Crafting and money making are terrible here

in Crafting

Posted by: Sartheris.8456

Sartheris.8456

I’ve never seen worse crafting in any game in my entire gaming carreer!!!
First of all, the recipe requirements are high and you have to grind like crazy to hope to make something. And by the time you are ready with the materials you will be way over the level of the item you cna craft.

I have Armorsmithing and I am currently at like 200 or something, and I am 50lvl. No need to tell that I can’t make anything usefull to me, and even if I could I have to buy ALL the materials from the TP which are tons of money.

The crafting disciplines themselves are boring too, most of them are just Make ingredient “A”, then make ingredient “B”, then make the inscription “XYZ” and there. At first I was excited about the recipe discovery method, but it got boring fast. So far I find the cooking to be the most interesting.

And now, there is the problem with the crafted items themselves, you end up with 10 helms and you say “Hey, I’ll sell them to make some fortune”, you check the prices in TP and you see that they are like the vendor price…

Remember the professions in World of Warcraft? They are completely different one from another, and then, you have the element where you would need an ingredient that you cant produce and will have to ask a friend to make it for you or buy it from the auction house. See, economy!

in Crafting

Posted by: Haelis.9426

Haelis.9426

I gave up on crafting on all 6 of my characters. It is a time/money/grinding sink that offers very, very, very little in return. Just not worth it. I always craft in games. Been doing it for 15 years. But not in GW2, it is just not worth it. I can buy food, armor, etc for less than crafting overall. You may not have to grind in the game to level or play BUT you have to grind your backside off to craft. I’m sorry that is insane. Sigh I wish it was otherwise but it isn’t.

in Crafting

Posted by: Sartheris.8456

Sartheris.8456

And now some crazy defender will come explaining that crafting HAS BEEN intended as another way of leveling, which is just making it worse actually!!! Crafting SHOULD NOT be for leveling!

in Crafting

Posted by: kiba.2768

kiba.2768

i’ve had the opposite experience with crafting. now having taken 3 crafts to 400, i am seeing the coin roll in. as in 2g at the end of my playing session for the day. this is in addition to the de chains i did(coincidentally ‘farming’ my mats) earning me about 1g per 2 hours of play. i don’t do the holy trinity of orr like many players do, either. otherwise i’d be earning close to 1.5g/hr.

what i can agree with is that crafting under 275 will get you nothing in profit. just salv your crafted items and save them for later. once you start making rares/exotics then you can see the profit margin increase

in Crafting

Posted by: kiba.2768

kiba.2768

couple more things…
on my main, i have jeweler and armorsmith both at 400. i leveled them both up in respect to my level so i always had new gear every 5-10 levels. this takes about an extra hour of playing to farm the mats needed. not sure if it’s for everyone, because an hour is a lot of play time spent on farming mats(this changes as you get to 80; no more need to ‘farm’ mats as they will naturally be found while playing the end game areas). i got an extra 20 levels as a result. i wish i didn’t, as i enjoy the leveling process from exploring/questing.

on my alt i have weaponsmith at 400. i used the craft once i reached 70 to get the last 10 levels out of the way(experienced much of the game already by then)

in Crafting

Posted by: AveryFarman.2973

AveryFarman.2973

i’ve had the opposite experience with crafting. now having taken 3 crafts to 400, i am seeing the coin roll in. as in 2g at the end of my playing session for the day. this is in addition to the de chains i did(coincidentally ‘farming’ my mats) earning me about 1g per 2 hours of play. i don’t do the holy trinity of orr like many players do, either. otherwise i’d be earning close to 1.5g/hr.

what i can agree with is that crafting under 275 will get you nothing in profit. just salv your crafted items and save them for later. once you start making rares/exotics then you can see the profit margin increase

Unfortunately, you’re right – because of the mess that the TP is in currently, no one’s buying anything mid-level. You need to be making rare or exotic items, at a minimum, to really sell, or produce something that another profession needs to level to actually make money on the TP. Crafting’s difficult right now because of a number of issues, but I’m hoping it will improve over time.

in Crafting

Posted by: Hippocampus.8470

Hippocampus.8470

How is the “mess” of the TP what prevents mid-level things from selling? They don’t sell for a lot of money because there’s more supply than demand, and any trading system that didn’t result in low prices for that situation would be broken.

in Crafting

Posted by: Redrumickey.9672

Redrumickey.9672

To many players are botting for what they want .Why would they pay you when they can set back and watch some tv and earn it the easy way .Bots have killed all crafting and the economy or all the know it alls who tell you they made 100’s of gold but what they didn’t tell you was they were in the game months before you and knew all the ins and outs before the game even started . Its is kind of like insider trading and know they want to rub all noses in it about how smart they are. Give us a break

in Crafting

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

When materials and sometimes RNG are where the big money is something’s wrong with the design fundamentally. The value of maxing a profession is worth more than what you can make apparently.

in Crafting

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Unfortunately, you’re right – because of the mess that the TP is in currently, no one’s buying anything mid-level. You need to be making rare or exotic items, at a minimum, to really sell, or produce something that another profession needs to level to actually make money on the TP. Crafting’s difficult right now because of a number of issues, but I’m hoping it will improve over time.

No one! But… I just bought some rare 65 daggers… when I only had 30 silver -_- Yeah, even rares are cheap at that level.

in Crafting

Posted by: sasxa.1582

sasxa.1582

I’m a Master Crafter, leveled all disciplines on my main character and I didn’t earn any money from crafting. In fact, I’ve spent lot of money buying stuff to level crafts (; But I’ve had fun crafting, made myself all exotic gear (1 or 2 sets), the rest I’m slowly getting from dungeons. I did it coz I love crafting and in the long run I know it will be usefull – for alts, legendaries etc. Hopefully some day the market recovers and crafters can earn few coins here and there (:

in Crafting

Posted by: Hippocampus.8470

Hippocampus.8470

To many players are botting for what they want .Why would they pay you when they can set back and watch some tv and earn it the easy way .Bots have killed all crafting and the economy or all the know it alls who tell you they made 100’s of gold but what they didn’t tell you was they were in the game months before you and knew all the ins and outs before the game even started . Its is kind of like insider trading and know they want to rub all noses in it about how smart they are. Give us a break

Yes, there are bots in the game. However, I think midlevel blue and green crafted junk would not sell even if there weren’t any, for the simple reason that 25% of the population can make any given item, and most make more than they need, so there’s far more supply than demand for crafted goods.

Also, why would bots bother to craft anything? Crafting hasn’t been particularly profitable since the beginning, and I would have thought people make bots in order to get useful things in-game, such as gold and karma and items that actually sell for a reasonable amount.

(edited by Hippocampus.8470)

in Crafting

Posted by: Signet of Forums.4397

Signet of Forums.4397

If you’ve never seen worse, I don’t think you have actually played all that many MMOs.

Also, I was an enchanter in vanilla World of Warcraft, since you brought it up. Now that was a ridiculous money sink for little gain…

Therefore we proceed to write a sig.

in Crafting

Posted by: Zodanemir.9483

Zodanemir.9483

I think your missing out that gear isn’t that of an issue in this game, it’s all about the looks. Skipping some gear during leveling doesn’t make you less efficient at killing things as it does in other games. Consider crafting in this game as a second way to gather experience, i do have to agree though that crafting lvl 80 exotics isn’t as profitable as crafting is in other games. Nonetheless keep in mind that arenanet is a daughtercompany of NCsoft, there is always a little “grind” in the games they create. But if you create such a game as Guildwars 2 it is hard to stuff it up with enough content at release that prevents you from grinding to make money. The first guildwars was also a bit “grindable” because you needed lots of materials for the endgame stuf. The way people look at things is different for every person, it’s all a matter of what you want to do in this game. If the reason is that you play this game just to make money ingame, then this is not the game for you, unless you wanna spend hours grinding or buying cheap and selling for more on the BLTP. I am happy with the little money i make by doing dynamic events and WvW (meanwhile you kill things and harvest) so it makes “grinding” feel less of a “grind”. This said, don’t get your hopes up any soon that you will be making tons of cash out of crafting without doing any effort of going out in the world to gather materials… Bots are unfair and spoiled the game, yes, but even then there are people who actively grind because they find it fun. So if you think you would be making more money without bots, you probably would have about 20% more sale value (raw estimate). I could keep talking, but i think you get the picture.

Greetz

in Crafting

Posted by: Nefar.8135

Nefar.8135

I would have to agree with Haelis. I’ve crafted in games just as long and seen many different crafting mechanics over the years. The more I craft in GW2 the more my annoyance with the system turns into outright dislike. This also bleeds over into my disgust with the ‘trade post’ system…that’s another matter though.

in Crafting

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

I have Armorsmithing and I am currently at like 200 or something, and I am 50lvl. No need to tell that I can’t make anything usefull to me, and even if I could I have to buy ALL the materials from the TP which are tons of money.

You clearly haven’t tried any crafting discipline other than armorsmith. I’m also around 200 in armorsmithing because there’s a point just before 200 where there are no new discoveries and only a few expensive recipes will grant you EXP. Yes, that point sucks, and they should add more 175 armorsmithing discoveries to remedy it, but that doesn’t mean the entire crafting mechanic is terrible.

Remember the professions in World of Warcraft? They are completely different one from another, and then, you have the element where you would need an ingredient that you cant produce and will have to ask a friend to make it for you or buy it from the auction house. See, economy!

You alse clearly don’t understand basic economics. The GW2 economy is based heavily on the players. A lot of people are crafting things that they don’t need right now to level their crafting disciplines. There are a lot more helms being created than there are Warriors and Guardians to wear them. It’s simple supply and demand. And it is possible to profit from crafting, as I’ve done it as a high level weaponsmith and as a low level leatherworker, you just have to craft things that are in high demand.

And now some crazy defender will come explaining that crafting HAS BEEN intended as another way of leveling, which is just making it worse actually!!! Crafting SHOULD NOT be for leveling!

Why not? Because WoW didn’t do it that way? Every single review of GW2 that I’ve seen has rejoiced over that feature.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in Crafting

Posted by: Isila.2574

Isila.2574

1) Crafting before level 80 is not profitable. There are so many other ways (drops, karma, map rewards) to get good gear pre-80 that there’s no reason for people to spend money buying it from the TP.

2) Crafting at level 80 for anything sub-Rare in quality is not profitable for the same reason.

3) Crafting Rare+ items at level 80 has an incredibly slim profit margin. Ran the math on a typical item tonight, an Exotic ‘Carrion’ light chest. Profit margin on the completed item over the raw materials was all of 30 silver — and minutes later someone undercut it even further and the margin dropped to 15 silver. That’s what all the time and/or money grinding Tailoring to 400 is worth to you: 15 silver profit margin on items that require five ectos and five T6 Fine materials.

The economy in this game is awful, and a lot of it has to do with how ludicrously easy it is to mass-farm mobs in the Orr events. You don’t even have to bot to do it — although botting of course helps by automating the process for days uninterrupted, and many players do bot. T6 bones and venom sacs are going for less than a third the price of jute scraps, it is that bad. The only real way to make any substantial money in this game is to either farm bot, or TP bot.

Of course, it doesn’t help that the power plateau is so easy to reach. Everyone is kitted out in full exotics of the stats of their choosing within a week of hitting 80, meaning the only thing left for them is dungeon sets for appearance, and legendaries.

And of course, the absolutely preposterous grind required for legendaries just encourages botting even further. The sad thing is, everyone and their dog is going for their legendaries so they can look cool and unique, not realizing that it won’t be cool and unique when everyone and their dog has one.