Collaborative Development: Ladders & Seasons

in CDI

Posted by: Sari.9836

Sari.9836

I would still like to emphasize how important a fair balance for the enjoyment of a league or ladder is (I also hope the league and ladder system are in-game systems).
Competitive players are way too fed up with things like Healing Signet, Spirit of Nature, etc. to be motivated to play in leagues or ladders. What was a somewhat fair balance was the balance between February 2013 and June 2013.
Also, I second that competitive players are moreso hardcore than casual.

(edited by Sari.9836)

in CDI

Posted by: Bart Weird.9671

Bart Weird.9671

Heard about recognition? If everyone in game after you won the HoH sees your guild tag, thats already enough,…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sudhKI2v_sM
[Grawl Shaman Duo Scale 80]

in CDI

Posted by: aussieheals.6843

aussieheals.6843

Heard about recognition? If everyone in game after you won the HoH sees your guild tag, thats already enough,…

Without the ability to view those top matches that have been played within Guild Wars 2 itself how is the majority going to know who your great guild is? Also, most top teams don’t even rep the same guild.

It would be great if their was an in game message that came across your screen before the match started that told you to type say “/watchnow” and it would open up the twitch browser for you.

IGN: Aussie Archer

in CDI

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

After reading a lot of the great posts in here, I would have to agree with having shorter seasons. I think it would be more effective as a motivator to play and at the end and start of every new season it would be really exciting.

Longer seasons to me would have more lulls of excitement in them. I also think longer seasons would discourage skill updates. I wouldn’t want a skill update midseason.

I think balances should happen after every season as well to change up the meta. I really think seasons should be 1 to 2 months in length at the most.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

in CDI

Posted by: Heezdedjim.8902

Heezdedjim.8902

“Cash-like” rewards we can buy shiny things with are nice, but I think that the truly competitive players, and even those less competitive, would more appreciate unique titles and finishers for the top three leaderboard spots of each season (team and solo), as well as common unique finishers for those who rank in broad gold/silver/bronze bands at the end as well.

People who are competitive and “hardcore” really like having these sort of “feat of strength” rewards that show you were there back when and you did some big hard thing, and you earned something that will be a unique record of what you did forever.

Giving unique rewards for each tier and the top three spots lets everyone get some lasting recognition linked to their performance. And these would be things you can compete for anew each season; either to move up and get the harder to win titles, or just to keep placing at the same level to show your dedication.

And for those that aren’t that competitive, a title and finisher that is unique to the season, but awarded to everyone who completes a relatively simple 10-part meta achievement would offer a nice “I was there” token that they could get, which still means a little something to those that made the effort to get it.

in CDI

Posted by: whyme.3281

whyme.3281

What type of structure would you find interesting for leagues and ladders?
GvG with 5v5, 10v10, 20v20, 30v30 and 50v50.

How long should a season last?
one season per month and at the end of the year (or half year) a turnament with the best Guilds of the previous seasons.

What would motivate you to play in one?
Special skins, Titles (10v10 Champion of the month), the fun, the challenge, guildbuffs for PvE/WvW…. As long as the matchmaking works, the guilds have the possibility to design their own castles and the balance between both sides is given, it should be very interesting for everyone.

What types of rewards would you like to see?
Like I said above, special skins and titles and guildbuffs for PvE/WvW.

How would a player earn these rewards?
Its a ladder, so not just only by playing or by winning a certain amount of games, bad players with a lot of time, that manage to win some games should not get those prestige skins and title. Only the players of the top 10-50 Guilds should get tickets to obtain their skins and only the winner of each bracket, the title.

The points for the ladder are difficult to decide who gets point and who doesnt. It should be possible to lose points if you lose a game against a lower ranked guild and you get more points by beating higher ranked guilds. At some level/point differents between the guilds battle each other, there should be no points given/lost, to prevent “cheating”.

in CDI

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

Previous

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

Sorry, there is no such thing as a competitive casual player. There is just a casual player who plays to win, and a casual player who plays for fun/to kill time.
Moreover, ‘competitive’ usually implies you also have a regular team you play with, because you cannot really be competitive with 4 deadweights on your team…unless you’re up vs an opponent team of simlar skill level (read pve/beginners).

I think you’re using a different definition of competitive, and casual/hardcore than I would, so by your definition I agree with you, but using my own definitions I do not

We tend to think of our players in various categories, and one of the goals of any league system (or PvP in general) is to try and engage as many of those players as possible, because today’s casual player can be tomorrow’s top tourny player – if they reach the top.

My definitions, and why I think you need to think of rewards that motivate each of these groups to help encourage their participation, since they are often motivated by different things are:

Competitive Hardcore (the guy I set next to at work) – Want to win, and want to be the best. They fight for the top of the ladder, want to win tournaments, and be the best in the world.

Competitive Casual (Me) – Wants to win, don’t care bout being the best in the world and will never have time to do so, won’t ever be on top of the ladder. However, I want to be the best among players of my similar levels of interest/time, so any league that allows me to compete with people of similar skill sets/interest is one I’d participate in. If I have to also fight against the competitive hardcore, I likely wouldn’t participate. Has the potential to someday become competitive hardcore.

Casual (the gal who sits behind me at work) – Wants to play to unlock rewards, doesn’t really think they have a chance of winning or being very good and openly recognize it. Will play as long as the rewards exist, for example there are people who play PvP each day and get their daily, then run off to their next goal some place else in the game. Has the potential to someday become competitive casual.

And ideal league structure would provide motivation for people in each of these groups (by my definition of what they are) to maximize the player participation, and increase the odds that players in each category might move to a more dedicated category of player at some point.

Hope that helps explain in a bit more detail what I’m saying when I say competitive casual, and also what groups I think need to be included in a league structure – and why they may need different rewards based on their different motivations.

in CDI

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@Colin,

I do think that any league/ladder should focus more on the solo player than on the team. The reason is that teams do not stay together for long in this case. Whether because of personality conflicts, real life commitments or a changing meta, you see different teams come and go. That would make a team league difficult.

For solo, I do see the value. I’d like to see something shorter term where people really need to participate every week in order to do well.

in CDI

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Proposal Overview
Skill Splits Before Ladders Are Implemented

Goal of Proposal
PvP could be adversely affected mid-season if balance changes happened during a season.

Proposal Functionality
A skill split would enable PvP to be balanced entirely for its own sake. PvE would benefit as well as skills that may be “OP” for PvP, but fun for PvE wouldn’t get nerfed because of PvP. Also, it would open up builds for all weapon types as opposed to what happens now where certain weapons are kosher in PvP, but not in PvE and vice-versa. A “Summon Turrets” skill for PvE could happen if a skill split happened.

Associated Risks
The community having so many build options could lead to having more fun and being more creative with how they play. Having a bunch of different weapon options for each class could mean playing more classes more frequently which would also be fun. Devs would have a harder time of balancing.

I love that you guys want sPvP players to have a more connected experience to the rest of the game. I think only good thinks will come from it except where the ladder is concerned. Eventually, PvE will be affected by something that happens in tourneys and I don’t think that is fair to either side. In my opinion, it is long overdue to have skills split between formats.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

in CDI

Posted by: Lankybird.8149

Lankybird.8149

sPvP is still the best and hardest play style and should remain standard for Leagues and Ladders. However I would like to see Guilds intertwined into PVP, if the idea of Guild Battles makes ANet sick fine, but maybe a way to track guilds (all their teams of 5) on ladders would be cool.
I like 4 months, year is 12 months with 4 seasons. 4 Months just feels right.
Well simply having it will make ME want to play in it. I think season skin rewards for armor and weapons, or limited rewards always seem to bring people out. If you wanted to take that further you could give Skins for armor and weapons for top team in tournys during the season. I think pvp Skins will be more and more treasured now that PVE and PVP gear are merging just make sure we can sue the skin both places.
Armor and Weapon skins, but more importantly ones that are ONLY pvp. So when I run around in PVE people think “oh man that guy is PVP legend.”
I think now that glory is out the window, from winning tourney seem to be best way. Also for other gear or items random boxes for the losing team.
How would you encourage players of all skill levels to participate?
I think new Types of PVP systems. sPvP is amazing, but it requires a lot of skill at a lot of things. Not just your ability to kill a person 1v1. Maybe bring back some modes from GW1 as a fun alternative to get people back into the spirit of things. Training AI, dummies are fun to practice on but an AI that fought back to help out new PVPers would be nice. Rewards as mentioned before. More influence for guilds when you WIN a tournament as a guild team.

in CDI

Posted by: BryBry.8409

BryBry.8409

With the lack of respectful constructive criticism in this thread, I believe it should be locked/deleted.

in CDI

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

@Colin

I think in SoloQueue there is too much “randomness” to classify people in Competitive Hardcore and Competitive Casual category.

Party composition has a LARGE impact on your winning chance so it’s very hard to estimate individual skill level by group performance in SoloQueue.

Basically before to start division composition for soloqueue, you need to do a “pre-season” phase (announced) where people mmr can be monitored in a large number of matches (20 < x < 100). This can avoid, more or less, luck/unluck component (it’s very rare that in X (X not small) matches a good player is always unlucky and a bad player always lucky). We know in this phase (and in league too) if exist some build op/too good, people will play these builds to try to maximize the victory chance, but this is a problem linked to balance (but it’s a very important problem).

In TeamQueue is different because people know each other, so they know real individual skill level for every member of their team, create a divisions in TeamQueue of course it’s easier than SoloQueue version. Real TeamQueue problem is that there aren’t enough teams, but this is directly linked to other game problems, like rewards, balance (very important) and game mode (very important too).

Short version: Before to add seasons, you need to fix the real problems of this game.

in CDI

Lankybird.8149

Proposal Overview
Bringing back templates for PVP
Goal of Proposal
Saving minutes (I know only minutes) it takes to switch between builds. For example time it takes to go from zerker warrior to tanky warrior, reset traits, repick traits, switch skills, switch armor, switch weapons.
Proposal Functionality
This is from Guild Wars, you used to be able to save your skills that you had set. To build on that save how you have your traits set as well. I noticed when I was trying out condition Mesmer I wanted to go back to my GS Mesmer I could not remember how I had it EXACTLY as I did before and it was frustrating. It would be nice to have saved templates of builds you like with Either Traits or Skills or BOTH. If you wanted to take it as far as armor and how you have them set up that would be really cool to. (PVP ONLY)
Associated Risks
1.). Easier to copy paste powerful builds from the internet and easily switch between them now but that is still possible now.
2.) Mass confusion and sadness when abilities are taken out or profession traits are changed. (You would have to redo all of your templates)

in CDI

Lankybird.8149

With the lack of respectful constructive criticism in this thread, I believe it should be locked/deleted.

I am sorry that was posted right after my post? was that meant for me? SO confused

in CDI

Lankybird.8149

Proposal Overview
Guild Battles
Goal of Proposal
Having Large Guild battles to get more people active in PVP, increase guild cohesion, and add a new and hopefully equally fun PVP style as conquest PVP.
Proposal Functionality
Guild Battle
- Last Man standing, can revive but not respawn
- 10-20 people per team (Must all be in same Guild)
- Battle system that is not based on control points, but incentive to strike first (Middle of map Buff, etc.)
- A Ladder for guilds (For server and game wide)
- Reward system focused on players as well as the guild. (smaller reward than normal Tournaments but additional guild influence bonus to Guild) Also Guild rewards such as unlockable skins for guild tabard.
Associated Risks
1.) Temporary decline in player participation in WvWvW and in sPVP (but should return to normal levels over time.)
2.) Angry Forum Post (isn’t this a risk with ANY change in GW2?

in CDI

Posted by: Proven.2854

Proven.2854

I made a post about adapting the Starcraft 2 system here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Collaborative-Development-Ladders-Seasons/3683284

But I also want to add that the main reason why I prefer the Starcraft 2 system is because of a blog post I read years ago here: http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2010/7/24/analyzing-starcraft-2s-ranking-system.html

Call me Smith.

in CDI

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Proposal Overview
Provide better player statistics on the statistics ui

Goal of Proposal
Help players improve by giving them the data that allows them to see where they need improvement.

Proposal Functionality
The PvP statistics ui only really shows total, team, and solo matches won/loss. That doesn’t help a player figure out stuff like their average match score statistics like kill/skirmisher count, objective caps, revivals, etc. When I think of player statistics, I think of stuff like hockey’s plus/minus, baseball’s batting average, etc. Ranked and hotjoin matches should probably be separated onto two different stats tabs.

Associated Risks
There is a risk of gaming the hidden MMR if the exposed statistics are used in calculating a player’s MMR. That isn’t the intent of this. There must be some way to provide such information to a player to help them improve without putting the hidden MMR ranking system at such risk.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in CDI

Posted by: merkator.9206

merkator.9206

I made a post about adapting the Starcraft 2 system here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Collaborative-Development-Ladders-Seasons/3683284

But I also want to add that the main reason why I prefer the Starcraft 2 system is because of a blog post I read years ago here: http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2010/7/24/analyzing-starcraft-2s-ranking-system.html

Whoa. Cool stuff. I know GW2 uses Glicko type system for WvW. Not sure how matchingmaking works in sPvP. The blog post references the TrueSkill system developed by Micro$oft, if anyone is interested here is the paper .

While TrueSkill overall is superior to Elo (in terms of generating close matches), the paper concedes that the TrueSkill system works worse than Elo in the situation of 4v4 capture the flag gamemode (the data is coming from Halo 2 beta).

(edited by merkator.9206)

in CDI

Posted by: Rincewind.1207

Rincewind.1207

Proposal Overview
Back to 8 vs 8 or 8-20 vs 8-20 Guild battles with tournament/ladder !

Goal of Proposal
Improve A dead PvP game mode with lack of competition /Avoid PvE / farming/crafting game (boring) !

Associated Risks
No risks

Back to the brilliant 8 vs 8 GW1 tournament/ladder system !
2-3 months

GvG battles making the game competitive between Guilds and not Servers !

Special items / armors / Titles eg First season Winners etc

His Guild getting to the top ten of a tournament !

Competitive game , skill improvement !

PS Its a pitty to see LOL getting where GW should be ! ! ! ! ! And we pay for it !!!!

We Seek Pride [WSP]
Hellenic Phallanx [HP]

in CDI

Previous

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

How is it that you don’t (or refuse to) understand that good, quality, and well-made pvp will attract players in and off itself, and that rewards should really just be that final cherry on top (unless we’re talking millions of $$$, I guess, but that would still not make a pvp ‘good’), or at least better thought out (prestige/fame bring SO much more to the table than gold/money, although the former shouldn’t preclude the latter, and they are also not mutually exclusive in any kind of manner).

While I agree we still have a lot of work to continue to improve the PvP experience as well, this is a thread dedicated entirely to talking about leagues and how they would function, and my entire post was focused on the discussion of rewards within those leagues.

As for competitive and casual and my definitions, we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one! Regardless, I think the more important discussion and the entire point of this thread is: What players do we have who play PvP and how do we make leagues that motivate them, and what players do we have who don’t currently play PvP who would: and how do we motivate them.

While I understand your point and think discussions around game modes and types that can succeed is a great topic for us to continue to discuss, since we’ve done so once already, I’d encourage you to remember the goal of this CDI discussion. Remember, this is your chance to discuss leagues (and in particular, my question was rewards for those leagues) not everything else you have concerns with.

I will add a fun fact: When rewards were updated in December, PvP saw a 40% growth in player numbers that has stayed solid ever since, the largest single jump in player participation in any game content type as a result of an update we’ve ever seen. This growth was almost entirely players who didn’t play PvP before, who suddenly became interested once it was rewarding, and I’d argue it’s not even that rewarding yet. To discount rewards as meaningless might be true to you as a player, but we consistently hear very different feedback from other players, and they make this very clear in their actions. We need to make sure players who truly care about prestige and being the best are catered to, and we need a way for players who aren’t that yet can become excited and invested and someday potentially become part of the first.

I’d encourage you (in this thread) to focus your brainstorming and ideas around how we can make leagues that you’d be excited to play in, since that’s the entire point of this discussion! If prestige/fame is what motivates you for example, tell us what kind of prestige and fame systems you’d like to see in a league?

in CDI

Posted by: John Corpening.9847

Previous

John Corpening.9847

Associate Game Director

Next

Hey guys, below are notes summarizing ideas put forth from Merkator’s awesome summary up to now.

Thanks for your continued input and amazing ideas!

• Structure
    • 1-week sprints leading for points
    • WvW League style
    • Solo
    • Individual
    • Team
    • Guild based teams
    • Automated Tournaments
    • 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 8v8, and bigger
  • Rewards
    • Rewards unlocked as you climb the ladder.
    • Things that PvPers missed out on
    • Titles
    • Unique items
      • skins, weapons, armors
      • Specific item for achievements
    • Gems
    • Gold
    • Mats
    • Capes
    • Finishers
    • Rank Points
    • Ascended items
    • Legendaries
    • Precursors
    • Laurels
    • Boosters
    • Account bonuses
    • Cash
  • Earning Rewards
    • Reaching a ladder threshold
      • For straight up rewards
      • For the ability to purchase rewards
    • Complete achievements
    • Being at a certain ladder position at the end of the season
    • Winning a post season tournament
    • Winning tournaments
  • Season Duration
    • 2 weeks
    • 8 weeks
    • 2 months
    • 3 months
    • 4 months
  • Personal Motivations
    • Finding a good group
    • Rewards
    • Just love playing on a ladder
    • To improve skills
  • All Skill Level Motivations
    • Rewards
    • Matchmaking
    • Ease players into it
  • Other
    • Balance Patch Mid-season?
    • Reduce wait time for matches
    • Pre-match player confirmation
    • Include new game modes in the random selection
    • Need ways to judge skill and player improvement
      • Stats
    • Ranking per character rather than account
    • Map selection
    • Can’t be on leaderboards until X games have been played
    • Live events
    • Sell items that contribute to cash prize pool
    • Templates
    • Give each person a Solo and a Team rating
      • Average decides team tier

Also I want to give special thanks to Phantaram’s incredibly insightful post about the importance of the competitive casual group of players. It is inspiring to us to see one of the very best players in GW2 looking out for the up and coming top tier players. Looking for ways to get this group involved in league play is an important goal of this discussion.

Thanks!
John

in CDI

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

Not sure if this is the right thread to say it, but the major problem of why i don’t like pvp is because isn’t a complete deathmatch. It’s a team effort to capture things instead of a war to kill the other team before yours die. I’d love an Arena of 1vs1 deathmatch or something like that, with no teams.

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

in CDI

Previous

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

Not sure if this is the right thread to say it, but the major problem of why i don’t like pvp is because isn’t a complete deathmatch. It’s a team effort to capture things instead of a war to kill the other team before yours die. I’d love an Arena of 1vs1 deathmatch or something like that, with no teams.

Technically it isn’t no, this is a thread to discuss leagues and ways to accomplish successful leagues. Pop back and read the directions on CDI threads and it’ll help you understand how to use this format. Since you asked nicely, I’ll help you get started on how you could phrase it in a way that’d be ok for this discussion →

- I’d really love to participate in a PvP league, but I simply wouldn’t do so unless it was a death match based league. If it was a death match based league, I’d love to see the league function like this: <your ideas go here using the format on page 1>

Thanks!

in CDI

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Colin im going to let you in on a secret that is worth tens of thousands of dollars, but since I like you ill give it to you for free.

Put in capes and the people will come. Especially gold trimmed capes for the upper tiers.

Everyone will be jelly and want to know how to get one and if you can only get them through pvp people will come. So they would be good rewards.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

(edited by clint.5681)

in CDI

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

If only it was possible to get such an awesome summary and feedback from red posts in the Rangers CDI…. as it stands it has soo many pages of useful feedback from players and hardly anything coming from the development side… rangers deserve better love than this… its been over 10 pages since the last red post in there

in CDI

Previous

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

Colin im going to let you in on a secret that is worth tens of thousands of dollars, but since I like you ill give it to you for free.

Put in capes and the people will come. Especially good trimmed capes for the upper tiers.

Everyone will be jelly and want to know how to get one and if you can only get them through pvp people will come. So they would be good rewards.

I love me some capes, agreed!

in CDI

Posted by: Dwaynas Avatar.1562

Dwaynas Avatar.1562

Put in capes and the people will come. Especially good trimmed capes for the upper tiers.

So capes confirmed?
Anyways I`m looking forward to when the Season finally begins <3

all is vain – #BelieveInKarl – #EvanForPresident

in CDI

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

I forgot in a my previous reply, but i’d like to see black lion chest keys add to rewards list.

Anet add a lot of stuff to bl chest and there are so few chances to get them in game, so it could be a very cool item like a generic pvp reward.

in CDI

Posted by: Dwaynas Avatar.1562

Dwaynas Avatar.1562

I forgot in a my previous reply, but i’d like to see black lion chest keys add to rewards list.

Anet add a lot of stuff to bl chest and there are so few chances to get them in game, so it could be a very cool item like a generic pvp reward.

But most things coming out of the chest aren’t good for pvpers, only the tickets for the weapon skins are worth it
So I would say tickets instead of keys

all is vain – #BelieveInKarl – #EvanForPresident

in CDI

Posted by: islarose.7356

islarose.7356

“She got the Norn T3 and the cape with the furrrr, the whole server looking at herrrr”

Uh, yeah, anyway.. My Norn would like a fur trimmed cape, please.

in CDI

Posted by: Rassase.7943

Rassase.7943

Very nice, these are all good ideas!
I’m very lazy to log in to forum, but when i see devs are trying very hard to listen to us, then i got love for you
Hope you do good job.

in CDI

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

This thread is awesome and gives me hope that we can all work together to make the community better.

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

in CDI

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

before implement something like this the gamemodes should be fixed
(wrote it in other tread)

make a
unrankedQ for all this 1-5 man team (so players can play with friends)
soloQ for solo only
teamQ for 5 man teams only (leaderboard show TEAM ranking and not palyer ranking)

this have to be done before bring a ladder – since release gw2 pvp lose players because it is unfair and it will not change when have to play the same modes just because it has a ladder now

(edited by Romek.4201)

in CDI

Posted by: Follidus.8027

Follidus.8027

Serious questions, but if you’re not going to give a real, genuine answer, please don’t answer at all:

1) Does this thread mean you (anet) are actually going to dedicate the appropriate resources towards spvp? Is it something that you (as a company) are going to actually focus on, or is it something that you’re going to talk about, and sorry for the language, but “half-kitten .” This type of pvp model can work, and this game is good enough to work. But it won’t if you don’t put more of an emphasis into it.

2) Are decisions that effect pvp, at all levels, going to be made by people that have actual competitive pvp experience? Completely hypothetical example, but the guy at the top might have a competitive background, but what about the people in the middle? People without this experience are not going to make good decisions, period. As players, we’ve seen some of our fellow competitive spvp players join the anet team. If they can’t make spvp great, then I’d be convinced it’s not possible. Use them.

Because realistically, if these 2 things aren’t happening, then stop. Stop leading people on. Stop giving false ‘proof’ that this type of model cannot work. This game had so much potential, it could have been SO good. But there are way too many important decisions that destroyed the spvp population because 1) As a company, you are not dedicated enough to spvp, and you are not willing to do certain things, and 2) incompetence in decisions that you are capable of making.

Cause I ain’t perfect, I never said I was.
But now they’re hating cause a brotha finally got some buzz
www.twitch.tv/Follidus – Team Absolute Legends

in CDI

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

I will add a fun fact: When rewards were updated in December, PvP saw a 40% growth in player numbers that has stayed solid ever since, the largest single jump in player participation in any game content type as a result of an update we’ve ever seen. This growth was almost entirely players who didn’t play PvP before, who suddenly became interested once it was rewarding, and I’d argue it’s not even that rewarding yet. To discount rewards as meaningless might be true to you as a player, but we consistently hear very different feedback from other players, and they make this very clear in their actions. We need to make sure players who truly care about prestige and being the best are catered to, and we need a way for players who aren’t that yet can become excited and invested and someday potentially become part of the first.

First, I do think rewards are important, but I wouldn’t say that was the main reason for the increase. In December, it was a perfect storm of :

1. a lackluster holiday update (the one from a year ago was much more exciting given the newness and the multi day event)
2. WvW burnout. This was as a result of the league ending and people taking a break. I’d bet that if you reported the WvW numbers between the december update and the eotm launch, those numbers would show a big drop off
3. People trying to use their glory boosters

That said, I do think that rewards need to be increased. I’m actually VERY worried about removing glory in another 2+ weeks. I don’t think that is a very good idea to remove glory prior to the new rewards being ready.

in CDI

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

I would like to simply have a way to view my individual rank progression on the leaderboards, no matter what my current rank is. I do not care if I have an assigned rank or just a % value, I just want to be able to track my progress as I am grinding up the solo arena ladder.

What I would like to see is something much like when you are logged in and looking at the achievements leaderboards, with your ranking up top.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in CDI

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Will there be spectator mode in solo/team queue? Spectator mode is what got me into hotjoin pvp. I can just view the players, learn their builds and join any time.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in CDI

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

The quoted post below answers your argument of numbers perfectly.

First, I do think rewards are important, but I wouldn’t say that was the main reason for the increase. In December, it was a perfect storm of :

1. a lackluster holiday update (the one from a year ago was much more exciting given the newness and the multi day event)
2. WvW burnout. This was as a result of the league ending and people taking a break. I’d bet that if you reported the WvW numbers between the december update and the eotm launch, those numbers would show a big drop off
3. People trying to use their glory boosters

That said, I do think that rewards need to be increased. I’m actually VERY worried about removing glory in another 2+ weeks. I don’t think that is a very good idea to remove glory prior to the new rewards being ready.

I’ll just add in my 2 cents about the quality>quantity, especially in the long term.

If prestige/fame is what motivates you for example, tell us what kind of prestige and fame systems you’d like to see in a league?

Sleek move, I wonder how many will notice it!

All in all I can but recommend you don’t disregard the ‘first comes a good pvp then come rewards’ approach, which was also the whole point of my now already infracted and deleted post. Once you’ve got the right infrastructure set in place, you can start adding in gold capes, world-wide victory announcements, meaningful ranks, ladder rankings that show team/guild placements, not individual palyer placements…
People like to stand out, so perhaps reinvent (!) the commander head-mark as a pvp-exclusive symbol of prestige.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in CDI

Posted by: Kenshin.6154

Kenshin.6154

I did not think this would ever happen, but… for once I do agree with Karla. Ladders, seasons, rewards are all meaningless unless you have a good base design to work on. Talking about ladders, leagues and seasons for GW2 spvp is like building 3rd floor of the house with 1st and 2nd missing… Is it just me who finds that a little f…ing weird?

“Axios!”
Kenshin [Foo] ~ Piken Square
http://www.twitch.tv/pewpewkenshin

in CDI

Posted by: Your Game My Rules.5324

Your Game My Rules.5324

- Add a GvG system,
- Make a ladder with a real matchmaking system linked to guild in which at the end of the season (2months) the 32 first guilds fight each other (1vs32 – 2vs31 – 3vs30 …..) in a knockout phase.
- Offer gold/silver/bronze trims depending on Season knock out phase position (every month , trim lasts 2 month except for gold ofc)

- Add a monthly system in which EVERY GUILD could participate (and not only the 32 best ones like in Season) and offer prices (maybe different than gold/silver/poop trim, so we dont see too many of them, so ppl will play more & better to get one)

Make sure mat’s & Seasons are 2 differents things:
Season rewards the 32 best guilds
Monthly rewards everyone who wanna participate

Oh and ADD GUILDHALLS

Cptn Zhu ~ A Haven Of Tranquility [Home]
Several GW1 goldcapes ~

(edited by Your Game My Rules.5324)

in CDI

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

/wave to Zhu
Don’t think they’ll be adding in guild halls – unless they’d actually opt for making guilds matter again and scrap custom arena in the process (yea, I don’t think so) – but the rest sounds like a very solid system (;
However adding in guild halls (while keeping custom arenas) and making them a one-time-gem-purchase wouldn’t be a bad call, even if such a feature ought being obtainable with gold, but yea. It’d have FAR more purpose than renting a custom arena, at least.

I did not think this would ever happen, but… for once I do agree with Karla.

Wha? What sane individual would ever NOT agree with Karla?

Anyhow, everyone has been saying that from the very start – how it is impossible for pvp to thrive without a solid foundation, and that includes a functioning and robust basic infrastructure to build upon.

Also, as milo put it in a different thread, Anet keep on focusing “on bring[ing] players in, but never on keeping them. You keep players with good balance and fun gameplay.”, which is why all this effort around rewards, and CDIs in general, is questionable at best, granted it ever was intended on being more than just official feel-good and anger-venting threads.
As for myself, I’m fine with either outcome.

/braces self for another infraction (bring it on, danica :*).

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in CDI

Posted by: RaZaC.1963

RaZaC.1963

I’d just like to refer to Starcraft 2 for having the best matchmaking system in the eSports scene. Look at how they did it and add to it, that would be awesome.

in CDI

Posted by: aussieheals.6843

aussieheals.6843

I did not think this would ever happen, but… for once I do agree with Karla. Ladders, seasons, rewards are all meaningless unless you have a good base design to work on. Talking about ladders, leagues and seasons for GW2 spvp is like building 3rd floor of the house with 1st and 2nd missing… Is it just me who finds that a little f…ing weird?

When you want to build your dream home it’s very true that the foundations need to be laid first. But you don’t design your house after they are ready, you prepare early. Keeping this mind please read the following:

The argument would make sense if the PvP team focused on balance and design. However, this isn’t the case. The skills and balance team are working on those foundations you mention i.e , traits, amulets, large scale skill balance etc. The PvP team work on leagues, structure, game modes etc.

All signs point to the new content being released at around the same time so get constructive and design your house now!

IGN: Aussie Archer

in CDI

Posted by: AlbertoUlkesh.4517

AlbertoUlkesh.4517

I’ve thought of a few more things, since I wrote on the first page of this thread – so I’d like to add these:

Profession specific rewards
In addition to “over-all-best” for each tier, I think it would be a good idea to also have rewards/titles per profession. So if for example the best Elementalist comes in only at position 20, he can still be “best ele in tier x.”
I think this would help with whatever class imbalances might be happening at the time.

Solo Queue scoring
I mentioned this in my original post, however I’d like to emphasize, how important I think this is.

• A team should win as a team, so winning a match should awards most points.
  • A solo player however should be scored differently. His individual effort needs to be awarded.

I think people give up playing, when they perceive themselves to be playing well, but not being able to win matches due to incompatible teams.
This would also help in making a clearer distinction about these two game modes.

Profession mix
For Solo Queue in the new ladder system, the matchmaking should try to balance the professions on both teams. It’s much more fun when there’s a good mix of professions.

in CDI

Posted by: Spartacus.9743

Spartacus.9743

Structure

I think that pvp structure mode at the moment is the first problem on gw2 pvp..
Before start thinking about ladders or season, we must worry about the team balance system and the game modes..

-level range for solo and team queue
-dedicated arena for r1 to r10-15
-autobalance in solo and team queue

When I join solo queue, must hope that some new pvp player won’t join on my group cause unsually if the match goes bad they will log out and let the team fight 4v5, so i think that a minimum range of rank level (exaple only r>10 can join solo queue, only r>15 can join team queue), should be put for give new ppl the time to rank up slowly (in hot join or rank 1-15 reserved arena) and learn how to play “professional” tournament mode..

-Multibuild for character
Some ppl needs to create 2 same class player for have the chance to use 2 different builds of the same..
A build switch would be very useful so if someone wants to play a match with a bunker guard and after play a match with a dps guard, he can just switch build instead of log out, choose the guard with dps build, log in and queue, or worst, reset traits, runes and sigils just because he wanna play different..
These can be useful also for testing new builds instead of use the same meta build cause onestly, is boring change build at the end of the match every time, while with this system u can have your main build saved, and try some different traits on the second build slot..

-Account rank
Personally i don’t like the proposal of a character rank instead of an account rank..
I’ve played 800+ match with war, 400+ with guardian and 150+ with other 3 classes, I’m rank 50 and i love to play with all classes for knowing expecially what i fight against in the arena..
with character rank system, my rank should be splitted in many little ranks, while a r35 x player that plays all match with a war will have my same rank points cause of the match played with war..
Rank is the experience of the player, when u face a lvl 60 u know that u have against a skilled player, and when i will face a warrior rank 25, will i know who i have against?

-Game modes
Pvp since launch is only conquest mode, and it’s time to put some new game modes, and there’s nothing to add on this argument..
Some of the new modes can be:
-Best of X kills (in queue browser not hot join)
1v1 Arena
2v2 Arena
5v5 Deathmatch
8v8 Deathmatch

-Defend The lord
5v5
8v8

-Capture the flag
5v5
8v8

these game modes needs new reserved maps, since actually maps are designed for conquest mode..
Conquest mode, and solo and team queue should remain since they are very enjoyable, but ppl needs also other ways for have fun..

(edited by Spartacus.9743)

in CDI

Posted by: Aldizi.5671

Aldizi.5671

CS GO Type ranking system and hearth stone ranking systemsWhere you actually see progress when you win…

in CDI

Posted by: Baels.3469

Baels.3469

………SNIP

There exists a plethora of league/ladder systems in numerous successful games (and e-sports alike), actual real life tournaments, etc. which would surely serve as some great precedents for your design team.

If I were on your design team, I would be pooling as many of these precedents as I could, and determining what may or may not work for Guild Wars 2. It’s never a designers desire to directly port over or copy something… and that’ll generally get us in trouble… but you’ve got to look somewhere for inspiration, outside your own four walls.

At the end of the day, our opinions and posts are only worth so much. You have the vision for your game, you’ll decide what does or does not work for your vision. What the “playerbase” (as represented on the forums…) desires has been well documented both within this CDI thread, and innumerable threads on the forums. I’d start looking for methods to get the communities ideas to become a reality, swiftly.

Blackgate
[MERC] – Oceanic

(edited by Baels.3469)

in CDI

Posted by: Drafigo.4690

Drafigo.4690

Here are some questions to get things started but feel free to discuss other relevant ideas as well: (Quick Answers)

• I would like to see Leagues and Ladders divided up into guild teams or teams instead of individuals. I still would like to see individual stats but a way to filter the who from the mess of names would be great. I would like to see more 2v2 3v3 and I like 8v8.

• My suggestion would be for the season to last a quarter. (3months) This would allow for 4 seasons each year and allow for leaderboards and such to re-set.

*Balance and rewards accompanied by some new game types. I would also like to see Some of the pve story line to sneak into pvp so it feels like we are all collectively working to save the world. I love the gold rewards currently added. Wish this would have been around since launch.

*I like bags, chests and stuff. Just like you did during the winter event and currently with Attack of LA with the loot bags. Skins are great too! I want them all!

*Daily participation
*Winning

• this is the tricky question, Needs to be some sort of matchmaking like we currently have but with huge upgrades. I don’t have all the answers here but I can say that young teams shouldn’t have to play the best of the best. Need to find a healthy middle for the new players. Everyone likes a competitive match! Match making needs a change. I don’t have the answers but I know something is broken. Rewards and new game types will dray players and all skill level to play as long as they are ranked accordingly.

Tried to keep it short and simple.

in CDI

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Proposal Overview
Help new players learn by restricting them to hotjoin/learning mode matches before hitting any sort of ranked ladder/leagues matches.

Goal of Proposal
I once had a completely new, rank 1 player on my soloQ team who honestly didn’t know what to do and clearly wanted to learn, yet he ended up in soloQ and unintentionally caused friction with other team members. These players want good experiences and they won’t get them if they accidentally join ranked play.

Proposal Functionality
1 – Improve the soloQ/teamQ ui screen to detect if a player is new to PvP based on how many matches they have played total and present some help information there on how to do hotjoin or some other learning mode before being allowed to join ranked matches.

2 – Added bonus! Create a true learning mode where individuals and/or teams of 5 can play against an ai with guided help like how to do rotation.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in CDI

Posted by: Pixels.6532

Pixels.6532

I think people have mentioned that new rewards and new game modes, etc. might bring in new players, but long-term, players stay because the game is balanced, and let’s face it, balanced is a synonymy for fair in this context.

Focus Group Place as a Reward
In that regard, I’d like to see a “reward” where the top NA & EU players are selected as part of a PvP focus group (along with some randomly selected others) that meets on a monthly basis with 1x pvp team member and 1x balance team member to review the current meta and discuss changes and ideas around what could improve it.

That may prove too time-consuming, but at the very least, this should be 4x a year.

As far as rewards are concerned
I’d like to see the seasons limited to the 4x maps currently in team queue and an additional queue option added to the system were teams register with an NPC as a registered team and have a roster that is set for the season. Registered teams would compete in team queue (prioritize against other registered teams) and be able to compete for unique titles, accomplishments and vanity rewards.

Other maps like skyhammer and spirit watch could be accessible from their own npc and not be part of the leaderboards or seasons, just their own, slightly more rewarding than hotjoin, queue type.

Other than that, most of the rewards people have mentioned are listed on my attachment.

I call it a road map but it’s not quite, as it doesn’t really show the direction you want to take PvP, but I do think an actual road map from you folks would be nice, something that shows where you are trying to take this game mode and why.

thanks!

Attachments:

Sanctum of Rall