Is crafting jsut a money sink?

in Crafting

Posted by: That Other Guy.7351

That Other Guy.7351

I’ve found it pretty difficult and expensive to keep 1 profession caught up to my level, let alone 2 and there just doesn’t seem to be any benefit as near as I can tell. I can easily get XP from other sources and I can just sell mats on the trading post and buy whatever gear I need and have money left over instead of losing money by crafting.

Is there any reason to take up crafting other than legendaries?

in Crafting

Posted by: Shanseala.6310

Shanseala.6310

Crafting (or buying the crafted) exotics are arguably the best way to get the first exotics. But you could just as well find a crafting buddy you trust to do the same thing, or buy that exotic on the trading post. Its really good xp if you want that. But other than that, crafting, like all other forms of progression, is purely optional and won’t give you an edge.

Because of the xp boost you get from crafting, and how easy it can be, many people still craft. Also since the TP was down, many people hoarded crafting mats til it went up, causing the market to be flooded. Because of these things, crafting for the most part either loses, money, breaks even, or ekes a very minuscule profit.

So no, there is no reason right now to craft if you don’t want to craft, unless you want legendaries.

in Crafting

Posted by: That Other Guy.7351

That Other Guy.7351

Thx for your response. Well getting a legendary weapon in this game makes getting “the insane” title in WoW look like a cakewalk by comparison so screw that, and ofc I just lose money by crafting. I’m still gonna get weaponsmithing and cooking maxed out on my main since I figure I might as well finish (actually having fun with the discovery system for cooking) but won’t do crafting on any of my other characters.

in Crafting

Posted by: madhatter.1639

madhatter.1639

That is not completely true Shanseala. I have made about 12 gold over a 4 day period crafting and selling. Best part is I make about 50 copper per unit after buying all of the mats off of the trading post, then selling that item on the post. 50 copper really is not that much, but it adds up when you make a hundred or two sales per day.

in Crafting

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

In my opinion, crafting is the easiest way to get Exotics which have exactly the stats you need – not a small benefit, that (why would I spend over 100k karma on exotic armor which neither has the stats I want nor looks which I like?)

Also, there are people who simply have fun doing it

Polka will never die

in Crafting

Posted by: Maxster.4521

Maxster.4521

There is a certain areas, that are profitable, for now. But overall, crafting is a big money sink.

in Crafting

Posted by: LittleZoe.4970

LittleZoe.4970

I just craft for fun…. i don’t mind if i don’t get much money by it… i generally do it to create stuff for myself anyway

Also… how can you not level your crafting profession along with your own level? My artificer is around 88, jeweler is around 65 and i’m just lvl 27…

Zoe Clawstorm – Norn Necromancer

in Crafting

Posted by: mangarrage.1062

mangarrage.1062

It is like everything else. It is a money sink if you make it one.
Jewelcrafting as an example I spent 0 to get to 400
Tailoring was just thread cost
Cooking was 99% karma cost
Artifice I kinda broke down and bought some supplimental ingrediants

But you can craft also free

I havent had any desire to do the other 4 yet and I probably wont until I level another character so I have the mats and I can level while gathering

in Crafting

Posted by: Crake.5827

Crake.5827

You spent 0 to get jeweler to 400?

Have you heard of opportunity cost? You could have sold the mats on the TP for more than the crafted result, so you infact would have lost money. Unless you somehow managed to get more for your crafts than the mats would have costed to sell you made a loss.

“I gathered it so its free” is an inherently wrong philosophy and you should stop encouraging others to follow it.

in Crafting

Posted by: Maxster.4521

Maxster.4521

You spent 0 to get jeweler to 400?

Have you heard of opportunity cost? You could have sold the mats on the TP for more than the crafted result, so you infact would have lost money. Unless you somehow managed to get more for your crafts than the mats would have costed to sell you made a loss.

“I gathered it so its free” is an inherently wrong philosophy and you should stop encouraging others to follow it.

I like this human. He understands!

in Crafting

Posted by: Scott.4713

Scott.4713

i made lvl 400 weapon and i lost something like 16g…but now im makin my oun rares and have ectos…be sure they didnt put this crafting systeme just to be here and take extra space on our disk’s for nothin’…and im preety sure they will do some kind of book where u find the craftsmen so u ask ,,hi i want to craft X dagger. craftman: ok that will be 20-30silver…and will be more to craft new items will be planted gw2 is 5months old so be patient but make at least the jobs that grants u acces tour legendary weapon/ armor in the future

Have fun!

in Crafting

Posted by: LieutenantGoogle.7326

LieutenantGoogle.7326

I craft because I’m too lazy to level up from 55-75 hehe.

lv80 with skills fully unlocked, warrior, elementalist and engineer
lv80 Necromancer, all professional skills unlocked, working on the final norn elite skills.

in Crafting

Posted by: Oghier.7419

Oghier.7419

Crafting is the exchange of gold for exp.

Snit Dirtnap (Thief)
Ratbag Dogsticker (Guardian)
…Yak’s Bend

in Crafting

Posted by: lisamee.2408

lisamee.2408

Crafting in GW2 allows you to “exchange gold for exp”, and for a legendary. If there were no shop to buy gems for real money, perhaps crafting would be more useful and meaningful, like in old school games.

in Crafting

Posted by: Bartas.4908

Bartas.4908

That is not completely true Shanseala. I have made about 12 gold over a 4 day period crafting and selling. Best part is I make about 50 copper per unit after buying all of the mats off of the trading post, then selling that item on the post. 50 copper really is not that much, but it adds up when you make a hundred or two sales per day.

this is true but not always. There was a time, about a week ago, when I made over 10g making only lvl 350 rare inscriptions and selling those for asking price. I used all my stacked mats that I knew I won’t need anymore. I could even make small profit just by buying needed mats from TP but yesterday the prices of Mithril alone made such money making impossible.

All depends on current demand. Sometimes it is worth investing in some rare, low level reciepies and sell those, sometimes you make more money selling only mats.

Proud member of [BOO]
Thief/Necro/Guardian/Mesmer/Elementalist of SFR EU

in Crafting

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

There was a time, about a week ago, when I made over 10g making only lvl 350 rare inscriptions and selling those for asking price. I used all my stacked mats that I knew I won’t need anymore.

So you “made” 10g… if you ignore the value of the materials.

Once you subtract the TP cut (15%), it’s rarely worth crafting anything to sell. It is, however, (generally) worth it to craft items that you need for yourself, since you can usually do it for about 10% less than the TP price.

- Al Zheimer