Forging Your Precursor

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: Oreoz.2573

Oreoz.2573

I’ve decided to acquire my precursor purely through the mystic forge (and dragons and dungeons and such but you get the idea). I’ve saved up about 110g and I’d rather not build up another 100g (goin for the shield) just to end up squandering it all on a weapon that i’m not even going to use when it could be put to much better use buying up other materials needed for the process.

Now we all know it’s affectionately called the Mystic Toilet. Aside from known recipes it’s pure RNG with that blasted thing so the majority might call it a financial waste.

Luckily I’m not the impatient type. 4 of the cheapest level 70+ exo shields cost about 3 and a half gold. My return is almost always guaranteed to make me back 1 and a half gold so the loss isn’t as big deal.

At best I’ll pop 4 shields in 3 times, never allowing myself to go below 100 gold unless i just need that extra bit of silver. What the forge returns to me will typically make me back about half of what I spent. That money is then used to try again, again, never allowing myself to go below 100.

after about 15 or so tries i’ve had two named exos come back (Grimward and Jora’s Defender). They are cheap to buy, not being much more than 2 gold but they are STILL named.
Other times I’ll get a shaman’s etched shield of some sort and depending on the type, those can be worth 15-17 gold which is a serious gain and provides the means to try at least three more times.
In the future I’ll keep any named shields I receive until I get 4. I’ve heard chances are better with named exos.

My point is that the MF is a completely viable way of acquiring a precursor if you have patience and I say that without even having gotten my precursor yet. My desire to have fallback funds outweighs my impatience. lol

With all that being said I’d like to ask you guys what your success rate has been with forging your precursors? What did you use? What did you find you had better luck with? That kind of stuff.

cheers

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Didn’t read everything, but you’re doing it wrong.

Why would you throw in shields in the forge, and end up with a 200g precursor, when you can throw in greatswords in the shield, and end up with a 380-580g precursor.

That is, assuming that you are crafting your rares rather than buying off the TP.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

Because he wants Flameseeker Prophecies.
But anyway, good for you, I’m leaving the precursor for last, since I don’t know right now if I want to spend my time gambling.

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Vol.5241

But anyway, good for you, I’m leaving the precursor for last, since I don’t know right now if I want to spend my time gambling.

Then sell Dusk for 580G, buy flameseeker for 200g, and then have 380G left to pay for whatever else you need.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: Jaxon.5392

Jaxon.5392

I got a precursor through the MF, and dude, holy kitten when it pops for you, you’ll be doing back flips, side flips, triple flips, ab crunches, and pretend like you’re the best popper and locker in da house you freaking boss

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: papryk.6273

papryk.6273

after reading this thread I decided to give it a try… I put 4 exo shields from dungeon tokens and the very first try gave me The Chosen

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Oreoz.2573

after reading this thread I decided to give it a try… I put 4 exo shields from dungeon tokens and the very first try gave me The Chosen

You’re kitten me.

Lol

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

papryk.6273

seriously I feel like I won in a lottery lol :p

http://i45.tinypic.com/1hrzba.jpg

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Oreoz.2573

Then sell Dusk for 580G, buy flameseeker for 200g, and then have 380G left to pay for whatever else you need.

That’s actually a really good idea. Lol

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Oreoz.2573

seriously I feel like I won in a lottery lol :p

http://i45.tinypic.com/1hrzba.jpg

I think it’s the fact that you tried after reading my thread that makes it hurt so much. Lol congrats

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

So dungeon weps do work?
were they from multiple dungeons or 4 of the same dungeon?

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: AWSUMSAUCE.4372

AWSUMSAUCE.4372

well if you read my thread you will see that, via logic, dungeon weapons don’t work. i’m still waiting on an answer on it though. And you can toss in dungeon gs exotics, but i wouldn’t try buying off TP…

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: Felicela.2810

Felicela.2810

As I just posted on yours, my guild member last week received the precursor sword from tossing in exotic AC swords, the token bought ones, it took 11 tries, he sold the weapons it made and did not recycle them.

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

papryk.6273

So dungeon weps do work?

i put 4 different shields

well if you read my thread you will see that, via logic, dungeon weapons don’t work.

well if you could read you should know that dungeon weapons do work

(edited by papryk.6273)

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

I threw in about 150g worth of level 80 rare Greatswords. I got some exotics back, but I sold these, bought more rares and threw them in.
I had the same plan as you, having a ‘fallback funds’, selling whatever exotic I got. But in the end, I ended up with 3 gifts and 0g in the bank, and still no Dusk.

I think the description “Mystic Toilet” is a pretty accurate one.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: Shuguard.7125

Shuguard.7125

In the future I’ll keep any named shields I receive until I get 4. I’ve heard chances are better with named exos.

The only part that matters with the mystic toilet is lvl and quality(rare/exotic). Named exotics do not matter, they are simply lvl 80 and exotic.
Quote from Lindsey “Though not all Exotics are “created equal” they are all of the same rarity: Exotic.”

(edited by Shuguard.7125)

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Oreoz.2573

I threw in about 150g worth of level 80 rare Greatswords. I got some exotics back, but I sold these, bought more rares and threw them in.
I had the same plan as you, having a ‘fallback funds’, selling whatever exotic I got. But in the end, I ended up with 3 gifts and 0g in the bank, and still no Dusk.

well of course it didn’t work because you spent all your money. You got greedy. Can’t get greedy. lol
I’m not going below 100g. Literally. And I’m stickin to that.

Plus remember, Im only using exotics. Not rares. Which is why my returns allow me to keep trying.

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Oreoz.2573

The only part that matters with the mystic toilet is lvl and quality(rare/exotic). Named exotics do not matter, they are simply lvl 80 and exotic.
Quote from Lindsey “Though not all Exotics are “created equal” they are all of the same rarity: Exotic.”

ah good to know. Wasn’t sure. Glad I don’t have to save anything then haha

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

well of course it didn’t work because you spent all your money. You got greedy. Can’t get greedy. lol

Plus remember, Im only using exotics. Not rares. Which is why my returns allow me to keep trying.

When all you need is said precursor, people do stupid things. I got another 100g stashed away, might gamble it all again.

And it won’t work with greatswords to do exotics. All level 80 exotics cost ~2.5g each, and the ones you get returned are worth ~2.5g. You’ll lose money faster. Might as well do it with rares, you get way more attempts. Everyone I talked to got Dusk with rares, because they could simply afford more attempts.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

papryk.6273

So dungeon weps do work?

well if you read my thread you will see that, via logic, dungeon weapons don’t work.

yea believe everything you read moron, see how close you are to a prec

Maybe instead of insulting me just go and try 4 dungeon weapons and you will see that you can put them in the forge?
maybe you didn’t saw my previous post but I already tried it and I got the chosen from 4 dungeon shields. but yeah better be an ignorant and insult ppl.

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: Shuguard.7125

Shuguard.7125

ah good to know. Wasn’t sure. Glad I don’t have to save anything then haha

Yep hence the name mystic toilet. Good luck!

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Oreoz.2573

When all you need is said precursor, people do stupid things. I got another 100g stashed away, might gamble it all again.

And it won’t work with greatswords to do exotics. All level 80 exotics cost ~2.5g each, and the ones you get returned are worth ~2.5g. You’ll lose money faster. Might as well do it with rares, you get way more attempts. Everyone I talked to got Dusk with rares, because they could simply afford more attempts.

yeah i saw that today when i got off work. Checked the level 70s like I did with my shield and saw the lowest was at just over 2g.

Well…..kitten. lol

I believe it’s 75+ for rares, yes?

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Oreoz.2573

So dungeon weps do work?

yea believe everything you read moron, see how close you are to a prec

Maybe instead of insulting me just go and try 4 dungeon weapons and you will see that you can put them in the forge?
maybe you didn’t saw my previous post but I already tried it and I got the chosen from 4 dungeon shields. but yeah better be an ignorant and insult ppl.

Don’t even acknowledge him. I’m not sure if it was a typo when he said “my thread” originally but he’s either randomly trolling or for real doesn’t know how to read.

shrugs

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: FateZero.8536

FateZero.8536

I got a precursor through the MF, and dude, holy kitten when it pops for you, you’ll be doing back flips, side flips, triple flips, ab crunches, and pretend like you’re the best popper and locker in da house you freaking boss

I like this guy’s reaction. I’ll probably do the same.

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: TSLlol.4879

TSLlol.4879

Don’t get your hopes up, OP…. I tried to work with the Mystic Toilet the way you did too, but after reforging 256 l75+ exotic shortbows, I’m STILL left with NO PRECURSOR. I’ve stopped at that point, as it’s just stupid. (and you lose gold rapidly with doing it with ShortBows) Currently I’m prettymuch kittened, cause I have everything except the freaking precursor and I’m at the point of putting the game down because of this. (No, I’m not exaggerating…) And the current price of The Lover on TP just makes me want to throw up (300g+ atm)

(edited by TSLlol.4879)

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: Sithaco.4673

Sithaco.4673

Arenanet have stated that named weapons do not give more of a chance.

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

This is what’s wrong with the legendary process. Utter disregard for achivement. Just toss crap into the forge! You’re so legendary!

No insult to you poster. You’re just working with in the ridiculous system Anet has placed us. Give us a scavenger hunt already. At least it might be a real legendary process. >.<

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: Clindberg.5683

Clindberg.5683

I know alot of people hate the method of aquiring their precursor through the Mystic Forge. However I personally find that to be that “hardest” way to do so, and anything else you need is really not hard to get. With “hardest” I obviously mean most time consuming. Really legendaries are getting too common already.

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Vol.5241

FYI I have thrown 300g worth of rares into the forge since release. No precursor.

Then again, I got two legendaries and had Dusk drop for me.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Oreoz.2573

Don’t get your hopes up, OP…. I tried to work with the Mystic Toilet the way you did too, but after reforging 256 l75+ exotic shortbows, I’m STILL left with NO PRECURSOR. I’ve stopped at that point, as it’s just stupid. (and you lose gold rapidly with doing it with ShortBows) Currently I’m prettymuch kittened, cause I have everything except the freaking precursor and I’m at the point of putting the game down because of this. (No, I’m not exaggerating…) And the current price of The Lover on TP just makes me want to throw up (300g+ atm)

No offense to you or how you did it, but I’m not doing it in a way that causes me to lose gold. Never going below 100.

In other words if I can’t afford to try on a certain day than I won’t. My guild does dungeons a lot so lets say I can afford 2 (which is probably the case today) then Ill buy the other two with tokens.

(edited by Oreoz.2573)

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Oreoz.2573

FYI I have thrown 300g worth of rares into the forge since release. No precursor.

Then again, I got two legendaries and had Dusk drop for me.

In not using rares for the simple fact that its not just a precursor you’re gambling for, but an exotic in and of itself. Lol

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: mobile storage.1294

mobile storage.1294

Ahh the Mystic Toilet…RNG is RNG and luckily the RNG God is smiling on one of our guildy who just uses rares from the dragons and has gotten 4 pres.
I just use the toilet now and then to clear invent space or making the commendations

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: Fizzlepip.5218

Fizzlepip.5218

I haven’t done that many, but enough to dissuade me from trying to continue using the MF. Tho of course there’s that one guy (and many others) that have gotten what they wanted first try…

More to the point of my post: The Lover has VANISHED from the BLTP within the span of these 5 days. Now, I wasn’t able to log on last night to check, and don’t think I checked the day before (I believe last time I saw there were anywhere from 4-7 available), but in no time someone has scooped them all up and subsequently driven the “asking price” up.

I repeat: someone has scooped all the shortbow precursors up… Unless of course there has been a buying frenzy and a few other people like us that only need it rallied together and bought them all at the same time. Unlikely.

Still looking for someone that has forged it, because as of right now I’m under the impression that it has been left from the MF “RNG” (yes those are quotes of doubt) and the only way to get it (truly get it) is buying it. But oh, wait…

Guess I’ll have to wait a couple months for ANet to not be horrible on this one. Why, again, is something that has been determined the “end game” been based on RNG this whole time?

Ink The Stained, Fizzlepip, Playground Bullies [SNFU]
Darkhaven
…beware the unicorns.

(edited by Fizzlepip.5218)

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: Dreamer.5164

Dreamer.5164

Fizzlepip i 100% agree that The lover has vanished all of last week there was like 4-5 up all the time whenever i checked i finally got enough gold for one and suddenly there gone there’s been none over the last 24 hours and well looking at the bids it goes from 207g to 300g not sure when the gap was put in but if it was after they disappeared would match the scooped theory.

After this i spent around 60g on the MF and got around 1/3 of my money back but no precursor so i stopped would rather just wait for one to appear on the TP.

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: EnterRehab.3268

EnterRehab.3268

No offense to you or how you did it, but I’m not doing it in a way that causes me to lose gold. Never going below 100.

In other words if I can’t afford to try on a certain day than I won’t. My guild does dungeons a lot so lets say I can afford 2 (which is probably the case today) then Ill buy the other two with tokens.

You’re losing money.

Take this as an example:

If you farm for your mats/ectos to make an exotic item.. You aren’t “LOSING” money, but you’re taking a loss on the value.

IE.
(note, the VALUE of these items aren’t real at all, just using them as an example)

1 tooth = 50s
1 ecto = 50s
total value: 1g
You farmed them: out of pocket cost = 0g
profit margin selling the mats = 1g

1 tooth & 1 ecto make
Exotic item:TP value 70s.
money lost: 30s.

This is the same instance. You’re not LOSING money you’ve saved, you’re NOT GAINING money you’ve earned. And if we know that TIME = MONEY, you’re losing money.

Aeilos – 80 Thief – Maguuma [TTK]

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: Fizzlepip.5218

Fizzlepip.5218

Fizzlepip i 100% agree that The lover has vanished all of last week there was like 4-5 up all the time whenever i checked i finally got enough gold for one and suddenly there gone there’s been none over the last 24 hours and well looking at the bids it goes from 207g to 300g not sure when the gap was put in but if it was after they disappeared would match the scooped theory.

After this i spent around 60g on the MF and got around 1/3 of my money back but no precursor so i stopped would rather just wait for one to appear on the TP.

It’s pretty basic.

Someone buys them all up (or multiple people). Then has his friends but in fake buy orders to drive the price up. Remember how those asking prices were more or less stable for a while now? Now they’ve risen significantly, with many orders being placed in 1 day (many more so than there were being placed for a while now). They drive the prices up, cancel their buy orders, and said person (or people) who scooped the few Lovers up cashes in heavily.

And those of us looking forward to the 330ish buying price will have to earn ourselves another 200g to get it.

Kitten, ANet. Fix this kitten.
—-
Edit: Within the 20 minutes of my original post and this, 3 more orders have been placed that have jacked the price up another 40g.

Ink The Stained, Fizzlepip, Playground Bullies [SNFU]
Darkhaven
…beware the unicorns.

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Posted by: EnterRehab.3268

EnterRehab.3268

It’s pretty basic.

Someone buys them all up (or multiple people). Then has his friends but in fake buy orders to drive the price up. Remember how those asking prices were more or less stable for a while now? Now they’ve risen significantly, with many orders being placed in 1 day (many more so than there were being placed for a while now). They drive the prices up, cancel their buy orders, and said person (or people) who scooped the few Lovers up cashes in heavily.

And those of us looking forward to the 330ish buying price will have to earn ourselves another 200g to get it.

Kitten, ANet. Fix this kitten.
—-
Edit: Within the 20 minutes of my original post and this, 3 more orders have been placed that have jacked the price up another 40g.

Price manipulation only works when people are not logical enough to wait for the price to settle again; and it forces the people who are trying to manipulate to lose money.. easy solutions to stupid problems.

Aeilos – 80 Thief – Maguuma [TTK]

Forging Your Precursor

in Crafting

Vol.5241

IMPORTANT REMINDER:

If you’re going to gamble in the forge precursors, do not put anything other than greatswords. If you get Dusk, you can sell that for a ton, buy the cheaper precursor you want, and have money left over for other things.

CASE IN POINT:
If you want The Flameseeker, it sells for 200g
Dusks sells for 650g

If you are crafting all your rares (which you should be), it costs relatively the same to craft.

But the chance to get precursor is the same, and the value is huge. Selling Dusk nets you appx 550g, so you can buy Flameseeker and have 350g left.

[Permabanned on Forums]