Farming is out of whack

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

So I took a break from farming the Cursed Shore events to kill some Icebrood in Frostgorge for Corrupted Lodestones when suddenly it dawned on me: why?

Why would just farm stuff directly when it is far more efficient to just use the gold you get from Cursed Shore framing and buy the stuff you need instead?

I didn’t get a single Corrupted Lodestone, or any other worthwhile drop. Had I spent the time in Cursed Shore I probably would’ve gotten a few Rares as well as enough gold to buy at least a couple of Corrupted Lodestones. By farming for the Corrupted Lodestones, I gain less Lodestones per hour than if I was farming Cursed Shore.

Notice to any Dev who might be reading: Do not nerf Cursed Shore. Buff direct farming.

EDIT: Wow, really? 200 views and no replies?

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

(edited by Oglaf.1074)

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Posted by: mcarswell.3768

mcarswell.3768

no replies because you didn’t ask a question or post anything opinionated that would stimulate conversation. you posted a simple fact that most people already know.

Berner | Nitzerebb | Suna | Shivayanama
[TSFR] – Jade Quarry

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Oglaf.1074

no replies because you didn’t ask a question or post anything opinionated that would stimulate conversation. you posted a simple fact that most people already know.

Really? Most people already know, and yet nothing has been done about it?

Do you even lift, bro?

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Too late. They already nerfed Cursed Shore with the addition of Champs. Less loot now from events.

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

So I took a break from farming the Cursed Shore events to kill some Icebrood in Frostgorge for Corrupted Lodestones when suddenly it dawned on me: why?

Why would just farm stuff directly when it is far more efficient to just use the gold you get from Cursed Shore framing and buy the stuff you need instead?

I didn’t get a single Corrupted Lodestone, or any other worthwhile drop. Had I spent the time in Cursed Shore I probably would’ve gotten a few Rares as well as enough gold to buy at least a couple of Corrupted Lodestones. By farming for the Corrupted Lodestones, I gain less Lodestones per hour than if I was farming Cursed Shore.

Notice to any Dev who might be reading: Do not nerf Cursed Shore. Buff direct farming.

EDIT: Wow, really? 200 views and no replies?

I thought this was a given? I keep telling everyone that you’re foolish to farm mobs directly if you’re so intent on getting x item.

Lodestone farming is not efficient at all.

People need to look at it as gold/hour, which is directly related to kill rate/ hour

Lodestone farming deals with killing mobs that are widely spaced, most often one at a time.

Shelt/pen farming before the nerf dealt with killing waves of several mobs which could drop you valuable loot to purchase your lodestones.

Two of my legendaries required 200 onyx lodestones. I never went out and farmed Elementals.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Posted by: CassieGold.7460

CassieGold.7460

My best advice to anyone who wants to farm a lodestone directly is to run the dungeon that drops it. Then, promote your cores. Or run fractals till your eyes bleed. That being said, at the moment, I only have 30-40 molten cores from all the times I’ve run CoF…. and running anything else nearly as often as you can run CoF is also eye bleed inducing.

Doing either of those will result in gold to buy whatever lodestones don’t drop for you.

But honestly, as most people could tell you, the drop rate of Lodestones and Cores is low enough that direct farming is not viable. Not even close to viable. This will not be fixed and should not be fixed. By keeping the drop rate of these items exactly where they are, it maintains the value of an item that a significant portion of the player base will never hope to acquire enough of to use for anything.

Let Charged Lodestones be 3g+ forever…. random players will get a moment of insane joy when they find one, and promptly sell it to those of us who intend to do something with these precious jewels.

LVL 80’s: Thief / Warrior / Guardian / Mesmer

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Oglaf.1074

Too late. They already nerfed Cursed Shore with the addition of Champs. Less loot now from events.

Doesn’t matter. You still earn more Lodestones per hour by farming those events.

My best advice to anyone who wants to farm a lodestone directly is to run the dungeon that drops it. Then, promote your cores. Or run fractals till your eyes bleed. That being said, at the moment, I only have 30-40 molten cores from all the times I’ve run CoF…. and running anything else nearly as often as you can run CoF is also eye bleed inducing.

Except there is no dungeon that drops Corrupted. Despite containing Icebrood/Svanir, HotW gives Glacial… which is stupid.

This will not be fixed and should not be fixed. By keeping the drop rate of these items exactly where they are, it maintains the value of an item that a significant portion of the player base will never hope to acquire enough of to use for anything.

Let Charged Lodestones be 3g+ forever…. random players will get a moment of insane joy when they find one, and promptly sell it to those of us who intend to do something with these precious jewels.

Woah… selfish kitten much? Jeesh.

Do you even lift, bro?

(edited by Oglaf.1074)

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

CassieGold.7460

Except there is no dungeon that drops Corrupted. Despite containing Icebrood/Svanir, HotW gives Glacial… which is stupid.

This will not be fixed and should not be fixed. By keeping the drop rate of these items exactly where they are, it maintains the value of an item that a significant portion of the player base will never hope to acquire enough of to use for anything.

Two things:
1) If you want corrupted lodestones, have you tried Arah? I can’t speak to it much, but the only corrupted lodestones that have ever dropped for me have come from Risen in places like the Grenth event. Admittedly, that could have been an ice elemental and I just didn’t notice. I’m still a bit short of my first corrupted weapon, but I put destroyer weaps higher on my list of things to craft, and the falling price of ecto has me eyeing weapons of the mist, so corrupted weaps are back burner for me at the moment.

2) As to the ‘selfish’ comment…. how is it selfish to want the majority of players to be able to get a highly valuable RNG drop? Those of us who craft things with lodestones know that we’re in the minority because we work with rare mats. It takes effort and planning to produce things with lodestones. For much of the populace, that effort is unreasonable. Instead, when they get a lodestone they say: “Oh great, I can sell this for a nice chunk of change! It’s rare and people will pay a lot for it!”

My point is not to argue that “I have items, and I want to be elite because I did X / Y / Z to get them.” My point is that it is of benefit to the entire game to have items like this. It gives a goal to those who will pursue it, and it gives a high value to the people who get these via RNG and never do anything with them but sell them.

I wish you the best luck in your crafting aims, weather it’s a legendary or a crafted exotic, and I hope you find a sense of satisfaction at the end of those aims that you did something which required effort and you succeeded where others simply give up, many before they start.

Cheers.

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Oglaf.1074

Corrupted Lodestones only drop from Icebrood.

From Risen you get those useless “Pile of Blah Blah” which is their “Lodestone”, so to speak.

Do you even lift, bro?

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

CassieGold.7460

From Risen you get those useless “Pile of Blah Blah” which is their “Lodestone”, so to speak.

Was probably the ice elementals at the Grenth event then.

I’m still trying to remember where my corrupted cores came from, because I never got cores in Orr, only Lodestones, so I’m thinking the answer is HotW…. But I have about 5x more glacial cores than corrupted…. could just be a low drop rate compared to the other.

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Oglaf.1074

I’m still trying to remember where my corrupted cores came from, because I never got cores in Orr, only Lodestones, so I’m thinking the answer is HotW…. But I have about 5x more glacial cores than corrupted…. could just be a low drop rate compared to the other.

The mobs in there still drop Corrupted Lodestones. The chests however only reward Glacial Lodestones or Cores for some unfathomable reason…

Real annoying.

Do you even lift, bro?

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Posted by: Black Wolf.7348

Black Wolf.7348

why would you even farm corrupted lodestones to begin with? farming money elsewhere to buy lodestones is much more effective.
Also the drop rate on all lodestones is horrible at best, so why not just farm charged lodestones which is worth the most. 1 charged lodestone would give enough money for almost 2 corrupted lodestones.

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Oglaf.1074

farming money elsewhere to buy lodestones is much more effective.

That’s sort of the issue I’m raising with this thread.

Do you even lift, bro?

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Doesn’t matter. You still earn more Lodestones per hour by farming those events.

Ive had Corrupted lodestones drop from FoTM’s Jade Maw and Dredge. Ive had Glacial drop from Dredge also. I have had charged drop from Jade Maw also. They seem to drop Charged most of the time, but it appears they also drop the above.

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

CassieGold.7460

The mobs in there still drop Corrupted Lodestones. The chests however only reward Glacial Lodestones or Cores for some unfathomable reason…

Real annoying.

Ah…. sounds like incentive to run HotW and clear full instead of skipping mobs and going for chests.

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Posted by: lisamee.2408

lisamee.2408

Its because of botting and/or gem store sales that loot drops in the open world was nerfed the first month or so of the game. So now anything that is rewarding you have to get in a strictly directed and controlled way, such as dungeons, laurels, and a few selected events. Open world hunting was nerfed.

(edited by lisamee.2408)

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Posted by: Nyarlathotep.6079

Nyarlathotep.6079

I don’t mind farming lodestones. I currently have 14 charged, 29 corrupted, 6 onyx and 5 molten from farming. It’s a change in pace from tagging endless mobs and I’ve gotten a large number of t6 mats from farming these lodestones too (esp. the corrupted in Frostgorge.) I do it because I enjoy it though, I’ll farm for an hour or 2, get 1-4 lodestones, then go do something else. It’s not like lodestones are the only loot to drop, the other stuff adds up too. But a charged lodestone, being worth 3 gold, is a better find than several rares, so even if they drop infrequently, it still makes it worthwhile. Granted there are those times where no lodestones drop for a period of time and that can be frustrating, but usually I have pretty good luck. These numbers are just from open-world farming, no dungeons/fractals/upgrading of cores, just straight lodestone drops from farming. Different strokes for different folks, but I enjoy lodestone farming. I find it…relaxing, and it’s always exciting when I find one.

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Oglaf.1074

Real annoying.

Ah…. sounds like incentive to run HotW and clear full instead of skipping mobs and going for chests.

No, it isn’t. The Icebrood in there (which are few and far between) have no higher chance to drop Corrupted Lodestones than those in Frostgorge outside the dungeon. It is only because I’ve run HotW like a madman I’ve gotten a few Corrupted Lodestones/Cores to drop (mainly from the two Icebrood Kodan before Ginva in path 1).

Do you even lift, bro?

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

The days of being able to farm the mats you need/want in an mmo are long over.

This game literally punishes you for farming.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Oglaf.1074

Coupled with DR, that’s so sad but true.

Do you even lift, bro?

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Posted by: Lucas of the Desert.2165

Lucas of the Desert.2165

Isn’t that what Arenanet promoted?

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

I really think DR is the biggest culprit to all of these problems. Sure, there are other issues, but this one is the biggest one.

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Posted by: BigSteez.3152

BigSteez.3152

Two things:
1) If you want corrupted lodestones, have you tried Arah? I can’t speak to it much, but the only corrupted lodestones that have ever dropped for me have come from Risen in places like the Grenth event. Admittedly, that could have been an ice elemental and I just didn’t notice. I’m still a bit short of my first corrupted weapon, but I put destroyer weaps higher on my list of things to craft, and the falling price of ecto has me eyeing weapons of the mist, so corrupted weaps are back burner for me at the moment.

2) As to the ‘selfish’ comment…. how is it selfish to want the majority of players to be able to get a highly valuable RNG drop? Those of us who craft things with lodestones know that we’re in the minority because we work with rare mats. It takes effort and planning to produce things with lodestones. For much of the populace, that effort is unreasonable. Instead, when they get a lodestone they say: “Oh great, I can sell this for a nice chunk of change! It’s rare and people will pay a lot for it!”

My point is not to argue that “I have items, and I want to be elite because I did X / Y / Z to get them.” My point is that it is of benefit to the entire game to have items like this. It gives a goal to those who will pursue it, and it gives a high value to the people who get these via RNG and never do anything with them but sell them.

I wish you the best luck in your crafting aims, weather it’s a legendary or a crafted exotic, and I hope you find a sense of satisfaction at the end of those aims that you did something which required effort and you succeeded where others simply give up, many before they start.

Cheers.

Im sorry but you’re talking about corrupted and destroyer lodes now. Anything with charged lodes have at least twice the value of those weapons. I think the dr could be amped a bit considering its the rarest lode with a high demand

Lill Steez, Norn War w/ Sunrise
Champion Legionnaire
Ehmry Bay

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

CassieGold.7460

Im sorry but you’re talking about corrupted and destroyer lodes now. Anything with charged lodes have at least twice the value of those weapons. I think the dr could be amped a bit considering its the rarest lode with a high demand

Just to be clear, you’re advocating for an increase in mechanics that would reduce the drop rates of corrupted lodestones and destroyer lodestones so as to bring their value more in line with the current high value of charged lodes?

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Posted by: BigSteez.3152

BigSteez.3152

Just to be clear, you’re advocating for an increase in mechanics that would reduce the drop rates of corrupted lodestones and destroyer lodestones so as to bring their value more in line with the current high value of charged lodes?

Id rather see an increase in charged lodes. Which is what i just said.

Lill Steez, Norn War w/ Sunrise
Champion Legionnaire
Ehmry Bay

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Oglaf.1074

They just need to add more Lightning Elementals and that will sort it out. Expect Corrupted Lodestone-like price if you could actually farm the kitten things.

Do you even lift, bro?

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

On my server, Temple of Dwayna (I think that’s the right one) is uncontested pretty often since the latest updates it seems, so farming them has not been a problem, but the drop rate has. I have spent 15-30+ minutes half a dozen times at least and have not gotten even one Charged Lodestone. Before this I had manged to get seven with about 12 or so hours of farming.

I have been doing MORE events lately but it seems to have made DR worse for some reason for me anyway. Back when I was getting a lodestone drop for every hour or two I also used to get nice drops from the sparks, but not so much lately.

They say we shouldn’t have to farm, but yet they make farming crazy tedious which makes no sense. If farming was easier, prices would drop, and we could afford to buy the lodestones instead of the endless grind, or go out and get our own if we preferred that.

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

I wasn’t even aware that people farmed anything other than CoF p1. If you’re looking to maintain some semblance of sanity and personhood, then by all means, continue farming events in Orr. If you’re looking for the fastest way to amass the items you need for a legendary, however, it’s time to to empty your head of all thoughts and join the crowd of zombies farming gold from CoF p1.

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I wasn’t even aware that people farmed anything other than CoF p1. If you’re looking to maintain some semblance of sanity and personhood, then by all means, continue farming events in Orr. If you’re looking for the fastest way to amass the items you need for a legendary, however, it’s time to to empty your head of all thoughts and join the crowd of zombies farming gold from CoF p1.

I have been doing CoF path one, and it isn’t really that much money for me. Unless I use the skill points I get from it as well to increase my profits, I don’t really go anywhere with it. The money gets hit by DR to the point where getting 6s per run isn’t that efficient.

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Posted by: SadieDeAtreia.8912

SadieDeAtreia.8912

I have been doing CoF path one, and it isn’t really that much money for me. Unless I use the skill points I get from it as well to increase my profits, I don’t really go anywhere with it. The money gets hit by DR to the point where getting 6s per run isn’t that efficient.

Having multiple characters at 80 helps a lot with tokens. More tokens increases average gold gain per hour unless, ofc, if you are feeling stupid and use it for mystic toilet dumps.

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

I’m confused. How does one only get 6s per run? It’s my understanding the the first boss alone drops 10s…14s w/omonom bars.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Farming is out of whack

in Crafting

Posted by: Leath.3017

Leath.3017

They should make more good farming spots around. Spread it a bit. Now the only decent farming area, cursed shored is gone with the champs being included. I don’t like spending an eternity on a game and getting there slowly. They want u to pull out your credit card and spend more to get anywhere in this game. Farming in this game blows!!!!!!