Collaborative Development

in CDI

Posted by: csquirrelrun.3108

csquirrelrun.3108

If immersion breaking or interrupting important game play needs to be avoided (which it probably should be), would one option be to put the poll/feedback mechanic in the character select screen? If you decide to try and get focused feedback, you could put up a poll and include a link to a specific and related thread on the forum if the player wants to give more detailed feedback, it’d also be easy to skip over and won’t annoy the player as much as an in game pop-up, but is more accessible than an in game NPC.

I can’t see polling ever being so critical that it has to occur during gameplay, but as mentioned there still should to be a way to be in contact those not frequenting the forums.

Considering the amount of interaction ArenaNet has always had with its fans pre and post launch I was taken aback that the feedback processes you’ve been discussing Chris weren’t already in place! On the one hand it speaks wonders of the team for doing so well this far, but also reveals why there is a cohort of dissatisfied players feeling they are being ignored.

in CDI

Posted by: Noobix.3958

Noobix.3958

I think polls ingame or otherwise are an inherently bad idea. The number of ‘liked it’ or ‘hated it’ people as a number is pretty useless when you dont consider the context.

Look at the Tequatl Rising update. People that couldn’t get on a highly populated enough server with organisers that knew what they were doing to have a successful kill will tell you it was ’the worst content yet. Problems such as the guesting and overflow system were barriers to their having fun. On the other hand, the people that did manage to kill Tequatl a few times will tell you it has been some of the best content yet. (Im one of them, the Tequatl update was genius btw).

You cant get the intricacies of ‘why’ a person loved some aspect of an update from a poll.

To be honest, the best thing the players can do to be in the spirit of the ‘collaborative development’ ideology is to keep doing what they have always done. Provide concise and constructive critisism to help the developers see what the problems are. The developers just have to keep up their end of the bargain by showing they are listening. There will always be trolls and flamebait posts which can easily be ignored.

in CDI

Posted by: Chris Whiteside.6102

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Hi Chris,

I still attest this is an odd thread, maybe just the tone of the first post is confusing. Since you guys seem serious about it, I’ll make a constructive suggestion.

It’s definitely true that many issues have been resolved. An example is magic find – the previous implementation was generic and caused a lot of animosity; the newer iteration is well designed, a lot more open to the community and resolves the previous issues. There are a few things however, which are raised time and time again but there is little dev response on these. Even if you guys are working on solutions, how about just creating high level threads acknowledging the problem, what the community thinks about it and peoples ideas for solutions. Even if said ideas raised are not considered, having a place on the forums which shows the developers acknowledge the issue and are showing they want to resolve it, will solve so many conspiracy threads and help resolve so much of the negative feedback on these forums. Examples of higher level topics which are raised over and over again:

Ascended Gear
- Weapons based on crafting or unlikely RNG drops. No skill based achievement patterns.
- Trinkets based on repeating content multiple times which is not ideal for all players due to requirements of content, such as being in a large guild. No crafting or skill based individual content.
- No ascended backpieces or accessories in wvw (accessories have same cost as PVE, no badge cost)

WVW
- Accound bound ranks
- Server imbalance
- T1 > Tarnished Coast > T2 > coverage = main factor in deciding matchups
- Class balance focused around pvp where perma stealth and banner revving not a problem, yet is ignored in terms of wvw balance.
- Bloodlust buff creating unfair and artificial advantages
- Power creep in passive buffs (bloodlust, guard stacks, world health bonus etc)

PVP
- Lack of game modes
- Community dropping off
- Balance issues (Jonathan did a good job highlighting coming changes, but little is discussed to do with toning down over the top elements which are ruining the current meta)
- No rewards or incentive for high level play with current meta/lack of teams

Fractals:
- Fractal level being character bound instead of account bound
- Unable to salvage fractal weapons
- Lower general rewards than open world pve yet higher difficulity
- Artifical scaling in terms of mob health
- Best rewards (unique skins) being RNG based

General PVE
- Too much temporary content
- Bleed cap/generally bad to use condi builds for team play
- Imbalanced rewards/risk/effort. For example, fire ele vs shatterer
- Precursor system totally based on rng

Devon used to do a great job in posting in the WVW forums, usually once a week he would go through and address a number of points. I don’t blame him for stopping this with the animosity caused by Bloodlust, but it was an example and people respected him for it. It’s simply a case okittennowledging there may be a potential issue and putting it out there to see how people respond. Even just creating a single thread, for discussion, once a week, with a dev post every 2 days, would do SO MUCH to help some of the anger on these forums – which again does not come from all users, but is noticeable in pockets of users which then grows larger with more and more negative feedback cycles. Also splitting the suggestion forum into a pvp suggestion forum, wvw suggestion forum, general suggestion etc will make that less of a mess.

By the way, the balance devs have stated multiple times before they only read the sPVP forum section and do not read the class forums – yet a lot to do will balance will show in the class forums as the game isn’t just pvp. The only time we see posts in the class forum seems to be regarding bugs. A ‘State of the Mesmer’ etc thread once a month by a balance dev would be nice… you never know, we may teach them a thing or two about the class in the progress. There is only 8 classes, creating 8 threads explaining the current state of the class, what is too strong/needs work shouldn’t be too much work…

Hi Asuka,

So how about 1 topic at a time in each forum with a dev or devs on each? Over a series of say 3 days then we move on and repeat?

By the way i am starting to run out of steam a bit and need to drive home soon. When i get home i will carry on discussing with everyone but at some point i NEED to get in game and have me some WvW action!

Chris

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

So by the way we have two main topics of conversation now:

1: Polls: Every seems to like them but where do they go?
2: Game Feedback Collaboration: How do we want to do this?

Chris

in CDI

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

I want to echo the people who have recently been requesting in-game polls. Since currently there has been no real acknowledgement or response to player dissatisfaction with the pace of Living Story releases, I have chosen to simply not log in at all to avoid being counted as a “satisfied customer” in your concurrency metrics.

An in-game poll where I would have the chance to have my opinions actually be counted would be something worth logging in for.

I think this is an idea worth discussion for sure. But i have a question:

Would in game polls affect the immersion for the player?

Chris

But what constitutes as “Immersion”?

…you guys had said you didn’t want to do things like fight with town clothes because it “broke immersion”, but, like…can we say that the LFG tool breaks immersion? Not too sure we can if you were keen to add it

Good point. So for me immersion breaking would be a pop up appearing after an event completes or following beating a dungeon. But you raise an interesting point with LFG. Perhaps (and i am just brainstorming here) it could be a tab that you can open up to give feedback.

I will think about it some more. Keep the ideas coming.

Chris

Pssst!!! You might want to tell some of the devs to stop breaking immersion. Every time we get a daily chest, kill a dragon/major boss once a day, finish a dungeon….

Also! before i forget. Thanks…for just being here…now…doing this. Really. It helps a ton.

(edited by nethykins.7986)

in CDI

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Of course it should be one topic at a time. Trying to sort out multiple discussions is confusing for everyone.

If an ANet dev started a new post, with a clear and honest topic, I think you’ll get a lot of good, focused replies.

Take a page out of Josh Forman’s book. He was really good at staying focused, and explaining why things were done, acknowledging good ideas, and giving honest feedback on ideas.

We understand that not every topic will lead to exactly what we all collectively want, but it would be a really good start to getting some great feedback.

The trick here will be to word things in a way that is conducive to getting great feedback.

in CDI

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

Chris

I would say either the Poll/Survey NPC’s, or Login Screen poll both seemed like good ideas. The only reason I would prefer NPC’s is they can be placed in the appropriate area, so a player’like myself who really has no interest in PvE doesn’s have to sift through a poll to find the WvW relevant items.

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

I want to echo the people who have recently been requesting in-game polls. Since currently there has been no real acknowledgement or response to player dissatisfaction with the pace of Living Story releases, I have chosen to simply not log in at all to avoid being counted as a “satisfied customer” in your concurrency metrics.

An in-game poll where I would have the chance to have my opinions actually be counted would be something worth logging in for.

Chris

I have a question for you.

Do you think it would affect it any more or less than?

- The constant bugs that remain and are introduced each month.
- The artificial time-gated content
- Living World stories that come and go without much change
- Living World remnants that never get removed, solved, or changed
- Purple player models, invisible enemies.
- Fuzzy animal hats
- Zerg farming
- etc

At this point, we can pretty much agree that the level of immersion in is game isn’t exactly super high. The Living World feels more like a scripted episode of “Full House” more than it does a dynamic, living, growing exciting, unpredictable world.

At this point, I would rather you provide an in-game feedback system and use it to effectively improve the game, than continue to “experiment” and hope it works. Neither of us has unlimited time, resources and patience. We meet to optimize all of those thing the best way we can, so we can get this game straitened out before it’s too late.

You’re asking for our patience, but honestly, you’re asking a lot. You’ve not done enough as a company to gain the trust an loyalty of many players to be asking for such things. I feel that you need to put your egos aside, and understand that in the short term, listening, and tpgathering feedback from the players you still have, will to only help solidify our relationship, but hopefully improve the game to the point where this isn’t an issue.

I am sorry you feel this way, personally i feel the team has worked really hard in an extremely challenging and important endeavour. I can also guarantee you that whilst the team is human and makes mistakes they certainly don’t have an inflated ego (-:

But i digress and disagree and look forward to getting back to the productive side of this forum discussion.

Chris

in CDI

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Wow some people complain about the “lack of immersion” but 2 post below they would like ingame polls.

Mega epic facepalm

in CDI

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

I posted this on another thread. But since Anet is actively reading this thread, I will include this here. It is very important for Anet to realize that:

1) World Event > Dungeons.

2) WvW > sPvP

I had talk to many people over the past few months, both in game and in the forums. And that’s the general conclusion most people agrees to. I cannot prove it. But just take my word for it.

1) Dungeons. When you talk to people about them, most of them talk about “rewards” and “armor&weapon skins”. Yup, that’s all they care about when they do dungeons. They don’t repeat dungeons because its fun. They do them for rewards and skins. And as soon as they finished farming that skin, or gold to trade gems, they never repeat that dungeon again.

Most player I know only did the new dungeons once, and never went back. There were a few that continue to farm the new TA dungeon for that mini. But most people don’t care.

I am almost certain that dungeons takes more development time (a lot more) than world events.

Everyone knows how frustrating it is to look for a group if you are not a warrior, guardian and mesmer. And everyone know how PUGs can fail in dungeons.

World events needs no introduction. Just read up the number of comments on Teq, compared that to the # of comments on TA Assault, and you can clearly tell that the player base cares a lot more about world events. And guess what, most of those comments isn’t about rewards for these world events. They talk about “slow spawn rates”. They talk about “Teq is too hard”. Why? Because people want to get it done! People want to play the content because its fun!

For the record, I don’t hate dungeons. I actually love the MA and TA dungeon. But I only did each of them once. I just don’t think its worth the development time Anet spent on it.

Many players appears to “hate” World Events. This is a common misunderstanding. The players hates Teq because they don’t think its well designed. They think its too hard. They think they are always stuck in overflows. They think the wait time between retry for Teq is too long. They do not, I repeat do not, hate World Events. They hate “the problems” that they face when they try World Events.

TBH, there is not a single well designed World Event in GW2 yet. Not even one. So it should be obvious that most players have no idea what a good World Event looks like. Teq is already the best World Event of what we have, but even that is pretty mediocre I got to say. There is tons of room for improvement and potential for World Events.

2) sPvP, where should I begin. I guess I will start by saying that their maps are ridiculous detailed and beautiful. Yes, go into a sPvP match right now, and check out the maps. They are some of the most beautifully made areas in the whole game, putting many PvE areas to shame. That shows how much time and effort Anet put into sPvP. Yet, almost no one plays sPvP.

I had met and talk to many people over the past few months. I only know a small handful of players that players sPvP regularly. Most just use it as a training ground for WvW.

If Anet would now totally abandon any update on sPvP, and put all their effort on WvW, very few will complain. Not one person in my guild even cares about it. sPvP already got more than enough updates for their super tiny player base.

So Anet listen to this. You are wasting a lot of resources on dungeons and sPvP, which draws very few players relatively. Look at your player’s gaming hour statistics. Compare Teq against TA dungeon. I am confident that I am right.

Please focus on World Events, and ignore dungeons for now. Do not work on a new dungeon until you guys get the World Events (like Teq) settled down. Trust me you will need to do a lot of trials, errors and player feedback to get World Events right. There is no time to lose. I mean the only “mob invasion” event we got so far was the Karka invasion of Lion’s Arch, and that event was poorly done and filled with bugs. The players already waited over one year for something like Teq. Get these World Events out there asap.

Focus on WvW, and ignore sPvP. This should explain itself.

World Events and WvW is what set this game apart. Dungeons are nothing new. Many other MMOs have dungeons. Many other MMOs have sPvP. It is World Events and WvW that will raise GW2 to new heights. So please pull more resources into developing these two areas of the game.

Also check out my other thread for Living Story recommendations.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/How-would-you-make-LS-better

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

in CDI

Posted by: Asuka Shikinami.5462

Asuka Shikinami.5462

Long post.

Hi Asuka,

So how about 1 topic at a time in each forum with a dev or devs on each? Over a series of say 3 days then we move on and repeat?

By the way i am starting to run out of steam a bit and need to drive home soon. When i get home i will carry on discussing with everyone but at some point i NEED to get in game and have me some WvW action!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Pretty much – the problem with threads like this is you get 1000 different issues raised, and what was discussed on page 2 may not exist on page 10, so it easily to a different topic. Having a different thread, for each ‘major’ issue, would help to sort things out.

It may seem like a lot more work for you guys, but may give a better appraisal of the communities stance, and there are some things which really need to be looked into – like the bloodlust buff in wvw or condi cap in pve. Also the morale on the forums would really go up. Even if it is just one topic a week, maybe split (so one pve topic, one pvp topic, one wvw topic etc).

Also, nice job on this thread and the real effort to improve communication. With the number of points which always seemed ignored and how long it has taken for a balence patch I was starting to loose faith, but between the communication surge recently and being able to discuss WVW tactics with a developer in game, it has been a great change. Keep it up!

After I’m elected, bribing me will be considered a “gold sink”
- John Smith

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Chris

…you guys had said you didn’t want to do things like fight with town clothes because it “broke immersion”, but, like…can we say that the LFG tool breaks immersion? Not too sure we can if you were keen to add it

Good point. So for me immersion breaking would be a pop up appearing after an event completes or following beating a dungeon. But you raise an interesting point with LFG. Perhaps (and i am just brainstorming here) it could be a tab that you can open up to give feedback.

Chris

Pssst!!! You might want to tell some of the devs to stop breaking immersion. Every time we get a daily chest, kill a dragon/major boss once a day, finish a dungeon….

Also! before i forget. Thanks…for just being here…now…doing this. Really. It helps a ton.

No worries thanks for being so collaborative with the discussion.By the way i have to disagree though. I personally feel that a poll is less immersive then the bouncy chest. Mainly because the chest is still in the theme of the game world and more connected to the gamestate. Where as the Poll is more abstract in terms of goal and gamestate.

This said we are having a discussion and i am just giving my opinion.

Chris

in CDI

Asuka Shikinami.5462

Btw, when game was released there were constant AMA’s on reddit or general Q&A sessions with Dev’s. Now these seem restricted to external sites and not the main forums or even reddit anymore. An occasional AMA or Q&A session, even once a month, would be great.

- John Smith

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Long post.

Hi Asuka,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Pretty much – the problem with threads like this is you get 1000 different issues raised, and what was discussed on page 2 may not exist on page 10, so it easily to a different topic. Having a different thread, for each ‘major’ issue, would help to sort things out.

It may seem like a lot more work for you guys, but may give a better appraisal of the communities stance, and there are some things which really need to be looked into – like the bloodlust buff in wvw or condi cap in pve. Also the morale on the forums would really go up. Even if it is just one topic a week, maybe split (so one pve topic, one pvp topic, one wvw topic etc).

Also, nice job on this thread and the real effort to improve communication. With the number of points which always seemed ignored and how long it has taken for a balence patch I was starting to loose faith, but between the communication surge recently and being able to discuss WVW tactics with a developer in game, it has been a great change. Keep it up!

Thanks Asuka i really appreciate YOUR communication to. How about this then:

1 thread at a time in each main forum that runs for a few days. Then we move onto the next topic and rinse and repeat?

Not perfect but hey it’s a start! (-:

Chris

in CDI

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

2996kittenris Whiteside.6102:

Chris

Chris

No worries thanks for being so collaborative with the discussion.By the way i have to disagree though. I personally feel that a poll is less immersive then the bouncy chest. Mainly because the chest is still in the theme of the game world and more connected to the gamestate. Where as the Poll is more abstract in terms of goal and gamestate.

Chris

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.
(Specifically, I’m Talking more about this)

Attachments:

in CDI

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Chris

I have a question for you.

Do you think it would affect it any more or less than?

- The constant bugs that remain and are introduced each month.
- The artificial time-gated content
- Living World stories that come and go without much change
- Living World remnants that never get removed, solved, or changed
- Purple player models, invisible enemies.
- Fuzzy animal hats
- Zerg farming
- etc

At this point, we can pretty much agree that the level of immersion in is game isn’t exactly super high. The Living World feels more like a scripted episode of “Full House” more than it does a dynamic, living, growing exciting, unpredictable world.

At this point, I would rather you provide an in-game feedback system and use it to effectively improve the game, than continue to “experiment” and hope it works. Neither of us has unlimited time, resources and patience. We meet to optimize all of those thing the best way we can, so we can get this game straitened out before it’s too late.

You’re asking for our patience, but honestly, you’re asking a lot. You’ve not done enough as a company to gain the trust an loyalty of many players to be asking for such things. I feel that you need to put your egos aside, and understand that in the short term, listening, and tpgathering feedback from the players you still have, will to only help solidify our relationship, but hopefully improve the game to the point where this isn’t an issue.

I am sorry you feel this way, personally i feel the team has worked really hard in an extremely challenging and important endeavour. I can also guarantee you that whilst the team is human and makes mistakes they certainly don’t have an inflated ego (-:

But i digress and disagree and look forward to getting back to the productive side of this forum discussion.

Chris

I never said you weren’t working hard, or that you didn’t care. When I talk about ego, I mean that it can be hard to admit when something just isn’t working as intended.

I’m a graphic designer (formally a makeup artist) so I know that feeling when the client doesn’t jump for joy, or understand your vision. It is very hard to get past that, “pffft, what does that jerk know, I’m the pro here!” mentality.

Approaching your community with clear, honest tones (like you’re attempting here), is a much better approach than telling us were nothing more than a vocal minority, and that “we are listening” only to not listen.

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Uh I have a topic for you as well. It is called RNG

I don’t mind some sort of RNG element in a game. It makes you open chests etc. with some amount of anticipation.

However: I do think gw2 rely too much on the RNG factor.

Let’s take Tequatl as an example. We all know that organizing this event takes effort. We all know that once you are in the right main server or overflow, you cannot leave. You are stuck there for 1 hour +.

We all know we are rewarded differently for this. Some will get the mini pet, some will get ascended gear, I know of some that have successfully killed him more than 60 times by now and got nothing but greens.

Tequatl is obviously just one example. Another would be the mystic forge for precursors or precursors random drop chance, The Black lion claim tickets, the new weapons from Twilight Arbor. Actually, outside dungeon tokens, most seems to be RNG drop chance.

I think this is a problem. I think there should be some way to work towards something outside RNG.

Crafting precursors (which is my understanding are at high risk of not happening this year) would be a step in the right direction.

Another good idea, which someone suggested elsewhere, would be adding some sort of token for killing Tequatl so people that do not win the RNG lottery are still working towards something. Let’s say you could buy an ascended weapon once you had x amount of tokens. That would mean killing him x amount of times and you might get lucky with RNG, but if you don’t, then you are still working towards something. Tequatl does take a lot of time. Time people could have spent gathering mats for their ascended weapons or time they could have spent jumping on the champion farm train and earned the gold to buy the minipet or ascended materials of the TP.

I feel I lack something outside the RNG. I am not a lucky person. I do however play with someone that seems to be blessed by the RNG gods. Or in his words: “I have silly RNG luck, I have always had silly RNG luck in games”.

We do the same events, the same dungeons etc. I have more magic find than he does, I even play more hours a day than he does, but since the greatest rewards come from RNG…. Well, it doesn’t really matter how much I play or don’t play. It is not that I am jealous of him in that regard, we have played together for more that 5 years and we share a bank, materials, recipes etc. anyway, but I do think it shows the flaws in the RNG system.

I have played this game since February and yesterday I got my 6th exotic drop ever (which sells for the impressive amount of 1.20g) In the meantime, he got 20+. One, which sold for nearly 200g.

Thanks to my friend again I do have the Tequatl mini pet, I do have the abyss and celestial dye but outside gathering crafting materials I never have much to offer in return. The dyes I open aren’t the good ones, I am yet to get anything but greens and 2 cheap exotics from Tequatl. When it comes to who has contributed the most to our character progression, it is not even close to being a draw.

I think it adds to the problem that we now have ascended items. Those are not just cosmetic enhancements, those are actually +stats enhancements. Whether you gain those weapons through drops or through earning gold and buying the materials of the TP, it would help if your income to a higher extend was based on your effort. Outside chopping wood and mining materials, it is all about RNG. I would love to discuss how to possibly change that.

RNG would be a great topic to discuss!

Chris

in CDI

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

Chris

Chris

Chris

You know, a poll would make more sense.

Also it would work in game for things people do on there. The forums aren’t populated by many of the players. If an ingame poll or survey or something showed up, it would bring in more data as to what the thought of that particular event/dungeon/activity is. You would have to make it so that it doesn’t show up for every single thing a person does. That would get annoying fast, but, have it so that it’s set to random. Like every nth thing a survey shows up. It would help the devs the most in designing content. And maybe have one at the end of every LS sequence just to see what people thought of that particular element.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Chris

Chris

- Seiging a T3 keep
- Just broke through outer
- Attacker stacks, fire fields, drops veils
- ‘Hi, how do you feel about guild wars 2 today?’ popup appears
- Guild stop fighting, keep lord takes a tea break while everyone fills in survey. Warriors clean their banners, guardians polish the golems.
- War resumes.

I can see that happening.

;)

(edited by Chris Whiteside.6102)

in CDI

Posted by: Reesha.7901

Reesha.7901

1 thread at a time in each main forum that runs for a few days. Then we move onto the next topic and rinse and repeat?

Chris

I personally think this would be a good start, but I am curious on how you would decide on the topics?
(Maybe we should make a poll regarding that lol).

in CDI

Posted by: nihavel.6592

nihavel.6592

Hey chris, are you ready for release of an expansion?

I know you will not give me an answer, ‘cause surely you don’t waste the “bullet” here and the annunce will implement in a living story in the future.

I’m telling this ’cause (talking with my friends and guildmates) i realize when a player hit 8000 AP he starting become bored of the game cause he usually do all non-griding contents.

Living story have the role to “charm” players to log in 1 times every 2 weeks at least, but, if you don’t release an expansion LS will lose its work, LS by LS.

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

[…]
So back to the matter at hand. Through reading the posts i think it would be really useful for me to start a thread like ‘name one thing you would like to see improved in Guild Wars 2’ and then start riffing with you all on these subjects matters and try to make a more meaningful connection with you all that way by which we can define a process together for Collaborative Development?

I am also going to ask that we build out more time for team members to post and i will follow up with you all on that.

What do you think, does this sound like a good way to move forward?

Chris

In my opinion a really good way.

Cool! Looks like we are on the road to ‘Great Success’ (-:

Chris

in CDI

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

On the topic of 2:Game Feedback Collaboration, one of the things I’m seeing throughout this thread is the request from players for a sense that they are being heard. It might be worth taking a cue from some of the “bug compilation” and similar threads that players take it upon themselves to start and maintain. The original poster watches the thread, and updates the OP to reflect and summarize the discussion that follows.

Imagine a developer in charge of a specific area creating a feedback request thread. The developer posts a targeted question. Perhaps they set a particular time frame, such as three days later. People who would like to reply know they have three days to do so, and don’t expect the developer to get back on the thread until the end of that period, so no “why aren’t you responding?” posts are necessary.

Then, when the times up, the dev takes some time to read through the responses, then updates the OP with a list of bullet points summarizing what they’ve gleaned from the responses. They could also ask further, very targeted questions for clarifications or to float ideas at that point for additional feedback if needed (with another deadline for compiling and response).

With something like this, there’s defined expectations about everyone’s part in the conversation. The developer isn’t expected to be sitting on the forums having a conversation all day, but the players can expect a specific “I hear you saying A, B, and C” and maybe a “what about D?” before “thanks for the feedback, I’ll get with my team”.

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

To me, it’s simple.

1. Create / reintroduce an in-game feedback system similar to the one created for beta.
2. At the bottoms have a space for buttons.
– if player inputs any data, change button to “submit”
– else, buttons show “skip” and “stop bugging me”
3. Until player chooses to opt out, the game will prompt users
4. Allow users to “opt-in” through setting menu

That said, I’m not sure we need this much micro data. I think it could be valuable to have a survey pop up at login, and ask a series of questions relating to the game in general. While it would be nice to have feedback for each battle, I don’t think it’s needed.

You just need to get some data to see if certain things are working or not.

EDIT: Someone mentioned above an NPC for surveys. I think this has a lot of merit. There are a bunch of clever, fun, not immersion breaking ways to integrate these into the world. If desired.

In the end, it think whatever method used it needs to be easy to find, use, and understand. The questions need to be fair, and honest.

Some good ideas there for sure!

Chris

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

On the topic of breaking immersion. I’m someone who really values it, and constantly talk about it, even did several videos about the immersion in GW2. That said, having a pop up wouldn’t break the immersion anymore then the already constant pop ups on the side that show the living story, daily progress, zone events, etc.

You can have immersion if the UI blends in well in the world. That said, it’s getting close to 2:19 am here and I got work in the morning. I’d love to discuss this again at a later date. :P

NN

in CDI

Asuka Shikinami.5462

Long post.

Hi Asuka,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Chris

<3

Try it out and see how it goes! Then you can have a poll to determine if your way of polling the community is working (yo dawg, getting meta here :P). I think you’ll be surprised how much effort people will put into explaining problems and solutions instead of complaining, if they are given a real chance to do so.

- John Smith

in CDI

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Evening Chris,

Regarding surveys and immersion etc, I really don’t think that’s really a factor here when you have notification mechanisms that already break it. Current example is the Scarlet Invasion notifications, which are using the system you originally designed to give Patch and Restart notices. So, why not leverage that? “We have a new survey about the current patch, it can be accessed from [insert method here].”

And keep that mixed in with an in-game mail at much lower frequencies (say once a month) – or, have a more ‘static’ MOTD on your login program (though that really needs to be larger to accommodate what I have in mind).

As for access, a /survey command sounds like the easiest way to do it, and would re-direct to the actual survey in a relatively ‘safe’ manner. Accessing it from the same screen as Bug Reports (again, just kicking off your browser) would work very well too.

Now, one point not mentioned yet: Please make sure to publish results – no matter how bad that may end up for either your group or us players – and your planned response/changes in light of that. This continues the give-take of communication and encourages more and more players to participate (they’ll see there is an impact).

Shorah b’shemtee (peace be with you) and good luck,
—S_A

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Hi, Chris!

This thread (specifically your recent replies) gives me renewed hope! It felt like before launch there was a good dialogue going between all of you and the players, but that it became more and more sparse the farther we got from launch.

The number one thing that first got me hooked on GW2, two years before the game went live, was the passion with which you all spoke about the game. It truly felt like a team of people working to make the game you want to play yourselves.

I’d like to echo a few things that have been said previously in this thread, but stand out as the most important to re-establishing that communication and excitement.

1. We need more statements of the vision for the game. You’ve seen the “manifesto” posts on these forums. Part of the player base feels that your original vision for the game that you expressed so passionately early on (not just in the manifesto video, but in other statements frequently quoted) no longer apply. Some people are unhappy about that. Some people defend it as evolution of the game. But no one seems to be able to point to anything significant post launch that either upholds those original vision statements or replaces them.

It seems like recent “here’s where the game is going” statements focus on lists of things you are working on or would like to implement in the future. Specific features, bug fixes, and the the like.

Possibly the movement to the “living world” concept works as one of those vision statements post-launch, but I think we need something more. This is the touch-stone by which we can come back to you with feedback. We can all argue over whether any given change in the game is good or bad, but that just comes down to personal preference. If there is a clear mission, vision and value statement, so to speak, we have something to hold changes up against so we can let you know whether the change is serving that vision or not.

2. More “why” along with the “what”. When you make changes, it helps a lot to know what though process went into it. Again, this will help us then give feedback that makes sense. If I don’t know why a certain change was made, all I can do is tell you if I liked the change or not. If I do have an idea why the change was made, I can give very specific feedback as to whether or not it’s have the intended effect, regardless of whether I personally like it.

Finally, before answering one of your specific questions below, I’m not sure a “what is your number one concern” thread would be terribly useful. Especially if there’s no way to restrict everyone to answering only once. You’re going to be inundated with everyone’s personal pet peeves, like many of the posts sprinkled throughout this thread.

Could I, instead, suggest you or others on your team simply comb back through the last few pages of each subforum? If you look for the posts with a large number of views, responses, or even (if possible) those that stayed on the first page for a significant amount of time, you’ll find the really issues people are most passionate about, and are probably in need of a developer response. It’d be fairly easy to create a punch-list of top forum community concerns to address.

Yes, very much so. I tried to dutifully fill them out during the BWEs when they popped up, but I found them very disruptive.

Unless, maybe, they could pop up during loading screens, when play has been interrupted anway? Or perhaps just one that shows up upon opening the client?

The other problem with polls is that it’s really hard to create them without steering the replies. I often find myself thinking, “That’s not really the question they should be asking” in order to get meaningful feedback on how I felt about whatever aspect of the game.

Thanks again for this thread, and taking your time this evening to dig into it! Like many, I have been a passionate fan of this game for several years now (long before even setting foot in Tyria 2.0). Lately, I have been a bit snarky at times on the forums, and for that I apologize to you and the rest of your co-workers.

I appreciate your team’s passion and talent.

Hey Hey,

Colin popped in earlier i think and said there would be a bigger cadence of updates. In regard to 2 i think that is also key and will be a natural part of discussing aspects of the game i think.

Thanks for taking the time to post and putting forward your suggestions.

Chris

in CDI

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Also it would work in game for things people do on there. The forums aren’t populated by many of the players.

I’ve been saying this for a while now.

The problem with using the forums as the place for information is that many players don’t use it. When asking for feedback, I think it needs to be in-game. It is the only way that ANet can get the best possible representation of the community at large.

While the “vocal minority” on this forum aren’t necessarily right, nor wrong, it is a very small sample size of the overall player base.

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

I think feedback can be commented on, without giving the whole game away. I think questions can be asked and answered without giving the game away to. The problem is it just isn’t good for us to talk about specific work in progress before we are confident about it. So i suggest we ask questions and feedback on any areas of the game but don’t go into specifics regarding development of said items?

This is something we should discuss more in this thread.

Chris

I think sometimes the most important thing is being heard.
I don’t expect you to go into specifics, but I think it is important to know that the feeback provided at least is being considered.
If you made a topic asking for feedback regarding.. well what ever topic really, and as an example simply asked people something along the lines of:

“What would in your opinion be the biggest quality of life improvement on xxxx (ability/encounter/mechanic) and why?”

I am pretty sure you would get a lot of interesting suggestions, and if you replied as you do here in this topic (which is not game revealing either) I think you would have entered a constructive dialog with the community.

Agreed.

Chris

in CDI

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Chris

1. It might be best if first we’d figure out whether in game polls would be opt-out or opt-in, or both.

1a. Opt-out – If doing opt-out it makes sense to make it very visible. It’d be important to provide a very simple opt-out function for those who would prefer immersion not be impacted. Having a setting to toggle the opt-out shouldn’t be forgotten.
1ai. The login screen would be a logical place
1aii. Being a UI element upon immediate login could work

1b. Opt-in – If doing an opt-in approach it makes sense to have this be more of a hidden feature.
1bi. A menu item to access it could work
1bii. Also I saw a suggestion about using an in game npc, which would help with immersion.

That all said, there’s probably very little preventing both an opt-in and opt-out from approach implemented to accommodate the most amount of people. Since, they can feasibly be mutually exclusive of each other it may make sense to do.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Chris

Chris

Chris

in CDI

Skan.5301

Also it would work in game for things people do on there. The forums aren’t populated by many of the players.

I’ve been saying this for a while now.

The problem with using the forums as the place for information is that many players don’t use it. When asking for feedback, I think it needs to be in-game. It is the only way that ANet can get the best possible representation of the community at large.

While the “vocal minority” on this forum aren’t necessarily right, nor wrong, it is a very small sample size of the overall player base.

Exactly. That’s why if it’s in-game, the potential to get the whole playerbase is there. There might be few who ignore it, but, most would be willing to participate and take 30s out of their life if it was introduced and explained why, in this case to garner information on what players think of whatever they just participated in to further improve the state of the game and future updates.

The explaining part would be the key, as people would then express what they really think of the content instead of just hitting 5’s on everything and submitting. Have a box to add any additional thoughts as well. Then the devs have more insight.

– Euripides

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Chris

I personally think this would be a good start, but I am curious on how you would decide on the topics?

That’s the next question we have to resolve is folks like the basic idea.

Chris

in CDI

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Chris

1. It might be best if first we’d figure out whether in game polls would be opt-out or opt-in, or both.

1a. Opt-out – If doing opt-out it makes sense to make it very visible. It’d be important to provide a very simple opt-out function for those who would prefer immersion not be impacted. Having a setting to toggle the opt-out shouldn’t be forgotten.

1b. Opt-in – If doing an opt-in approach it makes sense to have this be more of a hidden feature.
1bii. Also I saw a suggestion about using an in game npc, which would help with immersion.

That all said, there’s probably very little preventing both an opt-in and opt-out from approach implemented to accommodate the most amount of people. Since, they can feasibly be mutually exclusive of each other it may make sense to do.

The in game mailing system could potentially be used as well.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in CDI

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

That’s a great idea.

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Long post.

Hi Asuka,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Chris

<3

Try it out and see how it goes! Then you can have a poll to determine if your way of polling the community is working (yo dawg, getting meta here :P). I think you’ll be surprised how much effort people will put into explaining problems and solutions instead of complaining, if they are given a real chance to do so.

Agreed and Lol regarding ‘Poll in a Poll’

Chris

in CDI

Skan.5301

Chris

The in game mailing system could potentially be used as well.

That could work. Send an official mail like the ones for the LS with the star or something so people aren’t like this is an attempt to hack my account.

Set it into the account profile to opt in or opt out and have people log in and choose one. This requires some work but it would probably be the best way.

People are ready to explain when they know they’re heard. At that point, it won’t just be complaining, it’ll be pitching potential solutions to fix a problem.

– Euripides

in CDI

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

This could not go unnoticed by me

A few things I’ll comment on and then leave this thread for good(probably).

-Where are the semi-frequent AMA’s you said you wanted to do almost a year ago Mr. Whiteside?(im not trying to be condescending, apologies) You said the same thing then as you say now, that you want to communicate better in the future. Here we are, almost a year later and you are still saying the same thing.

-Living Story and Ascended gear are the two most controversial items. Unless I am proven otherwise, I cannot believe that an overwhelming majority of the playerbase supports Living Story or Ascended gear. From the official forums, to fan sites, to in game chatter…theres enough disbelief in these two systems for me to say that it they are both controversial items…highly controversial. They are not slam dunks like we might be led to believe.

-The one thing that stood out to me was when Mr. Whiteside began asking “is this the place you want to be”? One can interpret that as "We are listening, but we have a direction and if you’re not on board, tough. " or “This game is not for everyone”, yet Arenanet tried to cater to everyone by introducing ascended gear and progression into the game. When I spent my hard earned money on this game, I truely thought that this was a game that anyone could pick up at any time and play. It has drifted from that core concept. And now the Studio Director is asking us “is this game for you”? Well, now that you mention it, I guess it isn’t. It was fun while it lasted, and many can argue that the first 3 months of the game were the best.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

(edited by cesmode.4257)

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Chris

Chris

Chris

in CDI

Posted by: Grimthagen.6019

Grimthagen.6019

Regarding poll location – I’d put it in the launcher. It’s the one part of the game that every active player sees and interacts with on a regular basis. If it’s in the UI somewhere people will miss it, or they’ll get in game and get occupied with everything and forget to fill it out.

If the poll is put on the launcher, it should override the Launch function but give the player the option of declining to answer (which is a stat that should also be reported) or putting off answering until next time they launch. Leave it run for a week or so and you should have a pretty powerful sample of the population.

I’d also suggest publishing the results to the playerbase rather than keeping it hidden.

I’d finally suggest not being too overconfident in your in-house ability to design polls properly, it’s actually tougher than it appears if it is to be done correctly.

in CDI

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

Chris

Simple enough, let the pigeons do the dirty work.
You can advertise a new function via an e-mail and dedicate it a separate section.
The new icon may change color once a new survey is available.
No one will be forced to respond, and invasiveness will be minimal.

Attachments:

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Right i am going to drive home. I will be back on the thread in a bit,and then i am going in game.

Please remember that in no way am i going to have time to post as much as i have today moving forward, but i hope we can set up these two systems to allow for the collaboration we all want. And then we can put them into practise.

Brb

Chris

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Chris

You can advertise a new function via an e-mail and dedicate it a separate section.

Personally i really like this idea.

Chris

Right AFK short….

in CDI

Asuka Shikinami.5462

Chris

That’s the next question we have to resolve is folks like the basic idea.

Chris

Just go back to your first idea of making a thread for ‘What top 3 do you think need to be worked on/looked into by the development team’.

- John Smith

in CDI

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

If polls are introduced in-game with an opt-out option, please implement an alternative way to do them.

I’m happy to give detailed, written feedback, but found pop-up polls to be almost as disruptive as the constant reminders that subscribing would make my game a lot smoother in another game I won’t mention. It was the main reason I never got past level 10 or so in said game. I’d hate to opt-out, however, and lose the ability to participate in feedback.

Perhaps there’d be a way to log on to the website and get my questionnaires I would have gotten in game?

Chris, can you talk about the reasoning behind not having a public test server? I’ve never seen that directly addressed, and it seems very pertinent to this discussion about involving the players in the development of the game.

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Chris

The iconography is cool to!

Seriously afk now

in CDI

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Chris

There is nothing to say you can’t pop up a opt-in notice for the first time the player logs in.

“Would you like to turn on in-game surveys?”

“We value your feedback, and as such we are asking players to provide feedback as they play. Choosing “yes” will mean that in certain places you will receive a special chest that contains a survey on the content you just competed."

“For a more in depth discussion, join us on our forums.”

Yes No thanks

“You’ve chosen not to participate, if you change your mind, you can turn this option on in the setting menu under "whatever""

Then, as player complete in game tasks, they are presented with a survey chest, which they can skip, or complete.

I’m trying to figure out how this would work for non-combat/event aspects like RNG, gem store items, etc.

in CDI

Skan.5301

Seriously afk now

3rd time’s the charm, right?

– Euripides

in CDI

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Chris

In answer to above:
Polls could be sent via mail to each account concerning a myriad of items from development direction, to suggestions, to what we liked in the past, what we dont like in the current, and what we want in the future. So much could be accomplished.

It would also be really good to see a developer post these statistics online. Does the community support living story or not? Ascended items or not? The recent zerg updates or not? All of the themed updates or not? The cadence of updates or not?

I for one would be very interested in this. I personally would love less frequent, but larger and more substantial updates.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.