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Jestunhi.7429

All threads break when they are within a few posts of the end of the page.

Just another way that these forums are poorly coded (along with randomly changing language, not displaying quote buttons, etc, etc).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

1. The trading post is much easier to monitor then in game mail. If an item is sold for a price well outside its typical buy range it would send up multiple red flags, this is a non-issue. Heck there are multiple Player made programs and websites that can already do this.

2. Using in-game mail to avoid the 15% fee is just exploiting. If Anet wanted you doing this they would have added a person to person trade feature. Stop exploiting and scamming people and you don’t need to trade by mail.

3. An alternate donation system for WvW would be better anyway, the current asking for donations is 90% of the time just a scam to get free money. Another problem that would be solved by removing in-game gold trading.

Sounds like for the most part you guys don’t want your cheap exploited gold sources to go away, I have yet to see an legitimate reason not to implement this.

It’s more likely that you seem to think there isn’t a good reason not to remove it. How about many people find it a convenient way to give someone money? Removing it won’t solve the issue, there is still the trading post, guild bank transfers or sending a person an item that’s worth enough to get their gold.

Using your ideology of removing features of the game to fix other problems, you might as well close down all those aforementioned options as well. Just because you think you have a good idea, is hardly a reason to tell everyone else they’re wrong.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website