Fishing as a Gathering craft and Cooking/500

in Crafting

Posted by: Gummy.4278

Gummy.4278

I would simply love a relaxing Gathering craft like fishing added to the game not to mention all the meats that this could bring to Cooking to push it to ascended level.

Since also on the fact of meats needed for 500 cooking how about PORK being added to the drop table of meats as well. I mean Bacon, of course Bacon, how can we live without Bacon. If there was any question you need to ask, I think Bacon sums up the answer. How about bacon wrapped shrimp, is a recipe that comes to mind that could combine fishing to get the shrimp and getting bacon from one of the many boar running around. Who ever first thought of wrapping something in bacon is a genius. But enough ranting about Bacon, back to the main topic Fishing.

How should Fishing be brought to Guild Wars 2:
First you need to have the gathering tools.
Your Pole + Lure/Bait.
I think the pole should just be a visual that mimics the other gathers when you cast your lure…..the Lure/Bait would work the same as the other Gathering tools do. So worms would be the equivalent of the copper pick and would get a new slot on the hero tab. You would buy these in the same stacks that all the other gathering tools are stacked into.
None of the other current gather crafts have you getting useless items unless you are trying to use the wrong pick to gather from a higher tier node, so apply the same to the lure/bait, you would still catch a fish, but one that had no useful recipes.

Also let us fish anywhere there is water not just nodes. Allow the nodes to catch three to five fish of the types for that tier in the same time it takes to do mining or chopping down a tree. But when you drop your line in an open area you can slow down and take time to fish for really big catches or catch other things like shrimp, crayfish or oysters maybe the ascended item for cooking 500 is caught in this way, with a chance of the fish being the one that got away. The main thing is you can treat it like a regular gather or slow down and enjoy it more like the real thing.

in Crafting

Posted by: iFruit.6190

iFruit.6190

More ideas:

A) fishing as a way to work on cooking 400-500 (separate food gathering profession is pointless):
– gathering tool for the range level is a variety of fishing rods/poles with differing drop rate characteristics (white/blue/green/yellow/orange/ascended), with a variety of ways to obtain rare variations of rods through fishing achievements and/or rare random drops for running top tire content + a version for the gem store (see Black Lion Salvage Kit);
– all 400-500 cooking recipes are based on fish; some of them can only be obtained through lengthy fishing achievements;
– only new recipe discoveries grant cooking level progression – one level per recipe discovery;
– variety of fisherman attire (casual clothes) with characteristics to boost fishing capability (speed, drop rates, etc.) with versions for gem store;

B) There are innumerable picturesque water masses around Tyria, why not utilize them to full extent:
– hourly/daily/weekly/monthly/yearly dynamic fishing events (contests) with scaling rewards per event rarity – rare achievements and titles included;
– complex achievement system to encompass geography of fishing, rarity of catches, quantitive accomplishments;
– Living World timed fishing events.

Would be really irresponsible to miss out on what Fishing can offer to a horizontal progression-based game focused on exploration and socialization.
-

(edited by iFruit.6190)

in Crafting

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I would simply love a relaxing Gathering craft like fishing added to the game not to mention all the meats that this could bring to Cooking to push it to ascended level.

If fishing were to be added, it should be along the lines of Sword Art Online. High level fishing = World Boss fish event!

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Crafting

Posted by: Gummy.4278

Gummy.4278

If fishing were to be added, it should be along the lines of Sword Art Online. High level fishing = World Boss fish event!

Which episode is that from? Or is that a PSP game? I want to see what your reference is like, but the wiki does not point to fishing in the anime or game. Can you link a video or something that has the details?

But heck yes, that’s why I want fishing to not just be node farms, but something when you find a pretty scene with beautiful water you can try your luck at rarer items.
Something else also come to mind a raid type fishing trip….where you form a party and take a boat out into deep water. First start by catching bait used for chum where its a race to catch as many as you can before the timer runs out. After that event is over you set your bait to catch a very large fish that will take more than just rods to land….a special rewards would be needed for something this epic.

in Crafting

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

Here’s my predictions:

Initially:
Infinite Fishing Pole in the Gem Store for 1000 gems.
Fishing pole at vendor with 10% chance to break on use for 10s.

2 months later:
Infinite Fishing Pole with Watchwork Lure for 1200 gems. 20% chance to generate coral, clams, seaweed, or watchwork sprockets.

in Crafting

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Here’s my predictions:

Initially:
Infinite Fishing Pole in the Gem Store for 1000 gems.
Fishing pole at vendor with 10% chance to break on use for 10s.

2 months later:
Infinite Fishing Pole with Watchwork Lure for 1200 gems. 20% chance to generate coral, clams, seaweed, or watchwork sprockets.

Accurate prediction if ever I saw one LOL

I do agree with OP however fishing and minigames like fishing (like capturing minis for example) would have been a great addition to this game title. I just don’t think they are as invested in this as they claimed to be prelaunch. (invested in the fun factor)

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!