Why are so many willing to sell things on the TP at a loss?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: hauntedwolfman.2930

hauntedwolfman.2930

I couldn’t wait for the Trading Post to come back online because, in beta at least, I was able to sell unneeded drops at a decent profit from wherever I happened to be standing. “Oh the money I’ll have when it goes live,” I’d naively think to myself.

I know this isn’t beta, so you can’t base any real judgements about the live economy on that, but I really do not understand why SO MANY people are selling these drops on the TP one copper above vendor price. I get that they probably don’t realize there’s a 10% selling fee, but do they REALLY not see the 5 copper listing fee? They’re actively LOSING money and sinking the in-game economy at the same time. The thing is, it’s not just “6 available from 4 sellers” – it’s “598 available from 486 sellers”.

Sure, the game is new and there are a ton of players at the same level, but why do people do this? Even if the stuff was under-valued, wouldn’t you at least want to make 1 copper MORE than the vendor price? Oy…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sixpax.8360

Sixpax.8360

To free up inventory space without visiting an NPC.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Untouch.2541

Untouch.2541

People aren’t very smart, also so they can vendor stuff without going to a vendor.
Little do the know the stuff never sells.

Remove the ability to put stuff in the TP from anywhere, people would complain, but it needs to be done.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: baldsh.3896

baldsh.3896

The only people it hurts are those who like to play the trading house to earn their money, for the rest of the player base it’s great to find affordable equipment. People who play the market game tend to jack the prices of items for no reason either than lining their own pockets, which is fine, it’s all part of the game. If you are a trader and truly want to play the market, buy the cheap items and re-sell them as so many people do, sure it’s not all that great for the economy and you have to tie up your own gold in investments, but that’s the way it should be.

In the end it really doesn’t matter, you only see it as a loss because you could have made the extra two coppers, the person selling it got it for free, not counting “time is money”, so they are making a profit, just not as large of one as they could.

I am not saying this is you, but I have read this same post often enough and I have no sympathy for those who play the markets, they are a large part of inflation and the longer they are held back by large influxes of cheap equipment the better.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: akuzum.5263

akuzum.5263

I guess, the drop rate was too high when the game came out. Do think about 50+ worlds’ players selling their very same goods on TP.
Everybody dropped their prices and the lowest price is 1 copper above the NPC price.
Besides as Sixpax said who wants to get out of a dungeon and go to sell trash to an NPC while you can TP them.
Which it has like infinite space.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lctl.6198

Lctl.6198

Why sell to an npc, when someone , somewhere, can use it?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

People aren’t very smart, also so they can vendor stuff without going to a vendor.

Remove the ability to put stuff in the TP from anywhere, people would complain, but it needs to be done.

I agree with this. Just being able to use the TP anywhere is making people use it just as a portable vendor. IMO, you should have to visit an NPC to sell or buy.

At first I thought it was a great idea to sell anywhere, now after experiencing it, not really.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: GrimShade.8091

GrimShade.8091

Because people haven’t figured out that every heart quest giver becomes a vendor after you do the HQ. Between ‘send crafting materials to storage’ and selling to the HQ guys I never have an issue with storage or vending.

But really people tend to think that the TP is how to sell things even if it’s a basic white item. people are stupid and we don’t want to make them use their brains. Leave it be and let them clutter up the TP with junk.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Killua.8041

Killua.8041

It’s mainly an issue with crafted items, you spend a bunch to buy the materials just to end up selling it to the npc due to the TP’s price for it…

O Killua O – Asura Mesmer | Killuas – Asura Engineer
Bookah Protector – Asura Guardian | Trapped Spirit – Asura Necromancer

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: VendettaDFA.9368

VendettaDFA.9368

Not everyone playing this game has a previous TP (AH) experience to draw from. The economy of the Trading Post will even out over time. Until then, do what proper business people do .. buy low, sell for higher. Eventually the market will catch up. You may also have to take into account that the vendors may actually be overpriced and those NPC’s may have to deal with basic supply being higher than demand. This is an RPG after all and markets could change.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

I think this was actually initiated by some crafters and perpetuated by people on the camp who want to get rid of items quickly. They may not be doing it at a loss because they may be freeing slots for valuable loots without the expense of visiting a merchant.

Essentially, everything is cheap because of how crafting is designed and how people choose to make use of it. The fact that they made crafting reward exp doesn’t help either. People don’t value crafted goods, but the act of crafting itself.

Now there is just too many of those items around, and no one willing to buy even at floor price.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Blighton.6425

Blighton.6425

I couldn’t wait for the Trading Post to come back online because, in beta at least, I was able to sell unneeded drops at a decent profit from wherever I happened to be standing. “Oh the money I’ll have when it goes live,” I’d naively think to myself.

I know this isn’t beta, so you can’t base any real judgements about the live economy on that, but I really do not understand why SO MANY people are selling these drops on the TP one copper above vendor price. I get that they probably don’t realize there’s a 10% selling fee, but do they REALLY not see the 5 copper listing fee? They’re actively LOSING money and sinking the in-game economy at the same time. The thing is, it’s not just “6 available from 4 sellers” – it’s “598 available from 486 sellers”.

Sure, the game is new and there are a ton of players at the same level, but why do people do this? Even if the stuff was under-valued, wouldn’t you at least want to make 1 copper MORE than the vendor price? Oy…

cause like IRL im not greedy

i also give stuff away if people are nearby and want it
i pay 0 coin for weapons and armor drops
i pay 0 coins for any of my crafting materials.

*Edit- i will always sell items i get from drops @ vendor or whatever the default is. why?
i got the item from drop which cost me 0, if i sell it at 10 or less, that’s a more then i had before i got the item in the first place, still a profit. items i craft are the same as i get the crafting materials from drops, which again, cost 0

(edited by Blighton.6425)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Maxster.4521

Maxster.4521

The only people it hurts are those who like to play the trading house to earn their money, for the rest of the player base it’s great to find affordable equipment. People who play the market game tend to jack the prices of items for no reason either than lining their own pockets, which is fine, it’s all part of the game. If you are a trader and truly want to play the market, buy the cheap items and re-sell them as so many people do, sure it’s not all that great for the economy and you have to tie up your own gold in investments, but that’s the way it should be.

In the end it really doesn’t matter, you only see it as a loss because you could have made the extra two coppers, the person selling it got it for free, not counting “time is money”, so they are making a profit, just not as large of one as they could.

I am not saying this is you, but I have read this same post often enough and I have no sympathy for those who play the markets, they are a large part of inflation and the longer they are held back by large influxes of cheap equipment the better.

Where market exists, there will be market players.
Inability to change(lower) price for sell order, for a fixed fee, makes crafting useless for profit. Playing tp way more profitable.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Krynoid.9516

Krynoid.9516

The above needs to be implemented, too many players are just using the TP to empty their bags.
Stop the ability to add items from the interface or on the items, there might be some moans but overall people will see that the idea makes the game better.

Or some sell fee per item, as it is crafting stuff to sell is a waste of time.

(edited by Krynoid.9516)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Krynoid.9516

Krynoid.9516

At the moment the TP is at the other end of the discussion , it isnt really in general being used as a Trading Post, its just being used as a vendor for vendor prices (near enough).

I would like a Trading Post that is at least worth putting an item that you have as a drop worth putting on there, or an item you have crafted.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wazabi.1439

Wazabi.1439

removing the ability to sell anywhere won’t change a thing, trash will be trash. The only reason you can sell for so much is because the beta economy is significantly smaller than what it is now. GW2 economy has a closer resemblance to real world economy than most other games (except EVE). If you’re not familiar with investing or running a business in the real world, chances are you won’t be making big money in GW2 either.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kyran Foxfire.4139

Kyran Foxfire.4139

This topic is coming up pretty frequently. Usually it comes down to:

-Don’t know there’s a tax.
-Don’t know there’s a nearby vendor.
-Too inattentive and and apathetic to realize what’s an optimal use of time.
-Just want to put something away for the time being.

What that basically means is that it’s a buyer’s market right now.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wazabi.1439

It’s always a buyer’s market when there’s excess supply and competition. You also left out:
-do not know how to corner the market in a large market
-does not take into fact that they are also buying thing cheap

I blame this on the small market of other MMO. That kind off indoctrinate players to trade in a certain way to make money and gets so fixated on it that most can’t adapt to a newer and more efficient system. Those that understands the fundamentals of trading however, will have no problem at all.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Kyran Foxfire.4139

If that was in response to me, Wazabi, that had nothing to do with my point. :P I don’t really care if it’s a buyer’s or seller’s market, I’m just stating it as a fact.

There is no advantage to selling things for less than you would to a vendor. None, zilch, nada. You don’t even save time. People do it because the button is there, but is by no means helping them in any manner of speaking. If they won’t accept reason that’s their own decision.

I’ve pointed it out quite recently and it has helped out many, so I can live with that.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wazabi.1439

You’re right in that many didn’t realize there was a 10% sales tax, and I myself find doing so inefficient. That’s probably the major factor why people are selling at a lost.

I’m trying to determine what motivates op to make this post. I don’t think it’s to educate people on the sales tax. I think it’s more that he thinks ppl selling at a loss is preventing him for selling his items at a higher price.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Psilocin.1435

Psilocin.1435

Or they simply don’t care if they get one silver or eighty-five copper for an item. Sure, in the long run it adds up, but just throwing everything you have on the TP, not having to go to a vendor, and then eventually seeing that one gold you can collect is enough incentive to not sell to vendor.

There are two things humans will never observe; infinity and nothingness.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: liquidr.9740

liquidr.9740

With so many things selling at below vendor prices after TP listing costs, would it be better to vendor the items or to salvage the items for their mats?

“Have fun storming the castle.”

(edited by liquidr.9740)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: dragonfire.4638

dragonfire.4638

With so many things selling at below vendor prices after TP listing costs, would it be better to vendor the items or to salvage the items for their mats?

I am with you. For me it has being difficult to sell a lot in TP. Reason per say is due to many selling the same item for just 1c over vendor price. Where i will try to sell it for at least 8-10c about so i can make something and it still reasonable price. I hate having to either sell for same price, because cant go lower, the game wont let me and too high no one will buy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: gametaunt.9105

gametaunt.9105

what you could do instead is trade your usefull trading materials with your friends.

this way you dont waste any coppers on the trading post

no-one needs evrything. and some of the prices are quite reasonable and fluctuate quite alot

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ravive.2817

Ravive.2817

Like some others have said why give it to an npc when maybe another player can use the item, and in turn maybe another player will put up something I can use for a low price so it works out.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

Why sell to an npc, when someone , somewhere, can use it?

I’m so tired of hearing this excuse.

If you really wanted someone to use it just give it away, instead of ruining the economy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

A lot of it has to do with drop rate of some items. A lot of it has to do with you can put any item you want up anywhere. A lot of it is that people don’t know how to calculate what the sale price should be to include the listing and sell fee.

I do not think removing the ability to sell items in the trading post is the answer. That will cause more problems then it solves. I honestly think introducing an expiration date on a buy/sell order will solve the problem. It is basically telling players who sell things of no value. I am sorry no-one wants this right now. While also adjusting for bugs high concurrent users in areas and over-dropping on loot. The question is what time period should things expire. That is why I opened up a discussion about it in the suggestions forum.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Expire-Buy-Sell-orders/first#post105830

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

(edited by anzenketh.3759)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Kyran Foxfire.4139

That may be the best solution. I admit it’s convenient to be able to compare things to the trading post while at a vendor. Also, in games that require you to visit a specific set of NPCs for this, there tends to be a serious crowd around them.

As for the question about whether to vendor items or salvage them for mats, that depends on the item. Last I checked, there’s a good demand for Jute Scraps at the moment so any low level light armor or shredded rags would be totally worth salvaging to put on the market. For most everything else, not so much… at least not yet.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ziggy.7319

Ziggy.7319

To free up inventory space without visiting an NPC.

this^^

some other reasons is that people aren’t smart enough to check the item to the npc vendor price. combine this with the nature of the TP of bundling items up anonymously telling you exactly whats the lowest price, and items being allowed to stay up indifinetly clogging the system to drive prices down further than they should.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wazabi.1439

The reason many people calling for change is that they think it will allow them to sell their trash loot at a higher price. Yes, but the question is will anyone buy it? You can get 10 blue in 1 hour…guess what…so is the other 2 million players playing the game. What makes your blue more special than mine?

These changes in mechanism will not change the fundamentals on how economic works. Putting an expiry (which I’m actually ok for) will make it harder for the less economically inclined player to make a higher profit as they do not know how to properly price their goods, and are now given a time constrain. They’ll probably price it even lower in order to avoid re-posting. Not able to sell on the field will only remove the cluttering in TP…it doesn’t suddenly makes me to want your item more and willing to pay more than vendor+1c for it.

I’m glad the TP works this way. Was able to buy a full set of rare lv80 armor for less than 1G.