Crafting to 80 is out of hand.

in Crafting

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

“False

not all crafting professions go to 500 (only 3 do) 1-400 of all professions is only 7 levels now."

so 7 levels per profession? plus 20+ scroll and whatever the difference between 400-500 it’s pretty darn close.

you’re assuming everyone has exp scrolls, seeing as they only come from 2 sources (a character reaching 1 year or massive achievement chests (every 5,000 points….and given it seem’s like most people are only around 3000 – 5000 based on what I see in guild rosters and random pugs while doing dungeons) the average player isn’t going to have many (if any) of those lying around

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

in Crafting

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I don’t know, this might be a foreign concept for some people but you might want to consider leveling to 80 by a means that is not exclusively crafting, such as… well… playing the game?

……. touted by anet before launch as the “play the way you want” and being able to reach max level with it,……

I also call BS on this. I have seen it over and over in these “ANET SCREWED UP MY BUY A LEVEL 80!!!” QQ threads and i have continually asked for posters to back it up with links to such “promotion” comments and nobody has ever been able to do so.

Show me where they promoted it as a FEATURE (I recall it being called an Exploit after it was acknowledged after the game released) as I would love to see it.

If crafting can still get you 56 levels (w/o scroll) is 24 levels REALLY that hard to obtain thru normal play?

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

in Crafting

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

if it’s 534 gold to level a character from 0-65, then surely it must be around 60g to level a character from 0-60. especially since only 3 of the crafts can get to 500 atm.

in Crafting

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I don’t know, this might be a foreign concept for some people but you might want to consider leveling to 80 by a means that is not exclusively crafting, such as… well… playing the game?

“Play how you want”, buddy. Not everyone wanna level a character traditional way when it’s more time and cost efficient to just craft. Not to mention it’s boring as hell to go out in the open world. WvW karma train makes it less painful though.

“Play how you want” isn’t not the same thing as ‘Demand how you want to play". Obviously, it’s no longer time/cost efficient to level to 80 just by crafting for some people or the thread wouldn’t exist.

in Crafting

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

“you’re assuming everyone has exp scrolls, seeing as they only come from 2 sources (a character reaching 1 year or massive achievement chests (every 5,000 points….and given it seem’s like most people are only around 3000 – 5000 based on what I see in guild rosters and random pugs while doing dungeons) the average player isn’t going to have many (if any) of those lying around”

I am assuming that most people who have multiple alts and want to level this way would have a scroll. Poor assumption but it’s still plenty doable. You can craft this way and it’s going to cost you a lot as it should. It is not hard to level at all. 5k achievement points if you have a main to 80 also isn’t too difficult to get, especially if you do your dailies.

I just don’t see this as a priority or out of hand at all. It is an alternate way to level, that doesn’t mean it’s an equal way to level or the best way to level.

““Play how you want”, buddy. Not everyone wanna level a character traditional way when it’s more time and cost efficient to just craft. Not to mention it’s boring as hell to go out in the open world. WvW karma train makes it less painful though.”

You can play how you want, that doesn’t mean that crafting should be cheap to level to 80. It’s boring to go out into the open world but it’s fun to sit for hours and craft to level 80…to each their own.

in Crafting

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

……. touted by anet before launch as the “play the way you want” and being able to reach max level with it,……

I also call BS on this. I have seen it over and over in these “ANET SCREWED UP MY BUY A LEVEL 80!!!” QQ threads and i have continually asked for posters to back it up with links to such “promotion” comments and nobody has ever been able to do so.

Show me where they promoted it as a FEATURE (I recall it being called an Exploit after it was acknowledged after the game released) as I would love to see it.

If crafting can still get you 56 levels (w/o scroll) is 24 levels REALLY that hard to obtain thru normal play?

There’s a link back earlier in the thread from one of the game designers….

why does no body read threads at all before making comments?

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

in Crafting

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

Someone brought up a good point, if you can craft yourself to 80… now what? If you don’t have any wp’s open, your pretty much screwed. You mine as well just play and open up Wp’s as you go and get gold in the process. If you follow the heart quests, it doesn’t take a lot of time to complete a map.

If your end goal is WvW, just level up in there, it doesn’t take a tremendous amount of time to do this either.

I don’t know, I just can’t see the efficiency in being level 80 and having no Wp’s open in the game.

in Crafting

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

I see the argument that people should actually play their characters to level 80 so they know how to play them when they get to that point, and it is a valid point, but who does that really affect other than the person playing that toon? Sure, if they join dungeon groups and get carried, that is a problem, but most people who join PUG groups now have no clue and they most likely have played from scratch and still have no clue.

OTOH, once I have leveled a char or two and have played for 1000+ hours, I don’t really want to grind out 80 levels again with another toon. The exp scrolls are not very abundant for most people. It would have been nice if they would have kept crafting at 10 levels per craft, so people could still craft to 80.

What they should do is offer those experience scrolls in the gem store so people can level alts quicker. Maybe like a 20 lvl and a 40 lvl scroll. That way people can eliminate some of the grind, but still have to either craft or play the toon. They should also make it so you can use them anytime instead of just for the first 20/40 levels.

To the OP: It is not ANET’s fault that crafting has become so expensive. Prices of mats rise and so does the cost of crafting. Materials were not going to stay cheap forever regardless of ascended crafting.

in Crafting

Posted by: DomDeuce.7896

DomDeuce.7896

Anet’s own Murdock had it on the Beta Forums, which is no longer available. But Thanks to Google and 2 seconds of my time, I have given the reported link.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/12/leveling-to-80-through-pure-crafting-possible-in-guild-wars-2/

(edited by DomDeuce.7896)

in Crafting

DomDeuce.7896

if it’s 534 gold to level a character from 0-65, then surely it must be around 60g to level a character from 0-60. especially since only 3 of the crafts can get to 500 atm.

110g to LvL 56 (7 lvls*8 crafts [all to 400]) right now as of http://www.gw2crafts.net/total.html at this posting.

Which pings the Trading Post and finds the cheapest route, baring the players has 0 mats.

in Crafting

DomDeuce.7896

To the OP: It is not ANET’s fault that crafting has become so expensive. Prices of mats rise and so does the cost of crafting. Materials were not going to stay cheap forever regardless of ascended crafting.

Don’t care that it’s currently expensive. The post is; it’s getting out of hand, and it’s going to get worse, much worse. And the current System is broken with no comment on when it’s going to be fixed. Even if fixing is a timeline for Ascended Crafts in the other 5, or they revert 10 levels back to the profession that don’t have Ascended crafting.

Here’s what it comes down too. It’s insane for a player to Craft all Crafts to 400 for max level. We would like though, to pick 4 crafts of our choosing and get 40 levels from it and not 28. It’s a big difference and cost difference, with the broken system.

(edited by DomDeuce.7896)

in Crafting

Brother Grimm.5176

Anet’s own Murdock had it on the Beta Forums, which is no longer available. But Thanks to Google and 2 seconds of my time, I have given the reported link.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/12/leveling-to-80-through-pure-crafting-possible-in-guild-wars-2/

No I did not read the full thread all the way thru (my bad).

I’ve seen that singular pre-release comment before and it’s a blog quote of from a forum post you can no longer access. Not saying it didn’t exist, but without the rest of the thread, her thinking it is “cool” weeks before release does not mean they cannot alter the functionality of how crafting works. I certainly don’t consider what she said as a “promotion” of the feature (she was just mentioning how it worked and the article writer did the promotion).

in Crafting

DomDeuce.7896

No I did not read the full thread all the way thru (my bad).

I’ve seen that singular pre-release comment before and it’s a blog quote of from a forum post you can no longer access. Not saying it didn’t exist, but without the rest of the thread, her thinking it is “cool” weeks before release does not mean they cannot alter the functionality of how crafting works. I certainly don’t consider what she said as a “promotion” of the feature (she was just mentioning how it worked and the article writer did the promotion).

Heh, you’d make a great lawyer. I guess I’ve fulfilled the proof like asked during discovery. Now I can ask for the same thing, where’s the proof thread that it was not intended?

in Crafting

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

you still can craft to 80 by using only 100g.

Here’s how:
-discovery
-post buy orders for raw mats

/thread

Correction, you will NOT be able to craft to 80 with only 100g.

100g covers 8 crafting profession to level 400, each giving 7 character levels.
That’s 7 × 8 = 56 character levels. You can add experience scrolls that level you to 20, which roughly gives you a total of level 76. Not nearly a lvl 80, less so if you don’t have the exp scroll.

And you can do the 3 weapon crafts to 425 on refining orichalcum at no expense…

in Crafting

Posted by: Yamagawa.5941

Yamagawa.5941

*blink* *blink*

*blink*

Eh?

It costs money to do crafting?

No wonder peeps are so peeved at flippers, farmers and other stuff.

You could bonk them on the head with a magic money stick and all they say is "Stop that!"

Seriously, you can make money leveling from 1 to 500. Oh, the 450-500 levels are a bit iffy if you try to rush them, and there’s a few levels where you myst craft at an expense, but you can still make good bank leveling up this way.

Oh, I get it. They want to craft 0 to 80 in one session, fast like! Hum. I suppose that’s possible, but I don’t think it was directly intended as a play style, more as a ’if you really want to go to the expense....’ With the implicit currency inflation and balancing of prices in the game, ultimately speed crafting to 80 becomes an exercise in either ultimate stockpiling and preplanning, or in massive expense.

It’s the nature of the system, folks. If you try to rush things, they get expensive. Far cheaper it is to level at a profit, or to kill stuff, explore, do events... But those all take time
//Portable Corpse

Time is money. Money is time. Pick one.

in Crafting

Brother Grimm.5176

Heh, you’d make a great lawyer. I guess I’ve fulfilled the proof like asked during discovery. Now I can ask for the same thing, where’s the proof thread that it was not intended?

What if it was intended but they have changed their minds about it? They have NOT removed it from the game, just change it to cost more. To be honest, I think the change was inadvertent with the change to 500 crafting, but since they have not knee-jerked and reverted it after all the QQing going on, it does appear they have any intention of reverting it back.

I still consider it an Exploit at worse and a lazy method of leveling at best. I don’t consider it actually PLAYING the game. That’s my opinion (and I’m sticking to it no matter the smell).