CDI- Process Evolution

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Chiara.9827

Chiara.9827

You should go with the 2nd topic on the list, voting again now would be pointless IMHO, nothing has changed, it would just be a waste of time.

A new vote tho could be useful sometimes in the future and I’d love to see a polling system in order to make it easier (Just don’t forget the “other (plese elaborate)” option

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

You should go with the 2nd topic on the list, voting again now would be pointless IMHO, nothing has changed, it would just be a waste of time.

This.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

For new features/items being thought about an initial short list can/should be chosen by ANET as these are hopefully viable ideas that can be fixed.
Players can initially decide the priority of the short list (by priority voting against the list).

Prior to new changes:
I would love to see allowing a player to vote once with priority wrapped against the short list (1= Important to 5=Unimportant).
It is impossible to do everything at once well. It is better to concentrate on a few things and get it right first time than make a complete hash of many things.

The progress of the voting needs to be transparent (updated within a timeframe) ideally see real time or near real time results within the time period. One person = one vote. A person can change there mind (priorities) but when the close period occurs the players decision is locked.

After major changes
People will change their minds about “decisions already made” and a survey of player QA feedback would be fantastic to see if these decisions are working in the long term against parts of the player base. (Teq is one thought which comes to mind – how many people are “still happy” with it – I don’t think anyone really knows. It’s easy when your isolated in a good server or in particular timezones e.g. NA person on a NA server reset. It also needs to be linked against people of various profiles – eg hardcore/semi casual/casual as each of these people have different concerns depending which server they are on).
The beta period was great to give feedback in game.

Players can be encouraged to complete in-game surveys via in-game mail to a NPC that gives a minor carrot for a persons time (dangled carrots work wonders) Or it links to forum to allow voting on a particular topic.
This would also ensure that non-English speakers can have input into the feedback process of how things went (the forums are English only ! – Automatic exclusion of many players). Sometimes it is necessary to repeat asking about the same thing a couple of times over a long period of time to find out how effective a change really has been.
A simple voting system could ideally be multi-language.

Example: Survey: Infinite gathering tools
1) do you think these tools should be account bound ?
(1- strongly agree, 5- strongly disagree)
2) do you think it’s important to change the existing tools in your inventory from soul bound to account bounded so they can be swapped and used on multiple characters?
3) Should there be an in-game NPC to refund gems in exchange for returning excess gathering tools if these change to account bound?
4) would you be affected by this change?

If something is shown not to be working well – via a survey in the long term it should be re-examined and possibly reworked (and revoted).
I did not see much information published about the change in tools, and even less about the possibility about a refund of excess tools (I know more now than I did when it was released – and it was not widely published about a possible refund of now excessive tools).

A quick survey on the topic helps promote knowledge and thinking on what changes may happen and how players could react before it is implemented.

A post-change survey might be something like:
1) did you feel ANET handled the change of your tools to account bound smoothly?
(1- agree, 5- disagree or NA)
2) Do you think you had enough information about the change and could understand it ?
3) was the refund process for excessive tools easy?
4) are you a casual player playing < N hours a week ? (Next survey could ask if you are a hardcore player > 40 hrs/week for example)
Etc…
I only found about the refund process via the forums, where it was not published in the patch notes. It could have been better

The votes or results need to be summarised up (rather than individual posts in a forum setting) and published In a graphical way. It might be that a player can pick one of N surveys to give feedback on (they can repeat the same survey at a later date).

It’s all about analytics and numbers to ensure that things happen in the right way and learning from prior mistakes to ensure that PR (and trust) with the community improves over time.

I’m pretty certain feedback from the community of players is important from all the different types of player.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: daros.3407

daros.3407

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback i will make sure to do a summary and list actions on Monday.

I don’t want to derail the thread but i would also like to know how everyone would like the next topics to be chosen. Simply would you like to vote again or would you like us to pick the second topics on the respective lists?

Finally i have said this many times so for those that have seen it repeatedly please forgive me for the repetition, but once again i want to make it clear that the only ‘feedback’ i have asked the team not to spend their time on are those comments which are not productive. Specifically comments with no actionable substance. Whilst it is nice to see positive commentary we spend a lot more time discussing and negative criticism so we can learn more and improve the game.

Again for the feedback on how to improve the CDI,

Chris

And what would be the next if we would just pick it without another voting?
I think we already voted and there is no need to vote again. Anyway i dont belive the result would change much. We already saw what topics are most wanted to disscus and new election could change only order.
Another election would just delay disscusion.

(edited by daros.3407)

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Nadesh.7953

Nadesh.7953

Mi suggestion is to have a specific section of the forum for each CDI (PvE, PvP and WvW), and maybe even have something like the “Dev Tracker” but for the CDI dev’s comments.

If there is a specific section for the CDIs, when the devs think a specific idea is good and worth to work over it, he/she could create a separated thread for that specific idea to get specific comments and polish it.

Sorry for the broken english

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Chiuna.2538

Chiuna.2538

I’ve only looked at the English language forum, but the next PvE topic based on that would be Class Balance. By my quick count, the top 5 most requested topics were:

Living Story/Temporary nature of content – 131
Class Balance – 95
New Armor sets/Weapon Skins – 81
Ascended gear – 80
Rewards vs. Time/Effort/Skill – 80

Depending on how broad the discussion topics chosen are going to be, this may not be an accurate list. For example, I counted requests for guild halls separately from those for additional guild functionality, but if those two were combined into a general “guilds” category they would come ahead of Class Balance.

I made simple pie charts of what people voted for here: http://imgur.com/a/8zHpX Note that the overview chart is a bit subjective based on my decisions of how to group items into 10 categories, for details on what people voted for exactly see the charts of the categories.

In light of the difficulty with knowing what things should be grouped together, I would suggest that if another round of voting is held, that a list of topics to pick from is provided. Without a list of topics, players interested in the same thing might accidentally compete with each other, for example by some saying they want to talk about Expansions and others saying they want to talk about New Zones. Of course these topics are not identical, but I think that in many cases groups of topics are similar enough that players interested in discussing one would be interested in discussing the others.

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

daros.3407

I did my own search in previos voting and Class balance is another most wanted. But i found a little problematic thing. Lot of people wanted to talk about ascended gear, grind and alt unfriendliness and lot of people actualy merged them together like ,,Acended gear and grind" or Gear grind and alt unfriendliness". And it has logic becouse huge part of grind and alt unfriendliness is represented by Ascended items and vice versa.
Becouse of this i would suggest to merge those in to one topic becouse if we will disscus them separatly we will probably discuss same things all over again. In thread for ascended items people will be talking about how much gring it brought in to game. In thread for grind and farming people will put many posts how they have to grind and farm much more then before becouse of Ascended items and in thread about alt unfriendliness people will again mention many times how ascended items make game much more alt unfriendly.
I really see reason why to disscus those 3 things together. And those 3 together gives more votes then class balance.

(edited by daros.3407)

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I did my own search too and Class balance is another most wanted. But i found a little problematic thing. Lot of people wanted to talk about ascended gear, grind and alt unfriendliness and lot of people actualy merged them together like ,,Acended gear and grind" or Gear grind and alt unfriendliness". And it has logic becouse huge part of grind and alt unfriendliness is represented by Ascended items and vice versa.
Becouse of this i would suggest to merge those in to one topic becouse if we will disscus them separatly we will probably discuss same things all over again. In thread for ascended items people will be talking about how much gring it brought in to game. In thread for grind and farming people will put many posts how they have to grind and farm much more then before becouse of Ascended items and in thread about alt unfriendliness people will again mention many times how ascended items make game much more alt unfriendly.
I really see reason why to disscus those 3 things together. And those 3 together gives more votes then class balance.

I think class balance is an important topic too. But it will evolve into a PvP centered “XYZ class is OP”.

I hope that when we do a class balance CDI, it is more intellectual than that.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Reesha.7901

Reesha.7901

I have to agree with this. I could understand the need for a new vote, if people had only been able to choose one topic, when the first vote was made.
If that had been the case, then everyone that chose living story would have no influence on the next topic chosen.

However, we had the option to make a list. In order to find the next topic, I would guess anyone that had living story as their first priority just have their second priority count instead?

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: The Lost Witch.7601

The Lost Witch.7601

I think class balance is an important topic too. But it will evolve into a PvP centered “XYZ class is OP”.

Well, they could open the balance topic in different ways:

• 3 Different threads on balance. PvP/WvW/PvE seperated.
  • Leading by asking very specific questions in the profession forums: ‘Why don’t you play a mantra build?’
  • A meta-request in the dungeon forums. Led by questions like: ‘Why are certain classes perceived to be be so much better than others in instances? And how can we bring the other classes up to par?’
  • An introduction to the condition issue from the Anet side in the PvE section: ‘We have come up with plans a,b and c. But these don’t work because of y and z. Let’s brainstorm on solutions.’

I think there are options for an intellectual approach. Although a large portion of the success of that is up to us. (Though I have to say, I really like the way most of the community handled the CDI and the december update discussions so far!)

That said, maybe it’s better to await the december update before we get into balance?

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

daros.3407

I did my own search too and Class balance is another most wanted. But i found a little problematic thing. Lot of people wanted to talk about ascended gear, grind and alt unfriendliness and lot of people actualy merged them together like ,,Acended gear and grind" or Gear grind and alt unfriendliness". And it has logic becouse huge part of grind and alt unfriendliness is represented by Ascended items and vice versa.

Of cource class balance is very important topic. I just wanted to point out the problem we may have if we won’t discuss ascended gear, alt unfriendliness and gring together. Lot of people already merged them in election. And the fact that together they have more votes then balance.
But class balance has its importance that is truth.

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I don’t want to derail the thread but i would also like to know how everyone would like the next topics to be chosen. Simply would you like to vote again or would you like us to pick the second topics on the respective lists?

Chris

I don’t think it derails the thread at all. It is on topic and helps CDI move forward.

IMO I would like ANet to pick the topic. All of you see the forums and get the emails from players. I am sure you know which topics are the largest hot spots for the GW2 community and should pick from those.

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback i will make sure to do a summary and list actions on Monday.

I believe it would be best for us to discuss topics that ANet picks based off the list fans created earlier. This way we fans can get some feeling as to what’s important on your side of the screen without forcing Anet to tell us things they can’t divulge due to non-disclosures or whatever factors.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I think it would be great if you guys (Anet) can tell is what is not open for discussion, or off the table as it were.

Then just pick the next topic from the previous selection

This way we will know to stop banging our heads against the wall (Ascended being an example here) and move on to what can actually be adressed

Gunnar’s Hold

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

The Lost Witch.7601

I think it would be great if you guys (Anet) can tell is what is not open for discussion, or off the table as it were.

This way we will know to stop banging our heads against the wall (Ascended being an example here) and move on to what can actually be adressed

The danger with this could be that the community gets the feeling that they are not being heard because a topic is never being discussed with the devs. (Ascended being an example here)

I think CDI isn’t just about helping the devs with future projects, but also about figuring out what really needs work. If many of those things are off the table for the nearby future that is ok. But the CDI might show that these things should be put on the table in the future. And they can adapt their long term plans to include what the community considers pressing matters.

Not talking about issues because they are hard to solve will never lead to solving the issues. Nor will it lead to acceptance through understanding.

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

The danger with this could be that the community gets the feeling that they are not being heard because a topic is never being discussed with the devs. (Ascended being an example here)

I think CDI isn’t just about helping the devs with future projects, but also about figuring out what really needs work. If many of those things are off the table for the nearby future that is ok. But the CDI might show that these things should be put on the table in the future. And they can adapt their long term plans to include what the community considers pressing matters.

Not talking about issues because they are hard to solve will never lead to solving the issues. Nor will it lead to acceptance through understanding.

I see what you are saying but I meant that if we do not know what they have no intention of changing or talking about- we will continue to feel we are not being heard.

So clearly stating that topic abc is not something we are open to discussing at this point/ have no intention of changing -can leave us, both the players and the dev’s with the things that we can discuss.

wow that sounds weird when you type it- I hope it makes sense

Gunnar’s Hold

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

I would humbly suggest that the top 3 topics from the original vote thread are discussed, or in the case as of now, the 2nd and 3rd topics are to be discussed. Upon completion of those threads is when another vote for topics should happen.

This way we spend more time discussing and less time voting.

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Illi.3647

Illi.3647

I´d say that since we voted already, it seems counterproductive to have second vote as most people would vote for the same thing…

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I’m going to have to agree with this, but for a very specific reason. As Chiara said, “nothing has changed”. You’ve not yet had time to implement anything from the first CDI thread. Polling again now would not only waste time, but it would likely give bad results due to people still wanting to talk about the current state of the LS.

Cover the top two or three topics, then poll again. And please, do pay attention to topics that come in high, but not quite high enough. If they do this in poll after poll, you might want to address them anyway.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

I think voting is the better solution for picking up topics.

I think one of the most discussed topics is Mounts. A topic about that will win the longest forum debate ever

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Margareeta.3461

Margareeta.3461

Finally i have said this many times so for those that have seen it repeatedly please forgive me for the repetition, but once again i want to make it clear that the only ‘feedback’ i have asked the team not to spend their time on are those comments which are not productive. Specifically comments with no actionable substance. Whilst it is nice to see positive commentary we spend a lot more time discussing and negative criticism so we can learn more and improve the game.

Chris

My personal opinion is that you will pick next topic from the list. Players have already discuss and vote about those topics.

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Eveliina.8619

Eveliina.8619

I think one of the most discussed topics is Mounts. A topic about that will win the longest forum debate ever

You really made me laugh with this.

Yes players have been talk a lot of Mounts. But I bet the most longest forum debate ever will be Dueling tho.

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Yes players have been talk a lot of Mounts. But I bet the most longest forum debate ever will be Dueling tho.

Double your pleasure, double your fun: mounted dueling! (aka jousting)

The table is a fable.

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Annikki.6157

Annikki.6157

Double your pleasure, double your fun: mounted dueling! (aka jousting)

Yes!! Finally someone got really good idea

All would go like this:

Asuran in mounted combat riding on Norn’s shoulders, grab his beard and yelling:
“Left, left you fool, the other left! You Skritt brain idiot!!”

Or maybe, Chris, it would be good idea if you just choose one topic what we start to discuss.

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

@Chris -

Just to go a bit back on topic on how to better evolve the CDI:

Why don’t you get the community managers to handle this? I rarely see them contribute or post, and when they do, it’s usually to tell people Not to do so-and-so, or a warning of sorts. They act closer to moderators than community managers.

Considering you guys are busy, ya’ know, keeping the game on it’s feet, it’s only fair that the community managers do something to help streamline the feedback you get from us.

Let them post after every 3 pages the rundown of main questions that need to be answered or the summary.
Let them be some sort of adjudicator to the whole discussion so the subject doesn’t derail instantly.

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: brittitude.1983

brittitude.1983

Chris

I would prefer that Anet decides on the next topic out of the top 5 from the original vote, removing the LS votes. I think this would be beneficial for Anet and the players.
-For Anet, it would hopefully mean more collaboration on something you might like to see modification to rather than trying to find bits and pieces of good ideas about something you a. are already making changes to that haven’t been revealed and/or b. have no real ability to provide feedback on.
-For players, we would know that you were also interested in the topic. It may provide better collaboration due to more people being aware of your interest in the topic.

If this isn’t really feasible, then the second most voted for topic in the previous list, after removing all LS votes. Like others, I would prefer to move on to the next topic sooner rather than later.

Thank you! I have loved reading all the ideas by players and I am really excited to see the next thread.

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: StriderShinryu.6923

StriderShinryu.6923

I see what you are saying but I meant that if we do not know what they have no intention of changing or talking about- we will continue to feel we are not being heard.

So clearly stating that topic abc is not something we are open to discussing at this point/ have no intention of changing -can leave us, both the players and the dev’s with the things that we can discuss.

Makes perfect sense to me, and I agree completely. The issue, unless things change, is that ANet is too focused on keeping their cards close to their chest to do something like this as it would require them to let the players in on what they are planning/not planning to be that open.

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

The Lost Witch.7601

Makes perfect sense to me, and I agree completely. The issue, unless things change, is that ANet is too focused on keeping their cards close to their chest to do something like this as it would require them to let the players in on what they are planning/not planning to be that open.

I guess ideally we’d have something in the middle. A topic that we, as a community, feel strongly about, and that arenanet can work with as well.

The devs will probably have trouble sharing some information that we really want even when the topics are picked by the devs themselves though. We’re just very eager for information, us forum dwellers.

We’ll probably have some very good and some less interesting CDI – topics. I’m allright with that. I just hope we don’t skip out on the more difficult topics without trying.

• So far, I think the CDI for the Living Story was pretty good. We gained some insight in how arenanet thinks about the Living Story, they gained some insight in our experiences. The subjectmatter was broad, yet through focused questions and summaries by the devs, I felt that our input landed. (Answering a question did that better than writing open feedback)
  • The CDI for PvP was allright aswell. This one had more of a view on the far future. Since we weren’t focusing on what was already in the game, but on what could be. This had benefits but also downsides. One benefit was that everyone knew we were planning for the future, so patience was a given. Another one was that our ideas could directly impact future PvP modes. Since there wasn’t anything set in stone.
    A downside was that the topic was vague, there wasn’t much to build on.
  • The CDI for WvW was a bit less satisfying. And I think this was mostly due to the topic. The problem was clear, a solution wasn’t. Where a large portion of the community seems to want a clean solution to the numbers problem, Arenanet couldn’t lay all the cards on the table to explain why they wouldn’t implement the suggestions made by players. Instead they seemed to be looking for a more subtle approach. Finding ways in which to minimize the impact of the numbers problem rather than getting rid of it. I do think that it was good to have this discussion, even if only to show us how complicated this issue is. I do think that it may have went on a bit too long though. Pushing the discussion over to a somewhat related topic with more chance at some satisfaction after a week may have been a good idea.

I really like this CDI-thing. And I think it has been very valuable already. Keep it going! (Next week?! The next topic can’t come early enough for me)

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Chris Whiteside.6102

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

FYI if we go with the next topics from the initial call for topics threads (Global) then they are as follows:

PVE: Ascended Gear
PvP: Rewards and Progression
WvW: Skill Lag

These are all pretty focused topics which means we will be able to enter into the discussions more readily in terms of time. The bigger the topic the more divergent the discussions and this makes it harder for us to give them our full attention.

Chris

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Uttar.2341

Uttar.2341

Hi Chris, that topic for WvW is unusual in that it’s not the responsibility of the WvW team itself, but rather of the server team, and Bill Freist has already been very open about it in this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Official-state-of-skill-lag-and-server-optimizations

While a CDI on skill lag could be very interesting, I’m not sure what you expect the community could really contribute, and what responses/feedback the dev team could give? Thanks!

(edited by Uttar.2341)

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Hi Chris, that topic for WvW is unusual in that it’s not the responsibility of the WvW team itself, but rather of the server team, and Bill Freist has already been very open about it in this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Official-state-of-skill-lag-and-server-optimizations

While a CDI on skill lag could be very interesting, I’m not sure what you expect the community could really contribute, and what responses/feedback the dev team could give? Thanks!

That is a good point. Let’s see if there is anymore commentary about that Topic proposal and then go from there.

Chris

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

Those are still all very much relevant hot button topics that people want to hear about – after all, not much time has passed for things to ‘marinate’ and shift since the original call for votes.

Notwithstanding my personal bias to some of those topics, I do think respecting the original vote’s tallies would give the people who voted in that thread a good dose of confidence in the CDI’s intentions to really hit the hot stuff.

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Those are still all very much relevant hot button topics that people want to hear about – after all, not much time has passed for things to ‘marinate’ and shift since the original call for votes.

Notwithstanding my personal bias to some of those topics, I do think respecting the original vote’s tallies would give the people who voted in that thread a good dose of confidence in the CDI’s intentions to really hit the hot stuff.

This to is a very good point. And i have to say something that i am currently leaning toward.

Still plenty of time for further discussion though.

Chris

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: gidorah.4960

gidorah.4960

The skill lag is also caused by the world population imbalance and it exists only on the superstacked servers. its a shame the wvw cdi went so poorly as fixing world population imbalance would fix skill lag.

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

What do you all think of this proposal:

That we only have one thread per area open at one time, for example, the next PVE one then PvP and then WvW?

I have been thinking about this for a few days and believe the major issue would be the overall velocity of the CDI, and the main Pro being that we will have more time to enter into discussions due to only having to focus on one at a time.

Thoughts?

Chris

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Chidori.9483

Chidori.9483

That we only have one thread per area open at one time, for example, the next PVE one then PvP and then WvW?

I have been thinking about this for a few days and believe the major issue would be the overall velocity of the CDI, and the main Pro being that we will have more time to enter into discussions due to only having to focus on one at a time.

Thoughts?

Chris

To be sure I understand

Week one: PvE thread
Week two: PvP thread
Week three Wvw thread?

My thoughts are that there are different devs on different teams responding to feedback on each of these three areas. Would you be able to respond to WvW feedback? If my understanding is right and different devs would respond to the different areas, I think that we should have three threads open for each area at a time.

Unless the lead time would allow you to set aside more time when your week comes around? Then I’d be all for it.

LOYALTY | HONOR | DEDICATION | RESPECT | FAMILY | LIQUOR
_____________________ VANQUISH _____________________

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

gidorah.4960

why waste time on the wvw cdi again if you aren’t going to make an effort to make it actually work?

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Thoughts?

Chris

To be sure I understand

Week one: PvE thread
Week two: PvP thread
Week three Wvw thread?

My thoughts are that there are different devs on different teams responding to feedback on each of these three areas. Would you be able to respond to WvW feedback? If my understanding is right and different devs would respond to the different areas, I think that we should have three threads open for each area at a time.

Unless the lead time would allow you to set aside more time when your week comes around? Then I’d be all for it.

Yep it means i would be able to contribute both the WvW and PvP threads.

Chris

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

why waste time on the wvw cdi again if you aren’t going to make an effort to make it actually work?

I think the point is we want to improve the WvW CDI moving forward.

Chris

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

PvP: Rewards and Progression

Do you find it really meaningful to discuss that topic? You already have detailed plans for that, from which we don’t know anything…
We get teased around often that a blog post regarding rewards and progression is coming… what should we discuss now? Tell us your plans, and we’ll tell you what we think! Every other statement from us will be completely meaningless, since we have no clue what is already on the way .

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

gidorah.4960

I think the point is we want to improve the WvW CDI moving forward.

Chris

shouldnt you make some effort to understand wvw then. skill lag is caused by poor server optimisation and population imbalance. We just had a cdi on population imbalance and the only thing that seemed clear is the wvw dev’s have no ideas or clear direction about how to fix it. It was in fact the very first time it was even admitted as a problem and that was only because of player vote and from the lack of dev interaction it is not something they seemed to want to discuss at all. The server optimization is being worked on and there isnt any point in players discussing server optimization.

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

As long as we get a few more people from the developer side to show up in these threads i am all for a weekly changing topic (again, i wouldn`t mind not team leader, but also some of the co-worker. As the leader signs everything, the others also have their thoughts put into certain elements. If we think about ascended gear for example, we got designer, balance, “lore” and background topics to discus. So it would be nice if we got these people to chime in (with a brief introduction, like a who is who)).

However it should be announced that way and we need a “conclusion” of the one beforehand, so people can prepare their thoughts on the next topic.

Basicly, what is needed is a shedule, as well as the feeling of “okay that it is for now, let`s see what we gotten out of it.”

For example:
“First week of our weekly CDI. The topic for this thread is “ascended gear”. For starters i want to know how your thoughts are at the moment on the implemented items. What did you like, what did you not like?
While more ascended gear will be intoduced, what are your expectations and your hopes? (aquisition, design, overall implementation)"

Followed by a message in saturday:
" Thank you for your participation. Even though there are still discussions open, we will sticky this thread for now, as we now enter our second CDI Thread: PvP Rewards and Progression." While you can still post here, we will turn our mainfocus on the next matter at hand starting on monday.
Please be assured that we will continue reading here for at least half a week, at which point we will announce our conclusions for this CDI topic. Be aware that this is not the end of this discussion, so it might be comming back at a later week, if there is a great desire by the community to delve deeper into this matter."

at least i imagine it somehow like that.

Can we have a subforum, where old discussion go? so we don`t have dozens of stickies after a while?

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Hi Gidorah,

First of all i was listing the next topics and asking everyone’s thoughts on choosing the original topics. I made no comment on whether or not that discussion was valid.

Secondly there is certainly value to discussing this issue being that any ArenaNet dev is welcome to post.

Third, i am sorry that the WvW thread wasn’t more like the PVE one. This is my fault in that i underestimated how busy the guys were, and also that they feel anxious around posting due to not being a 100% percent sure about what they can discuss and secondly their trepidation in posting which can be a pretty difficult environment for them sometimes.

Fourth, be under no illusion that these guys work very hard, play the hell out of WvW and are excellent at their jobs. Please note that i also (like many others at Arena) play WvW.

Finally my proposal around the next topics for discussion was to hear folks opinions. Please don’t assume what my personal opinion is around those individual topics.

I appreciate your patience and hope that this makes some sense.

Chris

(edited by Chris Whiteside.6102)

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

gidorah.4960

Hi Gidorah,

First of all i was listing the next topics and asking everyone’s thoughts on choosing the original topics. I made no comment on whether or not the discussion was valid.

Secondly there is certainly value to discussing this issue being that any ArenaNet dev is welcome to post.

Third, i am sorry that the WvW thread wasn’t more like the PVE one. This is my fault in that i underestimated how busy the guys were, and also that they feel anxious around posting due to not being a 100% percent sure about what they can discuss and secondly their trepidation in posting which can be a pretty difficulty environment for them sometimes.

Fourth, be under no illusion that these guys work very hard, play the hell out of WvW and are excellent at their jobs. Please note that i also (like many others at Arena) play WvW.

Finally my proposal around the next topics for discussion was to hear folks opinions. Please don’t assume what my personal opinion is around those individual topics.

Chris

sure it makes sense but it doesn’t fix the problem. Go check out the wvw version of this discussion and see how poorly it is being received because of the poor job the wvw dev’s did and fix it. I will be more impressed by you fixing the problem and not terrible concerned about the excuses for why it went wrong.

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Hi Gidorah,

First of all i was listing the next topics and asking everyone’s thoughts on choosing the original topics. I made no comment on whether or not the discussion was valid.

Third, i am sorry that the WvW thread wasn’t more like the PVE one. This is my fault in that i underestimated how busy the guys were, and also that they feel anxious around posting due to not being a 100% percent sure about what they can discuss and secondly their trepidation in posting which can be a pretty difficulty environment for them sometimes.

Chris

sure it makes sense but it doesn’t fix the problem. Go check out the wvw version of this discussion and see how poorly it is being received because of the poor job the wvw dev’s did and fix it. I will be more impressed by you fixing the problem and not terrible concerned about the excuses for why it went wrong.

HI Gidorah,

I have not put forward a single excuse. You seem to be quite upset about this, so perhaps it would be worth taking a time out and re-reading my posts.

The CDI is in its infancy.

The whole point of this thread is to discuss and evolve what went wrong after every topic discussion.

Please don’t expect everything to run perfectly and i would suggest, if you cant wait, coming back in a month or so by which time the community and dev interaction will have better synergy and experience.

Please don’t take my comments as anything personal. Many of your posts have been awesome, but i have seen you becoming more and more frustrated. I get that, but please have a little more patience or take a break from the initiative for a few days.

Finally lets not derail the thread anymore than we already have done.

Chris

(edited by Chris Whiteside.6102)

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: StriderShinryu.6923

StriderShinryu.6923

Thoughts?

Chris

Personally, I’m not a fan.

I can understand that it would allow the higher ups who have their hands in a number of areas to participate in each as they became active. I think one issue that the CDI faces right now, however, is momentum. The current threads have already been something of a wasteland for meaningful interaction. Perhaps I’m not the normal player, but I play PvE nearly exclusively (I’ve popped into WvW a few times and haven’t touched PvP at all). I’d imagine many players are in the same boat as me, except maybe they focus on WvW or PvP instead. By alternating areas of focus you’re basically going to be leaving the players not interested in that area of the game in the lurch for two weeks at a time.

There’s already a problem with a lack of interaction, and not really addressing entire subsets of players at all for certain periods is just going to make that worse.

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Thoughts?

Chris

I can understand that it would allow the higher ups who have their hands in a number of areas to participate in each as they became active. I think one issue that the CDI faces right now, however, is momentum. The current threads have already been something of a wasteland for meaningful interaction. Perhaps I’m not the normal player, but I play PvE nearly exclusively (I’ve popped into WvW a few times and haven’t touched PvP at all). I’d imagine many players are in the same boat as me, except maybe they focus on WvW or PvP instead. By alternating areas of focus you’re basically going to be leaving the players not interested in that area of the game in the lurch for two weeks at a time.

There’s already a problem with a lack of interaction, and not really addressing entire subsets of players at all for certain periods is just going to make that worse.

Yep this is definitely the major con in the proposal.

Chris

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

gidorah.4960

Hi Gidorah,

Chris

HI Gidorah,

I have not put forward a single excuse. You seem to be quite upset about this, so perhaps it would be worth taking a time out and re-reading my posts.

The CDI is in its infancy.

The whole point of this thread is to discuss and evolve what went wrong after every topic discussion.

Please don’t expect everything to run perfectly and i would suggest, if you cant wait, coming back in a month or so by which time the community and dev interaction will have better synergy and experience.

Please don’t take my comments as anything personal. Many of your posts have been awesome, but i have seen you becoming more and more frustrated. I get that, but please have a little more patience or take a break from the initiative for a few days.

Finally lets not derail the thread anymore than we already have done.

Chris

why shouldnt i be frustrated with the poor job done in the wvw thread and then the follow up lack of understanding shown in picking the next topic. There is still no dev post in the wvw cdi discusion to answer the communities criticisms and it fell to the second page a few times because no one really expects the dev’s to bother discussing anything with the wvw community. They have done a poor job in the past and your new initiative to make it better only confirmed how unwilling they are to have a discussion and how out of touch the developers seem to be with the wvw community. I am far less concerned with your defense of the wvw team than I am with your complete lack of effort to fix it.

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

The Lost Witch.7601

I think it could work to change the CDI area (PvP/WvW/PvE) every week, but I wouldn’t set the boundaries in stone.

Some topics might develop in ways we cannot anticipate. Some may need more than a week, others could be exhausted in days.

If a topic clearly demands more discussion then it would be nice to keep it running a bit longer. This would mean that there may be multiple CDI’s running at a time though. (Since it wouldn’t be right to keep the purely PvP folks waiting for a month before it is their turn again)

And perhaps a change, or broadening of the topic if it hits a dead end. (Like what Uttar mentioned: Skill Lag could be a difficult topic to keep going for a week) It could become discouraging if the CDI on WvW went sour again, since it would be weeks before a new WvW topic comes along.

Also: Perhaps it could be an idea to rework the suggestions subforum (it says in the sticky that it’s temporary, and it has been saying that for a year).

A CDI-based sticky with an inspiring dev question

I imagine something like:

’The CDI on the Living Story offered us some great insight in how the playerbase experienced what we designed. These insights already have an impact as we are starting our designs for summer 2014. The responses in the thread seemed to indicate that you are ready to take on another elder dragon. How do you envision this?

Think of things like:

What type of event should it be? Instanced, like a dungeon and if so – how many people? Open world, like Tequatl, but more massive? A new personal story, like Zaithan, but with a better ending?

What would you like to see? Don’t forget to hit those +1’s on the ideas that you like!

(Please do try to make it easy for us to read!)’

This could keep the initiative going with focused in depth ideas and suggestions. Then later on, when there is a bit of spare time, the devs would round up the topic with some highlights and observations.

Not only would this allow the CDI to go over time, it would also give the eager brainstormers some guidance as to where their efforts would be most useful.

(Instead of the current implementation of the suggestions forum that feels very much like a place where ideas go to be lost forever.)

(edited by The Lost Witch.7601)

CDI- Process Evolution

in CDI

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

Thoughts?

Chris

On the other hand, it means they can focus entirely on your issues when it comes to your turn. By ‘your’ I of course mean the area of the game you’re interested in.

The real draw back I see is the potential that, with the 2week release schedule of the living story, some of the PvE CDIs could miss entire patches. Alternatively a WvW CDI or PvP CDI might not match up well with the timing of a patch that focuses on one of those aspects if they adhere to a strict rotation of topics.