trading post manipulation

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hyper.6374

Hyper.6374

So I just want to say first up that I get a great deal of enjoyment playing on the trading post in this game and can spend hours doing it when I have no other goals for the day. I have watched while markets that are required for new content or in demand items get smashed over and over again and have continually wondered if its players with no idea doing it or if it is manipulation on the side of anet, always deciding it must just be players until now. I am now going to give away a market a lot of you probably already know but here goes. On the recent patch where you can craft ascended weapons platinum ore and what they make (darksteel ingots) price started spiking I dabbled in buying platinum and found it was an ok way to make a little silver in the game I was undercut a little but the price stayed stable about 4 silver 30 copper per ingot this was about 5 days ago. all the ingots on the market were selling like crazy and the price soon hit 5 silver 80 copper and showed no sign of slowing demand is still high. The price for platinum was also spiking which is good for those who enjoy gathering it makes you reasonable silver as well. This price stayed steady for probably 1/2 a day then out of no-where someone who must be insane or tinfoil hat (anet) started placing ingots on the TP at 4 silver 50 copper it cost as much to make the things as they were selling it for. For hours I watched this wall built in the market over 1 silver below the lowest other point about 1000 ingots at a time as soon as the wall was breached and reached “normal” again another wall same amount of ingots same price was placed. my instinct is no-one could be that silly the amount of silver you make is simply not worth anyones time to craft. this has happened in so many "big " markets that are required items over the last month or so that it cannot be co-incidence and I can understand undercutting prices but this is crazy and without profit/reason to do so.Now there are 1000’s of the ingots between 4.30 and 4.50 (the wall so mission accomplished whoever has done this but its disappointing as it now costs more to make an ingot than to buy one so who would do that ? ask yourself….
My theory anet creates a wall in the market to encourage players to undercut and lower prices (no-one did because it was simply losing money to do so) this continued for 2 days same price massive amounts. But the effect creates listings above the the wall to gradually undercut each other and close the gap (ie price went from 5.80-5.20 in 2days behind the wall) making it eventually continuous listings if its not anet filling in the gap. Now if this is the case I understand the logic in doing so as it keeps costs down but this is supposed to be a player driven game where if supply outweighs demand its cheaper and the opposite when its in low supply forcing prices up.
As it costs money to list items on the TP if this is happening it is costing everyone listing at “the current price” a lot of silver as they either have to cancel and relist or wait a hell of a long time to sell and imo this is in no way fair.
I would like to know if this is how anet is running the tp and I will save both my time and money and also if others have had this experience. The silver is not so much an issue for me I get a kick out of exploring new markets and when they take off its awesome but when I see this happening over and over its disappointing to say the least I feel like I wasted my time.
If you want to lower prices try cayenne pepper it was 20 copper 3 months ago now its over 5 silver where was the brakes there?

TLDR:- is anet manipulating the trading post that’s supposed to be player driven?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

TLDR:- is anet manipulating the trading post that’s supposed to be player driven?

No.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hyper.6374

No.

Awesome and your source?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Need more white space.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

It’s about time the conspiracy theorists came in and posted more silly theories. I think John misses his dose of humor they provide him.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hyper.6374

It’s about time the conspiracy theorists came in and posted more silly theories. I think John misses his dose of humor they provide him.

Am actually hoping John replies tbh as there was talk of anet employing economists to control the economy and that’s the reason for the post thanks for noticing. The sooner the bring in “who” posted the item the sooner conspiracies will be removed

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Max.4786

Max.4786

There is something I cannot explain ==> Some higher order is manipulating the world

sounds logical.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

The dog ate my homework

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

No.

Awesome and your source?

No source needed. You are making the large claim, you have to pony up the proof:
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Extraordinary_claims_require_extraordinary_evidence

Occam’s razer demands that, without proof either way, the TP is not controlled by A.net, since player driven markets function best.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

There is something I cannot explain ==> Some higher order is manipulating the world

sounds logical.

I’m sure there is a name for this kind of stuff too… Beginning with R… Can’t put my finger on in…

One – Piken Square

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Oh yeah, it’s that thing to do with believing in imaginary friends. I thought it began with I and ended with nsanity.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

No.

Awesome and your source?

No source needed. You are making the large claim, you have to pony up the proof:
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Extraordinary_claims_require_extraordinary_evidence

Occam’s razer demands that, without proof either way, the TP is not controlled by A.net, since player driven markets function best.

And let’s remember one thing about conspiracy theorists: any proof you would provide that is contrary to their theory is invalid out of hand because, obviously, it is part of the conspiracy.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rigel.3092

Rigel.3092

No.

Awesome and your source?

And your source that they (ANeT) are indeed doing manipulations?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

So I just want to say first up that I get a great deal of enjoyment playing on the trading post in this game and can spend hours doing it when I have no other goals for the day. I have watched while markets that are required for new content or in demand items get smashed over and over again and have continually wondered if its players with no idea doing it or if it is manipulation on the side of anet, always deciding it must just be players until now. I am now going to give away a market a lot of you probably already know but here goes. On the recent patch where you can craft ascended weapons platinum ore and what they make (darksteel ingots) price started spiking I dabbled in buying platinum and found it was an ok way to make a little silver in the game I was undercut a little but the price stayed stable about 4 silver 30 copper per ingot this was about 5 days ago. all the ingots on the market were selling like crazy and the price soon hit 5 silver 80 copper and showed no sign of slowing demand is still high. The price for platinum was also spiking which is good for those who enjoy gathering it makes you reasonable silver as well. This price stayed steady for probably 1/2 a day then out of no-where someone who must be insane or tinfoil hat (anet) started placing ingots on the TP at 4 silver 50 copper it cost as much to make the things as they were selling it for. For hours I watched this wall built in the market over 1 silver below the lowest other point about 1000 ingots at a time as soon as the wall was breached and reached “normal” again another wall same amount of ingots same price was placed. my instinct is no-one could be that silly the amount of silver you make is simply not worth anyones time to craft. this has happened in so many "big " markets that are required items over the last month or so that it cannot be co-incidence and I can understand undercutting prices but this is crazy and without profit/reason to do so.Now there are 1000’s of the ingots between 4.30 and 4.50 (the wall so mission accomplished whoever has done this but its disappointing as it now costs more to make an ingot than to buy one so who would do that ? ask yourself….
My theory anet creates a wall in the market to encourage players to undercut and lower prices (no-one did because it was simply losing money to do so) this continued for 2 days same price massive amounts. But the effect creates listings above the the wall to gradually undercut each other and close the gap (ie price went from 5.80-5.20 in 2days behind the wall) making it eventually continuous listings if its not anet filling in the gap. Now if this is the case I understand the logic in doing so as it keeps costs down but this is supposed to be a player driven game where if supply outweighs demand its cheaper and the opposite when its in low supply forcing prices up.
As it costs money to list items on the TP if this is happening it is costing everyone listing at “the current price” a lot of silver as they either have to cancel and relist or wait a hell of a long time to sell and imo this is in no way fair.
I would like to know if this is how anet is running the tp and I will save both my time and money and also if others have had this experience. The silver is not so much an issue for me I get a kick out of exploring new markets and when they take off its awesome but when I see this happening over and over its disappointing to say the least I feel like I wasted my time.
If you want to lower prices try cayenne pepper it was 20 copper 3 months ago now its over 5 silver where was the brakes there?

Don’t forget that there are people out there who want/need “fast money”. They have a stockpile of platinum, and they see a large quantity are selling for 5.80 silver, but they are afraid if they post their platinum for 5.79 silver, they will not only be undercut, but they will also have to wait a long while before all their platinum sells. Most people want things immediately, so instead of doing something logically, he posted his platinum ingots for an entire silver cheaper to sell them off faster.

Reminds me of real life gas stations. All the gas stations in town price their gas 0.01 cent cheaper than the gas station next to it so more people will go to the one that is 0.01 cheaper. Then there’s always that one gas station outside of town that is selling their gas for 0.10 cents cheaper and has a line of cars wrapped around it trying to get their tanks filled up.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Celestial.4381

Celestial.4381

Also, there were certainly a ton of people who were leveling Weaponsmith/Huntsman/Artificer right around the time of the last patch, and probably a lot of them had Darksteel ingots left over from leveling that they had no use for and started dumping on the TP. They could have been a little smarter when pricing their ingots, but just hitting “Match Lowest Seller” is easier.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Why would Anet pay a wage to someone to manipulate the market?

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

Didn’t read the entire wall of text, when ppl post like that, i usually just read short comments as most of the will condense the wall.

As far as plat goes. I dumped my share on the market early yesterday as well as some other items gain in sparkfly. I felt, ok, there are gonna be thousands of people milling around sparkfly before and after teq. Usually when ppl do that they pick up whatever is nearby. Considered it may only be 3-9 ores per person, multiply by thousands, it would seem logical, prices of those would go down. just my 2 cents.

(edited by danielrjones.8759)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

No.

Awesome and your source?

And your source that they (ANeT) are indeed doing manipulations?

Conspiracy theorists are exempt from the requirement to provide proof. Didn’t you know?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: John Smith.4610

John Smith.4610

No.

Awesome and your source?

No.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Just look at the food market — even with valued foods. People can just be stupid.

NSPride <3

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

No.

Awesome and your source?

No.

There needs to be a John Smith pvp finisher on the gem store where a big red “No.” drops on the corpse.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hell Avenger.7021

Hell Avenger.7021

oh I’ve seen the so call purchase walls. For example someone put in 5000 orch ore order at higher price, then another 5000 orch ore buy order at 1 copper price lower. This create a buy order wall, and people who wants to buy orch ore right away then have to buy higher. Due to such strong demand goods, there immediately are orders filling up on top of the “wall” at higher price.

Whether the dude who made the wall can sell enough of their ore at the high price vs how much orch ore they bought as the wall breakdown is a different story.

now that is market manipulation.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: amiable.4823

amiable.4823

No.

Awesome and your source?

No.

This can only mean one thing: they’ve gotten to John too. We are through the looking glass people.

Aliquot Love – Engineer
Gable Thorn – Elementalist
Shining in Darkness – Warrior – Mag

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hell Avenger.7021

lol honestly, I am starting to become bored of TP trading. Back to stock, more fun and real monetary gain.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

No.

Awesome and your source?

No.

There needs to be a John Smith pvp finisher on the gem store where a big red “No.” drops on the corpse.

If they make that finisher available, i promise, i will stop manipulating the market.

(edited by Wanze.8410)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

No.

Awesome and your source?

No.

This almost made me spill coffee on my keyboard. John Smith finisher – 5,000 Gems.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

No.

Awesome and your source?

No.

You don’t need to manipulate demand when you can manipulate supply.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

No.

Awesome and your source?

No.

^ My source.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

No.

Awesome and your source?

No.

Attachments:

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: JanNier Kryn Yaren.7968

JanNier Kryn Yaren.7968

Players are, the only thing that can be considerd their fault is removing Set1 mini pets from the gem store, and due to that the mini pets increased their price increased since yesterday, there a title and achivements related to this and now eevryone’s trying to bum rush buy gems to try and get the, or buying the minis themselves in the trading post overpriced.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

They could have been a little smarter when pricing their ingots, but just hitting “Match Lowest Seller” is easier.

Which reminds me – it would be awesome if the would get rid of all those “illegal” bids for items where the bid is below vendor + 1 copper.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vampirial.9056

Vampirial.9056

I can’t believe that no one has brought this point up yet. I know some people both in and outside of this game who would do the things described by the OP just cause they enjoy it. They find satisfaction in destroying the market value of an item. One of my friends spent well over 300 gold just to see if he could crash the market on an item with a value that was rapidly growing at the time.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

No.

Awesome and your source?

No.

So you want a vague finisher that your foe doesn’t know if they have been finished or not? Genius!

Serenity now~Insanity later

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

No.

Awesome and your source?

No.

I’d pay 300 gems for that.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mika.9815

Mika.9815

I’ve seen the so call purchase walls. For example someone put in 5000 orch ore order at higher price, then another 5000 orch ore buy order at 1 copper price lower. This create a buy order wall … now that is market manipulation.

There’s nothing special about buy ordering 5000 ore. You do know that creating for example one Dusk/Dawn requires on average 42,000 ore? There’s a multitude of players who are Mystic Forging their way to precursors, and competing against each other with material buy orders to create them cheaper.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

No.

Awesome and your source?

No.

So you want a vague finisher that your foe doesn’t know if they have been finished or not? Genius!

Oh you know you’ve been finished when ‘The Smith’ comes down. Denial is not a defense.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: qotsa.1896

qotsa.1896

I for one liked the post and had this very same thing happen to me with just flipping one item. I placed low buy orders, got the items at that low number & re-posted it at the current market price. after a while the same thing happened a wall appeared making it not profitable to flip the items anymore. I left my buy orders up at that low price & when I signed on again the buy orders had been taken down.. Is this an exploit? and was that Anets way of saying NO NO. My feeling is if some idiot wants to sell me something bellow market value then let them…..

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

I for one liked the post and had this very same thing happen to me with just flipping one item. I placed low buy orders, got the items at that low number & re-posted it at the current market price. after a while the same thing happened a wall appeared making it not profitable to flip the items anymore. I left my buy orders up at that low price & when I signed on again the buy orders had been taken down.. Is this an exploit? and was that Anets way of saying NO NO. My feeling is if some idiot wants to sell me something bellow market value then let them…..

The current market value changes all the time and you are not entitled to make a profit with flipping. Many resources are obtained in many different ways.

Crafting materials for example come from direct drops, salvaging, harvesting, loot bags, etc.

I heard people going out to harvest platinum nodes again when the price for darksteel ingots went up. I just bought white lvl 65 weapons for half the price of platinum ore and salvaged them. It took me an hour to have more than 1000 buy orders filled and salvage it. I am sorry for those people that value their platinum more than me because they have to run around maps for hours, if not days to get those 5 stacks that i got in an hour. But it doesnt stop me from dumping my platinum into the market again for 20% less than what they think is the current market value.

I also was flipping an item regularly, buying for 60s and selling for 1G. Then i realized that i can craft that item for kitten because the resource prices went down. I started listing at 80s and selling instantly because people thought the current market value was 1G. I might make less profit per item compared to listing at 1G but i would sell 2-3 times more items per hour thus increasing my profit per hour.

(edited by Wanze.8410)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

The dog ate my homework

Yes, but WHO tells the dog what to do? eh?

nudge, nudge, wink, wink

SAY NO MORE!

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hell Avenger.7021

I’ve seen the so call purchase walls. For example someone put in 5000 orch ore order at higher price, then another 5000 orch ore buy order at 1 copper price lower. This create a buy order wall … now that is market manipulation.

There’s nothing special about buy ordering 5000 ore. You do know that creating for example one Dusk/Dawn requires on average 42,000 ore? There’s a multitude of players who are Mystic Forging their way to precursors, and competing against each other with material buy orders to create them cheaper.

42,000 orch ore at 5 silver each is 210,000 silver (2,100 gold). Dawn price = 600g to 800g. I think you are wrong. BTW I have a sunrise.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

42,000 orch ore at 5 silver each is 210,000 silver (2,100 gold). Dawn price = 600g to 800g. I think you are wrong. BTW I have a sunrise.

He meant ore in general, not orichalcum ore specifically.

I use over 30k mithril ore per week for crafting and i am only one person. Ascended crafting is another ore sink right now.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

No.

Awesome and your source?

No.

Oh you know you’ve been finished when ‘The Smith’ comes down. Denial is not a defense.

New PvP only clothes:

Tin Foil Hat – Gives immunity to logic and reason for 15 seconds. Negates “The Smith” finisher.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

you use mithril to forge rares, not ori. 42,000 ore at 30c ea = 12,600s (126g)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

No.

Awesome and your source?

No.

I am sick as a dog but your comment made me laugh and feel better!!

Thanks!

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

No.

Awesome and your source?

What can be stated without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Essence Snow.3194

No.

Awesome and your source?

What can be stated without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Yep….. 15 chars

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

No.

Awesome and your source?

No.

Your sauce?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Essence Snow.3194

No.

Awesome and your source?

No.

Your sauce?

My guess…red sauce, ofc that’s all we’ll get. What type of red sauce? Well that’ll remain a mystery, yet some will clamor that simply red sauce is a definitive answer.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

No.

Awesome and your source?

No.

Your sauce?

Gravy all the way.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tweeve.3782

tweeve.3782

Getting no net profit on the trade post is a common problem.

More than half the time when I craft something if I were to put it on the Trade Post the item there would be for less money than what the resources cost. Also the going price is less than if I were to vendor the item. Yes I know there is a check for vendor prices but that check it before the TP takes its cut not after. So you can still end up loosing money. Where if you vendor’d the item you actually make a bit of money.