solution for unauthorized RMT

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Herosandwich.6203

Herosandwich.6203

Anet, it’s time to suck it up and stop over administrating your RMT. allow people to set what THEY think the value of gold is, and suddenly the problem with “illegal” gold sellers is a thing of the past. why do you think gold sellers are making money? maybe because your idea of “hey lets sell them 22g for 50 bucks and call it even” without letting people place buy/sell orders in order to balance the market THEMSELVES is highway robbery? maybe we’re not okay with being treated like sheep? honestly, we’re fed up with it. let us decide what gold is worth to us. because your expectations of how much money it should net YOU is entirely unreasonable.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ebrown.8193

ebrown.8193

Personally I’ve always wondered why Gems aren’t tradeable.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

Personally I’ve always wondered why Gems aren’t tradeable.

Because selling gems for $$$ is their income, plain and simple. You can’t give away this market to players, they need a sustainable income.

Personally, I am glad they allow people to buy gems with gold at all. If I had a gaming company, I am not sure I would allow this, it cuts your income by ALOT. I am sure their marketing departement did quite alot of thinking about this and decided to let people buy gems for gold anyway. But they can’t free that price entirely: one way or another, they need to make money to keep going.

Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.

in Black Lion Trading Co

ebrown.8193

Because selling gems for $$$ is their income, plain and simple. You can’t give away this market to players, they need a sustainable income.

Personally, I am glad they allow people to buy gems with gold at all. If I had a gaming company, I am not sure I would allow this, it cuts your income by ALOT. I am sure their marketing departement did quite alot of thinking about this and decided to let people buy gems for gold anyway. But they can’t free that price entirely: one way or another, they need to make money to keep going.

But don’t they control the supply of gems completely? They can set the $ to gems, gems to gold, gold to gems conversion to whatever they want. By giving the players a hand in how much gems are worth in gold would make me happy, because lets face it their rate of gems to gold sucks. You know they’re going to be making money either way.

4000 gems for $50 is bad enough as it is. While the price of gems to gold may change over time, the real world currency to gems rate is going to get old fast. Especially when they have events like Halloween. Yes, you can buy all those items with gems from gold, but if you’re a casual, with not a lot of time on your hands those things will fall by the wayside and you’re going to feel resentment.

It’s a great game and I love it, but the biggest turn off for me, by far, is the economy. Flat out. I know it’s new, but compared to other mmo’s auction houses and trading posts and whatnot, gw2 has some ground to cover. In a word: overambitious.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

because they have enough issues with people using stolen credit cards to buy accounts, imagine if they allowed people to buy gems and sell them to other players.

Gold farming companies would buy massive amounts of gems with stolen credit cards (or legit players would reverse the charges) and sell the gems to other players.

What happens is the charges are disputed and reserved then ANet is paying reverse charges and now our economy has massive amounts of gems flooding it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: kitanas.3596

kitanas.3596

/sigh

we already control the gem→gold rate.

/thread

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: NoOneShotU.3479

NoOneShotU.3479

There are two sides of this market. You’re complaining that Anet isn’t competitive because their gold isn’t cheep enough.

The people buying gems are complaining they aren’t getting enough for their gold because illegal gold buyers have inflated the gem prices (meaning you get more for your legit gem sale).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

gold sellers usually is the best indicator of how easy/hard gold be gotten in a game so they know the reasonable value of gold.

it doesn’t matter if they use bots. all that matters is they do the most optimized method of acquiring gold. if you base the value of gold based on how much a CASUAL player earn then you are overpricing it because he won’t be close to reaching the ceiling rate of gold acquisition per day.

(disclaimer: im not suggesting that you should buy gold to gold sellers)

(edited by alcopaul.2156)

in Black Lion Trading Co

alcopaul.2156

/sigh

we already control the gem->gold rate.

/thread

again, we control its movement. but a.net set its initial value. it’s not self adjusting and what i mean by self adjusting is to adjust considering inflation and the value of gold.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

/sigh

/thread

Lol we dont control it. A la/like rift does- that was what we were promised and didnt get.
that is what has lead us here.

in Black Lion Trading Co

kitanas.3596

/sigh

/thread

again, we control its movement. but a.net set its initial value. it’s not self adjusting and what i mean by self adjusting is to adjust considering inflation and the value of gold.

If we control it’s movement, then it is self adjusting, as market forces will shift it to the true value of gems<->gold. Areanet set the initial value at the begging of head-start, three months ago when everyone’s purchasing power was 0. Why do you think that the price now has any relation to the initial price three months ago.

Narkosys, you evidence for that is. because if you look at the price of gems on GW2spidey, you would see that it fluctuates like any other commodity on the TP, which we know we control. therefore, we control the gem→gold price as well.

About the gold sellers having a better grasp on the price of gold, why do you think that? It’s analogous to saying the a chop shop has a better idea on the value of car parts. since they get their gold though illegal means, they can sell it cheaper then market value and still make a profit.

(edited by kitanas.3596)

in Black Lion Trading Co

alcopaul.2156

/sigh

/thread

If we control it’s movement, then it is self adjusting, as market forces will shift it to the true value of gems<->gold. Areanet set the initial value at the begging of head-start, three months ago when everyone’s purchasing power was 0. Why do you think that the price now has any relation to the initial price three months ago.

Narkosys, you evidence for that is. because if you look at the price of gems on GW2spidey, you would see that it fluctuates like any other commodity on the TP, which we know we control. therefore, we control the gem->gold price as well.

About the gold sellers having a better grasp on the price of gold, why do you think that? It’s analogous to saying the a chop shop has a better idea on the value of car parts. since they get their gold though illegal means, they can sell it cheaper then market value and still make a profit.

if we control the movement, it’s not self adjusting. it adjusts according to how we move it. it’s self adjusting if takes note of golds actual value and purchasing power(doing some crazy market statistical analysis) and inflation (doing some crazy statistical analysis, again.)

in Black Lion Trading Co

alcopaul.2156

Gold acquisition is gold acquisition. And there are no classifications of gold. Gold is gold. it is one kind. so there is no difference in quality of gold. and all of virtually who plays the game, even those who bot it, gets gold. the one who knows the best optimized way/botting knows the maximum gold output per day of the game. so they know how hard/easy gold can be acquired and also real life monetary value of gold. if gold sellers want to compete with anet and earn a buck, they could make it closer to what bltc price. but no.

in Black Lion Trading Co

alcopaul.2156

/sigh

/thread

the price now has a relation to the initial price 3 months ago. it is evident in the current value of gem->gold. it is still low. if the initial price is higher and the rates are self adjusting, then bltc would have a reasonable gem→ gold conversion rates.

in Black Lion Trading Co

kitanas.3596

if we control the movement, it’s not self adjusting. it adjusts according to how we move it. it’s self adjusting if takes note of golds actual value and purchasing power(doing some crazy market statistical analysis) and inflation (doing some crazy statistical analysis, again.)

Ok, but where would we move it to. where the consensus is the value. which is the definition of market value, right? what the consensus is that something is worth?

Gold acquisition is gold acquisition. And there are no classifications of gold. Gold is gold. it is one kind. so there is no difference in quality of gold. and all of virtually who plays the game, even those who bot it, gets gold. the one who knows the best optimized way/botting knows the maximum gold output per day of the game. so they know how hard/easy gold can be acquired and also real life monetary value of gold. if gold sellers want to compete with anet and earn a buck, they could make it closer to what bltc price. but no.

you still haven’t explained how these no the real money value of gold. you just say they do. And if they have more gold then the majority of people, (artificially so, in the case of bots/hacked accounts) then would they value gold less then the average person?

/sigh

/thread

the price now has a relation to the initial price 3 months ago. it is evident in the current value of gem->gold. it is still low. if the initial price is higher and the rates are self adjusting, then bltc would have a reasonable gem-> gold conversion rates.

their system can handle rapid changes in prices. we saw this with halloween. so I would argue that if the price had started Higher, It would have immediately crashed, and come out, in the end, looking exactly like it is now.

in Black Lion Trading Co

alcopaul.2156

Ok, but where would we move it to. where the consensus is the value. which is the definition of market value, right? what the consensus is that something is worth?

you still haven’t explained how these no the real money value of gold. you just say they do. And if they have more gold then the majority of people, (artificially so, in the case of bots/hacked accounts) then would they value gold less then the average person?

/sigh

/thread

the price now has a relation to the initial price 3 months ago. it is evident in the current value of gem->gold. it is still low. if the initial price is higher and the rates are self adjusting, then bltc would have a reasonable gem-> gold conversion rates.

their system can handle rapid changes in prices. we saw this with halloween. so I would argue that if the price had started Higher, It would have immediately crashed, and come out, in the end, looking exactly like it is now.

they could go with the gold sellers price. or if i were a.net, i would secretly bot my game just to know if it tallies with the gold sellers offer (and destroy the gold earned afterwards) or if it tallies with the richest hard core players gold acquistion or to know how easy or hard gold acquisition is so that they could have hard data. why am i suggesting this? coz anybody can bot or find the most optimized way to amass gold but nobody can make gold programatically.

these gold sellers set the price of the gold based on how they acquire it and based on its main competitors price. you set the value of gold based on the lowest market price because there is no such thing as “Tyrian gold carats aka quality of gold – less quality of gold, lower price, high quality of gold, higher price”.

the spike won’t ever crash the market basing on a fact that a precursor costs 400g to acquire.

in Black Lion Trading Co

kitanas.3596

/sigh

/thread

they could go with the gold sellers price. or if i were a.net, i would secretly bot my game just to know if it tallies with the gold sellers offer (and destroy the gold earned afterwards) or if it tallies with the richest hard core players gold acquistion or to know how easy or hard gold acquisition is so that they could have hard data. why am i suggesting this? coz anybody can bot or find the most optimized way to amass gold but nobody can make gold programatically.

these gold sellers set the price of the gold based on how they acquire it and based on its main competitors price. you set the value of gold based on the lowest market price because there is no such thing as “Tyrian gold carats aka quality of gold – less quality of gold, lower price, high quality of gold, higher price”.

the spike won’t ever crash the market basing on a fact that a precursor costs 400g to acquire.

If they changed the price, it would just change back. It IS at market price. what factor could possibly beholding it below market price? the initial point doesn’t make sense, as the market is to volatile for it to have any impact anymore. so what else is left?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Luigio.3265

Luigio.3265

correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the exchange ratio get lower the more people do it ?

what about gold seller gold? with gold buyers getting so much gold from botters world wide (lets face it, they wouldnt have had to ban 4k bots if it wasnt profitable in some manner to…well…bot) isnt a big part of that gold being used to buy gems and further altering the price? how does that work out?

maybe im not understanding what factors the exchange fluctuates upon

in Black Lion Trading Co

alcopaul.2156

If they changed the price, it would just change back. It IS at market price.

no, if they change the price to a reasonable get off point and let the market roll again from there (we need this since it is not self adjusting), more people will be enticed to buy gems from bltc coz the gem->gold ratio is reasonable. it won’t change back. you need the initial jolt to get the gem to gold market going.

and to add, it will potentially put those gold sellers out of business because they could only earn a certain amount of gold per day (with all real life and programmatic factors considered) and they have to work twice or thrice or who knows as hard now. you would see 100g+5% gold going upto 10 dollars which is not profitable on their part. it could happen but a.net still has the final blows to that, that is banning them.

it would also address and solve the problems of people who don’t want to invest time in leveling and acquiring gold to buy maxed stuffs to wvwvw. if you have a real life and you just want to wvwvw and your pockets are deep, you will mostlikely buy from the bltc without having the feeling that you’ve been ripped off.

in Black Lion Trading Co

kitanas.3596

If they changed the price, it would just change back. It IS at market price.

no, if they change the price to a reasonable get off point and let the market roll again from there (we need this since it is not self adjusting), more people will be enticed to buy gems from bltc coz the gem->gold ratio is reasonable. it won’t change back. you need the initial jolt to get the gem to gold market going.

of course more people would buy gold with gems. that is exactly what would drive the prices down. the flip-side of your idea is that no one would be buying gems with gold becomes much more expensive. therefore, no one would do it. that means that there would be a lot more people buying gold with gems then the other way around. that would cause the price to drop. it will keep dropping until people start buying gems with gold again-around the current price point.

EDIT:

correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the exchange ratio get lower the more people do it ?

what about gold seller gold? with gold buyers getting so much gold from botters world wide (lets face it, they wouldnt have had to ban 4k bots if it wasnt profitable in some manner to…well…bot) isnt a big part of that gold being used to buy gems and further altering the price? how does that work out?

maybe im not understanding what factors the exchange fluctuates upon

I don’t have the exact formula, but I believe that it based on he rate of gold→gems in proportion to gems→gold. an example would be [gold→gems/gems→gold * current price] so if more people are buying gems→gold then the other way round, then the price drops and vice versa.

(edited by kitanas.3596)

in Black Lion Trading Co

alcopaul.2156

if i can get 100g+5% extra with 4000 gems, then i will buy gems from a.net. and if this is the rate, probably 4000 gems will cost a player 200g. so very less people will buy gems with gold.

in other words, my real money was valued right and gems are now valuable commodities since it will require a player humungous amount of gold to get 4000 gems.

this arrangement took care of inflation and has the correct valuation of gold, gems and my cash.

in Black Lion Trading Co

kitanas.3596

if i can get 100g+5% extra with 4000 gems, then i will buy gems from a.net. and if this is the rate, probably 4000 gems will cost a player 200g. so very less people will buy gems with gold.

in other words, my real money was valued right and gems are now valuable commodities since it will require a player humungous amount of gold to get 4000 gems.

this arrangement took care of inflation and has the correct valuation of gold, gems and my cash.

and then no one would buy gems with gold. and then, to prevent massive amounts of gold being pumped into the economy, the price must fall. think beyond yourself for once?

in Black Lion Trading Co

alcopaul.2156

and then no one would buy gems with gold. and then, to prevent massive amounts of gold being pumped into the economy, the price must fall. think beyond yourself for once?

the direct beneficiary is a.net anyway and they could implement gold sinks in game to reduce the amount of gold in the economy. or the richest players could close their eyes and spend 200g on 4000 gems if there are cool/rare/novelty items in bltc. this is easy to solve.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

the direct beneficiary is a.net anyway and they could implement gold sinks in game to reduce the amount of gold in the economy. or the richest players could close their eyes and spend 200g on 4000 gems if there are cool/rare/novelty items in bltc. this is easy to solve.

This solves nothing. You are basically saying that there should be more gold sinks in the game so that you can get an arbitrary amount of gold for x dollars. So players who don’t buy gold get hit with these gold sinks so that players who do buy gold get to pump money into the economy at will.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: John Smith.4610

John Smith.4610

in Black Lion Trading Co

kitanas.3596

This solves nothing. You are basically saying that there should be more gold sinks in the game so that you can get an arbitrary amount of gold for x dollars. So players who don’t buy gold get hit with these gold sinks so that players who do buy gold get to pump money into the economy at will.

it’s worse then nothing, because then the economy woud be structured around buying gold at that level.

would you like to pay 4000 gems worth of money every week just to be able to effectively play the game?

in Black Lion Trading Co

alcopaul.2156

it’s worse then nothing, because then the economy woud be structured around buying gold at that level.

would you like to pay 4000 gems worth of money every week just to be able to effectively play the game?

assuming that everybody will be required to buy gold from bltc.

in Black Lion Trading Co

alcopaul.2156

of course, the real money investor should get “advantage” over those who just invest their time to get the same stuffs. technically all items can be acquired by anyone. the advantage is that those who invest money gets them faster. and say if guild wars 2 has no real money trading, those who still invest money from gold sellers will get the items faster than normal players anyway. same kitten.

i would rather the situation be giving advantage to my real money patrons than giving advantage to exploiters/illicit gold buyers.

in Black Lion Trading Co

kitanas.3596

If you structured the sinks around a large influx of gold from the BLTC, then you would effectively force people to continue to buy from the BLTC. So I ask again, do you want to be forced to pay 400 gems a week to effectively play the game?

in Black Lion Trading Co

alcopaul.2156

If you structured the sinks around a large influx of gold from the BLTC, then you would effectively force people to continue to buy from the BLTC. So I ask again, do you want to be forced to pay 400 gems a week to effectively play the game?

this is like forcing everyone to get a legendary to effectively play the game.

no one will be putting their money every week in the bltc coz we got stuffs like food, clothes to buy and rent to pay in real life.

tell that to the son of a sultan or multibillionaire that plays gw2. im just a middle class and i got bills to pay.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Astraea.6075

of course, the real money investor should get “advantage” over those who just invest their time to get the same stuffs. technically all items can be acquired by anyone. the advantage is that those who invest money gets them faster. and say if guild wars 2 has no real money trading, those who still invest money from gold sellers will get the items faster than normal players anyway. same kitten.

i would rather the situation be giving advantage to my real money patrons than giving advantage to exploiters/illicit gold buyers.

Except what you are proposing is to decouple the gem → gold rate from the player demand for gold → gems in order to have a steady and arbitrary rate of exchange. If this arbitrary rate is set too high, then the amount of gold leaving the economy via gold → gems will be less than the amount of gold entering the economy via gems → gold, leading to inflation as ArenaNet would be effectively “printing money” to meet the imbalance in demand and supply.

While people buying from gold sellers is undesirable on many levels, the gold they sell is already present in the economy. An argument could be made that bots associated with gold sellers are already “printing money” in order to meet supply, but that’s part of a larger discussion about the wider effect they have on the game’s economy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

kitanas.3596

this is like forcing everyone to get a legendary to effectively play the game.

no one will be putting their money every week in the bltc coz we got stuffs like food, clothes to buy and rent to pay in real life.

tell that to the son of a sultan or multibillionaire that plays gw2. im just a middle class and i got bills to pay.

So that would be a no then? do you see the folly in trying to adjust it to suit what you personally want without concern for what the costs are, to you as well as everyone else?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I’m not gonna make a super long post, so I’ll use shortened points.

1) Some people don’t realize that RMT not only farm, but they STEAL gold from other players (i.e. Hack accounts, use stolen credit card info, etc.). So arguing that they are the best indicator of Gold value is squashed right there.

2) People need to stop thinking about only their own needs, and consider the economy as a whole. So any argument about “the rates suck” is code for “I’m too lazy to farm, and too impatient to play the game to get good stuff, so sell me Gold for cheap so I can get good stuff faster.”

3)

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Dogblaster.6713

Dogblaster.6713

I dont mind RMT now .. i support them
Anet is the one i dont support anymore. ever

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Colonel Kernel.7506

Colonel Kernel.7506

/sigh

/thread

No, we don’t.

ANet’s secret algorithm sets the Gem prices. Read the thread for other irregularities.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Colonel Kernel.7506

And that is one of the irregularities I mentioned.

There is a stockpile of Gems and Gold, so supply and demand is definitely NOT set by the players.

in Black Lion Trading Co

kitanas.3596

/sigh

/thread

No, we don’t.

ANet’s secret algorithm sets the Gem prices. Read the thread for other irregularities.

uh, the conclusion of that thread was that, yes indeed, the players control the rate.

try again

EDIT:

There is a stockpile of Gems and Gold, so supply and demand is definitely NOT set by the players.

how it works doesn’t matter. what matters is who controls the imputs. in this case, it is the players. so the players set the rate.

(edited by kitanas.3596)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Fabsm.5897

Fabsm.5897

I dont mind RMT now .. i support them
Anet is the one i dont support anymore. ever

You then support thieves, hackers, and organizations that only want to profit from online games without regards to their economy in the present or future.

Well thought.

Fabsm
Guardian of Moonlight Shadow [MLS]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

/sigh

/thread

http://www.arena.net/blog/mike-obrien-on-microtransactions-in-guild-wars-2#more-7677

This, I love how people complain first, ask questions later. It’s like Jeb Bush’s Florida all up in hurr.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sirge.8934

Sirge.8934

Wouldn’t work.

We have to look at goldseller’s main income. Its not selling gold to players. Their main income is stolen credit card info.

They’d sell 100g for a buck if gem price drove them to it. If it gets them credit card info, they’ll go for it. And if for some reason they weren’t able to match the gem price, they’d sell high level accounts instead.

in Black Lion Trading Co

ebrown.8193

http://www.arena.net/blog/mike-obrien-on-microtransactions-in-guild-wars-2#more-7677

This, I love how people complain first, ask questions later. It’s like Jeb Bush’s Florida all up in hurr.

Interesting article:

If a player buys gold from another player, he gets the gold he wants, the selling player gets gems she can use for microtransactions, and ArenaNet generates revenue from the sale of gems that we can use to keep supporting and updating the game. Everyone wins.

I wonder why they decided to get rid of that option. Maybe they figured they’d make less revenue from gems?

in Black Lion Trading Co

kitanas.3596

Interesting article:

If a player buys gold from another player, he gets the gold he wants, the selling player gets gems she can use for microtransactions, and ArenaNet generates revenue from the sale of gems that we can use to keep supporting and updating the game. Everyone wins.

I wonder why they decided to get rid of that option. Maybe they figured they’d make less revenue from gems?

that’s what we do already, I think.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

Interesting article:

That IS the current system.

I buy 100 gems from ArenaNet. I need gold for whatever irrelevant reason. I place my 100 gems up for sale, and in return obtain gold when another player buys them.

Not quite sure where the disconnect is at here.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

in Black Lion Trading Co

Colonel Kernel.7506

/sigh

/thread

No, we don’t.

uh, the conclusion of that thread was that, yes indeed, the players control the rate.

try again

EDIT:

how it works doesn’t matter. what matters is who controls the imputs. in this case, it is the players. so the players set the rate.

/facepalm

Q. Where and how do players set the inputs? How do players set the rates?

A. They don’t. That’s per John Smith and anyone can look at the interface for selling or buying Gems and see that it’s true.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Astraea.6075

A. They don’t. That’s per John Smith and anyone can look at the interface for selling or buying Gems and see that it’s true.

The rates are set by the aggregrate actions of players buying and selling gems. Those are the inputs controlled by the players.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Colonel Kernel.7506

The rates are set by the aggregrate actions of players buying and selling gems. Those are the inputs controlled by the players.

If, as John Smith implied, there is a pool of Gold and a pool of Gems provided by ANet to supply instant purchases to the players there are de facto no supply and demand issues for the market to balance on.

On top of that, add the unknown factors of the mystery algorithm that calculates the actual price and you have a complete mystery.