Crafting is not good for lower levels.

in Crafting

Posted by: flordelyn.1965

flordelyn.1965

For the life of me, I do not understand why game designers do this:

I have to be level 20-25 in order to gather the materials required to make a level 20 item.
By the time I gather enough materials to make this item I will be level 30 and the item will be worthless to me.

Pretty stupid.

(edited by flordelyn.1965)

in Crafting

Posted by: Fabsm.5897

Fabsm.5897

Crafting is mostly a leveling tool, not something intended to “make your own items”, even if you can do that buying materials from the TP and powerleveling your profession above your actual level.

Fabsm
Guardian of Moonlight Shadow [MLS]

in Crafting

Posted by: flordelyn.1965

flordelyn.1965

So then it seems that if I use a fully leveled character to gather mats and let a new low level character create the items, then the new character will have NO NEED for any low level armor because it can effectively bypass all of the questing content thanks to the huge amount of XP gained in crafting.

This is really stupid.

in Crafting

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

The level requirements change within that certain tier. You might have to be level 20 to start gathering specific crafting materials, but those same materials will make level 20, 25, 30.

RIP in peace Robert

in Crafting

Fabsm.5897

You can gain 10 levels for each full professions (400 skill). So at most, that alt could go for lvl 21-23. Plenty of levels to do

Unless you want him to learn all eight professions and craft all the way to lvl 80.

Fabsm

in Crafting

Posted by: Direwulff.2396

Direwulff.2396

It is usefull when my level 80 with full weapon and armorcrafting can make all the gear for my alt to level up. Made my rare 35,45 ect weapons that way. But yes for the initial char use it for exp but not that usefull for gearing up.

in Crafting

Posted by: Tarvok.4206

Tarvok.4206

If your favorite part of the game is crafting and playing the TP (ie you never leave town), you could head out with a full set of crafted gear at lower levels. You’d just have to do a lot of trading to get the money to pull it off without farming.

in Crafting

Posted by: AdaM.6735

AdaM.6735

Crafting is terrible in this game. Only used for 10 levels.

in Crafting

Posted by: Fildydarie.1496

Fildydarie.1496

You’re absolutely right. I had absolutely no advantage by having a full set of gear prepared for myself every 5 levels. There is no way that this was useful at all.

All those potions I made? Well, I sold a lot, but I an’t argue with the buffs and exp bonus from them. Same with the food I made.

Those weapons I crafted? No, I didn’t make money selling them to people trying to gamble on ectos and precursors.

You’re absolutely right, there is no advantage to crafting; I could have just spent more money have the same result.

-Fildydarie
Hutchmistress of the Fluffy Bunny Brigade [FBB]

in Crafting

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I have to be level 20-25 in order to gather the materials required to make a level 20 item.
By the time I gather enough materials to make this item I will be level 30 and the item will be worthless to me.

Pretty stupid.

You seem to be doing something wrong. Iron can be used to craft items all the way up to lv35. Iron gathering tools requires level 10. Both the iron ores and the mobs that drop fine crafting materials are available in the level 15-25 zones.

in Crafting

Fabsm.5897

You’re absolutely right. I had absolutely no advantage by having a full set of gear prepared for myself every 5 levels. There is no way that this was useful at all.

All those potions I made? Well, I sold a lot, but I an’t argue with the buffs and exp bonus from them. Same with the food I made.

Those weapons I crafted? No, I didn’t make money selling them to people trying to gamble on ectos and precursors.

You’re absolutely right, there is no advantage to crafting; I could have just spent more money have the same result.

It depends on what you perceive as “advantage”.
If the “advantage” is having better gear at any level, you’re playing the wrong game (limited gear progression).

The advantage, as in all thing in GW2, is the ability to choose. You can choose to craft your armors/weapons instead of doing 20 dungeon runs to be able to have the stats you want.

I have maxed all crafting professions and didn’t regret it. Spent these 30g, when they were scarce, i have a title to be proud of, and if some friend would like to play this game, i can easily provide them with a better than average starting gear.

Remember, in this game “advantage” doesn’t mean “better gear”.

Fabsm

in Crafting

Posted by: Fildydarie.1496

Fildydarie.1496

It depends on what you perceive as “advantage”.
If the “advantage” is having better gear at any level, you’re playing the wrong game (limited gear progression).

The advantage, as in all thing in GW2, is the ability to choose. You can choose to craft your armors/weapons instead of doing 20 dungeon runs to be able to have the stats you want.

I have maxed all crafting professions and didn’t regret it. Spent these 30g, when they were scarce, i have a title to be proud of, and if some friend would like to play this game, i can easily provide them with a better than average starting gear.

Remember, in this game “advantage” doesn’t mean “better gear”.

I define advantage as self-relative, not community-relative. So, when I said that having all that gear set aside gave me an advantage, what I meant was I was stronger than I would have been had I not pursued crafting.

You are completely right that advantages over other players tend to be skill-based, not gear-based, but that is not what I was talking about.

-Fildydarie
Hutchmistress of the Fluffy Bunny Brigade [FBB]

in Crafting

Posted by: RollingBob.8502

RollingBob.8502

No, you don’t that’s a lie. I leveled my warrior in armorsmith and was always right on level from 10 up to 80. There were a couple of times I had to run to the TP and buy a few scales or totems, but I always had plenty of logs and other garbage to sell for it.

Maybe you pushed your leveling too fast and didn’t take advantage of all the opportunities because you didn’t recognize them as such? Many do….

in Crafting

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

No, you don’t that’s a lie. I leveled my warrior in armorsmith and was always right on level from 10 up to 80. There were a couple of times I had to run to the TP and buy a few scales or totems, but I always had plenty of logs and other garbage to sell for it.

Maybe you pushed your leveling too fast and didn’t take advantage of all the opportunities because you didn’t recognize them as such? Many do….

I’d like to know what your secret is.

My Guardian is currently level 55 and is still unable to make level 50 gear despite the fact that I go out of my way to gather as much metal, wood and plants as I can find on the map.

The problem is that cloth and rare crafting mats simply do not drop at a rate sufficient to match the demand of the crafting recipies.

The fact that everyone seems to have this problem is proof positive that Anet screwed up and needs to either increase the drop rate or reduce the quantity required.

I don’t want to hear any of those pithy “buy off the TP” comments because buying components to use for crafting gear goes against the purpose of crafting gear, which is having level appropriate gear without having to buy it.

If I wanted to resort to the TP to buy the components I might as well have just purchased the gear itself which sells for less than the total cost of the components that go into it.

in Crafting

Posted by: Matthamew Pernack.5623

Matthamew Pernack.5623

also remember to salvage items just like in GW1. salvaging light armor will give you cloth, medium armor will give you leather and heavy will give you metal.
I also assume they put crafting in so we will spend our money more instead of just hording it.

in Crafting

Posted by: juginst.5018

juginst.5018

I have another problem and I wonder is it how this is intended to be. After January 28th loot improvements, while leveling up, I gather high level material in low-level zones (cloth and leather). So, it appears that once I`ve reached high level I am unable to farm low level resources for leatherworking for leveling my own skill. Yesterday I have got a headache trying to farm jute scraps in Caledon forest with my 22lvl ranger. Most of the looted cloth was wool (and thin leather instead of rawhide), but I cannot use wool and thin leather while my leatherworking skill is 65. So, it appears that the only way to get this mats is to buy them at TP. Having such issue the prices for node-independent low-level mats are rising significantly, because people level fast in starting zones and they cannot farm there later.
Is it how it is intended to be? It looks like I have a few choices: pay increasing price at TP or create new characters to just for farming at low-level zones and then send the mats to the main character. It is a strange mechanics if you ask me.

in Crafting

Posted by: Ninth Requiem.3250

Ninth Requiem.3250

Pretty stupid.

Do you? What material is it you need?

Green wood and bronze are present from the start, and give items up until level 20. Soft wood and iron are present from level 15 onwards, and can be used for items until level 35 (Soft wood), or 50 (iron).
Seasoned wood is present from 30, and can be used till items of level 50.
Want me to go on?

in Crafting

Posted by: Cardstar.1963

Cardstar.1963

Are you guys not using salvage kits? I tend to salvage all whites and blues and you get loads of level appropriate mats with them.

<paste generic, tired historical quote here>

in Crafting

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I have another problem and I wonder is it how this is intended to be. After January 28th loot improvements, while leveling up, I gather high level material in low-level zones (cloth and leather). So, it appears that once I`ve reached high level I am unable to farm low level resources for leatherworking for leveling my own skill. Yesterday I have got a headache trying to farm jute scraps in Caledon forest with my 22lvl ranger. Most of the looted cloth was wool (and thin leather instead of rawhide), but I cannot use wool and thin leather while my leatherworking skill is 65. So, it appears that the only way to get this mats is to buy them at TP. Having such issue the prices for node-independent low-level mats are rising significantly, because people level fast in starting zones and they cannot farm there later.
Is it how it is intended to be? It looks like I have a few choices: pay increasing price at TP or create new characters to just for farming at low-level zones and then send the mats to the main character. It is a strange mechanics if you ask me.

You can also go after things which drops the various Bag of _ items. For jute the Curtis’ farm in queensdale is probably best. The events spawn many bandits which drops bags. They also drop salvagable Shredded Garment which always salvages into jute. The event runs frequently and even when the events are not running you there are bandits near by. The bags are going to give other stuff too but … I see nothing wrong with selling what you don’t need to buy what you do need.

in Crafting

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

Are you guys not using salvage kits? I tend to salvage all whites and blues and you get loads of level appropriate mats with them.

Thankyou Captain Obvious.

in Crafting

Posted by: vesuvius.9483

vesuvius.9483

It’s not so bad – I’m LVL 11 and I just crafted me a sweet Vital Crude Staff – much better than what I was using (a lowe level Power Staff that I looted). Not so bad.

in Crafting

Posted by: Serenity.3096

Serenity.3096

Forgive me for being new, but I don’t understand how to salvage things. I have a salvage kit, but how do I use it?

in Crafting

Posted by: Hanayatori.3764

Hanayatori.3764

Forgive me for being new, but I don’t understand how to salvage things. I have a salvage kit, but how do I use it?

Double click the salvage kit in your inventory, and then click the item to be salvaged. If it turns red, it cannot be salvaged.

in Crafting

Posted by: TheBlueI.3486

TheBlueI.3486

Gathering is even more stupid since most of the time it is far cheaper to buy the components/insignias/inscriptions at the TP instead of craft them from the fine crafting materials.
I’m currently leveling an Elemenatalist alt and started crafting again. Buying from the TP cost ca. 40% of the crafting price.

in Crafting

Posted by: Kozai.8269

Kozai.8269

The problem is that cloth and rare crafting mats simply do not drop at a rate sufficient to match the demand of the crafting recipies.

The fact that everyone seems to have this problem is proof positive that Anet screwed up and needs to either increase the drop rate or reduce the quantity required.

I don’t want to hear any of those pithy “buy off the TP” comments because buying components to use for crafting gear goes against the purpose of crafting gear, which is having level appropriate gear without having to buy it.

If I wanted to resort to the TP to buy the components I might as well have just purchased the gear itself which sells for less than the total cost of the components that go into it.

I think they designed the system so you would have enough “stuff” at any one level to craft. That doesn’t necessarily mean you have exactly the stuff you need for your craft, you may have to “trade” some of it with other people at the TP for the items you need for your craft. If, even after the 15% tax, you still make enough selling the things you don’t need to afford the few items you didn’t personally collect, the devs may feel the system accomplishes their goals.

in Crafting

Posted by: Dresden.1736

Dresden.1736

They really screwed the pooch on the crafting in this game. There is absolutely no reason to bother with it. It’s often more expensive to craft the things you want than to just buy it off the TP.

It’s pretty much just become a leveling mechanic for the rich. If you have 100’s of gold, you can get to Lv80 without stepping foot out of your homeworld.

in Crafting

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

They really screwed the pooch on the crafting in this game. There is absolutely no reason to bother with it. It’s often more expensive to craft the things you want than to just buy it off the TP.

It’s pretty much just become a leveling mechanic for the rich. If you have 100’s of gold, you can get to Lv80 without stepping foot out of your homeworld.

Well you can still gain 10+ levels per profession by crafting. Leveling two professions is 20+ levels. Some crafting professions are relatively cheap to level.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |