Requesting offical to salvage item change.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Slayer Lord.5023

Slayer Lord.5023

I am not the first to bring this up, but currently the Copper-fed Salvage has the item rarity increased drastically to ‘rare’ status. The description is that of a basic salvage kit.

This either means the kit is bugged or the description is. People, like myself, are worried about using the kits on high level materials because it could be an exploit. As an owned of this kit myself, I really need to know if it is okay to use it as a rare kit or not.

I REALLY WANT AN OFFICIAL RESPONSE ON THE CHANGE IF IT IS LEGIT OR IN ERROR. THIS IS OBVIOUSLY VERY IMPORTANT TO ME AND MANY OTHERS!

Jade Quarry Server

[DARK]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

Well it’s not an exploit. I would have never noticed if it were not for the forums. I hope it was a nice change. I would use your salvage kit and be happy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

You can’t get punished for using your salvage kit as you would normally do. The “bug” has been reported, carry on with your salvage. If it is not intended, they will change it.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jordiboy.2301

Jordiboy.2301

tbh if this was a bug im sure it would have been fixed by now? after there was the few patches after the patch last tuesday? it also turned “rare” a few days before it was on sale

Nadroj Lionheart
Human Female Guardian
Officer of Excessum [Exss]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

the problem with using it as you would normally do is that people have been punished for doing things as they would normally do under the pretense that “you should of recognized the exploit and not used it”:
super-cheap karma items for food crafting – people saw that ingredients were cheaper than what they could sell it for, so they made thousands of them.
salvage snowflake items – salvaged item gave more than it cost

we clearly recognize this exploit: paying 3c for a 61c salvage kit. If someone picked now to get to 300% mf by salvaging masterwork, they would make an extra 224g just in minor sigils, nevermind upgraded materials.
If someone normally salvages thousands of rare items for ectos, using this exploit instead of MSK would save them 5.8g per thousand rares.

That’s the downside to having a we-do-not-draw-lines stance: no one knows what will get them banned, so any little bug makes people fear for their account.

in Black Lion Trading Co

jazzllanna.1278

It is not an exploit. I have been working on my magic find and using the copper fed salvage thing I do not fear being banned for that.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Slayer Lord.5023

Slayer Lord.5023

I am hoping you all are right and that the Copper Salvage is worth every penny and then some. In my case, I used real dollars on it a few weeks after it was out.

I really do want someone from Anet to give me a yes or no on this. Put my mind at ease before I start to use it on more then just greens and blues.

Jade Quarry Server

[DARK]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I’m tossing in with the “they won’t say” crowd. If it’s a bug, and they do fix it. No harm, no foul. But if they confirm that it’s broken they there’s all sorts of problems if they tell current owners to stop using it (not sure if they can track what salvage kit is used for every salvage) but if they tell them don’t worry that would encourage other players to buy it for the “exploit”. Then others, not understanding it’s broken, buying it for the better stats and then get upset when the bug is fixed.

Keep it on the down low so when the fix is applied the vast number of players who don’t read the forums and don’t own one themselves will never know. Rule one about bugs that create “exploits” is you don’t tell your game’s population about it.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I am hoping you all are right and that the Copper Salvage is worth every penny and then some. In my case, I used real dollars on it a few weeks after it was out.

I really do want someone from Anet to give me a yes or no on this. Put my mind at ease before I start to use it on more then just greens and blues.

I started using it to salvage rares last friday, 3 days after patch. I am pretty sure that Anet is aware of the issue after the kittenstorm on the forums.

I savage between 50-150 rare per day and can assure anyone with a smaller sampling size that the CFSOM has the same drop rate for ectos as a mystic or masters salvage
kit.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

If you’re using it a lot, you should be concerned. You’re getting more sigils/runes than you should have, which means you’re making gold that otherwise should not have entered the economy. In the past, that has been a bannable offense.

These sigils/runes are not worth too much individually, but all that extra gold adds up. I personally would buy some basic salvage kits and use them until this thing is resolved.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I am very curious about this because if it is actually an intended change, I will spend $20 to buy two of them for my main characters. I never found it worth it for the basic kit, but for a master’s kit? The convenience of that is exactly what I’ll spend money on.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

If you’re using it a lot, you should be concerned. You’re getting more sigils/runes than you should have, which means you’re making gold that otherwise should not have entered the economy. In the past, that has been a bannable offense.

These sigils/runes are not worth too much individually, but all that extra gold adds up. I personally would buy some basic salvage kits and use them until this thing is resolved.

The extra profit cant be a measuring stone but the average cost can be.

Right now the average cost of a basic salvage kit use is 3.52c and the one of masters salvage kits is 61.44c

Also, it cant be an bannable offense because the rng keys for salvaging were never be released so there is no standard to see, if your CFSOM is bugged or not.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

jazzllanna.1278

I am sorry but there is no way I am going to start buying kits because of this. I have been using the copper fed guy since it came out because I hate buying kits. They cannot ban from this it would be crazy. It is not an exploit to use something that you have had for months. I honestly think the change was intentional anyways.

in Black Lion Trading Co

mtpelion.4562

Can you imagine the PR nightmare that would ensue if they banned players for using an item in game that was bought with real life money from the gem store?

No, they aren’t going to ban anyone over this. They are going to quietly patch it out at some point, but this is the kind of exploit that you can’t take action against players over because doing so would end your business.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

I bought it from Anet, I use it AS it’s intended to use. If it gives me more stuff. Nice. They cannot base it as exploit, because it’s an item that is specifically MADE for constant and frequent use.

in Black Lion Trading Co

mtpelion.4562

I bought it from Anet, I use it AS it’s intended to use. If it gives me more stuff. Nice. They cannot base it as exploit, because it’s an item that is specifically MADE for constant and frequent use.

Right. You paid extra money for this convenience item and are using it as intended.

The data we have suggests that it is not working as intended, which means it is up to ArenaNet to fix it (if it is bugged) or fix the description (if it has been changed).

Exploits are doing unintended things to reach desired results. Bugs are doing desired things and having unintended results.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

It’s honestly mind-blowing that this hasn’t gotten a response yet. This is a product people are spending real-life money on. The fact it wasn’t even noted in a patch is bad enough; the lack of a response afterward is terrible.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

Can you imagine the PR nightmare that would ensue if they banned players for using an item in game that was bought with real life money from the gem store?

No, they aren’t going to ban anyone over this. They are going to quietly patch it out at some point, but this is the kind of exploit that you can’t take action against players over because doing so would end your business.

They have banned people in the past for buying Black Lion Salvage Kits with $$ and using them to salvage a lot of specific rares (wintersday, the snowflake trinkets). People said ‘wtf thats not cool’ and got over it after a week.
they considered it an exploit because the trinkets could be made for less materials than salvaging it gave.
fast forward to now: these kits are clearly giving more materials than they are intended to give. All it will take for them to call it an exploit is someone salvaging 10,000 rares with it.

(edited by Mystic.5934)

in Black Lion Trading Co

mtpelion.4562

They have banned people in the past for buying Black Lion Salvage Kits with $$ and using them to salvage a lot of specific rares (wintersday, the snowflake trinkets). People said ‘wtf thats not cool’ and got over it after a week.

The big difference between that and this is that those people discovered a bug that impacted a specific item/items and then went out of their way to exploit it. Their purchases of BL salvage kits were made in order to exploit the bug.

The only way to NOT exploit the current bug (if it is a bug) is to stop using your Copper Fed kit. That is a completely unreasonable thing for them to ask since you paid real life money for it, and since they haven’t made that unreasonable request, they certainly cannot take action against those who continue to use their kits.

The reason they haven’t said anything is because they are working on a fix (to either the drop rate or to the item description) and they are hoping to get that fix in before knowledge of the bug becomes widespread (while the forums may all be well aware of the bug, the forums represent a very small minority of the game’s total user base).

It really comes down to intent in these cases. The Snowflakers intended to exploit a bug to get better results. The Copper Fed users simply intend to salvage and are getting better results.

It’s always a fine line you walk when bugs are present and you benefit from them, but a “reasonable person” approach would suggest that today’s bug won’t result in bans.

Full disclosure: I don’t own a Copper Kit, and won’t until this is fixed.

(edited by mtpelion.4562)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

This “bug” is a good thing for Anet. More people are buying the machine.

in Black Lion Trading Co

laharl.8435

The big difference between that and this is that those people discovered a bug that impacted a specific item/items and then went out of their way to exploit it. Their purchases of BL salvage kits were made in order to exploit the bug.

The only way to NOT exploit the current bug (if it is a bug) is to stop using your Copper Fed kit. That is a completely unreasonable thing for them to ask since you paid real life money for it, and since they haven’t made that unreasonable request, they certainly cannot take action against those who continue to use their kits.

The reason they haven’t said anything is because they are working on a fix (to either the drop rate or to the item description) and they are hoping to get that fix in before knowledge of the bug becomes widespread (while the forums may all be well aware of the bug, the forums represent a very small minority of the game’s total user base).

It really comes down to intent in these cases. The Snowflakers intended to exploit a bug to get better results. The Copper Fed users simply intend to salvage and are getting better results.

It’s always a fine line you walk when bugs are present and you benefit from them, but a “reasonable person” approach would suggest that today’s bug won’t result in bans.

Full disclosure: I don’t own a Copper Kit, and won’t until this is fixed.

The snowflake salvaging wasn’t a bug.

in Black Lion Trading Co

mtpelion.4562

[quote=3326020;laharl.8435
The snowflake salvaging wasn’t a bug.[/quote]

It was a bug, in that it allowed the creation of Globs of Ectoplasm through the use of Mithril, a clearly unintended result that clearly rewarded those who used the bug.

in Black Lion Trading Co

laharl.8435

It was a bug, in that it allowed the creation of Globs of Ectoplasm through the use of Mithril, a clearly unintended result that clearly rewarded those who used the bug.[/quote]

How is it a bug? There was no malfunctioning code, everything was functioning as intended as far as I know. It was an exploit of existing mechanics.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

The snowflake salvaging wasn’t a bug.

It was a bug, in that it allowed the creation of Globs of Ectoplasm through the use of Mithril, a clearly unintended result that clearly rewarded those who used the bug.

How is it a bug? There was no malfunctioning code, everything was functioning as intended as far as I know. It was an exploit of existing mechanics.

Virtually every computer bug (except for those that are the result of faulty hardware) is the result of code doing exactly what you told it to do. It’s just you mistakenly told it the wrong thing to do.

It’s a bug because they never intended the recipe to be what it was.