Gift of blades, I just wasted 5 gold

in Crafting

Posted by: Miss Pink Floyd.9730

Miss Pink Floyd.9730

I just spent 5 gold on a recipe for Gift of Blades, If I had known that there would be such a ridiculous amount of gold to purchase the Elonian Leather, I never would have wasted my 5 gold on the Gift of Blades. Furthermore, my characters are at 400 crafting because of the ridiculous cost of getting them any higher, so I can’t refine my own Elonian Leather, not sure how much money I would save making my own anyway. The trading post wants 4.5 Gold per Elonian Leather piece! This is insane, I don’t know why I even bother with this game anymore. I am quite unhappy atm.

in Crafting

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

Why would you buy the recipe before you are even close to the level required for using it?

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

in Crafting

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Why would you buy the recipe before you are even close to the level required for using it?

To be fair, the vendors are leaving by March 18th.

in Crafting

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I just spent 5 gold on a recipe for Gift of Blades, If I had known that there would be such a ridiculous amount of gold to purchase the Elonian Leather, I never would have wasted my 5 gold on the Gift of Blades. Furthermore, my characters are at 400 crafting because of the ridiculous cost of getting them any higher, so I can’t refine my own Elonian Leather, not sure how much money I would save making my own anyway. The trading post wants 4.5 Gold per Elonian Leather piece! This is insane, I don’t know why I even bother with this game anymore. I am quite unhappy atm.

Sorry but it’s your fault. The fact that there are 3 options from the merchant shows that you can make it using the 3 crafting armor professions. You failed to deduce or consider which profession would have the cheapest one.

And complaining about the cost is pointless. You don’t save tremendous amounts of golds making your own refinements.

in Crafting

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

The recipe has been out for 3 weeks, you failed to look at what it required to make the gift. If you wait a while the prices will go down and you can craft again.

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

in Crafting

Posted by: Gunsnroll.2657

Gunsnroll.2657

Plus you can buy it with 3g and some LS stuff.

in Crafting

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

To be fair, the vendors are leaving by March 18th.

As he paid 5g for it, he bought it from Miyani and she will sell it after the LS is over.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Crafting

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Why you spent 5g in something you didn’t even know what it was?

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Crafting

Posted by: Fext.3614

Fext.3614

Well so you bought the bad stuff. Don’t worry it happens. It’s just a game. And the 5g is a full ac run so…

in Crafting

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Sorry but it’s your fault. The fact that there are 3 options from the merchant shows that you can make it using the 3 crafting armor professions. You failed to deduce or consider which profession would have the cheapest one.

To be fair OP mentioned elonian squares, which are the cheapest option. Still, checking on the recipe before buying it would have been smarter.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Crafting

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

Actually, it’s not so bad. To make Elonian leather you only need to get to 450 in tailoring, leather working or huntsmaning (that last one may or may not be a real word). Getting to 425 just requires you refine t6 materials. At 425 it is a good time to make 20 slot bags, which are expensive, but if you think you are going to need them eventually, now is a good time. Also, if you do dungeons and WvW it might be good to make yourself a second suit of armour to swap into (Zerk or Assassin for dungeons, Soldiers for WvW unless you have a conditions based build). With that, and whatever rune gw2crafts.net thinks is cheapest (craft the runes before the armour) you should be just about up to 450, where you can enter the magical realm of time-gating.

in Crafting

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

not sure how much money I would save making my own anyway

If you buy-order all the materials, elonian leather currently costs 2g85s13c to make, or you can buy it for 4g3s6c. So it’s 30% cheaper to make it yourself.

“Cured Thin Leather Square”,20,1s22c each
——Thin Leather Section",2,61c,“buy”
“Cured Coarse Leather Square”,10,3s08c each
——“Coarse Leather Section”,2,1s54c,“buy”
“Cured Rugged Leather Square”,20,8s24c each
——“Rugged Leather Section”,2,4s12c,“buy”
“Spool of Thick Elonian Cord”,1,65s13c each
——“Cured Thick Leather Square”,50,27c
————“Thick Leather Section”,3,9c,“buy”
——“Glob of Ectoplasm”,1,36s63c,“buy”
——“Thermocatalytic Reagent”,10,1s50c,“buy”

in Crafting

Posted by: JoeytheHutt.1742

JoeytheHutt.1742

There really isnt a “ridicoulus” cost to level crafting if you can spend some time gathering mats instead of buying them. Wich I guess you already know.
And by farming t6 mats, you got alot of t5 mats you can sell. You will probably get your 5 gold back on the way.
Also, I think it is smart to farm some ori and t6 foodstuff anyway, as jeweling and cooking is supposed to get to 500 soon.
Or maybe they will only need carrots and copper.
You’ll never know..

in Crafting

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

And complaining about the cost is pointless. You don’t save tremendous amounts of golds making your own refinements.

No he did get the cheapest one to do it, he’s just still complaining about how much it costs when doing it with silk is more than twice as expensive.

in Crafting

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

There really isnt a “ridicoulus” cost to level crafting if you can spend some time gathering mats instead of buying them. Wich I guess you already know.
And by farming t6 mats, you got alot of t5 mats you can sell. You will probably get your 5 gold back on the way.
Also, I think it is smart to farm some ori and t6 foodstuff anyway, as jeweling and cooking is supposed to get to 500 soon.
You’ll never know..

It’s the tier 4 mat that is the problem (rugged leather). When trying to farm them if you are lvl 80 most of the time you end up with tier 5 because of your lvl. Anet really needs to sort this issue out with drop rates etc. ATM the best way to go farming mats like these is to fail events and just farm them mindlessly. Bad, bad, bad gaming right thur!

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

in Crafting

Wanze.8410

You’ll never know..

It’s the tier 4 mat that is the problem (rugged leather). When trying to farm them if you are lvl 80 most of the time you end up with tier 5 because of your lvl. Anet really needs to sort this issue out with drop rates etc. ATM the best way to go farming mats like these is to fail events and just farm them mindlessly. Bad, bad, bad gaming right thur!

Bad, bad, bad info right thur.
If you want rugged leather as a lvl 80, just farm mobs that drops bags that contain rugged leather. Or put up some buy orders for medium lvl 55-65 coats for 7-8s and salvage 3-5 rugged leather sections plus some essences of luck from them.

Its not bad game design by Anet, its uninformed players like you that let mats like rugged leather spike.

in Crafting

Paulytnz.7619

You’ll never know..

If you want rugged leather as a lvl 80, just farm mobs that drops bags that contain rugged leather. Or put up some buy orders for medium lvl 55-65 coats for 7-8s and salvage 3-5 rugged leather sections plus some essences of luck from them.

Its not bad game design by Anet, its uninformed players like you that let mats like rugged leather spike.

Not true at all, I spent a few good hours a few times on different days trying to farm these the way I thought was intended and got maybe what, 5 total (each time) for all my effort put in. Now I’m making 5 gold an hour after finding my new method of getting them and doing my best to help supply the market with them. But you carry on with your idea that playing the game the way it’s meant to be played is the best way. But I will say again, their drop system is flawed.

The fact is roaming around killing mobs that are spread out hoping for that drop can NOT compare to endless spawning mobs via an event due to it being blocked from completion. They seriously need to look at all of this.

in Crafting

Wanze.8410

You’ll never know..

Not true at all, I spent a few good hours a few times on different days trying to farm these the way I thought was intended and got maybe what, 5 total (each time) for all my effort put in. Now I’m making 5 gold an hour after finding my new method of getting them and doing my best to help supply the market with them. But you carry on with your idea that playing the game the way it’s meant to be played is the best way. But I will say again, their drop system is flawed.

The fact is roaming around killing mobs that are spread out hoping for that drop can NOT compare to endless spawning mobs via an event due to it being blocked from completion. They seriously need to look at all of this.

Well, go ahead and exploit events for 5g/hour.
I just made 30g in 1 hour of placing buy orders for coats and salvaging them.

in Crafting

Paulytnz.7619

You’ll never know..

Well, go ahead and exploit events for 5g/hour.
I just made 30g in 1 hour of placing buy orders for coats and salvaging them.

See you really are not doing anything for the market at all. All you are doing is making cash by shifting what is already there around. I wish they would look at this drop system and make it more rewarding for those that kill while they are roaming around or who are actively trying to gain the amount they need to do their crafting.

The problem is they take into account events and that all people there get drops, thus why we don’t get drops 100% of the time anywhere in the world. It all needs an overhaul. Hell I would even ask for removing drops from events if they would fix it outside of events. As for exploiting? Is it my fault if the mobs are spawning far too fast for my toon to handle killing them all in time to res the dead npcs? No, if anything I sent this in well over a year ago as a bug. Not my fault they havn’t fixed it yet, it’s also not my fault that zerkers are meant to be the only ones who can kill them all in time. Oh well I guess it’s my fault im not using zerkers tho. :P

in Crafting

JoeytheHutt.1742

Well, I rarely farm for hours for one specific item/thing. I gather a little of most almost all the time as I enjoy the world, not trying to speed or thinkin about cost and effiency. Before everybody got obsessed with linen, I used to start at one end of the sone and then chain event me through it, earning silvers, karma and xp and with a lot of linen, other mats and salvages, at least 2 dyes (7 once), and a rare or two.
I am sure this isnt the fastest way of doing it, but it isnt boring and I can do it at my own pace. And Im ready for whatever pricespike that comes my way.
But I agree the droprate should be a little better, but I think the idea is to push people to buy gems for real money, so it wont change for quite some time, if ever.

in Crafting

Posted by: TChalla.7146

TChalla.7146

I bought all three recipes for the blades. However, I did it solely because I’m weird and like to collect recipes.

in Crafting

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

For future reference, your best friends:
http://www.gw2spidy.com/
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

Simple matter of look before you buy.

The Spinal Blades are well designed as in being a reward available for almost anyone, but upgrading it depends on the people’s level/needs/resources. kitten expensive Ascended Backpiece though (not that any of them are cheap.)

in Crafting

Posted by: Chuck Nizzle.6283

Chuck Nizzle.6283

Yea, you should have looked before you leaped. The best advice is to just try to follow through with crafting it, and don’t make the same mistake again.

Also, IMO 5g is not that big of a deal. I bought that recipe then realized to make the light version of the backpack I’d need about 100g (crafting most of the stuff myself). So here I am, dumping all my money on a backpack when I could be spending it somewhere else…..
Oh well….

in Crafting

Astralporing.1957

Also, IMO 5g is not that big of a deal. I bought that recipe then realized to make the light version of the backpack I’d need about 100g (crafting most of the stuff myself). So here I am, dumping all my money on a backpack when I could be spending it somewhere else…..

There is no “light version of the backpack”. All the 3 gift recipes produce exactly the same end result, so, regardless on which character the backpack is going to end on, there’s no reason not to use the cheapest option.

Actions, not words.

in Crafting

JoeytheHutt.1742

There is no “light version of the backpack”. All the 3 gift recipes produce exactly the same end result, so, regardless on which character the backpack is going to end on, there’s no reason not to use the cheapest option.

But if you are a tailor, the “light” recipe is the one you can make.
Or?

in Crafting

Wanze.8410

Or?

But why wouldnt you level a leatherworker to 500, if its cheaper to do that and craft the backpiece as leatherworker compared to the cost of crafting it as tailor, even if you already are at tailoring 500?

in Crafting

Posted by: Chuck Nizzle.6283

Chuck Nizzle.6283

Or?

But why wouldnt you level a leatherworker to 500, if its cheaper to do that and craft the backpiece as leatherworker compared to the cost of crafting it as tailor, even if you already are at tailoring 500?

That’s a good point….would have cost me less to level a leatherworker to 500 than conjure up 100 big ones for one item. Wish I knew about that earlier….oh well.

in Crafting

Posted by: Sinaya.4201

Sinaya.4201

Edited: Whoops, apparently I was mistaken.

What is even more frustrating for me about these recipes is that normally if you don’t have the required crafting level to use a recipe, you won’t be able to scribe it.

However, I accidentally consumed a recipe for the wrong crafting discipline that I meant to move to another character due to an errant double-click. It didn’t ask for a confirmation, and didn’t disallow my character from using it despite having 0 levels in the required skill.

Was this an oversight? It’s very frustrating.

Edit: My mistake – apparently you CAN consume a recipe for a discipline that your character has no levels in. Has this always been the case?

Crystal Desert

in Crafting

Astralporing.1957

Edit: My mistake – apparently you CAN consume a recipe for a discipline that your character has no levels in. Has this always been the case?

Yes, it has been that way as far as i can remember.

Actions, not words.

in Crafting

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

I bought all three recipes for the blades. However, I did it solely because I’m weird and like to collect recipes.

I’m here just to tell you that you are not alone.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Crafting

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Yes, it has been that way as far as i can remember.

It always been that way and its not a bug and a mistake. You can have all crafting profession on 1 character and switch around at the cost of a couple silver. I prefer to use 4 character to get all 8 professions, but some people prefer to put all on their main and other just don’t want to level up more than 1 character. So this allow these people to consume a recipe without having to pay to switch to another profession.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD