Here's the thing about "getting" a legendary, give or take 3 years.

in Crafting

Posted by: Slic.2406

Slic.2406

A lot of things in life involve LUCK which is the real world equivalent of RNG. Everybody works hard to be rich but not everybody will be rich. The point being life isn’t really fair. Someone will get their dusk or precursor after 50 attempts and some will get it never that’s how life is. Just like millions will buy the powerball and only one will win, is not fair but that’s just life. Same with tens of equally qualified ppl will apply for job but only one will get it and it is usually for reason beyond skill aka luck.

Making the precursor Weapons RNG, significant cuts the amount of people getting it and therefore making it legendary. Even in the real world alot of things we use today is the result of luck, it just happened by accident.

Why bring the real world into this. This is supposed to be a game, full of art and ideals. Why twist it into the corrupt POS that 90% of real life is? You wanna know something? Most people don’t want to deal with RL-flavored issues when playing a fantasy game.

Or to put it another way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_-NgefsLyg

THIS IS SO FUN RIGHT. SO SKILLED. DONT YOU FEEL SPECIAL AFTER DOING THIS AND GETTING YOUR PRECURSOR?

in Crafting

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

A lot of things in life involve LUCK which is the real world equivalent of RNG. Everybody works hard to be rich but not everybody will be rich. The point being life isn’t really fair. Someone will get their dusk or precursor after 50 attempts and some will get it never that’s how life is. Just like millions will buy the powerball and only one will win, is not fair but that’s just life. Same with tens of equally qualified ppl will apply for job but only one will get it and it is usually for reason beyond skill aka luck.

Making the precursor Weapons RNG, significant cuts the amount of people getting it and therefore making it legendary. Even in the real world alot of things we use today is the result of luck, it just happened by accident.

Why bring the real world into this. This is supposed to be a game, full of art and ideals. Why twist it into the corrupt POS that 90% of real life is? You wanna know something? Most people don’t want to deal with RL-flavored issues when playing a fantasy game.

Or to put it another way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_-NgefsLyg

THIS IS SO FUN RIGHT. SO SKILLED. DONT YOU FEEL SPECIAL AFTER DOING THIS AND GETTING YOUR PRECURSOR?

I don’t make a habit of watching videos random internet ppl link, so I wont bother. I was just making a relationship between RNG and LUCK, nothing more and nothing less. The point being sometimes you need a little luck to achieve big things, in this case you need RNG.

Also, there is no SKILL or very little skill in an MMO so your last sentence is silly to me.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in Crafting

Posted by: Brennen.8051

Brennen.8051

What’s the rush for?

You sort of have to ask yourself WHY you would go through all this trouble when by rights, you do not have to. Those who claim to be in pursuit of a Legendary are compelled to do so.

One thing remains constant… The precursors DO exist! And reports of those who have had success in obtaining one should spur others onward. Be encouraged community, it is out there, just hang in there and keep trying.

Make a choice, keep your head down, and keep pushing forward in your pursuit for that legendary status… Or DON’T! The choice has always been yours, the player.

in Crafting

Posted by: Archer.6485

Archer.6485

I really don’t see why the real life argument should be applied in a game or specifically this game. This game is build around accesibility, even more so than other games. Everyone can be a hero, everyone can gain max level gear, everyone can kill Zhaitan. Sure there’s a certain amount of time and effort expected of you. More time and more effort for better stuff and of course the most time and most effort to obtain a legendary.

But how in the hell can Anet and the game’s player base possibly benefit from a system that gives some people more than others based on a dice roll??? Unless it was intended for a very hardcore playerbase, but then they would just bring gear grind and competing for mob and node spawns back.

This isn’t about real life, this is about a game and what we can do to make that game better. Making everyone as miserable as they are in real life so that the 1% can still feel special about having a legendary isn’t my idea of a good game.

in Crafting

Archer.6485

@Brennen

I’ll tell you what the rush is. I didn’t rush at all the first week, nor the second one or the third. And then after another beautiful day of not rushing and having fun in the game I found out that the work I have to put in to get a legendary has increased by 300 gold. The rushers are fine though, they pay the minimal price.

And now I’m rushing. I’m rushing because I’m afraid that if I don’t rush, then by the time I get 400 gold for the current price of Dusk, will increase again. No matter what money sinks Anet has it will eventually reach inflation. 400 gold could easily take me well over a year to make. By that time the inflation can cause the kitten thing to become 800 gold… So that’s another year of farming right there.

I’m not rushing to get the legendary as soon as possible I’m rushing to get the legendary before Anet shuts down the servers and gets ready for Guild Wars 4.

in Crafting

Slic.2406

@Brennen

I’ll tell you what the rush is. I didn’t rush at all the first week, nor the second one or the third. And then after another beautiful day of not rushing and having fun in the game I found out that the work I have to put in to get a legendary has increased by 300 gold. The rushers are fine though, they pay the minimal price.

And now I’m rushing. I’m rushing because I’m afraid that if I don’t rush, then by the time I get 400 gold for the current price of Dusk, will increase again. No matter what money sinks Anet has it will eventually reach inflation. 400 gold could easily take me well over a year to make. By that time the inflation can cause the kitten thing to become 800 gold… So that’s another year of farming right there.

I’m not rushing to get the legendary as soon as possible I’m rushing to get the legendary before Anet shuts down the servers and gets ready for Guild Wars 4.

^ Yeah. About 3 days ago, I could afford the Chaos Gun, even with it being about 120g (compared to 50-60g 2 weeks ago). Today, I cannot afford the Chaos Gun, and at the current price, won’t be able to for at least a week. And a week from now? The chaos gun will probably be at 300g+, even though everyone’s 100x more interested in the 2hander weapons. I don’t even want to know what price the 2handers will be at. probably will break the 4-digit mark.

in Crafting

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I’m pretty sure the game will add more content in the future. You don’t expect legendary weapons to pop out in a single month.

I have already stated many times that a legendary to me is something that can only be gotten by luck, skill and determination.

It is something that cannot be gotten either by one component.

Luck: Getting 77 Mystic Clovers (yes, these are RNG), getting the Badges of Honor, Lodestones (or Cores), T6 materials, Ecto’s from Salvaging.

Determination: Gathering all the materials to craft the weapon.

Skill: ?

At this point, I need no ‘skill’ to get them (aside from the one Dungeon Gift, maybe).

I don’t NEED to have mastery of the weapon type I want, or the ability to take on a Champion level mob on my own. I don’t need to show that I can adapt to any situation, or have the ability to do any Dungeon.

All I have to be able to do is participate in events, do WvW for a time and get 100% completion and have an AoE skill to make sure I can tag as many mobs as possible.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Crafting

Brennen.8051

@archer @slic

I am in agreement with you both regarding the ever rising prices of the precursors, but I can tell in the tone of the message that you have concluded that the only way to obtain said precursors is to buy it out right from the trading post. On the contrary, it is but ONE way, and one way you have chosen to move towards your desired goal.

Lindsey has made it clear that it is through the uses of the mystic forge that one can receive a precursor.

“Can there be a better way to obtain the precursor” you ask, but I say “Does there really need to be one?” As not to provoke you, have you tried to pull a precursor through uses of the forge? I have… And it is quite disheartening, but I will not give up!

The gold you have saved up and are hoarding to buy the precursor outright from the trading post should be spent on the “tries” in the mystic forge. Why? Like you said, you will never catch up to the inflation.

To be honest… You have nothing to lose! . . . I mean, what else were you going to spend that gold on anyways. Prove me wrong! Try your luck in the mystic forge and see that you DON’T pull a precursor… Because I’m totally rooting for you guys!

in Crafting

Slic.2406

@archer @slic

I am in agreement with you both regarding the ever rising prices of the precursors, but I can tell in the tone of the message that you have concluded that the only way to obtain said precursors is to buy it out right from the trading post. On the contrary, it is but ONE way, and one way you have chosen to move towards your desired goal.

Lindsey has made it clear that it is through the uses of the mystic forge that one can receive a precursor.

“Can there be a better way to obtain the precursor” you ask, but I say “Does there really need to be one?” As not to provoke you, have you tried to pull a precursor through uses of the forge? I have… And it is quite disheartening, but I will not give up!

The gold you have saved up and are hoarding to buy the precursor outright from the trading post should be spent on the “tries” in the mystic forge. Why? Like you said, you will never catch up to the inflation.

To be honest… You have nothing to lose! . . . I mean, what else were you going to spend that gold on anyways. Prove me wrong! Try your luck in the mystic forge and see that you DON’T pull a precursor… Because I’m totally rooting for you guys!

Sorry, there has been dozens of players now that have spent 500+ rares/exos trying to get it, and none of them have got a precursor, or anything to compensate for the huge loss of time/assets. Do you want me to link a youtube video again? Just search youtube, search forums for video links, there’s plenty of proof that spending 300g+ to get NOTHING is stupid, unacceptable and even downright abusive.

Draconic Korean-rng is Korean. I guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Anet IS Korean, after all. I am disappoint, they are being huge hypocrites, and they won’t save face about this for long.

in Crafting

Brennen.8051

@archer @slic

Sorry, there has been dozens of players now that have spent 500+ rares/exos trying to get it, and none of them have got a precursor, or anything to compensate for the huge loss of time/assets. Do you want me to link a youtube video again? Just search youtube, search forums for video links, there’s plenty of proof that spending 300g+ to get NOTHING is stupid, unacceptable and even downright abusive.

Draconic Korean-rng is Korean. I guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Anet IS Korean, after all. I am disappoint, they are being huge hypocrites, and they won’t save face about this for long.

I’ve seen the YouTube video, thanks for that, but you have not said that you have placed in dozens of rares/exotics into the mystic forge. You have no personal experience to validate your claim. You are living through someone else’s shortcoming. I really hate to point that out but you have no platform to speak on. This is purely an observation.

Before you say anything, know this… You CAN do it! You CAN attain your goal! If fear is what motivates you to hold on to the gold and buy the precursor outright, then hold to your convictions. I do wish you the utmost best of luck in your endeavors.

in Crafting

Slic.2406

@archer @slic

I’ve seen the YouTube video, thanks for that, but you have not said that you have placed in dozens of rares/exotics into the mystic forge. You have no personal experience to validate your claim. You are living through someone else’s shortcoming. I really hate to point that out but you have no platform to speak on. This is purely an observation.

Before you say anything, know this… You CAN do it! You CAN attain your goal! If fear is what motivates you to hold on to the gold and buy the precursor outright, then hold to your convictions. I do wish you the utmost best of luck in your endeavors.

Yeah, fear can be a good thing. I’m not about to spend hundreds of gold for nothing. If there was some sort of progress, or SOMETHING involved that’d eventually guarantee me the precursor, then ok, I’d spend the gold and gamble. But aside from the evils of probability and statistics, each time you fail, you are no closer than you were before. You have to remember that. Math doesn’t recognize how many times you failed in the past, the probability stays the same the next time you keep trying.

I’ve faced down 10+ enemy players solo, no problem, time and again. Did I die sometimes? Was I afraid, did I act against my fear? Yes, yes, and yes. But here? After seeing all the proof and talking with others, acting against my fear wouldn’t be courage, it would be stupidity. I have been victim to this kind of RNG before, in other games. I will not fall for it again, because I possess pride and dignity.

I mean, look at the other thread in here, saying to keep track of how many you use up. More data, more statistics, confirming the same thing I’ve been repeating.

(edited by Slic.2406)

in Crafting

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

Brennan

Before you say anything, know this… You CAN do it! You CAN attain your goal!

You do realize that due to the nature of the system, you could literally never get one, right? There is absolutely no guarantee, at all, that you will get a precursor before they shut the servers down via this method.

You don’t become more likely to get a precursor with every fresh try. You have the same kitteny chance at getting it on the 10,000th try as you did the first try.

This isn’t a matter of lack of determination, it’s a matter of understanding how probability works.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

in Crafting

Slic.2406

Brennan

Before you say anything, know this… You CAN do it! You CAN attain your goal!

You do realize that due to the nature of the system, you could literally never get one, right? There is absolutely no guarantee, at all, that you will get a precursor before they shut the servers down via this method.

You don’t become more likely to get a precursor with every fresh try. You have the same kitteny chance at getting it on the 10,000th try as you did the first try.

This isn’t a matter of lack of determination, it’s a matter of understanding how probability works.

Yeah, and how it works is ‘evil’:

1) Before X amount of tries, the probabilities ALL ADD UP, and you’re good to go!

2) After Y amount of tries, these previous Y tries do NOT contribute to the X – Y remaining tries’ overall probability. The probability becomes smaller and smaller as more and more tries are taken out of the total remaining sum. You fall farther and farther into the abyss, and chance are you don’t have the wings to fly back out.

That is the reason why you will hear mathematicians jokingly say ‘probability and statistics are evil’. Because most people don’t realize just how hard gambling/rng owns you in the end, if you do not accept the risks going in. And the risks in this case are gigantic, while the reward is ZERO.

(edited by Slic.2406)

in Crafting

Brennen.8051

Math you say… Let’s do some math then, shall we?

1000 rare Greatsword @ roughly 17.73 silver per synth.

1000 × 17.73 = 177.30 Gold

1000 rares are equivalent 250 attempts in the mystic forge

250 attempts leading to rares only grants another 62.5 attempts

62 attempts leading to rares again grant 15.5 more attempts

15 attempts leading to rares grant 3.75 attempts

We have a grand totally of 330 attempts in 177.30 gold

1:330

now doesnt that look less threatening to you versus the astronomical number such as 1:1000 as some people are seeing. Remember, is 4 weapons per attempt, not 1000 attempts.

Also look at the price of the precursors NOW. If you hit even just ONE precursor, you have doubled your earnings if you chose to sell it outright.

People say it will never happen… So it will pass them by, and happen for others. Then they will cry foul screaming that life just isn’t fair… For them.

in Crafting

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

Math you say… Let’s do some math then, shall we?

1000 rare Greatsword @ roughly 17.73 silver per synth.

1000 × 17.73 = 177.30 Gold

1000 rares are equivalent 250 attempts in the mystic forge

250 attempts leading to rares only grants another 62.5 attempts

62 attempts leading to rares again grant 15.5 more attempts

15 attempts leading to rares grant 3.75 attempts

We have a grand totally of 330 attempts in 177.30 gold

1:330

now doesnt that look less threatening to you versus the astronomical number such as 1:1000 as some people are seeing. Remember, is 4 weapons per attempt, not 1000 attempts.

Also look at the price of the precursors NOW. If you hit even just ONE precursor, you have doubled your earnings if you chose to sell it outright.

People say it will never happen… So it will pass them by, and happen for others. Then they will cry foul screaming that life just isn’t fair… For them.

It does, until you realize that each attempt is individual, failing previous attempts doesn’t magically make you have a higher chance next time.
You could do 1,000,000,000 tries of 80 exotics, and never get it.

in Crafting

Brennen.8051

1,000,000,000 tries? That’s blown out of proportion. Of course you would get a precursor. No, landing a precursor IS NOT like winning the lottery. Obvious reasons being that there are precursor in the trading post and or being held by those lucky few who probably don’t even spend time in these forums listening to countless people vent and nag and complain that they arnt getting their piece of the pie.

in Crafting

Vicariuz.1605

1,000,000,000 tries? That’s blown out of proportion. Of course you would get a precursor. No, landing a precursor IS NOT like winning the lottery. Obvious reasons being that there are precursor in the trading post and or being held by those lucky few who probably don’t even spend time in these forums listening to countless people vent and nag and complain that they arnt getting their piece of the pie.

that’s a large enough sample size to get one, that doesn’t guarantee anything. Ignoring the fact that even a sample size THAT large can profit nothing, is ignorant.

It’s not like winning the lottery, there are people who have them.
Because no one has ever won the lottery before right?

I like when people contradict themselves publicly.

(edited by Vicariuz.1605)

in Crafting

Posted by: lackofcheese.5617

lackofcheese.5617

It does, until you realize that each attempt is individual, failing previous attempts doesn’t magically make you have a higher chance next time.

Although that is possible, the chance is so vanishingly small that it’s laughable.

in Crafting

Vicariuz.1605

Although that is possible, the chance is so vanishingly small that it’s laughable.

0/10 troll post
The current rate at which the forge hands over the precursors is equally laughable.

in Crafting

Posted by: Hippocampus.8470

Hippocampus.8470

Haha, no.

The current rate at which the forge hands over precursors is hundreds of orders of magnitude greater than the likelihood of not getting a single precursor after a billion tries.

What I don’t get about all the RNG complainers is how this is any different from the rare drops off specific bosses needed to make the best weapons in WoW.

in Crafting

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

What I don’t get about all the RNG complainers is how this is any different from the rare drops off specific bosses needed to make the best weapons in WoW.

It was stupid there, too. What’s your point? lol

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

in Crafting

lackofcheese.5617

0/10 troll post
The current rate at which the forge hands over the precursors is equally laughable.

Equally laughable? Seriously?

(edited by lackofcheese.5617)

in Crafting

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Items should be legendary because you used them in some legendary undertaking (thus becoming legendary yourself). Like, for example, beating Chuck Norris in a potato peeling contest. Thereafter, the potato peeling device you used would be viewed with awe by potato peeling contest fans the world over and might even be displayed someday in some museum as the Legendary Potato Peeling Device of You.

Not because you crafted your potato peeling device from chicken lips and iron ore soaked in 100 gallons of ear wax extracted at midnight from blind, ur-flea infested monkey spiders that have been taught to dance the macarena while eating tater tots.

Then again…

That’s actually a genious idea! o.O

Your exotic weapon should have it’s own xp bar and achievement system. As you slay monsters with it the xp bar grows but you also need to fill up it’s achievement list by using it to slay unique monsters around the world (Shatterer, Tequatil, dungeon bosses etc.) and once you do all that your mighty weapon that has been your companion for so long through thick and thin gains the precursor status which gives you the option to turn it into a true Legendary weapon.

Make it happen Anet!

That’s actually kind of an awesome idea.

There is already a luck element involved in creating legendary weapons though via the cost of the clovers, which you need to gamble with in the mystic forge.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

in Crafting

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Items should be legendary because you used them in some legendary undertaking (thus becoming legendary yourself). Like, for example, beating Chuck Norris in a potato peeling contest. Thereafter, the potato peeling device you used would be viewed with awe by potato peeling contest fans the world over and might even be displayed someday in some museum as the Legendary Potato Peeling Device of You.

Not because you crafted your potato peeling device from chicken lips and iron ore soaked in 100 gallons of ear wax extracted at midnight from blind, ur-flea infested monkey spiders that have been taught to dance the macarena while eating tater tots.

Then again…

Your exotic weapon should have it’s own xp bar and achievement system. As you slay monsters with it the xp bar grows but you also need to fill up it’s achievement list by using it to slay unique monsters around the world (Shatterer, Tequatil, dungeon bosses etc.) and once you do all that your mighty weapon that has been your companion for so long through thick and thin gains the precursor status which gives you the option to turn it into a true Legendary weapon.

Make it happen Anet!

These. These are good ideas that show dedication.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Crafting

Vicariuz.1605

Haha, no.

The current rate at which the forge hands over precursors is hundreds of orders of magnitude greater than the likelihood of not getting a single precursor after a billion tries.

No kitten, it’s an enormous sample size, it’s being used to show that despite however many attempts you calculate is the drop rate, its not fact, because it’s RNG, you are not going to get a precursor every exact # of swords you use, EVER. And you and your friends are simply writing it off like it doesn’t matter.

I thought this game was supposed to be everything the other mmos weren’t, and here you are saying it’s no different than WoW.

in Crafting

fellyn.5083

Haha, no.

Difference being we’re not playing WoW.

in Crafting

Posted by: Horheristo.3607

Horheristo.3607

Did anyone here even play GW1?
We’re talking about its sequel here.

FoW armor was the biggest gold sink and could be considered “legendary”.
No RNG was involved, yet quite a good bit of farming was.

Here we get a much better complex and appealing way of getting the same status of high end gear – all BUT RNG.

And in case you wondered, there weren’t that many people running around in FoW armors, and actually getting it was easier than making 400g in this game.

in Crafting

Hippocampus.8470

Make it happen Anet!

Yeah, that’s a pretty fantastic idea, actually.

Haha, no.

No kitten, it’s an enormous sample size, it’s being used to show that despite however many attempts you calculate is the drop rate, its not fact, because it’s RNG, you are not going to get a precursor every exact # of swords you use, EVER. And you and your friends are simply writing it off like it doesn’t matter.

You and others seem to be complaining about the RNG as though simply being randomized is the fundamental problem. But that’s true of pretty much everything you do out in Tyria. Whether a mob has any drop is random. Whether it’s a usable drop is random. Whether it’s a profitable drop is random. You are no more guaranteed to get a drop from any given mob than you are to get a precursor from any given Mystic Forge attempt.

If your complaints were focused on how low the probability apparently is, I could sympathize. But so many people are complaining that it’s a probability at all, thus completely disregarding all the other things that are as well.

I thought this game was supposed to be everything the other mmos weren’t, and here you are saying it’s no different than WoW.

I only brought up WoW because there were a couple people on the last page who said they preferred how WoW did legendaries. Which seemed silly to me because I can’t tell how the specific RNG aspect most people are complaining about is significantly different.

(edited by Hippocampus.8470)

in Crafting

Vicariuz.1605

Make it happen Anet!

Yeah, that’s a pretty fantastic idea, actually.

Haha, no.

You and others seem to be complaining about the RNG as though simply being randomized is the fundamental problem. But that’s true of pretty much everything you do out in Tyria. Whether a mob has any drop is random. Whether it’s a usable drop is random. Whether it’s a profitable drop is random. You are no more guaranteed to get a drop from any given mob than you are to get a precursor from any given Mystic Forge attempt.

If your complaints were focused on how low the probability apparently is, I could sympathize. But so many people are complaining that it’s a probability at all, thus completely disregarding all the other things that are as well.

I only brought up WoW because there were a couple people on the last page who said they preferred how WoW did legendaries. Which seemed silly to me because I can’t tell how the specific RNG aspect most people are complaining about is significantly different.

We must be playing different games, because there are clearly better farming areas for different items. Farming mobs for precursor’s or specific exotics isn’t a feasible option, because of the DR system, and because of the astronomically low % to drop to start with.

All of my posts ARE focused on how low the chance to obtain one are, in conjunction with the fact that the current RNG system is bad. You would know if you actually read the posts before replying, with the same, it’s fine leave it as it is attitude.

They aren’t arguing whether the RNG is the same in wow and gw, they are arguing to get the RNG removed or at least reduced to a reasonable amount. It is a slap in the face to put over 400g into the forge FOR NOTHING. Maybe you don’t see it like that because you haven’t actually put 400g into it, but for those of us who ARE losing sums of money due to this flawed system it’s a completely abusive feeling.

in Crafting

lackofcheese.5617

With 350g you can have a 100% chance to obtain Dusk right now.

in Crafting

Vicariuz.1605

Then where is mine?? lemme check my inventory, nope just a couple breath of flames.

Oh you mean buy it off the TP? So every one should have to farm the gold to buy it off the TP now. After the other discussions lead to, “well you don’t have to buy it, you could forge it yourself.”

Oh btw, its 375g now. 3 minutes after your post.

it gets better, its now 410g. 15 minutes after I editted this post last.

in Crafting

Archer.6485

@Brennen

Thanks for your positive outlook. Maybe I would go for the Mystic Forge route although that would definitely throw me out of the TP race. But I really don’t like what the current chances are. Not only am I going after Dusk which means I could end up with Dawn instead ( I could sell it but I still couldn’t afford Dusk with that, especially after taxes).

The fact that there are so few precursors on the TP has me thinking that the chances really are too low right now. Imo they should at the very least increase the drop chances a bit.

in Crafting

Posted by: urtv.8791

urtv.8791

if i wanted this rng crap then i would have continued playing aion

in Crafting

Posted by: striker.3704

striker.3704

I think everyone is confusing what WoW grind actually is.

In WoW you literally could not participate in a dungeon, no matter how good you were, simply because your gear determined how ready you were more than how skilled you were. In GW2 I can participate in all content with my measly level 80 blues. I don’t need to grind in order to play the game.

Legendary weapons seem to encompass multiple achievements:
-map completion shows you did everything in the over world
-the gift from a given dungeon shows a factor of PvE skill
-the gift of battle shows skill in PvP
-the gift of fortune shows perseverance in the face of luck
-the gift of [your weapon] simply shows your ability to collect what’s needed

The legendary technically shows many different things. To say it doesn’t show any skill would be false.

D/S/R necromancer F/A/T elementalist
S/I/F engineer Z/R/D guard

in Crafting

urtv.8791

In WoW you literally could not participate in a dungeon, no matter how good you were, simply because your gear determined how ready you were more than how skilled you were. In GW2 I can participate in all content with my measly level 80 blues. I don’t need to grind in order to play the game.

The legendary technically shows many different things. To say it doesn’t show any skill would be false.

-getting map completion is just a matter of time,not skill
-there is no skill in exploiting the various bugs in dungeons.like you said,you can participate in dungeons in your lvl80 blues,just means you get carried by your team.until there is a dps meter,there will always be one or 2 people that get carried by their group
-gift of battle doesnt show any pvp skills.you can easily get badges from daily jumping puzzles
-luck has nothing to do with skill
-gathering has nothing to do with skill

the entire process to getting the legendary has nothing to do with skill.the majority of it has to do with luck and time

in Crafting

Brennen.8051

Then where is mine?? lemme check my inventory, nope just a couple breath of flames.

Oh you mean buy it off the TP? So every one should have to farm the gold to buy it off the TP now. After the other discussions lead to, “well you don’t have to buy it, you could forge it yourself.”

Oh btw, its 375g now. 3 minutes after your post.

it gets better, its now 410g. 15 minutes after I editted this post last.

I’m not sure how you feel abused? It’s not like ANet ever forced you to forge a legendary. It’s not for everyone. You may stop at anytime.

And in your case, generating 35 gold in under 15 minutes… Really? Where do YOU farm lol!

in Crafting

Archer.6485

Brennen this isn’t about what we’re forced to do, we’re not forced to play this game at all. This is about what we want to do and it’s in Anet’s interest that we want to play this game. It’s in my interest to play it as well because I really love this game.

This doesn’t change the fact however that we’re being demoralized from playing by a system that is actively gating us from certain content that we really want to do. The biggest problem with the Mystic forge is that there is no progression untill you hit the jackpot. It can be really depressing to loose hundreds of gold(days of play) only to still be at square one.

Anet can make the work towards a legendary as slow as they feel it needs to be but they definitely need to give us that sense of progression while we’re doing it. We need to know that every day we get closer towards that main prize than we were the day before. The Mystic Forge has the opposite effect. Every time you spend the gold on it and don’t gain anything it feels like you’re taking another step backwards.

It may just be perception in a lot of ways but perception is very important in video games. If your perception is that you’re constantly just wasting your time than very soon you stop playing.

in Crafting

Brennen.8051

Brennen this isn’t about what we’re forced to do, we’re not forced to play this game at all. This is about what we want to do and it’s in Anet’s interest that we want to play this game. It’s in my interest to play it as well because I really love this game.

This doesn’t change the fact however that we’re being demoralized from playing by a system that is actively gating us from certain content that we really want to do. The biggest problem with the Mystic forge is that there is no progression untill you hit the jackpot. It can be really depressing to loose hundreds of gold(days of play) only to still be at square one.

Anet can make the work towards a legendary as slow as they feel it needs to be but they definitely need to give us that sense of progression while we’re doing it. We need to know that every day we get closer towards that main prize than we were the day before. The Mystic Forge has the opposite effect. Every time you spend the gold on it and don’t gain anything it feels like you’re taking another step backwards.

It may just be perception in a lot of ways but perception is very important in video games. If your perception is that you’re constantly just wasting your time than very soon you stop playing.

I fully agree with you. Thank you for this.

I guess it time to take a moment and reflect on our achievements thus far as a community and realize that this game is still very young. For the overachievers, I commend you. Complain all you want, but 2 things will happen, either you keep at it, or quit.

I would like to encourage everyone… precursors do exist! They are there. Just keep at it!

in Crafting

Vicariuz.1605

You left out that a legendary requires you to “overcome” luck 2 times, not just once, like every other piece of the puzzle.

500 WvW kills is a couple hours of PvP. Not even close to showing your skill in PvP, as people who are r40+ are learning new things every day.

If it shows your “legendary skill” then tell me where, exactly where does it show that.

in Crafting

Brennen.8051

Ouch! I think you hurt my virtual ego!

/laugh

*cough Anyways… Before all the name calling begins again, I would like to thank everyone for there concerns regarding this topic. So until something changes, I guess we are left with a very aggravated community. I for one will keep crafting great swords, farm events for crafting materials and keep trying for that elusive precursor.

Will I get a legendary. Yes!

When?. . . That’s up to lady luck!

Happy hunting

<3 you vicariuz.

in Crafting

Posted by: Soul.5923

Soul.5923

odds, odds, all I see is odds.

Wanna know some interesting odds?

1 in 5 people will die of heart disease
1 in 7 people will die of cancer
1 in 23 people will die of a stroke
1 in 36 from an accidental injury
1 in 100 from a car wreck

I personally have never drawn these hands in poker:

Royal Flush 649,739 : 1
Straight Flush 72,192.33 : 1
four of a kind 4,164 : 1
Full house 693.17 : 1
Flush 507.8 : 1
Straight 253.8 : 1

I have drawn a 3 of a kind a couple times before. 46.3 : 1.

I have really really bad luck. So much so that if it were actually 1 in 100 chance to win a precursor, I wouldn’t win in 500 attempts or more.

Luck is something I hate, and all I can do is sigh at Anet’s decision to RNG precursors. Work, I can do. Gamble… it’s not in the genetics to win.

I would rather be forced to solo some god awful champion, that kills almost everyone, to get it versus rng.

I’d rather get a special seed from the Silvari tree, and water it with a collection of blood and tears from all of my characters everyday for two weeks, then go to an npc, who only shows up on the night of a blue moon, to get a spell cast on it, so that it will blossom into a special flower that Logan desires as a present for the queen. Once given, the queen becomes so amazed by your actions that she lets you pick a single precursor from the royal treasury, which is bind on pickup!

in Crafting

Slic.2406

I have gotten a royal flush at least 5 times during my lifetime, 4 of which were for money stakes, and 1 of which put me under physical threat. And I still refuse to gamble on the Mystic Forge’s stupid Korean RNG of a precursor recipe. That should tell you everything you need to know about how obnoxiously insulting the current system is to the user’s time and dignity.

in Crafting

Hippocampus.8470

I have gotten a royal flush at least 5 times during my lifetime, 4 of which were for money stakes, and 1 of which put me under physical threat. And I still refuse to gamble on the Mystic Forge’s stupid Korean RNG of a precursor recipe. That should tell you everything you need to know about how obnoxiously insulting the current system is to the user’s time and dignity.

No, that just tells us all we need to know about your ability to understand odds.

And we already knew how you felt about the “Korean” random number generator, since you post about it in every single thread about legendary precursors.

in Crafting

Slic.2406

No, that just tells us all we need to know about your ability to understand odds.

And we already knew how you felt about the “Korean” random number generator, since you post about it in every single thread about legendary precursors.

Yeah, well apparently I’m not posting enough, because there’s still no red response to any of the player concerns. Poker is way more enjoyable, rng/luck-wise, and you get to play for actual money, attracting all sorts of competitive opponents. AND. I didn’t need to get those royal flushes to still come out ahead at the end of the day.

Here, I’m not competing against anyone, but I’d still need a royal flush to win ANYTHING. Sorry, but I don’t roll that way, and since I have the time and a 4G cell phone, I don’t even need to be at my desktop to post. So, I’m going to see just how much evidence and player discontent anet need in order to start making changes at a reasonable pace.

Consider this yet another bump by me.

(edited by Slic.2406)

in Crafting

urtv.8791

this isnt korean rng,this is american rng,which is even worse than korean rng

in Crafting

Posted by: fractalKinesis.8569

fractalKinesis.8569

If Anet likes random, they should make a Dwarf Fortress-like system to making legendaries.
At some point, you just ‘get a feeling’, at which point you must head straight to a crafting station. If you make it there in time (looming Fun!), you are forced to use up some random crafting materials (unless you don’t have them) making something you may not even be able to use.
You claim a leatherworking station. Or maybe the mystic forge. The game selects 50 leather, 32 carrots, 14 ori bars and 4 garnet pebbles from your personal bank, and outputs… a legendary shield with a random model, name and stats! You’re a thief so you can’t use it, but kitten if you can’t sell Ralmotz The Bulwark of Tubes to some lucky shield-user!

It’s RND! It’s exciting! It’s surprising! It’s possibly hilarious!
But most of all… it’s ‘dynamic’! And GW2 is all about the dynamic.

Xiro, High Five Warriors [HFW], Jade Quarry

in Crafting

Posted by: Incendom.6825

Incendom.6825

Woho … I can finally post in the forum. Been reading the posts everywhere for weeks… now that I am in I would like to say this isint where I parked my car…

FG
Desolation

in Crafting

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

How about just make a system to get them that doesn’t rely on RNG that is actually fun for more than 1% of the games population? Problem solved.

How about no.

Yet funny how “craft a Legendary weapon” is part of the Achievement on your character panel and thus is something almost everybody is pursuing.

This isn’t WoW, Legendaries are not supposed to be rare. It’s GW2s form of endgame. It’s something people pursue once they hit level 80.

Everyone wants one, everyone expects to get one if they work for it.

Deal with it.

in Crafting

Posted by: RamzaBehoulve.5640

RamzaBehoulve.5640

It’s not RNG if you buy it from someone who is selling it.

Don’t want to pay to bypass RNG? Fine, then pray. Your own kitten choice.

in Crafting

fellyn.5083

It’s funny that if we don’t want to deal with RNG we have to deal with insane prices on the market. But if we don’t want to deal with insane prices on the market we have to deal with kitteny RNG. And so on in a pretty little circle.

Do people really lack the imagination these days to think that RNG is the only acceptable way to get something done?