2 Underlying issues with Crafting

in Crafting

Posted by: Joiry.2504

Joiry.2504

I’m not the first to bring up these problems, but I think too much of the discussion centers around supply/demand , which I think is overly simplistic and while a problem, not the underlying problem. While I have a few partial suggestions, none of them are a solution in themselves (ie they are not complete suggestions, and thus I don’t really think belong in the suggestions forum). Mostly I’d like to know Anet’s thinking on these issues, and in a more detailed way than the usual hand-wavy explanations.

Fine Material Gating:
Most seem to agree that these materials are in undersupply in ratio to recipe needs of common materials. Even the non-node materials like leather and cloth can be farmed faster than the needed fine materials. (Personally, I haven’t had issues with leather and cloth, Imo their shortage relative to ore/wood is significantly due to players not salvaging enough – ie all that crap selling for vendor + 1 on the TP)

However, I think supply/demand for fine materials is more of a symptom rather than the underlying issue. Its that they are required for crafting progression in the first place. Which is linked into the “baked in” stat gear we’re forced to craft, instead of blank non-stat’d versions. It boggles my mind that Anet so quickly ignored/forgot the lesson of Nightfall with insignias and inscriptions. But the baked in stats are integral to the system behind the second problem…

Discovery System isn’t discovery:
Don’t get me wrong, the concept is great, but the implementation is meh. Like several of Anet’s attempts to boldly innovate, it got iterated down to something overly simple and not too different from the MMO mainstream. Discovery has a very basic pattern:

Tier X subcomponent A + Tier X subcomponent B + Tier X Fine Material = Tier X component w/ +stats of fine material

Its not discovery, its pretty routine. Its actually tedious and more annoying to have to drag 3-4 items over to “discover” something than to repeatedly hit the craft button in another MMO. Its grind that has been dressed up, and the dressing actually makes the grind worse.

So, what we have is a crafting system mechanistically like most other themepark MMOs, but with a side system, discovery, which actually makes the grind worse, not better as intended.

I don’t claim to have the solution, though I have some general ideas of the direction. Discovery, it seems to me, should be a mini-game that represents/simulates the character learning things, not the player applying a rather simple formula. The mini-game doesn’t need to be complex itself, but should have some element which is dynamic enough to make it interesting from “discovery” to “discovery” and not repetitively formulaic as it is now. Of course, figuring out what a good mini-game is the reason, in theory, I pay Anet money for their product.

There are other elements, which can be introduced a bit at a time, that could really let Anet turn what is a pretty meh MMO crafting system into something more interesting. Like blank stat items and insignias as upgrades. A blueprint system that let you craft any lower level crafted skin as a higher level armor. Eg seeker blueprint + higher tier subcomps = higher tier seeker armor – but maybe integrate this into whatever discover mini-game might be created. Or allowing the crafting of salvage kits and gathering tools (these are not actually gold sinks, since they add more value to the economy than they remove).

In short, bandaging the current system with supply/demand tweaks won’t help. If there are not the resources to give crafting a real makeover, focus on the rest of the game and leave the economy to go as all themepark economies go – a place to sell loot. (insert pun about salvaging the system…)

in Crafting

Posted by: NoOneShotU.3479

NoOneShotU.3479

Cooking has a more pure discovery system, and if you read the threads about bag space and limiting ingredients you’ll see how much people get frustrated by it.

in Crafting

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

I agree that it would be nice if we could craft non-statted versions of weapons and armor to help progression. I disagree about the discovery system not working though; I enjoy it and my only suggestion would be to include more discoveries that don’t fall into the usual pattern (excluding Chef).

Cooking has a more pure discovery system, and if you read the threads about bag space and limiting ingredients you’ll see how much people get frustrated by it.

Cooking bag space shouldn’t be an issue anymore since they made it so you can use ingredients that are in your storage. If you need more space, buy another storage panel.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

(edited by EnemyCrusher.7324)

in Crafting

Posted by: Mario Lemieux.9107

Mario Lemieux.9107

The mini-game doesn’t need to be complex itself, but should have some element which is dynamic enough to make it interesting from “discovery” to “discovery” and not repetitively formulaic as it is now. Of course, figuring out what a good mini-game is the reason, in theory, I pay Anet money for their product.

You already paid Anet money for their product, you’re using their product, their product is great, and unfortunately it cannot live up to the stupidly high standards you and some others seem to have for a massive project like GW2. You’re not paying a subscription, you (do and will) get continuous support and new content released, yet you want Anet to re-work what already is a great crafting system.

We’re sorry the game isn’t too complex. We’re sorry it’s fun. We’re sorry you figured out the formula and now it’s too easy for you.

The only underlying issues with crafting are players like you.