Why is cloth more valuable than leather?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Thala.2801

Thala.2801

There’s gotta be something I’m missing from this line of thought. Scrap/section prices look like this.

Jute: 1s19c
Rawhide: 31c

Wool: 4s29c
Thin: 64c

Cotton: 2s84c
Coarse: 1s84c

Linen: 5s88c
Rugged: 3s52c

Silk: 2s10c
Thick: 20c

Gossamer: 3s40c
Hardened: 38c

I can make absolutely no sense out of this. Cloth is used for light armor, which is used by 3 jobs. Leather is used for medium armor, which is used by 3 jobs. Both are only obtainable by salvaging and bags, not from resource nodes. Cloth is used for for insignias, but it’s not really the cloth components that make insignias valuable, certainly not enough to justify such a drastic difference.

So what gives? Why is the demand for cloth so much stronger than the demand for leather when they’re uses and obtainability are reasonably similar?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Noah.4756

Noah.4756

It has to do with the fact that cloth is used in all ascended armor recipes. Which is a pretty big design flaw because it makes crafting ascended armor for light classes much more expensive. For example, the ascended chest piece for light class is 27 gold more expensive to craft than the chest piece for a heavy class.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Cloth is used by all armor crafting disciplines, not just for tailoring.

Also the reason why it’s high is because of damask, which is used in a LOT of things. All the ascended armor uses it, and some back pieces as well. In comparison, the ascended leather is used on medium ascended only (and ascended back pieces that require 15 types).

You can compare the number of recipes yourself:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bolt_of_Damask
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elonian_Leather_Square

IMO heavy armor should require leather + ingots instead, since that makes more sense.

(edited by Shifu.4321)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Thala.2801

Thala.2801

That…makes way too much sense. I haven’t done medium or heavy ascended sets yet, but I most certainly failed to consider ascended level insignias when I was considering all the things. Well then! Thanks for helping me clear that up.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Also damask requires 300 silk while ascended leather only needs 150 thick leather.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I have also the feeling that there are way more mobs that drop leather than salvageable cloth stuff.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

Cloth is used by all armor crafting disciplines, not just for tailoring.

Also the reason why it’s high is because of damask, which is used in a LOT of things. All the ascended armor uses it, and some back pieces as well. In comparison, the ascended leather is used on medium ascended only (and ascended back pieces that require 15 types).

You can compare the number of recipes yourself:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bolt_of_Damask
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elonian_Leather_Square

IMO heavy armor should require leather + ingots instead, since that makes more sense.

I’d agree about the heavy armor…

But Ascended insignias still require 3 Bolts of Damask each… Which is 3 per piece of Ascended armor.

By comparison, most medium or heavy armor “linings” only need 1 Damask (except for head armor which needs 2).

I don’t think Ascended crafting was all that well thought out aside from “WE NEED A MASSIVE MATERIAL SINK!”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

So what gives? Why is the demand for cloth so much stronger than the demand for leather when they’re uses and obtainability are reasonably similar?

John Smith changed the recipe for silk from 2 scraps to 3 scraps.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Because leather is far mor common than cloth. Ive sold over 1000 peices of t5 leather (hard leather?) That ive aquired in a matter of a couple of weeks. Ive gotton no where near that amount of silk.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Must be RNG. I’m getting more Silk than Leather. Not a huge difference, by any means (about 60:40 in favor of Silk), but it’s noticeable in my material storage.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

As mentioned, leather has less uses than cloth which means there is less demand. Based on my drop rate research, leather also has a higher chance to drop from the most commonly acquired bags which means that it also has a supply glut.

Low Demand + High Supply = Stupid Low Prices

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Noah.4756

Noah.4756

John Smith changed the recipe for silk from 2 scraps to 3 scraps.

I remember why the silk cloth recipe was changed from 2 to 3. Because there was a time where silk scraps were overabundant. Much like how useless Bloodstone Dust is now.

But now the market for silk scraps is turning into a buyer’s market and prices are much higher than other similar materials. One way to fix price discrepancy would be to return to the old recipe of 2 silk scraps for 1 silk cloth. For example, this could reduce the big price gap between crafting ascended light armor and the other armor types.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I do agree that Silk was overcorrected back when Ascended armorcrafting was introduced. They probably could have left it as 2 scraps → 1 bolt and had the 100 Bolts per Damask change, or increased it to 3 scraps → 1 bolt and kept the 50 Bolts per Damask in line with other T7 mats.

However, it seems like the market IS capable of bearing the Silk prices, despite what we as players might feel about it, so I doubt we’ll see a correction anytime soon. (As much as I’d like one personally.)