Who are these people?

Who are these people?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Blood Dancer.2394

Blood Dancer.2394

So I was looking around the BLTP and then I see this.

Hm the lowest seller is at 79.87…..I wonder how much I should sell for…. Oh I know! I’ll undercut by 19.67 -_-

Seriously,what is wrong with these people? What is there to gain by doing this? There are so many other items where people undercut by over 5 silver. Are these Anet’s people trying to control prices or just players trolling others?

Attachments:

Who are these people?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Brendar.3548

Brendar.3548

Ummm…I’m failing to see what your point is here. That’s how things work. You want to have a better chance at making money than your compititors, so you reduce your price just enough that people will buy yours first. That’s how it works in the real world. It’s not trolling, its not ANet trying to control the TP. There are many other things to address in TP, this isn’t one of them.

Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed.

Who are these people?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Humposaurus.5764

Humposaurus.5764

Nah, you undercut the price of the commodity you want to buy. For instance if a t6 blood is selling for 25 silver, and I put up a few for 20 silver chances are that other ppl will join my 20 silver or undercutting it even more. When there are some posted at 20 silver or less you buy them instead of instantly buying them at 25 silver.

This is how I buy stuff on the TP.

Who are these people?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ATC Alpha.4098

ATC Alpha.4098

I have like 6 pages of rare armor pieces posted and prices have dropped around 5 silver more or less. I guess that’s because of the ecto prices going down a bit and people flipping them, ordering and reselling. Should I repost my items? :S

Who are these people?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: morphemass.2850

morphemass.2850

@OP: I know, it drives me insane seeing people more or less crash a particular line of profit. OFTEN what happens with large drops though is that someone is fullfilling a buy order and the buyer pulls the order which causes the sellers items to be placed on sale at the buyers price. A very annoying “feature”.

I have like 6 pages of rare armor pieces posted and prices have dropped around 5 silver more or less. I guess that’s because of the ecto prices going down a bit and people flipping them, ordering and reselling. Should I repost my items? :S

I’m in a similar situation but with several hundred items – the last time the market dropped I pulled and reposted them with a 5% loss (plus the drop in price). This time I’m just leaving them since in the longer term there will probably be a re-upsurge (it may be weeks, may be months). For 5 items though….yeah I would repost.

Who are these people?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: AWSUMSAUCE.4372

AWSUMSAUCE.4372

I have several exotics that i fear will never sell. If you’re going to list epothecary staffs and such at 3g50 then I fear theres not much hope…

Who are these people?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Sometimes it occurs by accident.

Take for example you have 18 bags of kittens, and the asking price is 3 silver. Some guy is buying 6 bags of kittens for 2 silver each and you decide you’d rather have you gold sooner rather than later, so you sell your 18 bags of kittens for 2 silver.

But the top buyer is only buying 6 bags of kittens, the remaining 12 bags get automaticlly listed for 2 silver each, resulting in a 1 silver undercut, and a lot of kittening coming out the other traders for your crazy undercut

Other times though it’s just stupid people. When you have millions of players, there’s a a high probability at least one of them is stupid

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Who are these people?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

Nah, you undercut the price of the commodity you want to buy. For instance if a t6 blood is selling for 25 silver, and I put up a few for 20 silver chances are that other ppl will join my 20 silver or undercutting it even more. When there are some posted at 20 silver or less you buy them instead of instantly buying them at 25 silver.

<nods in agreement>
Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.

Who are these people?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: whiran.1473

whiran.1473

Some people just want to sell stuff quickly and don’t think that the current price represents a ‘fair’ price for an item. So, they will list the item at what they think is a fair price.

If they undercut your sales by too much buy them up and relist them. Or, if the market solidifies around that new price then deal with it. That’s the new price for the item (and suggests that the original price had some fluff in it so count yourself lucky for making that extra profit while people were buying it.)

There are all kinds of reasons why people undercut by a large amount. Trying to blame or even suggesting that it is ArenaNet is… well… yeah.

Who are these people?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

How is this advantageous over posting a buy at 20s?

Who are these people?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: kateuk.7538

kateuk.7538

It’s the same on other MMOs, although I find it’s worse in the school holidays….

Who are these people?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kore wa Sparta.3750

Kore wa Sparta.3750

The better question is, why are you posting your price so high from the current highest buy order? The midline between where the highest buy order and lowest sell order is sometimes the best spot to place your sell orders at. If you don’t want to go that low, tough luck, because other people might.

Who are these people?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

<nods in agreement>

nice price manipulation, hope someone smart is quick and buys them all

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Who are these people?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Blood Dancer.2394

Blood Dancer.2394

@ATC Alpha.4098 sounds like you’re selling lvl 80’s. There’s actually still hope for those. Ecto prices flactuate a lot cause people also undercut like crazy there too. It peaked at 38-39 silver a few days ago and dropped back down to 32 today. If you’re willing to take a risk it might be better to leave them there. Or just repost half and leave the other half posted just to be on the safe side. morphemass is right about the re-upsurge. Those Greatsword of Restorations used to be less than 50 silver. Went all the way to 80-90 silver during the last event.

@whiran ok that Anet remark was just the rage talking. The 19.67 undecut is just…well…yeah

@ This is Sparta I actually didn’t post at that price. I was at 69-70. Woke up and saw that it finally went all the way up to 80 and then someone decided to sell at 60.

Who are these people?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

<nods in agreement>

nice price manipulation, hope someone smart is quick and buys them all

Yeah.

The TP hs a bad interface that makes this type of manipulation easy, because as a seller, you don’t see that information, you got to look atthe item as a buyer to see all the listings.

IMHO the sell-list should have the same info as the buy-list and this kind of stuff will stop.

Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.

Who are these people?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DenverRalphy.4185

DenverRalphy.4185

You don’t always adjust your price to that specific item. Sometimes a seller will look at other similar items with similar (but not exact) stats.

For all you know, when somebody undercut the current lowest price of that specific greatswoard by a substantial margin, it may simply be because he/she looked at what other greatswords of similar quality were selling at, and priced accordingly.

My guess is… that seller wanted to ensure his item was the first item in the list when a buyer searched for greatswords of that rarity and level, then sorted the list by price.

More often than not, most players will submit their search, then sort the search by price. And then they’ll pick the first one they’re happy with as cheaply as they can get. Most players don’t bother zeroing in on specific types until they start shopping for exotics. When shopping for rares or less, most players just shop for their primary stat, and hope for the best, but allow price to be a major factor.

(edited by DenverRalphy.4185)

Who are these people?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It could be due to any number of reasons, but the main one that comes to my mind is that sometimes the gap between buy and sell prices are so high that you know that posting your item a few coppers under the lowest seller will still result in waiting days, or even weeks, for a buyer. Maybe the seller needs money in a hurry and so decides to offer his item for much cheaper in the hopes of getting a quick sale (whether it be from a genuine buyer or a power trader who snaps it up to resell later).

Who are these people?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

You don’t always adjust your price to that specific item. Sometimes a seller will look at other similar items with similar (but not exact) stats.

For all you know, when somebody undercut the current lowest price of that specific greatswoard by a substantial margin, it may simply be because he/she looked at what other greatswords of similar quality were selling at, and priced accordingly.

My guess is… that seller wanted to ensure his item was the first item in the list when a buyer searched for greatswords of that rarity and level, then sorted the list by price.

More often than not, most players will submit their search, then sort the search by price. And then they’ll pick the first one they’re happy with as cheaply as they can get. Most players don’t bother zeroing in on specific types until they start shopping for exotics. When shopping for rares or less, most players just shop for their primary stat, and hope for the best, but allow price to be a major factor.

Actually I’ve seen this before (lvl 35 crafted rares) and the problem was that for every item between the prefix sets, the low price was undercutting the next price by 5-10s, which in turn was undercutting the next by another 5-10s. Only when you went up about 3 posts did a gradual increment of <1s emerge. So the fact that other, similar items are stupidly undercut doesn’t change the root of the problem, which is the stupid undercutting. It just creates a domino effect.

And for the record, I waited a few days for one of the items to clear the undercut price (25s), and then posted a 1c undercut at 40s. It sold in minutes.

(edited by Leablo.2651)