Ascended Armor (Heavy Armor)

in Crafting

Posted by: DarkKnightSlayer.4170

DarkKnightSlayer.4170

So I noticed that there weren’t too many threads giving constructive criticism around so I wanted to put in 2 cents about what I think of the Ascended armors that are about to come out; more specifically the Charr model heavy armor.

My first impressions when I first put on the armor:

1. OMG another armor set with 2 different shoulder guards…
2. What is that on my head? Oh it’s a crown… Not really feeling that.
3. Chest and legs look pretty solid. Wonder how they would look with different colors.

So my first thoughts were not very positive about what I was looking at but that’s when I started playing with the color combinations and I found quite a few good ones that really accent the artwork and the minor details that I appreciate so much on the armor.

Over all, I really do like the armor and the detail that has been put in it. I plan on making this over the ascended weapons for the time being because what I am wearing right now is very plain.

These are the things that I would modify/change to make it what I would call a master piece:

1. Really not feeling the crown at all. When you think Charr, you think of cat, tall and muscular, and ferocity. I would really like a helm that complements those particular traits. Also, I would like to see either more armor around the neck area but I am going to go into that soon.

2. Something that I have not see in armors (other than the mad king outfit) is doing something the a Carr’s tail. Charr’s, especially warriors, are very combat oriented and use any part of themselves as a weapon. Having an armor that makes even their tale look like a viable weapon is something that would impress me.

3. I’m not a big fan of having 2 different shoulders at the same time but at the same time I understand the reason for it. What I would like to see at the very least is more texture/design of the right shoulder. In contrast to the rest of the armor, it doesn’t have nearly the same amount of detail (I am not saying do something drastic like add fur all around it but something more subtle like a nice design on the smoother parts.)

4. The design on the chest armor feels like it sinks too low on the Charr in comparison to the headgear. I feel like it should come up a bit higher so that you can see more of the detail. The back of the neck/spine needs to have something there too since the helm doesn’t go back there for protection. (Again, doesn’t need to be elaborate with spikes or anything like that but something plated that complemented the design of the rest of the chest plate would be nice.)

5. Going back to the ferocity of the Charr race, I feel that the Charr’s claws (both hand and foot) would be better suited if they were either encased in armor or dipped in armor. I really like the cultural Dreadnought Fists when it comes to that design.

All and all, I really do like the armor and the design over all. I absolutely plan on wearing it and wearing it proud. If there is anyone else that would like to comment, please leave details about what you would like to see and give examples of what you like. I have read too many posts of “That’s ugly…” and “I don’t like that.” Even the “It’s cool” comments don’t really help the artist so if you like something, say what you like about it.

in Crafting

Posted by: The Sixteenth.2561

The Sixteenth.2561

They at least though for the tail a “trap door” (sorry I don’t know the english word for it but I think you get what i mean by trap door) that is missing on a lot of armor.

in Crafting

Posted by: VidGhost.3215

VidGhost.3215

Just a quick look at the GW2 Gem store Trickster, Viper and Phalanx armor skins and you can see why those Ascended crafted armors look so horrible.

Its Pearl weapons all over again.. they want us to buy skins!

I just wish they made an expansion and just included everything in that!

in Crafting

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Personally, I never wear a full set of just one type of armor. I always, always mix and match. I have one set that’s near pure (5/6 of one type), simply because it’s Arah armor so I can ping it in the off chance that someone thinks I’m inexperienced at Arah. Other than that, out of my 8 other exotic armorsets on my main (I have one other 80, but I haven’t done anything to it other than gear it up really quickly) they are all mix and match. Each of their armorsets has 2-3+ different sets to get the look correct.

I don’t see the problem. When I looked at all the armorsets, there were one or two things I liked about each of them and things I didn’t like. Same goes with the Trickster Phalanx Viper armorsets.

in Crafting

Posted by: Yamagawa.5941

Yamagawa.5941

Personally, I never wear a full set of just one type of armor. I always, always mix and match.

Bingo. I mix/match armor bits to not look like a clone in a sea of clones.

One of my armor sets incorporates key elements from starter armor (perish the thought — starter armor that looks good?)

Another includes 2 bits from 2 dungeons, 2 bits of racial armor, and 2 bits from random karma vendors (or will, once I finish getting the bits assembled).
//Portable Corpse

in Crafting

Posted by: Zalman.8719

Zalman.8719

The only thing I don’t like about the set is the shorts. Yes, shorts. If you look at it, there’s a lot of space beetwen the leggings and the boots. It’s like the char is wearing a plated short over a simple trouser or whatever. It looks very bad if from the backside and as a player you’ll look at it often from that side. I noticed the neck too, but that wasn’t that bad to me compared to the leg/boot “not-joint”, if they work on that too, it will be a decent set.

On a sidenote, the whole set cries out for a cape, I don’t know if it’s just me but it’s reminding me of GW1 and maybe that’s why.

in Crafting

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Just a quick look at the GW2 Gem store Trickster, Viper and Phalanx armor skins and you can see why those Ascended crafted armors look so horrible.

I just wish they made an expansion and just included everything in that!

… but trickster, viper and phalanx are also very disappointing so I am not sure where you are going with that.

in Crafting

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Personally, I never wear a full set of just one type of armor. I always, always mix and match.

One of my armor sets incorporates key elements from starter armor (perish the thought — starter armor that looks good?)

Another includes 2 bits from 2 dungeons, 2 bits of racial armor, and 2 bits from random karma vendors (or will, once I finish getting the bits assembled).
//Portable Corpse

Y’know what the problem with looking good is? Then everyone copies you. Not kidding, I was pugging a dungeon and a guy (same class as me) asked me to mail him a list of the armor I had on.

in Crafting

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Not sure I would EVER buy a skin…..but Transmutation Crystals are the other solution to FUGLY high level stuff…..and where do you get those?

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Crafting

Posted by: Yamagawa.5941

Yamagawa.5941

//Portable Corpse

Y’know what the problem with looking good is? Then everyone copies you. Not kidding, I was pugging a dungeon and a guy (same class as me) asked me to mail him a list of the armor I had on.

Simple. Include one bit that makes it work, but that turns people off from it. My ranger? Never flashes skin – no sane guy is going to turn down the many flashy bits I’ve walked away from. The sword I’m saving up for? Very flashy, very nice… And more expensive than many legendaries, without being legendary. Most people would love the sword, but never afford it. Tho…. I’d gladly skip that sword for a plain, unembellished sword without frills, widgets, effects, or blemishes. Just a simple, clean sword.
//Portable Corpse