Kits for Salvaging Ectoplasms

in Crafting

Posted by: iBigBenis.9832

iBigBenis.9832

Does ectoplasm count as a rare crafting material and does a higher tier salvage kit increase the rate of obtaining an ecto? Ive seen mixed responses, can someone give me a clear answer? Thanks.

in Crafting

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

The black lion ones nearly always give me ectos from rares and I think I’ve got one each time I salvaged a legendary, so I assume the others have different chances according to their level/colour too.

in Crafting

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

The black lion ones nearly always give me ectos from rares and I think I’ve got one each time I salvaged a legendary, so I assume the others have different chances according to their level/colour too.

Salvaged a legendary? O_O

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

in Crafting

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

I would´ve thought that when you´re salvaging legendaries, drops don´treally matter anymore….

But more on topic, wiki propably has best asnwer, check the conversations page for more info too.

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

in Crafting

iBigBenis.9832

gw2wiki stats that ecto is not a rare crafting mat, so theoretically speaking ecto rate does not depend on kit quality. I salvaged 5 rares with the white basic salvage kit (10% of recovering rare mat) and i got 4 ectos.

in Crafting

Posted by: Silver Fox.5632

Silver Fox.5632

Although ecto is an exotic item, the blsk doesnt say “rare”, it says “rarer”, so idk if this matters.

in Crafting

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

Assuming he meant exotic.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Crafting

LameFox.6349

LOL, I meant exotic (I wonder if they do have better chance…). Though I can see myself doing that, since I go through so many characters and they’re soulbound. :/

in Crafting

iBigBenis.9832

Although ecto is an exotic item, the blsk doesnt say “rare”, it says “rarer”, so idk if this matters.

good point, basically all I need to know is whether ectoplasm counts as one of those “Rarer crafting materials”. Can an Anet rep clarify this for us?

in Crafting

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

Yea you don’t want to use a crude kit when you’re going for ectos.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Crafting

Posted by: Azelroth.6801

Azelroth.6801

This is actually a good question.

When you mouse over the ectoplasm – it’s Glob of Ectoplasm (and the text is orange) which means that it would be considered an exotic crafting material.

Whether that counts as a ‘rare’ material I’m not too sure….

Also relevant to the question – the Black Lion Salvage kits give me the best salvage rates for ectoplasm and much more prochances @ salvaging 3 ectos from a higher level rare items (lvl 75+).

Yes you can use basic kits to salvage for ectos also but I’ve never checked if they give better or worse rates than say a mystic/master kit maybe someone can share their experience?

Azelroth [MoM] – Methods Of Mayhem
Commander @ Tarnished Coast

in Crafting

LameFox.6349

Lowest I’ve used for that sort of thing is the ‘fine’ kit. That tends to give me 1 at a time, if I get one, and the occasional 2. The black lion ones are awesome, but getting them relies on chance with chests/achievements, and I think the others are a fair bit lower % for uncommon salvage (what… 30%? 40%?)

Anyway, I’m pretty sure it does matter, but I’m not sure which is the most cost effective.

in Crafting

Posted by: Articluna.4509

Articluna.4509

I’d say it counts as rare®.
Mystic salvage kit 3364 salvages and 3028 ectoplasma (0,9 per salvage) “25% chance”
BLTC salvage kit 306 salvages and 386 extoplasma (1,2614 per salvage) “50% chance”

I used crafted items. Sets of 250 salvages with Mystic salvage kit gave results between 201 and 254.

It’s ofcourse best to use BLTC when you have them, but if you’re looking for cost effective solution for mass production then go for Mystic salvage kit. If gem<→ gold ration goes over 1g for 100 then you might want to start looking at master’s salvage kit instead due increased price of Mystic Forge stone. Point worth noting, as well, is that MFS are best to buy in sets of 10, naturally, but this leaves 1 unused so you’d need 2500 salvages for “optimal” solution x)

Or play Mystic Forge and convert cheap rares to exotic with extra MFS.

Have fun! (Sharing this, well, because I shared it before at gw2’s irc channel in qnet and anyone can easily get these results.)

OooOOoohh, box of shinies. So many shinies!
Outsource rng → profit.

in Crafting

Posted by: AsteriskCGY.5931

AsteriskCGY.5931

Also can consider stones “free” when you get em through dailies.

in Crafting

Posted by: papryk.6273

papryk.6273

you can get a mystic forge stone as a reward from Daily? oO
I have always had mystic coins :/

in Crafting

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Not just the stone, other gem store items too. It seems completely random. Sometimes you get something, sometimes you don’t. The Mystic Coin( and now the Jug of Liquid Karma) is always given for finishing the Daily.

in Crafting

Posted by: forever.6908

forever.6908

Salvaged a lv78 exotic armor piece with Black Lion Salvage Kit the other day, and I got 0 ecto from it, just my luck.

in Crafting

Posted by: Akhet.6527

Akhet.6527

Yep, I had no idea until I got one the other day.

It’s sitting in my bank until I figure out what to do with it.

Varien Sundfor
Council Leader of Flux Capacity [FLUX]
Tarnished Coast

in Crafting

Posted by: Azelroth.6801

Azelroth.6801

Salvaged a lv78 exotic armor piece with Black Lion Salvage Kit the other day, and I got 0 ecto from it, just my luck.

It is this very reason why I would suggest that nobody salvages exotics. The reason being that even if you manage to get 1 ecto – it wasn’t worth more than the sale price of that particular exotic.

Salvage rare for ectos. Either use the exo or sell it. Heck even putting it into the Mystic Forge is better than salvaging it (just remember though that the MF is mostly unkind so keep that in mind)

Azelroth [MoM] – Methods Of Mayhem
Commander @ Tarnished Coast

in Crafting

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

gw2wiki stats that ecto is not a rare crafting mat, so theoretically speaking ecto rate does not depend on kit quality. I salvaged 5 rares with the white basic salvage kit (10% of recovering rare mat) and i got 4 ectos.

Ectos are a exotic item which means they are more rare than the rare items. You just got lucky with the four you got. I use a mystic salvage kit and salvaged 3 rare items and got no ectos. And it has a 25% of getting rare items.

Together we stand in the face of evil!